Wednesday 2 December 2009

Brothers week - a video frenzy. Brokeback No 5 for London Film Critics Circle and LAOD wraps

Late, late, late tomorrow night, Jake Gyllenhaal has what may be his only TV appearance for Brothers, the Jimmy Kimmel Show. The TV Guide's 'Big Movie Premiere: Brothers' is also on tomorrow. So, for now, while we wait, a video catchup. I know that some people had a lot of trouble viewing Jake's Epix Brothers promo video and so I've put in on YouTube as it's so good - especially if you're a lipreader.



There are some other videos worth posting today as Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman continue to blaze the trail, without that most charismatic of Brothers. This includes an excerpt from Tobey's appearance on the Tonight Show last night.



In this interview and feature, Natalie and Tobey discuss what they have learned about military families.



Natalie did take a moment to describe Jake when she attended the Gotham Independent Film Awards on Monday: 'He’s fun, spontaneous, funny and charismatic by the ton. He’s really always different every take. It’s very exciting.'

The internet has been buzzing today with a new official poster for Prince of Persia - Courage. We, of course, thanks to IHJ, first saw these images almost two weeks ago. They're definitely worth another peek.


This week the London Film Critics Circle met and, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their film awards, a poll took place 'that took in the winners of all categories, including British and foreign films, since the ceremony began in 1980.' The Top 10 is a fine ensemble of movies and there, right in the middle at No 5, is Brokeback Mountain.


'The top 10 was as follows:
1 Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1980)
2 Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg, 1994)
3 The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2007)
4 Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)
5 Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005)
6 Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore, 1990)
7 LA Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)
8 Fargo (Joel Coen, 1996)
9 Distant Voices, Still Lives (Terence Davies, 1989)
10 The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese, 1983)'


Finally, there was a tweet yesterday from someone attending the wrap party for Love and Other Drugs. Josh Gad, who appears in it, has also just tweeted that it has wrapped. After Nailed, I always feel a sense of relief when a Jake film actually finishes. We will probably enjoy this one a little less than a year from now. A good thought.

Includes pictures from IHJ.

7 comments:

BBMISwear said...

I'm so glad people who couldn't watch Tobey on Conan are able to see it on line as when I watched it early this morning I was blown away by the clip they showed! I was going to try to find the link on line and give it to all of you but of course WDW is one step ahead of me!!

I was really surprised the clip they chose for TV as it had to be bleeped out in so many places it was hard to hear what he was saying. But Tobey was quite intense through out and I really loved the way Jake slowly came around the corner, the look on his face and then the look on his face at the end when he lifted his hands slowly. Wow. I got so much out of those few seconds (I think I'm hooked)!!

I also am loving that promo clip - what a fantastic mood he was in the weekend he did all that stuff, huh?!

Brothers in in 48 hours or less for us on EST time...FINALLY!!!! (and not so long for you either WDW)!!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Awww...Thank you for that picture of Anne, Jake and Heath. Am I the only one who thinks of Charlie Chaplin when I look at Heath in this pic? There's something about the way he's standing there, with his hands in his pocket, his partially unbuttoned vest, large pants and feet in a V shape? All he's missing is a cane, a hat and a mustache. :D His old worn shoes still make me laugh every time I see them. :)

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there BBMISwear :-) I was so pleased that this clip was available in the UK to watch. I've never been much of a Tobey fan but this after Unscripted us really winning me over.

I love that promo clip! Jake was in such a good mood :D

Three days for me - if I can stay away after that flight! And then the runup to the release in the UK. Good times :D

My pleasure, Olympia! And it's definitely not just you. I always smile when I see this pic and I like to see Anne there too. Sigh :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow thats been put straight into my top 5 favourite clips! Hahahahahahahahhahahahaha :D :D :D

I wish Jake was doing more chat shows :(

The only ones in the UK are jonathon ross, alan carr (bleurgh), paul o' grady..and i suppose top gear could pass..i would love to see Jake drive the 'reasonbly priced car' :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post very much, WDW. I wasn't a huge Tobey fan before, but I've been very impressed with him and his quiet gentle way. I think the three of them are good together. Great "chemistry." I do think NAtalie Portman is rather young for her age. At least, she seems rather adolescent in some of these interviews. I do like her, tho. Jake is always a delight, reaching out to everyone and keep things lively and positive.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Mant to say. Out of the ten films listed, I have seen nine, so that was quite a good list!

Anonymous said...

I am always excited to see BBM still making lists. It was a wonderful movie, a special magical time for everyone involved in making the film (especially Heath and Jake)

I saw the Jimmy Kimmel interview. It was Jake's first time on the show (Jimmy is one of my fave talk shows) and he mentioned the merkin he wore (I didn't know the official name of the sock guys wear during sex scenes)

he put his 'junk' in there (as he said)

glad we got the official word that Love and other drugs wrapped. I wonder if he is going to do Source code next?
sweetpea