Sunday 1 November 2009

[Updated]Tobey Maguire talks Brothers... Jake Gyllenhaal on Jack Twist and Swofford - 'They both come from my heart'

[Updated] Is this a sign that the Brothers' publicity machine is finally getting into gear? Today Tobey Maguire talked to the LA Times about the challenges of playing Sammy. Tobey also discusses Jake's role and the relationship between the brothers: 'Tommy finds himself to be unworthy, unlovable," says Maguire of Gyllenhaal's character, "so he isolates, he doesn't get attached or connected. The older brother is such a strait-laced good guy who's been good at things his whole life, had the attention of their father, ended up getting a great wife and family and all of that. And when I go away, Tommy learns how to show up and he learns responsibility. He learns how to care for people and gets cared for."' More here.

On with the post!

Before we get hit by the full force of the Prince of Persia trailer sandwave - I'm already practising my deep breathing exercises - there's time for a Brokie Sunday post (plus a sprinkling of Jarhead magic). This is prompted by Ang Lee's arrival in London last week for the festival showing of Taking Woodstock. Not surprisingly, on meeting the man himself, some journalists wanted to talk about Brokeback Mountain.


'"I was directing Heath kissing [Jake Gyllenhaal] and I told him that you would never kiss a woman that hard," he told Metro exclusively. "He needed to do it in a heroic Western way, more passionately. I remember seeing Michelle watching while we filmed - at that point they were already 'friends' - and she had a look of concentration on her face because she also thought he should be stronger with Jake."'


When Brokeback was new, Jake grew used to questions on whether it was a career risk to be on the receiving end of Heath's kiss: 'Play a gay man, and you're "a risk. Yeah, we heard that. But if I'm doing a movie that's not a risk - and I have - I'm wasting my time. Everything an actor or artist or writer is doing should be courageous. So it's redundant to think of this as a risky choice, because that's the job of art... It doesn't take much courage to say 'I'm going to be in an Ang Lee movie.' In a weird way, people saying it's brave to take this role kind of belittle Ang, one of the best directors of our times."'


'"I have always felt confident. That's 80 percent of being an actor, and it's what I look at when I scrutinize male actors my age: that ambition and drive and confidence. The last 20 percent of it is experience in life. If you're hesitant as a performer, if you don't believe your own (emotional) choices, there's no reason to be acting, because it's such a powerless job."


"(It happens) all the time that you're about to start a movie and you have no idea what you're doing. On `Brokeback,' I felt that way, but I embraced it. I just asked myself, 'Where am I going now, in this scene? I won't worry about where I'm going next.'" (Interview in the Charlotte Observer, 8 January 2006: 'Sitting opposite him in a hotel suite, you can see why directors won't leave Gyllenhaal alone. He's almost indecently handsome: broad-shouldered, six feet tall, square-jawed in the manner of a cowboy hero, with blue eyes that look gray if light hits them right and a shock of black hair that comes to a peak in the front.')


In March 2006, Jake answered five questions for a 'Wise Guide':

1: What was the transition like between these characters?
Gyllenhaal: There are a lot of physical differences and a lot of differences in terms of intention, but ultimately both of them come from parts of me. In that way, they're the same, kind of. They both come from my heart and it's the same derivation. There's definitely a rage that ("Jarhead's") Tony Swofford, the character of Swofford, had that the character of Jack Twist doesn't. He's much more open and engaged, much less cynical.


2: You went from horseback riding to boot camp. Talk about the physical differences.
Gyllenhaal: ("Brokeback" director Ang Lee) put a set of weights outside my trailer because he wanted me to kind of bulk up for that part. I tried my best, but I didn't do it as well as maybe he wanted. But then for "Jarhead," it was sort of mandatory. So I spent those three months reading, and I started working out like really heavily.


3: What appealed to you about these two roles?
Gyllenhaal: With "Jarhead," it was just kind of like a perfect match. When you get to be a certain age and you're learning how to be a man, there are probably physical, hormonal things and just, I don't know, spiritual things that happen. The feeling of wanting to punch your fist through a wall and not understanding what that is. It's just inherent in growing up. But that's a real, legitimate feeling, and those feelings and that part just coincided perfectly. And there is a resistance in both of the characters. They're not allowed to be their full selves, and I think that I was really drawn to that.


4: It seemed like "Jarhead" was destined to be a blockbuster, but "Brokeback" is the one that captured audiences. Did the reception of the two films surprise you?
Gyllenhaal: With "Brokeback," you're dealing with a genuine love story. I think that's what people have responded to. That's what's so amazing, is that people can watch it as that, even with the quote-unquote political subtext. And with "Jarhead," it's overtly political. People took into that film - unfortunately, I think - they took their own opinions and issues. I love that there are people who loved it and hated it. Both of the movies had that same response.


5: Were you disappointed with how "Jarhead" fared at the box office?
Gyllenhaal: We live in a world where you need initial response, a big jolt. People want to know something was historic immediately for some reason. I've witnessed, with a lot of movies I've been in, a slow crawl and an appreciation as people have had time with it. Even a movie like "Donnie Darko" or something, it's insane how people have responded to that film. Initially, someone could have said are you upset with how it went, and maybe at that time I may have (said) yeah, maybe I am. But I'm not. At all. It's found itself. I'm so proud of it. My mentality has changed.


Articles from WDW dusty archives. As always, pdfs available on request. Includes pictures from IHJ.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Almost indecently handsome". LOL! I love that description!

Thank you for a BBM post (with a dash of Jarhead) with such a great selection of pics, it's always nice to see the boys together. I especially love the one with them applauding Ang. It's nice to see the camaraderie between them and I always get a chuckle looking at Heath's old worn boots and colorful socks. He had a very special sense of style! :D

Totally by chance, I saw a very short part of the trailer on TV Friday night while channel surfing, along with an even shorter presentation by Jake. He was ever so charming in introducing the clip, kind of flirty which was great, and I must say he looked really good as Dastan in the trailer. We didn't hear him speak but the way he moved, he looked convincing as the prince. I'm almost tempted to go see 2012 just to see the trailer on a big screen. This is all getting so exciting! Is it Tuesday yet?

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia! So glad you enjoyed the post - I enjoyed spending an afternoon in the company of Jack Twist and Swoff :)

OMG Jake introduced the clip?! What wass this on? What did he do? What did he say? I'm definintely tempted to see 2012 :D Very, very exciting!

Anonymous said...

Well, it was on Entertainment Tonight and if I remember correctly (but keep in mind, I was kind of in shock, I wasn't expecting this at all) he was sitting, wearing a pale blue shirt and looking gorgeous and he said somethin like: "Hi Mary, here's a clip from my movie Prince of Persia but it's only for you, don't show it to anybody else OK?" with a shy kinda flirty smile, you know the one.

And he didn't look weird or awkward as the prince, like I was afraid he was gonna look. I think he will do just fine. And to me, the hair looked much better in motion than in picture. I wished There had been a bit of the banter between Dastan and the princess. That's the part I'm looking forward the most, I'm sure Jake will be awsome at it.

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much for the info, Olympia! Jake just popping up like that on TV - amazing. He sounds deliciously flirty. Sigh.... Thanks for putting a smile on my face. And role on Tuesday!!

Anonymous said...

'Sitting opposite him in a hotel suite, you can see why directors won't leave Gyllenhaal alone. He's almost indecently handsome: broad-shouldered, six feet tall, square-jawed in the manner of a cowboy hero, with blue eyes that look gray if light hits them right and a shock of black hair that comes to a peak in the front.

Beautiful, strong description. Interesting post today, as always! Looking forward to tomorrow's trailer. Some of you have already seen it? :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Anon! I'm glad you liked it - it's an amazing description of Jake - spot on :) A 'cowboy hero' - sigh.

Olympia was lucky enough to see a glimpse on Friday. It's not gonna be long before we all see it - how exciting is that?! I remember the first time I saw the Zodiac trailer, and this is even more exciting than that :D

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just saw that the site IGN.com says they will be showing the trailer November 2 at 7 PM PST! If this is true and I did the conversion correctly, that would mean tomorrow at 10 PM my time. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow night at 10? Yay! :D

Olympia

Anonymous said...

wonderful comments from Jake. I look forward to seeing the trailer from POP

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia! Yes, it's great news - but I also think (having just spoken to Stephanie) that the trailer may show on ET tomorrow evening at 7pm your time, so even better. Over here, we'll have to wait til the early hours... :(

Me too, Sweetpea :)

I just updated the post because Tobey Maguire has been talking about Brothers to the LA Times! Yes, publicity!!!!!

BBMISwear said...

Wonderful BBM Post today WDW! *heavy sigh* This always happens with BBM Posts...pretty much BBM anything...lots of heavy sighing. But I will never get enough...never, ever, ever. Great Jarhead stuff too. I guess I should just say "really great Jake stuff today" - that covers it I think!!

The need to do some random TV watching is starting to heat up I guess. I haven't stumbled upon the Sesame Street commercial with Jake yet nor the Entertainment Weekly episode that Olympia saw...but if it's like this now can you imagine what it's going to be like in the weeks/months/year to come?! Maybe I should just record every TV channel, every day, for the next year...LOL! I'm not complaining, mind you, but WOW...it's really building up now!

It sounds like tomorrow is now the day for the PoP trailer on line?! Whoowhee!! The internet just may crash with all the on line trailer watching I suspect will be going on. I hope WDW is capable of posting something after viewing the trailer about a hundred times. If we don't hear from you, WDW, we'll send over some smelling salts...ha ha!!

I'm looking forward to this exciting week. Maybe we'll get a good magazine article or two as well in the next week or so? Brothers is a month away after all...Jeez!!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BBMISwear :-) I loved the articles - my favourite bit was when Jae talked about confidence being 80% of being an actor, and also how Jarhead was part of his growing up process. Makes these films extra special.

I'm waiting to hear similar insights but for Brothers!

What a great idea! Record everything on the telly so we don't miss a thing :D Thanks for the smelling salts - I think I'm gonna need them...

Anonymous said...

Argh!!! I won't be home at 7 PM! *sigh* I guess I can wait 3 more hours...maybe...

This is so weird that we're hearing more about POP that doesn't come out for another 6 months than about Brothers that comes out in a month. I know it's not gonna be a blockbuster but still... With the total lack of publicity for Brothers, I wonder if we'll get a "Jake week" before the release. God I hope so, I miss Jake in interviews.

Olympia

BBMISwear said...

Yay! Finally! Some Brothers PR! (And what is said here only confirms how much I think I am going to love Tommy in this movie).

Okay, can we now get someone to sit down with Jake Gyllenhaal and interview HIM about his role in Brothers?! Are we only going to hear from those who were in the movie with him without hearing from him directly?! Is this a ploy to freak out Gyllenhallics?!

Sorry for the rant...not directed at anyone here (obviously) just thinking out loud!

*waits patiently (not) for Jake to talk about Brothers*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Makes me think though, BBMISwear, that if they got Tobey in to talk about Brothers, they're going to do the same with the rest of the cast - pleeeese! And the publicity for Jake in PoP can only help. This interview is such a good sign that there will be more - and not just other people talking about Jake but Jake himself! I'm sure it's imminent :D

Anonymous said...

Probably an actor who was not athletic and then doing a role like POP that would maybe show he might not be right for the role.
But to get both a very athletic actor and a good one imagine the people who put it together felt very safe with him in the role.

Not having internet at the time don't know how people felt about someone like Burt Lancaster who did both swashbuckling roles and also very serious drama. But i feel at the time they just saw him as an actor who could do all types of things.
Jake is one of those.

Entertainment Tonight had the bit from POP as an "exclusive" they will be showing later. I think this Monday. At least that was how i understood it.

Would hope to finally see some ads on tv also for "Brothers" in the next week or two.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - Jake definitely presents the best of both worlds :) Yes, I understand that ET are showing the trailer tomorrow - let's hope so!

BBMISwear said...

*sets DVR for Monday Night - ET*

And I don't mean the alien!

I think it's going to be a good week! :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I think so, BBMISwear :-) Wish I could watch it with you!

Morning all, beautiful day out there, let's hope it lasts. This is going to be quite a week! Have a good day :D

TD said...

Lovely post! Thank you. A fitting send off before the PoP madness begins. I have to warn you I may duck and run for cover from tomorrow, as the trailer itself will probably be all the behind the scenes info I can take - but I will try to be brave and lurk at least! Godspeed ;-)

Anonymous said...

OMG! I think I saw the trailer!

SPOILER ALERT - so skip if you want to delay gratification. ;)

His voice and accent - so perfect, and very, very sexy. "Don' press your luck".

Tamina is beautiful, love her Queen Cleopatra look. Dastan's climbing looks very very real, as does everyone's part - Ben Kingsley's voice is great too, and the costumes! I love "the Gods have a plan for you." It's very Homer's Oddysey. Loved it!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say, it's seeing Jake in an entirely new way - it's wonderful. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TD! Oh you have to stay for the trailer :D It'll be amazing! Good to see you :)

Hi Anon! You think you saw the trailer? Where? All of it, some of it? We need details!! On TV, on the net? I cannot wait to see it :D It's all to much...

Anonymous said...

Here's the link - it's a totally different Jake.

Prince of Persia Trailer

Hope this link works - enjoy! :)

Anonymous said...

Or the Iliad - did I mention there's a great kiss too? :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Anon! You found it!!!! That is amazing and I'm so grateful! I wish I wasn't at work so I could listen to it properly and watch it - the accent... the scenes...

THANK YOU!!! Did a new post :) I think the first of many on this!