Wednesday 22 July 2009

The PoP Graphic Novel's cover and Jake gets another brother

Having survived a day with a loose (not to mention cross and probably miserable) scorpion that the Royal Mail kindly delivered to us today in a mailbag, I can only sympathise with the cast and crew of The Prince of Persia who had to endure something similar at Pinewood this summer - although I think they should keep their scorpions to themselves. Everything seems PoPish at the moment. And it continues.


Having discussed yesterday the bunch of books that Disney intend to publish next April to mark the release of the film, today we got the first glimpse of the cover art for Jordan Mechner's graphic novel which will be discussed at Comic-Con this Friday. It is the work of spider-man artist Todd McFarlane. Thanks to Spawn for the picture. Looks spikey.


Todd spoke to USA Today a little about the brief 'saying he imagined Prince as light-hearted entertainment "but a little more serious" than the Pirates of the Caribbean films. "It's a big brand with a big producer," he says, "and by the way throw the word 'Disney' on top."'


There has been some disappointment that Disney isn't giving the movie itself (and Jake Gyllenhaal) a big push at Comic-Con this year. Variety has come up with an explanation for its very noticeable absence: 'Things have changed so much that some stars and filmmakers actually have to be discouraged from attending the convention when they have nothing to show or the timing interferes with the strategic rollout of the film's publicity campaign. After announcing Zachary Quinto as the new Spock in 2007, J.J. Abrams wanted to tout "Star Trek" the following year, but the studio convinced him the release was too far out. Likewise, Disney sources claim they were contemplating a big debut for Jerry Bruckheimer's "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" with first-time attendee Jake Gyllenhaal, but decided to follow "Trek's" example since the swashbuckling adventure doesn't open until May 2010.'


Should have known it was all Spock's fault...


Meanwhile, in other movie news, Jake has gained another brother - as if Tobey Maguire wasn't enough. The new brother is the comedian Josh Gad. Josh will play a 'vulgar but successful dot-com entrepreneur who moves in with Gyllenhaal.' I'm intrigued by what type of film this will be - a screwball comedy, a sharp satire or something blacker - or a mix? Empire is also wondering. The great news about the casting is that it means this project continues apace and there is no reason to doubt a September start.


Includes pictures from IHJ and links.

9 comments:

BBMISwear said...

Not loving the cover art for the book...but absolutely loving the pictures you posted today!!!

Lookin' Good :-)

Anonymous said...

Are you saying that you have a scorpion loose at work ?!?!?! OMG, I hope they catch it before anyone gets hurt! How are you suppose to have any work done?!

I thought the Prince in the graphic novel would look more like Jake, I hope that's not the face that will be on the stickers...

I love the pics of Jake walking with the rope (?) necklace. Is just so beautiful.

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there BBMISwear! I think it's a very odd image for a cover, especially when compared with the stunning artwork used for the games. But interesting to see. I wonder what the rest of it will be like as each section is by a different artist.

This post contained tw of my all time favourite pics - Lookin' Good :-)

Hi Olympia! Yep, we have a scorpion on the loose :D It's causing consternation. I've been arguing that we should all be sent home for the summer :)

Jake looks much more like some of the original game artwork.

Those pics are simply stunning, with Jake, the light, everything. I have one of them framed so I can see it everyday.

Anonymous said...

I like the cover, it'll be interesting to compare it with the other artists' concepts.

I may have to make the new poster of Dastan my screensaver - I am spellbound by it. The pictures we've seen so far have been good, but this is just a knockout. He's hella sexy, way more so than any of the shirtless pics we've seen. I don't know why that is - I just love the hair, and the goatee, and the costume, he looks amazing. It says so much more than anything has so far, at least to me. It's very powerful. It must have something to do with his profile, I always love pics of him from that angle. Wow! It's fun getting all the PoP previews.

Monica said...

Good night, wet dark!

Thanks for all the information from yesterday and today.
My interest in film is to see Jake, I don't have much interest in reading the graphic novel.

I have great interest in Love and The Other Drugs!!!

paulh said...

I'd like to see a graphic novel based on Jake. Is that too much to ask? ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone!

Hi there Anon :D That poster is my screensaver - I absolutely love it. And you're right about Jake at that angle. And he is much sexier here for me too than in the shirtless pics - maybe it's the action and the power. It is so much fun following all the PoP news! And we have 10 months of it... we're going to be worn out :)

Morning Monica! I am very hopeful about Love and Other Drugs - it looks like it's all coming together and maybe it'll even be out in good time!

Hi Paul :D ooh, I would pay good money for a graphic Jake novel... ;)

Have a good day everyone - and the sun's actually come out. Back to scorpion alert...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Twitters are tweeting that Jake was at the Dodger's Stadium last night :D

Pics, Give me pics!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Saw this on Twitter: 'JAKE GYLLENHAAL AT THE DODGER GAME AND HE JUST THREW UP THE L.A. SIGN. HE'S ADORABLE!' - can someone explain what the LA sign is to me?