Thursday 23 April 2009

The red and white of St George... and Jake in BH 22 April

One can be forgiven for missing St George's Day in England because, unlike the Welsh who deck themselves out in leeks and daffs for St David's, the English don't tend to bother very much. Fortunately, I was reminded by the two-storey English flag that completely covers a pub down the road, even hiding its windows and, peculiarly, its way in. 23 April is also Shakespeare's birthday and, rather gloomily, his deathday.


I'm not aware of any photos of Jake Gyllenhaal swathed in the English flag and I don't believe there are pictures of Jake decked out in jerkin, hose, slops and codpiece while strutting around a stage soliloquising. Therefore, one has to make do. To celebrate St George's Day, I have picked some photographs with Jake wearing the red of the St George cross. Although these must follow the new pictures of Jake in white, which were taken at (you'll be surprised when I tell you...) The Medical Center yesterday.



After the white, the red - not a colour that Jake wears much at all, but yet he does it so well. You may spot Mike White amongst these.










Oxford Interlude

St George's Day coincides with what can be a truly beautiful time. Fortunately, this year the weather behaved and so, as I walked around today, I thought I'd record it. This is an Interlude and so can be skipped!

However, ETA back on topic and still in Oxford, rapper MC Lars has been playing here and during an interview he was asked: 'A lyric in your new song ‘Hipster Girl’ states ‘Donnie Darko makes no sense’ yet my housemate tells everyone he understands it. Is he talking rubbish?... [MC Lars:] It’s a very complicated plot. If you’re willing to accept the fact that physics, logic and the linear progression of time can be changed however you want arbitrarily, then it makes sense. I just don’t like how Jake Gyllenhaal is so surly and dysfunctional.' (I'm guessing he means Donnie.) Personally, I think Donnie may have been slightly less effective if he'd been the sprightly, bedroom-tidying sort. But I can't be too hard on a fan of George and Danver...



Includes pictures from IHJ and WDW.

10 comments:

Zodiac said...

Hi WDW!

Happy St George Day!:)

What beautiful pictures of Oxford!

I have just got back from a trip to Italy, and I can see that Jake's doing well and BH Medical Centre has found a new devoted employeee.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Zodiac! So good to see you *) I'm glad you like the pics, it's just gorgeous here at the moment - I just updated the post because an American rapper visited Oxford and in his interview talked about DDarko.

I love St George's Day :)

I hope you had a lovely time in Italy. The Medical Centre's keeping Jake busy - he must be doing well there! Thanks so much for saying hello :)

get real said...

Ohh, beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!


Oxford looks so lovely and Jake does too. ;p We are having gorgeous weather here too. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm really pleased to hear the sun's shining your way too, Get Real :D I love this time of year and mix it with lovely pics of Jake and I'm happy. Mind you, he cheers me up when the weather's bad too, so... Good to see you!

I often think it would be nice to see photos other readers here take of their towns - I'd love to see them. If anyone feels like sharing, do send them *)

Zodiac said...

Great idea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Zodiac :)

X said...

Hey there WDW! Great St George's Day post - love the pic of Mike and Jake, very clever :D

Beautiful interlude photos.

My word is "slidaz" sounds kinda rapper-ish to me!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you here, X *)

I really fell for Mike on the Amazing Race and so I love to see pics of Jake and him together. They've been friends for quite a while now :)

pia said...

thanks for lovely pix of Oxford! A nice touch for St. George's day, yay for England Harry and St. George! ! !

Guess you're all in bed by now, though.

Happy day, anyway!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Pia!

Have a good day everyone :D