Monday 6 July 2009

Life and laughs in a bubble: the sun 'nearly burned a hole in my head'

After all this talk and excitement over the newly unveiled Tommy Cahill, I thought I'd go back and look at an earlier Jake Gyllenhaal incarnation, the one in the bubble. It might have been controversial, it might have offended almost everybody on the planet, including six-armed goddesses and the whore next door, it might have been disowned by Disney, but nothing makes me laugh outloud like Jimmy Livingston (and his mother).


'"It's a wonderful love story -- a freaky, awesome ride with crazy characters," said Gyllenhaal, who starred in 1999's "October Sky." What was it like in the bubble? "I got really hot and then really cold in there," he tells Seventeen magazine in its July issue. "The sun worked like a magnifying glass; it nearly burned a hole in my head." It was also difficult to hear inside the bubble. "I learned how to read lips pretty well -- and to yell," he said.'



Jake's childhood had prepared him for life in a bubble and the need to give it a good squeeze: 'The only problem is that growing up in Hollywood is not necessarily that close to any normal reality. It's a curse in the sense that you're trapped in a bubble that you have to become aware of in order to pop. Which is what I'm trying to do.'


Bubble Boy helped Jake pop that one bubble while arguably helping to inflate another. It enabled him to break free of college: 'But my sophomore year was a tough year for me, both intellectually and emotionally. I felt slightly schizophrenic because I was trying to live a regular college life, but I also wanted to be creative. I had no creative outlet at school, so I was thinking a lot about acting. It was difficult to juggle classes with the constant phone calls from agents offering me film roles. I was so confused, but eventually I knew I had to make a decision. And I believe I made the right choice.'


'I laughed out loud at the perversity of the script... It's funny but it's also touching and warm. It's a beautiful love story, and it's a story about a boy finding himself.' Both Jake and the director Blair Hayes defended the film's innocence against those who took offence, repeatedly repeating the metaphor of the bubble. Although not to everybody's taste, it had some killer lines in it, not to mention scenarios (I'm thinking bus stops here and the shop robbery). 'Have you ever been karmically bitch-slapped by a six-armed goddess?', 'and the prince climbed up Rapunzel's hair to the top of the tower and said, "Come with me, and we'll live happily ever after." Then Rapunzel left her plastic bubble and died. The end.', 'Supper time was the best! Nothing could beat Mom's homemade, vitamin-rich, soy-based, germ-free, fat-free fiber cookies.' These are some of the bubble cherries.


Jake drew inspiration for his portrayal of Jimmy from a series of films Blair made him watch: 'I used Peter Sellers in Being There, Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhands, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump and Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. Buster, with his face, in silent films, says so much. Charlie, through his movement. The running in the bubble at the beginning was all Chaplin stuff. The voice came out of watching and thinking what a child would do.'


This interview also contains one of my favourite anecdotes from Jake - about the stunts and his very own Backdraft spectacular: 'They made me do a lot. I'm just a naive little boy. We did this one stunt where I come in and the building is on fire. There's a huge wall of fire and the guys who did the effects did in Backdraft. I'd say, "What is that?" and they'd say "It's gasoline. It's fine." They'd spray it on my feet. "It's fine. Trust us." Everyone is getting their fire suits on and, hey, I'm in a plastic bubble. They asked me to go in and shake the door handles. I go in with "I'm gonna be a stunt man. I'm gonna do this. I've got it." I get to that wall and I'm like "Oooh this is hot!" I put my hands out and grab the handles and I look at the bubble and it starts expanding. And then it goes whoosh.. and then flat all around me and I see the steadycam guy going "Run!." They are spraying me and they cut me out of it like an embryonic sack. I don't touch plastic anymore.'


Maggie also stuck up for Bubble Boy: 'The siblings are close, and Maggie even defends "Bubble Boy,'' the film often labeled Jake's worst. "I thought Jake was great in it," Maggie said, "and I actually thought 'Bubble Boy' was a subversive, smart film, not just another stupid comedy."'


More worrying, however, was the conversion of Bubble Boy into Bubble Boy The Musical. Written by the writers of the movie, the musical was laced with 'sweet songs' and seating was limited.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

12 comments:

Gretchen said...

omg i looooove Bubble Boy!i think it's hilarious in a very non-offending way.Jimmy's mum kills me.oh and Bright and Shiiiiiny!

obligatory Bubble Boy video:500 DOLLAH!!!!!!!!!

and i love how Jake is not one bit ashamed of being in it.but the contrary.oh Jake why so awesome?(and i haven't listened to Bubble Boy commentary too along with Zodiac :( but i just got the dvd a few weeks ago)
Jake and John Carroll Lynch who plays Jimmy's father have been together in 3 films.interesting.

i hadn't read that fire stunt interview.lol, so funny.thanks WDW.

winterbird said...

Bubble Boy was a nice surprise! I was kind of preparing to be just "sit through it because of Jake", but it turns out to be much funnier than I thought!

And the extras on the DVD is SOOOO worth it!

I remember reading something about how the industry expects Bubble Boy to make Jake a well-known name, but it turned out it was Donnie Darko!

That's a hilarious interview... thanks for the Bubble Boy reminder :)

Anonymous said...

Gretchen, you have to listen to the BB commentary, it's great, you're gonna love it. :)

I was expecting the exact same thing as Winterbird when I watched BB. I had seen TV adds about it and always thought it looked stupid. But after discovering Jake in BBM, I just had to check it out. And I had a lot of fun watching it, Jake is great, it really shows his comedic abilities. I hope we get to see them again.

That was a great collection of interviews about BB, the TeenHollywood one is new to me. I love BB like I love A Knight's Tale. They are both fun silly movies. Heath had much better hair in AKT than Jake in BB though! :DD

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everybody!

Hi Gretchen! Ooh, thanks for that link - Bubble Boy is full of so many scenes I cherish. I love Bubble Boy, I'm so glad Jake's in it. You MUST listen to the commentary - it's my very favourite Jake commentary - it's hysterical! The fire story is also one of my all time fave anecdotes - I love how Jake says he doesn't go near plastic now :D

Bubble Boy never fails - always makes me smile :D

Hi Winterbird! I'm not sure what I was expecting with BB but it was a big shock to me how much I adored it. I must see it again now. The DVD is great!

Me too, Olympia :D It was a wonderful surprise. Jake has great comedic skill - just look at that scene stealing the beer. And the way he says those lines... That is a great interview. OMG Jake's BB hair - atrocious!

I've had such a laugh doing this post this evening :D Roll on Nailed!

chamilet said...

I watched BB through my fingers because it was so stupid. But I laughed and laughed throughout and the end was so touching. By the time I was done, I didn't delete it off of my DVR and I'm waiting to find a good deal on the DVD. I LOVED BB!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Ringoslover and welcome! Do get the DVD, it's so worth it for the commentary and extras :D It's such a clever film, witty and affectionate at the same time and the characters are incredible and absurd. The great actors don't hurt either :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Have a good day :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

PS - a twitter met Jake and Reese last night in LA and took a photo of Reese but not of not Jake unfortunately :((

winterbird said...

took a photo of Reese but not of not Jake

what a strange person!!!!

I'd ask Reese to take a pic of "me&Jake" instead! :P

morning all!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Winterbird! Bonkers... that's the only word for it :D

Carol said...

Thanks for the collection of interviews in this post WDW. Especially the TeenHollywood one. I liked the one with Maggie aswell on Secretary. Interesting that herself and James Spader kept their distance on the set.

That person on Twitter must have been having a moment of madness..... Reese pics and none of Jake:(

OOT for all you who are fans of Rufus Wainwright, there is a documentary on Rufus on BBC1 tonight at 10.35, in advance of the premiere of his opera Primadonna at the Manchester Opera festival this Friday 10th July. He's also appearing on Jonathon Ross this Friday. If anyone here has tickets for the performances in Manchester please don't tell me as I will be sooo jealous:)

Hope everyone is having a good day and the sun is shining.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! I'm glad you enjoyed the interviews - the Maggie one was very interesting. Ooh, thanks for the heads up about Rufus - I'll make sure I record that. I'd love to see him live again :D The rain is falling... Hard!