Thursday 28 May 2009

Empire: Jake 'has to be able to take his clothes off and look good!' - and a Cornish Interlude

The July issue of Empire magazine hit the shops today. I don't have access to a scanner at the moment and so, to illustrate the article, please find instead pictures from Port Isaac in Cornwall. Brits may recognise this beautiful village and harbour as the setting for Doc Martin. I recommend the fish and chips, set off by the brass band that walks through the steep streets followed by a crowd that can't quite believe what it's seeing.


'Anyone who's even spent five minutes toying with Prince of Persia's source material - Jordan Mechner's 2003 remake of his own 1989 Atari game - will have an inkling of the physical challenges that await Jake Gyllenhaal as its titular royal, Dastan. Before anyone outside of France has even heard the word 'parkour', the pixelled Prince was running along vertical surfaces, divinf across spiked pits, ducking under mechanical swinging blades... Ramparts, dungeons and elaborate, Indiana-Jonesian deathtraps were all his playground.



Although not if director Mike Newell is playing. 'I did actually once manage to get him three steps horizontally along a wall before he fell off', chuckles Newell... 'Big afternoon that was!''... Not only will it feature a wealth of acrobatic action as Dastan takes on shadowy assassin cult The Hanssansin in a fantasised sixth-century Persia, key to the plot is The Dagger of Time, a magical weapon/MacGuffin that allows its wielder to reverse time. In this advernture, Newell assures us much is at stake.'


''This isn't just kind of kiss kiss, bang bang,' he insists. 'Not at all. It's like a sort of superheated, superactioned Noah story. It's what happens when the gods get angry and get so fed up with human beings they want to rub them out and start all over again. But then - and I can't remember where exactly this comes from, even though I used to know the Bible off by heart because I heard it six days a week when I was younger! - there is this wonderful line which says: 'So long as there is just this one man, you can't kill us all'...'


'Of course, that 'one man' requires special qualities, qualities which Newell believe Gyllenhaal possesses in abundance. 'He has to be able to ride. He has to be able to fight. He has to be able to take his clothes off and look good!' Gyllenhaal, meanwhile, seems happy with taking on such a legendary destiny. 'I'm always fascinated with these kinds of stories of the hero's journey,' he says. 'You're playing a legitimate hero, you know? I think it's an honour to do that.''


I was rather taken by the name of this tea shop...


Includes pictures from WDW and Empire.

17 comments:

BBMISwear said...

Great pictures...what a beautiful area you are visiting! Thanks for the Empire recap...do we get the full scan when you get back? (I know - never enough, never enough). Can't help it!

Have fun!

Uli said...

''I did actually once manage to get him three steps horizontally along a wall before he fell off', chuckles Newell... 'Big afternoon that was!''.
This had me loling a bit this morning, because I first thought he was talking about Jake... :D :D

Cornwall is looking gooooood! Does the brass band walk around all day, though?

Have a great day everyone! At least I guess we can be sure that WDW will!

My word: thednett... Thinking of Jake thudnut would have been more appropriate somehow...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning BBmISwear! There's not much extra in the full version as you can tell - I think just the bit about how Jake has to ride a horse etc but I'll put the scan up when I'm home :D I will definitely have fun - and it could involve icecream :D

Hey Uli! I thought he meant Jake too! Poor Jake... Apparently the brass band walks around on Tuesdays, which is odd as it was Thursday.

Have a great day everyone - the sun is out over the sea. Off to Padstow this morning. Jake d'you fancy it?

Sheba said...

Johnny at the front, Jake and Robert inside. What more can a girl ask for. I showed it to a work colleague and she was gaga. She said she's finally going to watch Jarhead this weekend. She resisted because she's lost a cousin and close friends in Afghanistan. But seeing his body has inspired her to see his other work. See, one dvd or magazine article at a time. Resistance is futile......... :DD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone - I hope everyone's ready for the weekend. I had a wonderful day in the sun - I don't wanna bore you all with it so I'll see you tomorrow! Have a good evening :D

Anonymous said...

Oh and WDW, enjoy your duties in beautiful surroundings.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba and Anon! I'm having bad internet conections down here... I just phoned my mum and there was only one bit f the garden I could do it in, but while I was there I saw a cuckoo :)

sheba said...

Hiya I'm Anon too. I'm on the BlackBerry and struggling to get through too. Hope you don't go cuckoo and you're having a great time. Aw.... Holly was great.

anouska said...

"Apparently the brass band walks around on Tuesdays, which is odd as it was Thursday."

*snort*

Hey WDW, hope you are having a lovely time :) xx

pia said...

Hello WDW darlin' and otherpeeps of course

one of yr cornish pix reminds me of my beloved Scotland.

I am SO grateful for you keepin' up with Jake news in this time of impoverishment. You
ARE the Penelope of Jakedom and will be rewarded, sure enuff!

Swory? Who's s'woryed? Not me!

Up the Irish!

tD said...

Hi WDW, loving the Cornish pics. Once you get used to the endless bungalows and increased potential for gray rainy days .-) then Cornwall is the best, best place on earth. Never been to Tintagel tho - that treat still in store.

Thanks for persevering despite poor internet, too, I need the full Empire scan pls - I'm bound to miss the magazine, it always happens to me!

That quote Uli mentions above - I thought he meant Jake too! lol

Anonymous said...

That is the full Empire scan. One lousy page.

Cornish Hornish Game Hens said...

Uh oh, WDW locked herself inside the Jake Away Tea Shoppe and she's drinking lots of tea and doing lots of.. well, you know. At least the girl's keeping herself hydrated.

Jake said...

I love a good Cornish game hen! Lay her out on the board, rub her with juice and your own special spices, insert the skewer and keep turning up the heat and steam until done. Tasty!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! The net seems to be working a bit better today - so I've put some more pictures up. I'm heading back today. Thanks for humouring me in my off-topicness :D

Waves to Nouskie and Pia! Thanks Pia *)

Hi TD! Fortunately, the sun is shining and shining and it's gorgeous!

As Anon says (hi there) that page is it from Empire, unfortunately. But I'm sure we'll get more soon. The text in this post is about all there is.

Hey Cornish Game Hen!! I have researched the Jake Away Te- goes well with clottd cream and scones :D The beer's not bad either...

Chuckle at Jake! Get down here Jake and share an ice cream!

Have a great day everyone :D

Eputooke McGillicuddy...from India said...

WDW, You make me want to pack a bag and hop a plane! Cornwall is captivating...I'm alliterative. So shoot me! :)

Love the Empire Mag scan. Thanks!

(Did he say Jake fell off a wall? Bummer!)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Eputooke! If you can hop on that plane and get to Cornwall, I really recommend it - the blues are amazing (of course, I bet the greys can be pretty memorable too!). Yep he dropped Jake off a wall - damn...

Ooh, my word is draccon...