Friday 2 October 2009

Work with Jake Gyllenhaal and you can have snacks and a bit of habitat. Peter Sarsgaard talks tea and football

There are so many extras in Love and Other drugs that the supply of Pittsburgh people (Pittsburghians? Pittsburgs?) has now dried up. The producers are having to resort to new methods to get people to spend a minimum of 12 hours in the company of Jake Gyllenhaal. Here is where they're going wrong - they would only have to look in my direction and I'd be there for a minimum of 12 days but, instead, they're now bribing potential extras by giving them snacks and offering money to habitat construction charities. While I would never turn down a jaffa cake to work with Jake Gyllenhaal, I wouldn't like a casting agency to think I demand it. More here.


Last night An Education continued its pre-award season trailblazing with an LA premiere. As well as doing a very good job of showing off Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard also talked more about working in England. He will miss the football. As this is a British blog, I'll leave out the inverted commas around football, whilst also assuming that Peter is referring to Man Utd.


'The US actor premiered his new movie An Education in Hollywood and told reporters the best part about living in England was "football". As for the movie, set in 60s Britain, Peter explained it was important to make sure certain elements were factually correct, saying: "We had the Brits keeping us accurate about, you know, how to make the tea - those details are great."' I admit it's complicated - you put a teabag in a cup, pour water on it and add milk to taste. As the subject of tea has popped up, I recall a recent trip to the US when I asked in a cafe what type of tea they served. 'It's in a bag,' they replied. More from Peter here.


Peter also let loose that his next movie will take him to Boston: 'He revealed he’s about to leave for Boston to be in director James Mangold’s “Wichita” opposite Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. When I asked what character he’d be playing, he’d only say he was Tom Cruise’s foil. Does that mean he’s the villain? I don’t know. But I do know he hadn’t been announced as part of the cast yet.'


Another site has dropped hints to a future, revealing interview with Peter, conducted in Toronto: In it, 'he spoke pretty forthrightly about why “K-19” and “Jarhead” didn’t do well at the box office, who his initial fan base was (“Very, very damaged women”), what his choices are like (“I don’t have the pick of the litter”) and why he never wants to make a big movie with his wife.' Peter impressed nj.com.


Clifton Collins Jr has been talking about Brothers again as he continues to promote his zombie movie: 'I just wanted to collaborate with [Jim] and work with him and that's what he does. He's a big collaborator and he's all about the truth, and the truth of the scene and the honesty in it. Working with Toby (Maguire), he's an old friend and (Jake) Gyllenhaal, who I got to know during the Brokeback and Capote days, you know with doing the Oscar circuits and stuff. That, Sam Shepard and Natalie Portman, who I've had a crush on for I don't know how long. She's beautiful and talented and smart and really precious, truth be told. She's a special girl and it was a dream job. It was hard, emotionally, in a lot of different ways. Brad Renfro passed and I thought about Heath (Ledger) passing, literally minutes before they shot my big close-up when I'm debriefing Toby. It was a tough thing just to keep it together and try to act and to have all this new dialogue that Jim, Toby and myself came up with. But I have high hopes for it. It's an incredible script and it's based off a Danish film, which I've heard is amazing. I haven't had a chance to see it.'

'Everybody put their heart and soul into it and I cried my eyes out on more than one occasion, just doing military research and all this stuff. Yeah, it definitely deserves and we definitely put our heart into it.' More here.


Includes pictures from IHJ and here.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I love the third picture. It's one of the best I've seen of Peter. He looks and sounds like such a nice guy.

Second, "'It's in a bag,' they replied". Are you serious? :DDD I would of liked to see your face when you heard that! LOL!

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Olympia! My admiration for Peter grows constantly - he's such an interesting guy. A movie star but like us in some ways.

Oh yes, they really did say that. That was in Florida a couple of years ago. I gave them a look, all right. Although, ironically, the best pot of tea I've ever had was in the US in Ben Sur. The setting didn't hurt :)

It's the weekend!

Monica said...

Peter is so adorable and sexy! I'm increasingly in love with this great actor!
Football? I don't like football.

'Everybody put their heart and soul into it

I love to know about this dedication.

paulh said...

Here I am, howling with laughter over Peter's observation that his fan base is one of "very damaged women." Peter, give yourself more credit than that! You can also appeal to damaged men. ;-)

I just came from seeing "Star Bright," about the romance between poet John Keats and a woman who loved him. Ben Whishaw plays Keats. He was never in a movie with Jake, but he was in a movie with Naomi Watts, who was Heath Ledger's fiance at one point. Abby Cornish plays Keats's lover. Abby, fine Australian that she is, filmed "Candy" with Heath Ledger.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Monica :D Me too :) He's fascinating to listen to. I can't wait for the Jake interviews to come.

Hey Paul! That's so funny! I sometimes think Peter doesn't realise what a sexy guy he is. Star Bright sounds really good - I'll look out for it. I'm hoping to see something this afternoon. I did want to see Creation but that's hard to find, so it may be Surrogates. The theatres are full of kiddie movies.

Have a good Saturday everyone!

Carol said...

These pictures of Peter are really nice. I agree Peter doesn't realise how attractive he is especially in light of the remark about his fanbase being "damaged women":)

From all the interviews I've ever seen or read with him he comes across as a really down to earth guy.

I went to see Creation last week WDW. Would definitely recommend it if you can get to it. I will be indulging in kiddie movie myself this weekend!! Heading to see Fame later. I used to dream of going to that particular high school as a kid:)

Hope everyone has a great weekend:)

Monica said...

Happy birthday,Ramona!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting thread, WDW. I think Peter's wrong about his leading man status. If he was talking about Pitt, Clooney, Matt Damon, Tom Hanks level, fine. No, he isn't. And he wouldn't be able to fill Nick Cage's or Bruce Willis' shoes either.(!) But he's definitely leading man material at a secondary level. I can remember back when Paul Rudd was considered "over." He didn't "happen." He disappeared, but now he's back and very popular. Same with Mark Ruffalo.

I think Peter is very interesting to watch. The more he works the more people will appreciate him. Sort of like Chris Cooper's career. But even better. I definitely see an Oscar in his future.

Peter is a character actor thru and thru. He can do anything.
I'm always amazed at all the intersections, like him working with Ben Kingsley and now Jake is, or him being good friends with Paul Rudd, and Reese is, too. Maggie and Peter are well matched. They will do brilliant things over a long period of time.

Anonymous said...

I love that closeup pic of Peter, he's a very handsome man. I think he's a very fine actor as well. Looking forward to seeing An Education. I'm off to see Bright Star today too! :)

Happy Birthday to Ramona - she looked so cute in the latest pics, walking with her Mom. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! I have too many fond memories of the first Fame to see this one :D I hope you enjoy it. I saw Surrogates which was ok but far too similar too I,Robot. Whenever I see Bruce now, he reminds me of hot Jake at the tennis!

Hi Monica :D I can hardly believe Ramona's three! Where does the time go? Wonder what Uncle Jake got her... I hope she has a lovely day :)

Thanks for that, Anon :D I do agree, Peter has carved out a fine career for himself as one of the best of his generation. It's not all about being the great movie star, which, ironically, Peter's brother-in-law may well become. Jake's career path must give Peter pause for thought. I really can see Peter winning an Oscar. And he is one of those actors that I can't keep my eyes off when he's on the screen - dominates it.

I can never get over how small the world of movie making is. Just look at Alfred Molina and Carey Mulligan!

I hope everyone's having a good day and, if you're in the UK, not getting battered too much by the gales.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there 16:02 - posting at the same time :D I hope you enjoy the film. I saw an advert at my cinema today for An Education. I think it's showing in a couple of weeks :D

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think character actors are so much more interesting. Chris Cooper is someone I have admired for years, everything he's in he's wonderful in, Sea Biscuit and Lone Star are two that come to mind. I can see an Oscar in Peter's future too. Peter was outstanding in The Dying Gaul, his vulnerabilty so believable, very subtly implosive performance in Jarhead. I wish I had seen him in Kinsey. Jake to me is a character actor and leading man, the best of both!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon! Oh you must see Kinsey. It's incredible. And I do agree about Jake - the perfect combination.

Talking of whom, there is a tweet that Jake is on someone's flight today - I wonder if this is Jake flying to NYC (the tweeter is a New Yorker)... possibly from Boston as another report had Jake and Reese at a wedding there yesterday. So maybe there's going to be some trifle and cake at Ramona's tonight :)

Anonymous said...

^^Very nice! :)

Gretchen said...

Clifton Collins Jr had impressed me very much in Capote.had it been another year he could have gotten supporting actor nom.and other awards too.

and i love Peter.he's so humble and endearing.but i'm afraid he'll be typecast as the villain in mainstream movies. :( he can do so much more.

btw can the Sesame Street promo video featuring Jake be found online yet?

good evening. :]

Monica said...

He's very good in Kinsey.
I'm in love with his character in The Salton Sea. His character is sweet, funny and loyal!

I really can see Peter winning an Oscar.
Me too.

Carol said...

Happy Birthday Ramona:) Hope you have a great day.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon :)

Hey there Gretchen :D I'd forgotten Clifton was in that! As far as Peter goes, I'm hoping An Education (on top of Elegy) will grab some attention. I've not seen the Sesame St promo vid yet but I'm looking - fingers crossed... Have a good evening :)

Hey Monica! I've not seen the Salton Sea - that's another to add to the list.

Waves to Carol!