Monday 3 August 2009

The light and the dark - Big Bird and Zombies

Big Bird is forty and he's having a big birthday party - Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal will be among those playing pass the parcel with the Cookie Monster and eating trifle. The fortieth season, this coming winter, is set to include some treats that will do good to those of us who grew up with Sesame Street: 'Celebrities such as Cameron Diaz, Kobe Bryant, Jason Mraz, Jimmy Fallon and siblings Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal' will pop up. I'm also hoping for a repeat of Desperate Houseplants.


Probably, Jake and Maggie also had an attachment to Sesame Street as children - their mother Naomi was there right at the beginning as a producer: 'I was a producer at Sesame Street. And then The Electric Company. And then I spent a year in the UK researching an American version of Upstairs Downstairs.' Note how I'm not drawing attention to the fact that Naomi was involved in a dastardly plot to redo the finest British drama series of the Seventies and beyond.


The Electric Company, which is also getting a revamp, featured a recurring sketch 'Love of Chair'. This included the not entirely comprehensible tagline of 'What about Naomi?'. Who'd have thought that this Naomi would turn out to be the mother of the Prince of Persia?


And now for the dark side...

There's been some interest in vampires of late, so much so that some writers of horror have rather taken against the pale-skinned vein suckers and are trying to get equal airtime for other uglies - the flesh eating undead or Zombies. Zombies were on the menu at Comic-Com and Scott Browne, the author of 'Breathers: A Zombie Lament' was at hand to discuss his dark comedy, which has been optioned.


Scott has pretty firm ideas about who he'd choose to play his 'hero' Andy and his unfortunate love interest: 'I see Jake Gyllenhaal as Andy and Anne Hathaway as Rita, his love interest. And, well, Christopher Walken would have to be in the movie somewhere.' As much as I'm enjoying the idea of Jake and Anne acting together in Love and Other Drugs and possibly in Damn Yankees, Zombies may be taking it a putrifying limp too far. More plot here.


But Jake hasn't quite escaped the vampire craze. One novel, reviewed here, has consigned a whole bunch of famous figures to endless night, including Jake Gyllenhaal. Makes a change from Robert Pattinson, I suppose.

Talking of spooky, someone is going around the Kent town of Maidstone sticking up posters of a rather manic and crazed looking rabbit as a 'social experiment'. The poster sticker's name is Jonny Darko.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

10 comments:

BBMISwear said...

Fun stuff today WDW!! I am psyched for Sesame Street and will focus on some of the movies we "know" are happening for Jake in the coming months/year (and will skip some of the more wacky story lines I think...LOL)!

I remembered Electric Company for Naomi but forgot about Sesame Street. I watched SS as a kid and then again in the late 90's with my son. Didn't think I'd be watching it yet again but never say never when you're a Jake Gyllenhaal fan!

Did you go see the Dinos???

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there BBMISwear! I do like having a laugh with some of these dreams that authors have for their books - understandably a lot of them want Jake in them :D I have to say that I cannot see Jake as the Undead, apart from the fact that I have a phobia against horror movies (if Orphan reaches round here I may make a very timid exception).

Loving the idea of Jake going back to Naomi's Sesame Street past. I didn't see it too much over here as a kid (and the Electric Co not at all) as then we only had 3 channels and they were mostly full of UK teaching programmes (happy sigh thinging about Play Away and Vision On - my claim to fame as a kiddie was winning an art competition on that one). Waffling on... where was I? I will definitely watch SS endlessly when it's a Jake SS. Be funny, won't it :D

I did see the dinos and what can I say - Brad! Whhat were you thinking of?? I like my scifi and I like my dinos but, really. Those lizard baddies were the worst lizards I've ever seen - even worse than Dr Who and what on earth was that accent Anna Friel was speaking? A very very strange Yorkshire accent with some Manchester and something southern thrown in. I was missing Brendan Fraser's Journey to the Center of the Earth - enjoyed that much more.

Saw The Proposal too - I really really enjoyed that and I now want to live in Alaska (in a big house by the sea with a private plane and speedboat).

I hope you're having a good evening! TDAT is just starting on TV - it's calling me...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

^^^ Apologies for long waffling comment - I've had too much sugar today (popcorn).

Carol said...

Really interesting post today WDW. Sesame Street was a huge favourite of mine when I was little. It was unmissable Saturday morning viewing:) Will definitely be watching the birthday celebrations.

Very interested hearing Naomi was involved in a US version of Upstairs Downstairs. That was definitely one of the best dramas ever made and one of my mom's all time favourite TV shows. They still show reruns late at night on ITV which I confess to sneaking a peek at especially after a night out:)

Hope you enjoyed The Proposal WDW. I went to see it over the weekend with a friend who has more than a little thing for Ryan Reynolds. Not being a Sandra Bullock fan I didn't think I'd enjoy it but I did. Thought it was real funny:) I think Orphan is out this week. I've seen a few trailers for it on TV. I too have an aversion to horror but I will probably make an exception for Peter.

Just watching TDAT too. We had a bank holiday here today which was very miserable and rainy so TDAT is a nice way of rounding off a fairly miserable holiday weekend:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! Sorry to hear you;ve had some unpleasant bank holiday weather. I think I did the right thing by spending the day in the cinema...

I absolutely adore Upstairs Downstairs. I grew up on it and I now have the whole series on DVD. Sometimes I catch the early morning repeats too. I like to think of Naomi watching it! Such a well-written and acted series - I don't like to think of Rose and Hudson being 'adapted'.

I really enjoyed The Proposal. Ryan Reynolds was new to me and I liked what I saw. There were some very funny touches. And the scenery was stunning. And the dog was cute :) I'll watch out for Orphan. I'll see it (carefully). I enjoyed TDAT tonight too.

paulh said...

"The Proposal" has a lot going for it, and my only real complaint is the ending, though I'm not sure what it should have been like. Ryan Reynolds should be a big star, and likely will be one soon. Betty White stole every scene she was in. I've loved her since her "Life with Elizabeth" series in the 1950s. She seems to reinvent herself almost as often as Mickey Rooney. :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Hi Paul :D I agree about Ryan Reynolds. Betty White seems to be in every other film made at the moment - maybe she's PoP's grandmother!

Have a good day - back at work... :(

Monica said...

Good morning, wet dark!
Here in Brazil had a version of Sesame Street.
I'm anxious to see the participation of Jake and Maggie!

Clip directed by Heath Ledger
Modest Mouse "King Rat"

Ruby said...

Thanks for that link Monica. Cool site.
I miss him. :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica :D Thanks very much for the link - I like that :)

Hey Rubes *)

Is it ever going to stop raining....?