Wednesday 28 October 2009

[Update] Jake and Elmo! Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway almost photographed together, PoP to be a PG13, and thoughts on Brothers

Updated to add what might well become my favourite picture of Jake ever - this is because I have a Moppets Thing and I have a Jake Thing - may I present Jake and Elmo! Can't wait to see more of you in November! Be still my heart...


Hold on to your Nike, dust off the spandex and get ready - this is an assault course of a post this evening, due to far too much going on in Gyllendom, and this is just a part 1. In other words, if there are too many bits and pieces in this post, please address your complaints to Jake Gyllenhaal, c/o Movie set (not the Russell Crowe one, the other one), Outside someone's house, Pittsburgh, USA. But we have pictures!


Talking of which... I may as well start off with Love and Other Drugs. Judging from various tweets, this movie set is managing to both thrill and dismay the city of Pittsburgh. The excitement of having a bona fide and hot movie star in one's street seems to be offset for some by the fact that Jake is affecting one's parking and he makes a racket at 5.30 in the morning. I would like it on record for all potential movie producers (including those of any PoP sequel), that I am more than prepared to put up with a pre-dawn din from Jake. I will even serve coffee and make someone else bake muffins.


Nevertheless, many of the Pitt's inhabitants love having a bit of Hollywood in their midst and today one lucky movie fan got a signed picture from Jake (plus a chat) and - at last! - a picture of the man himself! The full account of his encounter is here, as well a photo of the signed photograph, which includes a smilie variation. Many thanks to them for sharing their story. I hope that they succeed in getting a photo of Anne too.


Anne Hathaway is well and truly on the set now as is proven by a video which shows her looking very slight and young while wearing intriguing bootwear. Jake has also been seen on set today! There are many more pictures here.


More screenings of the Prince of Persia trailer are going on this week, not that we're hearing a peep about them just yet, but today there was some PoP news - it got a certificate and it's better than I'd hoped. While I would obviously prefer a full R rated romp, what we're getting is a PG-13. This is apparently unusual for Disney and suggests it may have an edge to it. The reason given is 'intense sequences of violence and action'.


There has also been a little bit more about Brothers, thanks again to Clifton Collins Jr who is receiving some attention due to his Star Trek credentials. The fact that he is about to appear in a movie with Oscar buzz has not escaped his interviewers.

Interview no. 1 - Q: 'Ok, so I wanted to ask you a little more about Brothers because its getting all this Oscar buzz for Jim Sheridan and Jake Gyllenhaal can you just tell me a little bit more about your role in the film? C: Yeah I play a commanding officer I more or less send Tobey [Maguire] out into the field and I kinda watch over him and I debrief him and of that nature you know the stuff that an officer would have to deal with in regards sending a soldier out and having to find out what his state of mind is. It’s and important film I think these military films, for me personally, they just rank so close to home in that my whole family was in Vietnam. All the males in my family my grandfather was in a different war but you know I grew up around it so I’ve always got this strong connection and I just think in apathy for all the great men and women that are out there fighting today.'


Q: 'That’s nice man that really really good to hear. The trailer for the movie just looks incredibly passionate and really deep. So, I’m really excited about it. C: As am I. The trailer is pretty heavy. I mean working with Sheridan is a freaking blast. I mean he’s Jim Sheridan! I mean wow, it’s just hard when your, like, a big fan of somebody you can’t just be the fan and you have to just try and be the actor, you know, but when you love what you do it’s kinda hard not to do a little of both.' The rest is here.


Interview no. 2 - 'This film is very special to me for many reasons both professional and personal. What can I say about Mr. Sheridan?? Shit, he’s Jim fucking Sheridan. Really amazing and I have to confess that I was in awe of him. He works very differently. REALLY trusts his actors, and is an actor himself. It’s obvious when you sit down and start throwing the ball with him, so to speak.'


'The subject matter of this piece is certainly something that all of America should pay attention too. Not to mention that aside, it is a truly an intense gripping story, maybe even “riveting”, I like that word critics always use it. :) I have to say when I got home, I sat down and watched In America with the director’s commentary, and my only regret in working with Mr. Sheridan is that I didn’t listen to the commentary prior to working with him, because although In America is a moving story, the commentary is just as moving if not more! It will bring you to tears to learn what Mr. Sheridan had to go through just to get here and survive...'


'Tobey is great, we’ve actually known each other for a while, but this was our first time working together. We have some pretty intense scenes. He was VERY committed to doing a great job, lots of prep, loosing weight etc. It’s an insane cast, and an absolute honor and privilege to be able to share the screen with SOO many talents. Jake [Gyllenhaal], the insanely talented Sam Shepard (I was just waiting for my chance to get at him, so many questions!). And of course the talented and super beautiful Natalie Portman. It was hard to not have a crush on her; she’s a very present and caring special lady!' More here.


Lionsgate's twitter - with its Brothers poster for an avatar - has woken up today, reminding people to check out the trailer and keep an eye on their twitter and facebook. Let us hope this is an indicator of some imminent publicity.

Pictures from links and IHJ. Thanks to all!

30 comments:

winterbird said...

Jake and Jim are getting Oscar buzz?!? I hope this is not just some PR manufactured buzz. I need more information!!!

Good to know that Jake and Anne are keeping each other company in Pittsburgh. I may just slightly forgive them for not giving us some pics.

PG-13 is quite appropriate for PoP, I think. Like Newell's Harry Potter. It's a violence-based videogame, after all.

Love all these news! may have to get used to consuming more Jake news in the coming months!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird! OMG I love all this Jake news - it's so overdue and now we have three big films on the way. Even Lionsgate can't ignore Brothers now! And PoP will only get more intense and LAOD will be out very fast. Great stuff - we're due it after two years of almost nothing.

FIngers crossed that Brothers gets plenty of attention. I'm glad to hear PoP will be a PG13. HP scared me to death so I have added hopes for PoP. The trailer sounds very exciting :)

Anonymous said...

Not much mention of Jake from Clifton but it seems that his scenes were mainly with Tobey.
Probably didn't have scenes with the rest of the cast - unless later on in the movie he is around when Tobey gets back.
We'll Know in December.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - Clifton was in the scenes when Tobey was in the army, so I doubt he was directly involved with Jake's, but it's great to have someone talk about the film! And it sounds like the whole thing was a great experience for him :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Jake and Elmo? Does it get any better than this?

JoeAnn said...

I'm with you. WD&W, that pic of Jake and Elmo is friggin' adorable. Only way it could have been improved is if it had been Grover in the pic instead. Nice to finally see some steady and exciting Jake buzz again.

Gretchen said...

omg that Jake and Elmo pic just killed me!!so adorable!wheeeeeee!!!!
i want one with Cookie Monster too!cause he's my favourite. :)

i wish the set pics were better but oh well at least we got some.
also that fan post was a delight to read.
thanks.

get real said...

OMG, so much news...so little time!! :D

Jake and Elmo...SQUEE of adorableness!!!

All the movie news is fantastic. I am excited to hear all of it. So good to hear about Jake's films getting buzz.

Great to hear all the L&AOD sightings. Love the pics of Jake and fans. Can't wait to see pics of him and Anne.

Great stuff!! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi JoeAnn! OMG I love it - I also love how we have our favourites. I adore Elmo but my favourite of all is the Moppatop dragon, I rescue them from carboot sales :D Don't tell anyone... It's so great to see so much excitement about Jake right now - love it!

It really is, Gretchen! Maybe we'll get a whole set with different characters - just too good to be true. The LAOD pics are blurry, but I'm so glad to have them and hopefully it bodes well for the rest of the shoot. It was good to read that :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! Posting at the same time! It's so exciting - so much going on, and it could be like this for months now :D All good!

get real said...

Also, just looked through all the L&OD set pics...Jake looks so good! Unlike a few other movies, his hair looks great and he seems so relaxed. Anne looks beautiful in her pics too. Can't wait to see them together.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I do agree about the hair, Get Real :D I think it suits him, the whole look does. It's a real change from PoP and Brothers. I find it fascinating how he can change his look for the movies, sometimes noot for the good, of course, but here, I like it. I'll be interested to see the range of wardrobe - I don't think it'll all be suits.

BBMISwear said...

SQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Jake and Elmo!!! I freaking LOVE it!!!!

Okay, I'll try to quiet down now...just ran into the livingroom with the announcement...the 13 year old is kinda rolling his eyes at me. I had to remind him that HE once LOVED Elmo and should be happy for me...LOL!!

I can't wait to see Jake on Sesame Street...and all this movie news...WOW! Thanks for all the great updates WDW! I was off line most of the day and what a pleasure to log back on and hear all this great news.

I saw the vid of Anne early this morning and was happy to see her...but of course I want one of Jake and one of the two of them and, no, I am never satisfied with what I get...ha ha! At least there are pics of Jake on set and I couldn't help but giggle at his and Anne's puffy black jackets...they kind of match!

The fan's account was great but I am laughing a little at the "smilie variation" comment, WDW. :-) Are you thinking that is a sideways smilie?? I'm thinking it's a dash after the fan's name and a crooked explanation point! LOL! Oh the things we discuss here, huh?! You also have me laughing with your special notation to movie producers of how happy you would be to have Jake on set outside your house early in the morning and would provide coffee (muffins made by someone else)!! You crack me up...although, as you know, this would be me too!!

Great to hear new stuff re: PoP and Brothers too. Such a whirlwind of a Jake news day...with more coming in the weeks ahead as we all know. Including ELMO...whooowheee!!

This post made me very happy during an otherwise not so happy week...thank you!

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Carol said...

OMG I love that pic of Jake and Elmo:)

Off to watch True Blood now but will read the rest of the post later. It's so good that we are finally getting a steady stream of news and Brothers is on the radar again.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Yeay! BBMISwear :-) I love that you pick up on those things! That really looked like a Jake type smilie to me :D Soooo open to interpretation. So, are you gonna bake the muffins?

Elmo is very educational - Hopefully your son and all Gyllenhaalic children will learn a great deal from Jake's appearance on Sesame Street - he may sing the alphabet to us. That would help me no end at work. It will all be thanks to Jake.

I love the puffy jackets!

It's going to be so much fun over the next few months - I'm so glad this post cheered you up - it did me too :-)

Hey there Carol! It really is good :D It's been a good day (well, evening... :D)

Anonymous said...

That pic of Jake with Elmo is probably one of the most beautiful I have seen. :) Can't wait to watch Sesame Street!

Bertie

Anonymous said...

This looks like the quick promo clip we saw on PBS for Sesame Street's 40th anniversary - I don't think I've seen it since tho. :)

Bertie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Bertie! Just look at Jake's face in that pic - isn't he beautiful?! Oh, I love it. And I remember when that clip was mentioned, it's good we can see a pic of it now - that's an understatement :D

I'm gushy this evening - had a hard day and at the end of it here is Jake putting a smile on my face :)

Anonymous said...

isn't he beautiful?!

Oh yes! :)

My day wasn't so hot either, and it's nice to see these pics for Gyllensmiles and Gyllencalm.

Anonymous said...

^^Sorry, that was me.

Bertie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Jake's done us good today, Bertie :D definitely put a smile on my face after a very grumppy day :) Maybe we'll have better days tomorrow.

BBMISwear said...

Can't. Stop. Looking. At. The. Jake. And. Elmo. Picture. :-)

Anonymous said...

Jake looks like he is strangling Elmo! But all in good fun, yes?

Glad Clifton Collins is so willing to talk about his Brothers experience. It would be nice if some of the other people involved would be as engaged.

Not talking about Jake, bcz he is very busy working. But Lionsgate ought to be able to get something out there. Facebook and Twitter is not sufficient unto the film. So to speak.

Anon 3:07 said...

One more thing. I am dubious of the suggestion that there is Oscar buzz for Jake and James Sheridan and they don't mention Tobey. There would have to be some for him, too I would think.

Anon 3:07 said...

One more thing. I am dubious of the suggestion that there is Oscar buzz for Jake and James Sheridan and they don't mention Tobey. There would have to be some for him, too I would think.

Anonymous said...

CUTE Jake and Elmo. but this means we have to wait until next year to see him on Shalom Sesame?

Thanks for all the info. I am still waiting to hear more about Brothers, maybe a mag interview with Jake. If that is going to happen it has to be happening this coming month. I guess we'll have to stay tuned

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! OMG I love that picture... I want it on a pillow.

Me. Too. BBMISwear :-)

Hi there 3:07! Strangling Elmo?! Oh blimey.... :D No, that's a tender, loving embrace, chuckle. I absolutely agree with you that Brothers merits something from Lionsgate - I'm hoping that they'll just use twitter/Facebook to announce it. The Oscar buzz mentions I've seen have mentioned Jake, Tobey and Jim in a variety of combinations. For some reason, this one didn't mention Tobey. I've got to say, I don't want another situation where Jake and his co-star can't both me up. Interesting :)

Hi Sweetpea :D I'm not sure of the scheduling for Shalom Sesame - hopefully we'll hear soon. I'm hoping they'll be something in the December issues of the mags (and January here). Fingers crossed...

Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

I can't decide what I like better: incredibly hot picures of Jake or insanely adorable pictures of Jake. But this one has a little of both. God, I just want to hug him and then nuzzle that patch of peeking chest hair. I think the fact he can look so adorable makes him hot. Does that make sense? I love this picture! I bet Ramona loved it too (but probably not for all the same reasons as me :D ).

Thanks for all the Jake movie news, seems like the drought is over. The only thing missing is a picture of Jake with Anne. Come on Pittsburgh people! (Maybe if we say it enough it will come true!)

I hope everyone is having a nice day!

Olympia

BBMISwear said...

"OMG I love that picture... I want it on a pillow" - Me. Too. WDW. :-)

Ditto to everything Olympia said. I'm having the exact same thoughts!

*goes to stare at picture of Jake and Elmo for the 9,842nd time*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

'I can't decide what I like better: incredibly hot picures of Jake or insanely adorable pictures of Jake. But this one has a little of both.'

I love this, Olympia! That is just what Jake does to me too - the hot vs the adorable. Both are captivating and this picture just sums up both sides.

I think next year is going to be incredible! It does feel like the rains have come :D

Hey BBMISwear :-) I've done a new post and used this favourite of favourite pics with discretion :D