Sunday 5 July 2009

Get me Jake Gyllenhaal

I haven't had enough of the Brothers trailer, or talking about it, so you'll find it again at the bottom of this post. Short though the trailer is, its intensity suggests that Jake Gyllenhaal and his co-stars have every emotion wrung from them through the course of this story. Tommy Cahill is no passive observer.


It seems hard to believe now, after seeing this trailer, that James Cameron almost selected Jake for the lead in Avatar but Cameron had this to say of Jake and his competitors '"I didn't think they were tough enough for what I wanted them to do. [I kept thinking] 'Where are the men? Show me the men.'' That man turned out to be Sam Worthington.


Other directors, of course, have been just as keen to work with Jake as he may have been to work with them. Robert Altman, for instance, was one of these and Jake was at one point or another associated with two of Altman's projects. '...the young Hollywood star he most wants to rope into his new feature, "Hands on a Hard Body," filming in September, is Jake Gyllenhaal. The name of the movie may sound tantalizing, but cool your jets, "Brokeback" fans. The flick is about folks keeping their hands on a car to try to win it in a shopping mall contest. Altman told us he has been in talks with Jake but hasn't gotten a final answer from him yet.' That project sounded... curious.


The Widow Claire was another on. 'Written by Horton Foote, [it] is set against the backdrop of World War II. [Winona] Ryder stars as a young widow with two children who is caught between the affections of two men -- a sweet young soldier about to go to war and the town's most sought-after playboy. Jake Gyllenhaal and Matthew McConaughey have met with Altman about possibly starring opposite Ryder in "Claire." Robert Levy is producing the project.' Now which would have played the 'sweet young soldier'?


Nigel Coles, the director of Calender Girls, had wanted Jake and Alison Lohman to star in his A Lot Like Love. Alison had been in another of the casts of This is Our Youth in London and she also featured with Jake in Teen Vogue in December of 2003. The director of This Is Our Youth, Laurence Boswell, had hoped to launch his new theatre company with Jake as Romeo. Boswell listed Jake as one of his favourite actors and he enthused about working with Hollywood actors:


'Treat them like anybody else. You have to be aware with some people that they may be putting themselves under a lot of pressure because they have a huge reputation, and being exposed on a stage can be a quite anxious thing. You have to relax them. If they don't have a lot of stage experience, you've also got to find a way of teaching within the process of directing. The real trick is just to get on with the job because that's what gives people confidence. Americans are no strangers to work. Their approach is: get in, let's do it, let's work. That's great.'


How I would have liked to have seen Jake as Romeo. Here is some more information and initial doubt that it would happen after all: 'To that end, Variety has recently reported that, for the project, Shakespeare's tale of star-crossed lovers would be reset in modern Manhattan and given a rock-n-roll backing track. The US industry newspaper also tipped Hollywood's Lynn Collins to play Juliet to Gyllenhaal's Romeo in a co-production between Boswell and the Chicago Shakespeare Theater, with seasons in Chicago and possibly New York after London. However, today's edition of the Daily Mail suggests the project may not be quite so straightforward, or immediate. Gyllenhaal, who's currently filming the screen version of Proof in London (See The Goss, 20 Oct 2003), told columnist Baz Bamigboye that, although he wants to work with Boswell again and they have indeed been talking about R & J, "we may do another play in London before we get to the Shakespeare".'

I need to see this again...



Includes pictures from IHJ.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think Cameron was still thinking Jake was Homer (as great as he was). You think maybe he hadn't seen Jarhead or Rendition.
If he sees Brothers he might wonder what He was thinking and then we will have POP - he's not a "young kid" in that.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Anon :D I agree, when Cameron sees Brothers I think he'll see what he's missed. Jake is no kid :)

Well done to Federer - what a match!

get real said...

I just got to see the trailer with sound....so freaking intense....love it!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm so glad to hear that, Get Real! It's so intense. I hope you had a good 4 July :)

Silver said...

I can't get enough of that trailer either :P i wonder which trailer has been the best out of Jakes films

..also having been a lifelong A-Rod fan i am officially gutted :(
This was his day..

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Silver :D I'm sorry about Andy - I wanted him to have his moment and he was so close. I reckon this trailer stands out.

Gretchen said...

who's David Cameron?(or do you mean James Cameron?)

well i'd have liked if Jake worked with James Cameron.oh well maybe some other time.i've seen Sam Worthington only in Terminator Salvation.and well i'm not very impressed.but i hated TS so..i hated his character too.maybe i should see another film of his before i make my decision about his acting skills.

oh that Hand On A Hard Body sounds interesting.(what a title!!) that'd have been kinda cool.but i puked in my mouth a little while reading about Widow Claire.ugh no thanks.and who the hell would choose Matthew McCaughdkjld over Jake?seriously.

unless he does a European tour he must not do a play!!!i was dying when there were the Farragut North speculations.lol.

i saw the trailer of the original Brothers and it's exactly the same.i was kind of bummed.they just copied the original trailer too.lame.i don't get the marketing of this film anyway.where's the poster?
anyway could be worse.

i love the second cap WDW.hope you had a nice weekend.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh thanks, Gretchen! My inner David Fincher fangirl got loose - must be going crazy (I blame the heat). I've changed it to James :D

I haven't seen Terminator Salvation - I just can't bring myself to see it. Hand on a Hard Body would've been great! I'd pay good money to see Jake in a film with that title :D Interesting about the trailer being a repeat - hmmm. I'll have a look for that. And yes, no artwork. I suppose it'll come.

I had a lovely weekend, thanks - I hope you did too :D

Monica said...

Good night , wet dark!

Wynona and Mathew? No, thanks! Jake is a great actor and these two ... well, I don't know what these two are!

Lohman is one of my favorite young actresses. She was fantastic in Big Fish.

The arrogant Federer won again?

You're in love for this trailer!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! I am not a fan of Winona at all, but I have a weakness for Matt :D But this could have been bad... I think Lindsay Lohan showed a huge amount of promise. I do! I love the trailer :DD

get real said...

WDW, it Federer's win was amazing. What an incredible thing to watch! We were riveted to it. Although in my house we did hope that Andy would win as an American/4th of July sort of thing. But big congrats to Roger.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I did want Roddick to win, Get Real, but after such a match it's hard to begrudge Federer such a historic win - and he is such a gentleman. An amazing match. I thought they'd be going all night!

Monica said...

I enjoyed watching the games of Agassi and Pete Sampras. Currently, I like Rafael Nadal.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Nadal was much missed this year, Monica. Next year I'm holding out for a Nadal-Murray match :D

Monica said...

Nadal is a great player and very hot. Sorry, Jake!

I love the second picture of this post. The posture of Tommy/Jake is very intense.

Gretchen said...

don't bother with Terminator Salvation if you're a fan of the first two films.

lol ikr?Hands On A Hard Body.just think of all the promoting interviews and talk shows...gah now i'm sad.oh man :( plus it was an interesting project too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Monday, ugh...

Hi Monica, Nadal is hot :P Jake is hotter :PP!

Morning Gretchen :D I doubt I'll bother with it until the DVD comes out, but I have Christian Bale issues :D With a title like that, I would pay good money to see Jake in it...

Have a good day everyone!

get real said...

Apparently Jake and Reese and Paul Rudd were at the White House, in the Oval Office, with President Obama!!!

There is only one photo of Obama with Reese. Dammit we need one of Jake and Obama!!

The photo caption:

President Barack Obama with actress Reese Witherspoon in the Oval Office on June 25, 2009. The president was also joined by actors Paul Rudd and Jake Gyllenhaal; they are filming a movie in Washington, D.C. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

(Thanks to Gyllenbabble for the heads up!)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real :D That photographer needs to get his priorities straight! Love to see Jake with Obama.

I hope everyone's having a good day - looks like some weather's on the way...

paulh said...

"Hand on a hard body" is probably not going to happen now that Robert Altman is dead.

I thought Sam Worthington stole a lot of scenes in "Terminator salvation." Maybe it wasn't that hard to do with Christian Bale around, but Bale isn't really to blame for anything beyond playing his part well (except that he letg himself get so stresssed out that he screamed at people on set...)

The funny thing is, all the big machine-heavy action movies are getting mumbled in my head--Terminator, Transformers, even Star Trek. Audiences are lapping them up, too. Frankly, I'm going to welcome "Brothers" because it focuses on the humans for a change.

Speaking of the humans, can you imagine how different "Donnie Darko" would be if Kelly had used a lot of computer-generated images in it?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! I agree about these movies - I'm always getting transformers and Terminator muddled up, while not desiring to see either. Star Trek was the exception for me as it was about personalities. Brothers will be a breath of fresh air. Ugh, what a thought about DDarko - I think it would have lost the charm and 80s feel.