Monday 2 March 2009

Every war is different, every war is the same

The yellow sun, well it took the hand
Of a country boy to a city in a far off land
We made no mark, no shadow at all,
On the ancient holy streets, where I learned to crawl.

I'm 25 and trying to stay alive
In the corner of the world with no clear enemies to fight.
It's hot as hell, we're like butter on toast,
But there's no army in this world that can fight a ghost.

At 21 I was born a son, and on that day I knew I could kill,
To protect the ones, we put bullets in guns,
Or anything it takes, to take a life.
Until it's still.


A song that we will hear in Brothers, Winter, reminds me that Jake Gyllenhaal's brave movie choices over the years are to be celebrated. Although we've yet to see some projects come to fruition, or even, once made, to the screen, Jake has taken a mighty leap into the fantasy world into which Disney leads us, he may sing and dance on the screen to millions, he has made love to a cowboy, he's put himself in bootcamp, he's addressed extraordinary rendition - he's even been willing to suffer the Davids - O Russell and Fincher.



With Brothers, there is every reason to believe that we will have another film to make us even prouder. Its excellence is hinted at by the fact that its soundtrack includes such a song as Winter, a winter that's 'hot as hell'.



Winter isn't on the No Lines on the Horizon album, available from today in the UK. But, if you buy the limited edition, you will be able to download many extras, and these include the song and video to Winter. Soon we will see the brother with the tattoo...


'Rhymes they sprang in me, summer sang in me,
But summer sings in me no more.'

Includes pictures from IHJ.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

O dear. sounds like Jim Sheridan may hve "nailed" it.

I hope so.

thanks, dear, as always.

"tatiosc" oh dear, again

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Dear Pia *) I think Jim may have 'nailed' it. All we have to do now is wait...

sheba said...

Hey Pia, good to 'see' you around again... and... I've calmed down now (took several cool showers :DD)

So true WDW... "Every war is different, every war is the same" got me thinking about most of Jake's movie choices as being thoughtful and performances even better. I can't wait for the insane frivolity of Nailed but I'm also looking forward to Brothers and can never forget that he was on set when news of Heath broke. Therefore, his performance may be scruitinised in detail.

The combination of other actors I respect such as Tobey and Natalie performing with Jake is certainly is something to relish. But damn man... I hate this waiting.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba :D We're very lucky - we get a mix of films that can draw out every emotion. We're in for something special with Brothers - one of these days we may even see it! I think it'll be well worth the wait.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very cool. U2 is all over the talk shows this week, they are the house band on Letterman this week and will be on Good Morning America. Can't wait to hear this song in connection to Brothers.

Hope everyone is keeping warm. It is horrible out there today.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! U2 are everywhere here at the moment too, but I've really enjoyed listening to the album tonight. I do hope you're ok with this awful weather I hear you're getting *)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you like the Winter song :)

it feels like such a long time ago when Jake was filming "Brothers'. it's almost as long as I've waited for Zodiac :) I only hope the end product will be as brilliant as Zodiac.

my word is praer... like a "prayer"?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh yes, Winterbird, me like :D Although, to be fair, U2 have been my favourite band for a good 20 years now, so I'm easily and very happily biased. At the moment, my fave songs on the album proper are Magnificent, Breathe and White as Snow (inspired by Jarhead).

The wait for Zodiac was so long - I remember when the release date for Brothers was first announced as December 2009 and we all doubted it (then it changed to December 2008). The it changed again. How they like to torture us... Zodiac is a fine standard to aim for.

Anonymous said...

When you look at the pics you chose, WDW, it really does bring to mind all the great film choices Jake has made. The lyrics to Winter are wonderful. Very much looking forward to Brothers.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Anon, for such a lovely comment :) I'm really looking forward to Brothers too. It feels like it's getting closer.

Xenia said...

Morning WDW and everyone.:)

Those lyrics are truly beautiful but please WDW, clear things up for me because I'm a little confused at this point: wasn't it White as snow the song written by U2 to be featured in Brothers?

Jake gave us so many iconic characters albeit being so young and there's so much more to come, we can't be but flattered and a little anxiuos (I am!) for finally being able to see what's next.

A great day to everyone. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Hi Xenia :D There is definite confusion around but, as first reported in the media, I believe it was Winter that was written for Brothers. It isn't on the U2 album, as presumably saved for the soundtrack - White as Snow is another song about war, which was inspired by Jarhead. This song appears to have got confused with Winter (because of the wintry and war themes no doubt!) because Winter isn't on the album, although originally it was expected on there.

If you see what I mean...

I'm definitely ready to see what comes next :D We're well due.

Have a good day!