Friday 30 October 2009

The Jake Gyllenhaal vs Elmo face off and An Education - A Review

It's been brought to my attention that some people - and I mention no names - are making comparisons between Jake Gyllenhaal and Elmo, even suggesting that Elmo is ahead on the cuteness scale. I would agree that Elmo is undoubtedly hairier than Jake, and indeed redder than Jake, but is he cuter? Is he as good in the kitchen? What does he look like in spandex?



Please note that Leona Lewis, a winner of the X Files or X Factor, when asked about her latest celebrity crush did not go all gooey-eyed over Elmo: 'I fancy Jake Gyllenhaal. He’s hot, and I like tall, rugged guys.' Could Elmo ever be described as 'rugged'?



When Fran of Travis asked people to vote over Jake's hotness, did he compare a shirtless Jake with a shirtless Elmo? Oh no. And many thanks to Aggiegurl for posting a picture of this moment from the On The Road show. And thanks to Gretchen for finding it.


An Education - an interlude

I finally got to see An Education this evening, having had to leave the premiere screening early. It was brought home to me how much the whole feeling of a movie can change during the magical process of film making. I saw a scene being filmed in Oxford for this which would have completely changed the resolution of this story, for us and for the characters. Perhaps this scene wasn't filmed with any serious intention of it ending up in the final cut, but, irrespective of that, I saw it as such and when tonight I saw the closing scene, there was something missing from it. Obviously it's difficult to speak of this without giving anything away of the story and so I won't. But it made me realise how different a film can seem when you've been fortunate enough to have seen a part of it filmed.


As for the finished film in the theatre tonight, I wasn't entirely sure about it. I thought Carey Mulligan and Alfred Molina were fabulous (making me very keen to see Carey in Brothers and Alfred in Prince of Persia) but Peter Sarsgaard's casting proved an oddity for me. He was sexy and urbane and looked every inch the part when out on the streets of London and Paris. And yet, as soon as Peter moved indoors, for me, he was out of place. The accent didn't seem quite right, the humour was uncomfortable - the seduction of Jenny less believable, more awkward. Peter is a superb, charismatic actor and I'm still waiting for him to have the role he deserves. This was a step forward for sure. A giant step for Carey.


It's always strange seeing your hometown in a movie and Oxford is a character in its own right in An Education. I rather liked that and I'm very thankful it brought Peter and Carey here. I'm looking forward to seeing how this film, and its actors, does in the awards season. Could we see Jake and Peter competing for the same awards?

Includes pictures by IHJ, WDW and BBMISwear. Guest appearance by Elmo.

16 comments:

BBMISwear said...

Who on earth would think Elmo is cuter than Jake?! I mean, yes, he is cute. So freaking cute. But cuter than Jake? I don't think so. And as far as spandex goes...well...I will have to do a bit more research on that I think.

Thanks go to you, Aggiegurl and Gretchen for the Travis/Jake shirtless pic. Remember when this bit of info came out and we hoped to see exactly what this picture/slide show demonstration looked like? Now we know...and it's perfect I think!!

Wow...WDW...such a wonderful and honest recap of An Education. I have to say you have me quite intrigued and I look forward to seeing this all for myself (and of course will report back)!

Loving the Elmo pictures. Can it get any sillier than this?! Errr...yes...maybe it can!! :-)

anouska said...

Hey WDW - I am so looking forward to An Education - might see it this weekend.

I had to share my word: gonsingl
!
x

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - well anyone who can read this :) I can access blogger on my blackberry but not on a computer!

Hey BBMISwear :-) Elmo in spandex - now there's a thought! I love that we can see a pic now from the Coldplay show :D

Great to see you here Nouskie!! Enjoy An Education - I'm looking forward to hearing what you think xx

I'll keep this short in case it won't post :/ have a good day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hmm it worked so why can't I see you from my laptop, blogger? Is it just me having problems?

BBMISwear said...

Okay, so this is weird...I can connect to WDW without a problem from my laptop...but I can't connect to IHJ!!! Is there a Gyllenconspiracy going on here?!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BBMISwear! Blogger is down in much of europe - but not on phones so I can only access it on my blackberry! Blogger says it's not down. Ahem...

IHJ is down and Stephanie knows.

We have gremlins :/

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW, *waves* sorry I've been busy with work stuff, but I couldn't help but sneak in and say how much I adore the Jake & Elmo picture :)))
Jake's smile and eye expression is so cute, and yes, it almost looks like he's strangling poor Elmo... but Elmo doesn't seem to mind *grin* Well, how could he?

Thank you so much for your latest, very informative posts.
I still have got to see An Education, but this week I went to see Dr Parnassus and I really enjoyed the movie, perhaps more than I thought at first. Heath was so great in it, so full of energy, and it reminded me when Terry Gilliam said nearly Heath had contributed with something like half of his on screen dialogue... Wow. I'm even more in awe of Heath's talent, if that's possible...

Love & hugs
Paola

paulh said...

"An education" hasn't opened in my area yet. My theory about the mysterious disappearance of the scene in question is that the filmmakers were surreptitiously filming WDW's encounter with Peter, and decided to incorporate it into a *sequel.* You're about to become a movie star, WDW. :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

YEAY!!!! BLOGGER'S BACK!!!

Sorry - it's been hours and now I feel much better :)

Hi Paola! Good to see you :D I don't think Elmo minds a spot of strangling if it's from Jake. I am so glad to hear you had such an amazing response to Dr P. It's good to see that this film is still in the theatres here :)

Ooh, yes please, Paul! I find it fascinating how a movie changes during the filming process and how many deleted scenes there must be. It makes me realise again how much I'd love to see them for BBM and how much I regret David Fincher simply deleting them for Zodiac.

My word is modcat :/

Wet Dark and Wild said...

PS... this trouble that European bloggers have had with blogger all day today has highlighted for me the value of twitter as a medium...

... and how much I miss this place when I can't get on.

Anonymous said...

Peter Sarsgaard has generally got very high praise for his interpretation of his character in the most important newspapers in my country. So I really wonder what happend to you during the movie.

H.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Anonymous person - Strange as it may seem to you, but I actually am entitled to give an opinion on my own blog about a movie I have actually seen.

I spoke about a movie, some of which I saw being filmed with my own eyes - unlike some of your 'important papers' (God only knows what one of those might be) - this coloured my opinion of the film. This was the point of my comment.

You 'really wonder what happened to me during this movie'? What do you think really happened?!! I was abducted by aliens? Er, I watched it, I thought about it, I gave a personal opinion... This is because I am an individual with my own thoughts, not dictated to by 'important papers'.

If you've seen the film and disagree then that's more thaan fine, put your OWN review forward, not that of other people, and don't question what 'really happened to me'.

Blimey, where's the ice cream...

winterbird said...

when someone can't decide whether she/he is an Anon or a H., then citing other people's opinions instead of her/his own, I wonder what happened to her/him during the movie. Or he or she hasn't seen it and just being, you know... *g*

For the record, I liked Peter's performance in An Education, and that's just my opinion.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Wintrbird! Good to hear your opinion :D I liked Peter in it too, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie - the atmosphere in it was amazing - I thought that in some scenes he seemed miscast. Emma Thompson's character terrified me!

I hope everyone has a good 1 November - good weather for ducks here... :/

winterbird said...

I got a chuckle as Emma Thompson's list of career choices for women with a degree *g*

It's like a mini hurricane outside here!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Me too :D I just went out for a walk and a fence blew down right next to me... Apparently, some barns have been seen taking off! I'm closing the airlock...