Tuesday 21 July 2009

The Prince of Persia Scrolls

It's been quite a week so far - posters, magazine features, promises of lego, t-shirts, graphic novels and all with ten months still to go. The Prince of Persia rollercoaster ride is well under way - and I wouldn't be surprised if it culminates in a very real ride in Disney World in the not too distant future.


The Prince of Persia posters have created quite a buzz around the net and, despite the difficulty of pleasing gamers, Gyllenhaalics and those who want proof that PoP will not be Pirates of the Caribbean on sand, the consensus is pretty good. Except for the font... some people don't like the posters' font. I've not yet reached the stage where I even notice the font. I found this perspective interesting.


And today there's more! Never mind one graphic novel, you can expect to fill your shelves with books. We've not had all this before. First, the graphic novel by Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner: 'The 128-page graphic novel, a full-color action-adventure anthology featuring six original stories, is a prequel to "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," the feature film to be released by Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films on May 28, 2010. The Prince of Persia graphic novel anthology will publish in April 2010 simultaneously in hardcover and paperback with a 125,000 first print run.'

But Disney announced today more treats await us: "We have developed a fantastic publishing program for the Prince of Persia film release and this graphic novel is an incredible cornerstone." So, what's on the way?


1. The Making of Prince of Persia (13 April, 176 pages) 'When Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Productions unite to create a movie, the result is bound to be epic, magical, and full of adventure. In Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Oscar-nominated actor Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain, Rendition, Zodiac, Jarhead, Donnie Darko) stars as a young prince who must prove his innocence with the reluctant help of a conquered princess. As he searches for a dangerous artifact that has the potential to prevent the unleashing of an Earth-shattering sandstorm, he'll face deceit, betrayal, and treacherous, black-cloaked Hassasins. This beautifully designed narrative will describe in detail every aspect of the movie-making process, from casting to costumes to computer graphics.'


'Author Michael Singer takes readers on an extraordinary journey, recounting the links in the Prince of Persia chain-from the wildly popular video game to a film project spearheaded by one of the world's most successful producers, Jerry Bruckheimer. A veritable oasis of exclusive photos and insider information, the book includes information on the production, makeup, location filming, stunts, and special effects, as well as profiles on the films' incredible stars!' (note to Santa - I need have no other gift for the next 15 years...)


2. Prince of Persia: Young Dastan (published 13 April, 256 pages). 'Dastan, the reluctant hero of the upcoming film Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, was not always a prince. He was once a mischievous petty thief, who knew the streets and rooftops of Persia better than any other street urchin. This is the story of young Dastan, before he was adopted by the king and became Prince of Persia!'


3. Prince of Persia: Movie Storybook (13 April, 48 pages). 'A young prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) is framed for the murder of his beloved father, the king of Persia. Now he must prove his innocence with the reluctant help of a conquered princess (Gemma Arterton) and a magic dagger that can reverse time. A 48-page retelling featuring dozens of action-packed pictures from the soon-to-be-hit, Prince of Persia.' Admittedly, this book is aimed at 4-8 year olds but who's counting?


4.The Art of Prince of Persia (13 April, 176p). 'The Art of Prince of Persia presents a definitive, exclusive look into the preparation and production of the epic movie. Overflowing with hundreds of full-color images, the book showcases concept drawings, set designs, and costume sketches, as well as the intricate props, set pieces, and even special effects that contribute so much to the Persia mythology. For Persia fans everywhere, this oasis of art and design is a visual feast that promises hours of endless browsing pleasure.' Never mind Persia fans...


5. Prince of Persia: You are the Princess (13 April). 'In the film, The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, a young prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) must prove his innocence with the reluctant help of a conquered princess (Gemma Arterton) and a magic dagger that can reverse time. In this book, the reader is the main character. The books are written in second person and allow the reader to choose the protagonist's path-- for good, or ill!'


6. Prince of Persia: Junior Novel (13 April, 144 pages). 'When a young prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) is framed for the death of his beloved father and the king of Persia, he must prove his innocence with the reluctant help of a conquered princess (Gemma Arterton) and a magic dagger that can reverse time. The junior novel is a retelling of the film and will include an eight-page full-color photo insert with pictures from the film.'

7. Prince of Persia Ultimate Sticker Book (Ultimate Sticker Books) (15 March). I'll take a dozen of these.


8. Prince of Persia: Beaneath the Sands of Time (13 April). 'Dr. Morgan is about to journey into the hidden world of Persia. On an archeological dig, he uncovers a hidden side of Persia that leaves him breathless. Lucky for us, he has written it all down. Now with this handy guide, including maps, interactive elements, and all the essential information fans can take their own trip to the mythical land of Persia. Find out how the sands of time originated; learn how our hero went from a poor street urchin to Prince Dastan; find out the mythical and wonderous world known as Persia . . . and more! Full of astonishing and amazing information, The Hidden World of Prince Dastan offers fans an intimate glimpse into this magical and adventurous world!'


9. Prince of Persia: You are the Prince (13 April). 'In the film, The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, a young prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) must prove his innocence with the reluctant help of a conquered princess (Gemma Arterton) and a magic dagger that can reverse time. In this book, the reader is the main character. The books are written in second person and allow the reader to choose the protagonist's path-- for good, or ill!' (I'll go for good - with a little bit of naughty).


10. Prince of Persia: The Adult Guide to the Prince. 'Go beneath the armour to bathe the wounds of the heroic prince in a scented pool, whilst being gently fanned by eastern silks, buffeted by a soft desert sunset breeze.' This book will be available (when I've written it...)


And surely there'll be a Pop-Up PoP? No?

Includes pictures from IHJ, Empire and ComingSoon. Plus a camel.

18 comments:

"Anonymous"...heh, heh. said...

Thank you, WDW! For the extraordinary journey you've taken us of The Prince's torso. There are no words...

(I can confirm that there will definitely be a Prince of Persia "experience" at Disneyworld. I was at a recent family reunion and an extended family member is working on the team developing said "experience"...it is sheathed in secrecy.)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Heh heh 'Anon' :D It's always a pleasure to take a tour of The Chest. I hope it's insured for a humungous amount of dosh.

Thanks for the confirmation :D Looking forward to waiting in line (frozen margarita in hand) waiting for the PoP ride while being entertained by JG lookalikes with chests. nIT will most definitely be an 'experience'.

But not a rollercoaster - Please, Disney, don't build a PoP Rollercoaster, I can't do rollercoasters...

Anonymous said...

LOL, WDW, you just about killed me with that tenth book!!! :DDD Is it possible to pre-order it? I hope you deliver to Canada, I don't care about the price! :D And I must say that was a very effective use of the bare-chested Prince close-ups...OMG...I had to stop reading a couple of times to catch my breath...

This is nuts, are they really going to release all those books? And is it something they did for Pirates of the Carribean?

I so want the sticker book, I could put little Dastans in all kinds of places. And it's not just a sticker book you know, it's "The Ultimate". :D

Nice camel! :)

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Olympia! They really are gonna release all those (preorder now :D) and you have to buy them all!

I think 'Prince Dastan: beneath the armour' may make an appearance... stay tuned :D

Dastan stickers... I want Dastan stickers. I can cover my fridge in them. I want car bumper stickers too. And badges. I want badges/buttons too.

I'm really glad you like my camel :)

Anonymous said...

Gotta say, love the post, WDW - but one reason I'm liking the poster because it's a little less on the beefcake, more on the serious warrior side. :) He looks absolutely amazing in it. I like the font too - because there's so much going on in the poster, any ornate font might compete and might not be easy to read. I like the strength of a simple, block font too, it's almost sheer, nothing to detract from Dastan - (as if anything could.) I'm liking the sound of some of the books. As usual, JMHO. ;)

My word is Thedepha; sounds like a character in the movie. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Anon, thanks for that! A very interesting comment. I've worked in publishing for years and I'm never one to turn my back on a fonts discussion! So, for what it's worth...

I think this font is perfectly suitable for the posters. It's all about bringing the past smack bang into the present. Use a font that's clean and timeless in my opinion, not one that can only be a pretension of medieval Persia. This is the movies, it's based on a game - bring it into the 21st century.

I do agree with you that an ornate affected font would be hard to read and it would give a completely different message about where this film lies.

I'm liking the sound of some of these books too - without doubt, I'll but them all :)

Anonymous said...

ITA. :)

BBMISwear said...

OMG I am LMAO at this post!! I laughed so hard at the camel I showed my son who was wondering what all the fuss was about and he laughed too. Then he asked if you have an English accent! I love the guy ranting and raving about the font on the poster and you not even noticing the font (who would)?!

Oh the Prince pictures are killing me...the close ups have me panting for air...and what is with all the books?! I'm not complaining...and know I will probably buy each and every one but why so many?! I guess April 13, 2010 is the big day, huh?! I personally can't wait for McDonald's Happy Meal toys and Cheerios cereal figurines! LOL!

Fun stuff in Jake land. And I want book #10 too!!

Have a great night and thanks for sharing the excitement with all of us!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Anon :)

Hi BBMISwear! You laughed at my camel? His feelings will be so hurt. I'll have to console it with a carrot.

Please tell your son that I do have a very English accent (the southern Oxford sort) but at times it can sound almost Persian.

April 13 is a day for the diary because it means the publication of more books I'm going to have to buy on this day than on any other day in literary history. So many books. Yep, we'll have to get them all along with the cereal figures, the cards and the sweets. It's like being a kid again!

Thanks for the order for #10. I'll add it to my list.

:-)

paulh said...

I love the idea of the tenth book, WDW. You should start writing it immediately, as it's likely to be a best-seller, meaning you'll have enough money to buy as much other PoP Paraphernalia as you please (which I'm guessing will be a lot!)

I might point out that I read the graphic novel when it first came out last year, so I am feleing mighty virtuous now! ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Paul, I remember you reading the first graphic novel :D It seems so long ago now. I don't have that one but I have a whole shelf (dare I say) of Tomb Raider graphic nvels and I love them. I'm so ready to collect the PoP bunch :D I'm very tempted to write Book #10, expect serialisations on WDW!

YouGypsySavage said...

Would a graphic novel include graphic pictures of Jake's body?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

One can but hope and pray, you Gypsy Savage you :DD

Morning everyone!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your posts, WDW! I always enjoy them so much! They make my days...
Livia, a Jake fan from Hungary

TD said...

I'll take a copy of no. 10 please - when will it be out???

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Livia, thank you so much! You have most definitely made my day :)

Hi TD! WDW Productions aims to publish No 10 in time for the release of the film. Expect a project announcement!

It's almost spooky the way this goes with the picture of my camel but apparently there is a scorpion loose...

paulh said...

"It's almost spooky the way this goes with the picture of my camel but apparently there is a scorpion loose..."

My brother is a Scorpio, so maybe he can help. By October, anyway. ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Paul! It's a big building and we're gonna need all the help we can to track down the little critter :D