Tuesday 24 February 2009

Stars shine on Oscar's night

Arguably, the chief function of the Oscars is to serve as an appetiser for the Post-Oscar Party. With many presenters banished from the Oscar red carpet this year (quite possibly a good thing considering that there were at least five presenters per award), the parties gave media and fans a good look at some of Hollywood's most beautiful while enabling them to engage in that most enjoyable of activities: frock-bashing.



The two main parties of the night are the Vanity Fair Oscar Party and Elton John's now traditional AIDS Foundation bash. However, the supremacy of the VF event becomes clear when one considers that Elton auctioned off a ticket for the Vanity Fair party at his own party, upon which, Elton, partner David and auction winner ($60,000 lighter in pocket) hot-tailed it over to the Sunset Tower.



Whether the VF Party can strictly be defined as 'A Party' is another matter - in the words of Mickey Rourke: 'Party? That was just a lot of people standing around kissing ass.' Nevertheless, despite the absence of dancing and the last minute trip to the off-licence, the VF Party provides the unique opportunity to witness a bottleneck of stars, each waiting to enter the party at their allotted time.


But this great article, outlining the philosphy of the Vanity Fair Party, shows that the party succeeds because it gathers in these exotic moviestars on an even, democratic (albeit it beyond the reach of normal mortals) keel - it's impossible to get a ticket so, if you are invited, you will be surrounded by your peers: 'For a couple of years we had this phenomenal dance band from Havana, and pretty much the only fool cutting the rug was me. So it wasn't the dancing they stayed late for. Hollywood people being Hollywood people, all they wanted to do was meet one another. They couldn't stop hatching deals, exchanging business cards, flirting, lying about how they loved the other person's last movie, and just … talking.' Mingling on a Hollywood scale. And yet, like so many partygoers across the world, they also nick the table decorations. The seating plan also presents a challenge...



The accounts of the goings on at this year's VF party make engrossing, if not necessarily flattering, reading. Snippets reveal that Heath Ledger's family was there while Anne Hathaway was a centre of much appreciated attention for being able to hold that last note in the Oscars' opening number.



This video of the 2009 party contains a glimpse of Jake Gyllenhaal in conversation with a very happy winner - Sean Penn. If you can't see the video below, try this link.




Jake, of course, has been assured of his invitation through the years, as can be seen from the photos in this post, courtesy of IHJ.



And many thanks to Metizzl.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

God that picture of Jake and Peter is stunning!!! So beautiful...I don't think I have seen it before. Great post WDW, very interesting about the Vanity Fair party. I kind of agree with Mickey Rourke tough, it does sound like a lot of a** kissing and showing off.

Totally OT but I clicked on the WDW Channel icon and had a lot of fun watching the videos. The Canes series is priceless! I had forgotten how fantastic the "Happy birthday Canes" one is. Thanks for putting them all in one place. I'll know where to go the next time I need something to lift my spirits cause I don't think there is much that can't be cured with a dose of the Gyllengiggle! :)

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It is stunning, isn't it?! Thanks so much, Olympia, for that comment. I'm glad you liked the post - I had a very interesting time reading about for it, with some big insiration from Metizzl. I agree that it's a very odd kind of party!

And I'm so, so pleased you like the WDW Channel! That really makes me happy, as it's been a bit of a labour of love over the past 10 months and I'll carry on adding to it. The Cannes videos are just so special and they make me smile and happy too. The GyllenGiggle is priceless :D

Anonymous said...

I love this post and I love, love, love those 2 articles about the VF party! (But that would be me - LOL)! :)

I have been loving the pics of Jake and Sean so much these past two days so even if the vid clip is only a few seconds of them it was great to me!

Thank you!!!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

You're very welcome. social histories fascinate me and none more then the behavior of film industry poobahs in their natural habitat!:)

Anonymous said...

The picture of Jake with the tall girl in the red dress? That's Susan Sarandon's daughter. She is an actress and worked in a movie with McCauley Culkins and Mandy Moore. McCauley played a guy in a wheelchair and MAndy was some Goody Two Shoes christian. Maybe Jenna Malone was in it too. One of those teen genre movies. I think it was about "good Christians," but I can't remember the name of it. Or her name for that matter.

Uli said...

Good morning!
Thank you for a great post, WDW! And thank you, Metizzl Hostein Schwizzl (huh? LOL!) for inspiring it!

The Washington Post article about this year's Vanity Fair party was hilarious!! Too many great lines to quote! :D :D And it described so perfectly why I would always feel unfomfortable at huge parties like this - even if they are "regular people's" parties...

And the VF article about the party in general was very interesting! And shows, that hosting a party would be just as horrifying for me as going to one! :D

LOL, the picture of Jake with Tim Robbins in the middle is so awkward! Jake is talking and everybody else is either looking at the camera or just in a totally different direction... Poor Jake! :D

Great to have a little video snippet of Sean Penn and Jake talking! Would love to know what they were talking about!

Still have a warm and fuzzy feeling because Jake looked so wonderful that evening!!! *sighs*

Have a good day everyone!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone!

Hey BBMISwear! You'd get enough material for a whole bunch of novels attending one of these parties :D I loved seeing that glimpse of Jake and Sean too. Good to see you!

Hey Metizzl :D me too - It really is fascinating seeing them like that. I wonder what they all talk about...

Hi Anon - thanks for that! I was wondering who she was. Jake does seem to be photographed with very tall people at these events... Blimey, that film sounds terrible :D

Morning Uli! Imagine organising this party, and making sure people turn up when they should etc. That is a funny picture - Jake certainly looks like he's talking to himself. I love the top pic, with the Hero label behind Jake. Glad to hear of the warm and fuzzy feelings! Jake can do that. He looks so, so gorgeous - it was interesting comparing the photos of him at these parties through the years. I don't think Jake's looked better and that's saying something!

My word is dionargu :D

Anonymous said...

Jake looks so young in the current batch of pictures! You've posted one of him with Reese in this batch, where he looks exactly like he did in his City Slicker days ! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I'm almost ashamed of how turned on a stray curl on his forehead makes me, in the picture with Sean Penn....almost.

Uli said...

Hehe, Anon 12:13! It's the first picture of this years VF party, isn't it? LOL, you are right!

Whose stray curl, Anon 13:59? They both have stray curls, but Sean Penn's is longer! :D :D
Scratch that, I just read your post again... Sean Penn's might be longer, but it's not on his forehead... Jake turns me on even without any stray curls, though...

My word: quisingi! Huh?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey 12:13! Maybe Jake's doing a Benjamin Button!

Hi 13:59 :D Jake's curls are cherishable.

Hey Uli! Glad to hear you're scrutinising the curls :D I regret to say I've never really examined Sean's hair...

Is it home time yet?

Uli said...

LOL, Sean Penn's stray curl is so long and so greasy, I couldn't NOT notice it! :D :D

And: No, it is not home time yet! Unfortunately...

Anonymous said...

What cool pictures! I had not seen a few of these. :D

I LOVE the video of Jake and Sean! Sean seemed very animated. :) I too wonder what they were talking about.

Jake looked so good...sigh.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Uli - eugghhhh long, greasy curls euugghhh :( I'll focus on Jake's hair instead :D

Hi Get Real! I love some of these pics, but my fave is the top one. I like the video too - great to see Jake chatting with the Oscar champ :D

Anonymous said...

Awww! Look at Lauren Bcall! He gives her hope! LOL!

Carol said...

I love that Vanity Fair party video. One could play a game of spot the celeb there are so many in the one place:) There are loads of great pics up on the VF website too.

I agree a bit with what Mickey Rourke said aswell. The VF party really is a business meeting of sorts. I imagine a lot of deals are brokered at these events. Maybe Jake and Sean were talking about working together in the future....

I love all the different pics of Jake at the party over the years. I love that one of himself and Peter.They both look so gorgeous in it.

Anonymous said...

Industry parites are about being seen, and networking. Jake re-connects with people, he's likeable, and yeas, people will think of him when they consider various casting options. Jake will also be gathering intelligence on things that are "in the pipeline."

For all we know, maybe he first heard about the PoP at a Vanity Fair party three years ago. He might hear something that's of interest to Maggie, Peter, his parents, friends, etc. He also gives good advice and has good ideas and insights.

As he, himself has said, he knows the language, he knows the business of filmmaking. As a voting member of AMPAS he's operating on a whole new level, and he's definitely in the thick of it. Recall how he and Clooney or Matt Damon were competing for rights to Farragut North? The one Matt and Leo are doing? Jake is no longer a novice about industry politics either.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

OMG Alcestin! That is Lauren Bacall, I didn't recognise her! Go Lauren :D

Hi Carol :D I love seeing so many big stars all together, watching them interact - David Attenborough should do a documentary on it... That would be so great to see Jake and Sean together.

Hey Herappid :D Very interesting - and I agree - Jake is totally fluent in Hollywood speak and he'll know the importance of events such as these. And you're right, Jake is extremely likeable - who'd not want to talk to him at a party? That's a fascinating angle for Farragut North - I think Jake probably learned a great deal from that. Hmmmm. Thanks for commenting :D