Sunday 1 March 2009

Brothers AND Nailed at Cannes? It's only a matter of time...

An article by Jeff Wells at Hollywood Elsewhere today suggests that Brothers might not be the only one of Jake's movies to open in Cannes - how about Nailed as well?! See the list here.

On with the post...

A book signing (and beer tasting) this week by a New York Yankees fan and chronicler was attended by Tab Hunter, one of the actors from the original 1958 movie musical Damn Yankees. This 'Yankee by Proxy' told 'the crowd that a remake is in the works starring Jake Gyllenhaal as the Yankee and Jim Carrey as the Devil'.


Jake's singing and dancing credentials have been well documented here, but, following the disappointment of the Moulin Rouge auditions and the triumph of SNL (not to mention the Ellen birthday wiggle), a musical was just a matter of time for Jake.


Back in January 2006, Jake was awarded the Desert Palm Achievement-Actor Award at the Palm Springs Festival by no less a figure than Peter Sarsgaard himself. Peter probably knows better than almost anyone the entertainer that lives inside Jake's heart, and he had this to say in his introduction for his friend:


'"First, I want to say some nice things about Jake... He's got great hair. An amazing head of hair. And the thing about "Jarhead" is that he shaved it all off! Also, Jake is a fantastic singer and I think it's only a matter of time before you get to hear him sing. And I will dance,” said Sarsgaard, doing some suave hustle steps. "So you gotta sing, Jake, if I dance. Let's get this party started!"'



After Jake's rendition of Night Fever, despite having admitted to some stage fright before: '“Wow! Okay, let’s get raucous!," said Gyllenhaal, when he finished. “Listen, I’ve already played a gay cowboy. If I do a musical number, people will really start to question me. So I’ll stay away from music for a while but don’t think that it's not beating deep, deep in my veins. Very deep.”'


There also seemed to be a shout out to Jake's future Parkour prowess - who'd have thought he meant these words literally... “films take me to places I never thought I would get to, and over walls that I never thought I could get over. When I think about that it's just — I dunno — I forgot.”


Bizarre indeed

And the winner of the Most Batty 'Story' of the year so far goes to.... (envelope rustling sounds) The Sun - for this. I know M&S is good, but is it '8,000 mile round trip' good?



Includes pictures from IHJ.

11 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Just updated the post with a glimmer of hope for Nailed :D Have a good evening everyone!

Anonymous said...

Ok Jake, I can understand travelling thousands of miles for some of those M&S desserts ( when I'm in the UK--it's straignt out of Heathrow to the Oxford Street shop for me! I let them know I'm coming beforehand so they can clear a path for me right to the desserts ;))

I highly doubt this story from The Sun is true, but if it is...it's HILARIOUS..Jake getting scared over some knickers! Awww....

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Amy! I just switched over posts as I added the Hollywood Elsewhere stuff at the beginning and so removed the old one, so I switched your comment over too :D

OMG! You've just reminded me!! I owe Zodiac M&S meringues!!! Zodiac, I've now remembered and I'll get you some...

Amy, I'm glad to hear you know what you want when you get here! I'm rather partial to M&S desserts myself. But as everybody in Britain (ahem) buys their undies in M&S I can't imagine Jake getting scared at all - and everyone knows you can buy undies at any till...

And this must've been some flying visit... all this way for knickers and a pint of best... :D OMG - the Sun excels itself! But it's so, so funny!! Just what you need on a Sunday evening :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Cannes news! It would be really great if both Brothers and Nailed will be in Cannes! I love Jake getting busy for his promotions :) There will be a lots of interest for for this Cannes, with also Terry Gilliam's movie there.

One thing for sure, Damn Yankees will be the first musical I will be seeing for, I forget how long! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok this might be a lame question, but I dont really know how the whole film festival works. If these movies are going to be at the Cannes Film Festival in MAY, does this mean the release date will most likely be after summer time?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird! That would be some Cannes with Imaginarium there too, but I'm not counting my chickens... I think Jeff might be being a little wishful himself - but it's good to know these films are on his radar.

I can see a Damn Yankees cinema trip on the horizon - we can go to the karaoke screening :D

Hi there Anon :D That's not a lame question at all I'm not soo sure myself as it seems to vary from film to film Zodiac, of course, was out in the US, long before Cannes but Cannes was treated as its European premiere. Other films like Nailed may go there for business - ie, to get distributed But the new dates for Brothers on proIMDb suggests that it'll be opening in Europe at least in the Autumn (October/Nov) I can't imagine it being much earlier than late Summer anywhere, including the US. I'm Not There was showing at festivals for months before most of us got to see it. But it is good to get the publicity for it. Kind of thinking out loud here!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Monday - sigh... I hope everyone's ok in the US NE. Have a good day :D

Xenia said...

Hi WDW and everyone. :)

Ok I should have learnt it by now that interesting stuff always happens while I'm away. ;)

Bedhead pissed off Jake and parkour-man Jake pics are totally yummy....

Is this Jeff Wells guy reliable WDW? Because both Brothers and Nailed at Cannes would be too good to be true! Fingers (and everything can get crossed) crossed!:D

Jake and musical was a story written in the stars, he was in a dance class too, remember the Late at Conan O'Brien interview back in 2007? A dancer in training!

Have a great day. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Xenia! What lovely pics for you to come back to :D Jeff wells is a pretty well informed and respected source. I don't think he's saying for certain here that both films will be at cannes but he knows the industry well enough to know it could well be possible. Oh yes, how could I forget! Jake has a great dancing pedigree :) Amaaaazing!

paulh said...

There was a clip of Jake doing the Riverdance, so we know he's got good moves. Plus, the scene in "Brokeback Mountain" (I almost wrote "Breakdance Mountain") where he dances with Randall's wife ("take my wife -- please!"), where he dances elegantly. So, I'm not surprised that Jake has dancing greatness in his future.

"Damn Yankees" is a great show! It needs an update, too. Jake can play softball, judging from the pictures, though some pics were marred by his stopping to smoke. :-(Baseball is not much of a stretch)
Some great songs from the musical are "A man doesn't know what he has until he loses it," "You've gotta have heart," "Those were the days" (sung by the Devil), "Two lost souls," and "Whatever Lola wants." I'm hoping they don't hire Madonna to play Lola. Who else could play that part? Michelle Williams? Cameron Diez? Catherine Zeta-Jones? (I'm ruling out that *other* siren from "Chicago," Rebee Zellweger, but who knows?).
In any event, a good time will be had by all. "It's the youth of America singing, Joe!"

I don't care what lingerie stores Jake shops in. When I go walking in shopping malls, it seems like 90% of the stores are women's apparel stores. The only *good* thing about the current Depression is that a few of these might mercifully fold. ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Paul! Oh yes, Jake is a good mover, all right! And I'm glad we could well get the chance to see more of that :D

Oh, that's so funny, about the softball pics! (not that I have any idea what the difference is between softball and baseball, of course...) The ciggie seemed like an integral part of that game.

I'm hoping for someone like Anne Hathaway for Lola but I also like the idea of it being an older temptress, in which case I would pay so much Monopoly mony to see Jen Aniston in that role. Please no to Renee - one of my least favourite actresses.

Fortunately, we don't have too many lingerie stores over here, because M&S sells undies to 99.9% of the female and male population... :D