Monday 25 January 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal talks Brothers - 'I hope you don't mind but I get really animated!' And the PoP Giant 3D poster book! And more...

I'm glad to say that the release of Brothers has attracted some attention in Jim Sheridan's homeland. We've heard some bits and pieces from the press day in NYC and since then we've been given the odd Jake sentence, pulled out of nowhere. But the pieces come together and today we have more. Apart from some familiar quotes about working with the kids in prisons and about being mistaken for Tobey Maguire, but we get some fun preamble and the source for some of those lines that have been floating round the net. And keeping playful Jake company are signs of that earnest Jake who's been told he thinks too much. Here are some of the bits that are new to me. I do like the beginning...


'JG: “[Waving his hands around] Hi! I hope you don't mind but I get really animated!” Q: Not at all, go for it. And what was with your look? JG: “You mean in the movie, or in reality? Sorry, I have no concept of the difference between movies and reality!”'

'Q: Well, have you seen the movie? JG: “Yes, Twilight. God, I loved that movie! (Laughs) No, I was just saying that, because it's the thing of the moment! Yeah, I'm up on stuff. But what did you want to know?”'


'Q: What attracted you to Brothers? JG: “The director Jim Sheridan attracted me. He's made some of the most extraordinary movies, and gotten the most extraordinary performance out of actors - more than many of the directors working today. And his inherent trust in me, as an actor - six weeks to work with someone as extraordinary as him is like a godsend.”'


Q: So how did the theme of this film resonate with you? JG: “Which one? Sleeping with your brother's wife?!” Q: The brother thing. JG: “Wow...Well, I don't have a brother. Thank god! I do have a brother-in-law now, But that would be weird, because...anyway! Themes...I think that we all have a great ability to move towards our impulses. Anger, or violence. And I'll just speak for myself, I think inherently as a man, there are things that come up about what you want to do, and what you should do. But then to me, this movie is about forgiveness, ultimately. And about somebody who does something unbelievable. You know, to get back to the thing that they love. And to me, I just feel that's what life is all about. If you have something that you love and you care for, then I would hope that anyone would do anything to get back to that. No matter what. And the complications of what has to be done are unfathomable. Like it won't compute in any logical sense, of even storytelling. Because Tobey's character is put in a position where there is no right choice.”'


'Q: What do you feel about the war theme of Brothers and that this country is sending more soldiers to Afghanistan, even as we speak? JG: “Well do you want to talk about the movie, or do you want to talk about current politics? Because I hate hearing actors talk about politics! But if you want to hear me talk about politics, then we can have that discussion.” Q: Yes, I'd like to know how you feel. JG: “Well, to be honest - because I haven't been, before this moment! - to be clear, I would like to say that I think there's a tendency for journalists to want to corner a movie like this into a certain...corner! And in this movie, it's hard to separate the soldier, from the life that a soldier lives, you know? Like if you see a man in uniform, then the movie is about war, and the movie is about a man getting to get back to the things he loves, in my opinion. I've made movies about war. So I feel like I can say that. And I've answered many, many questions about that before, you know?“'


'Q: So you have finished wrapping on Prince of Persia - how difficult or gruelling a production was that for you? JG: “It wasn’t difficult at all.” Q: Really? Putting on all that weight and running around like crazy wasn’t gruelling? JG: “Well it was long - we shot for a long time. I guess putting on the weight for Persia was challenging. Doing all that physical activity and doing all that physical work to get into a part is a certain type of challenge but I had to do it and I did it.” Q: Is it going to be weird having little action figures of you out in the summer? JG: “It’s great, in fact it’s awesome! I can’t wait.”'

Source: Movies.ie. You can read their Jim Sheridan interview here.


This line is definintely one of my favourites: 'I think there's a tendency for journalists to want to corner a movie like this into a certain...corner!' And when Jake says it's awesome that thousands of kids (and certain bloggers) will be playing with mini Jakes this summer, you just know he means it. I also sense that after two movies in a row which have led to questions on war and politics, Jake'll be ready for Prince of Persia. Unless he is asked about the relative advantages of battle on horseback versus battling on an ostrich.

Talking of the Prince... Thanks to Silver for the heads up that Amazon.co.uk is now taking orders for the Prince of Persia Amazing 3D Never Seen Before Poster Book! It features a giant 3D poster and a collection of stickers. Giant.... 3D..... Jake. And all for £3.99. I knew those 3D Avatar glasses would come in handy.


Update: How about a jigsaw puzzle?


The PoP figures are now available to order from various outlets, including here in the US and Play.com in the UK.

And finally

A lovely picture of Maggie and Ramona enjoying an LA winter's day at the Melrose Flea Market in Hollywood yesterday (Sunday), as sightings continue of Jake around and about in Berkeley.


Includes pictures from IHJ and links.

14 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks to SIlver for the heads up for the news on the PoP poster book! I've preordered one. And such a fun interview too - love the mix of the fun and serious.

I hope everyone's had a good day :D

Uli said...

Hi again! No time to read the whole post now, but the beginning of the interview is already pretty cute... But just had to stop by and say how wonderful the third pic is!!! During the Brothers publicity there have been more lovely Jake pics than in a long time... Err, I wonder why... LOL...

Alright, back to work...

Anonymous said...

'I do have a brother-in-law now, But that would be weird, because...anyway!'

Jake is hilerious. :')

I really really want to see this interview on video!!

Anonymous said...

were you among the group of Brokies who gathered in London to see Brothers this weekend?

Thanks for the info

sweetpea

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jake was in some mood for that interview! :DDD

I agree with Uli on the third pic, very nice. :) And the pic of Maggie and Ramona is lovely, I can see a lot of Peter in Ramona.

Disney just keeps coming up with new POP marchandise, don't they? I wonder how big exactly is that "giant" poster. Can't wait till you receive it! I like the idea of a puzzle, I bet there are a lot of beautiful scenes in the movie they could use. Some bare chested Dastan scenes come to mind! :D

Olympia

paulh said...

My favorite part of the interview was this:

'JG: “[Waving his hands around] Hi! I hope you don't mind but I get really animated!” Q: Not at all, go for it. And what was with your look? JG: “You mean in the movie, or in reality? Sorry, I have no concept of the difference between movies and reality!”'

That last response by Jake is priceless! :-) I may want some tiny action figures, too, but you all need to keep it a secret, because pre-geezer guys like me aren't supposed to still be playing with dolls. ;-) But they look cool, and I plan to hide them when company comes calling. Not that I expect that to ever happen. :-(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi again Uli! Oh, how I love that picture - so sexy. Don't work too hard!

Hey 20:05! A vid would be great! Love to see Jake being animated like that. It sounds like this would have been a fun interview to see.

Hi Sweetpea :) No, a few of us went to see it elsewhere. Glad you liked the posts :D

Hey Olympia! I know, that pic is so lovely of Ramona and Maggie. And that sunshine... I'll be sure to let you know how giant the giant poster is - it is very cheap... I love the picture on the jigsaw and all those figures - lovely! I thought it might be hard to get them in the UK but clearly not!

Hey Paul! You and me both with the figures. Maybe I'll think of them as little sculptures, little works of art :D They're too irresistible not to get. Jake was in great form here.

For anyone who's interested, a new post at MB on Avatar and James Cameron's regret for Zoe Saldana.

BBMISwear said...

I'm so glad to finally get these bits of quotes in the interview they came from. Can't read it right now but just printed it to read later when I don't have people trying to talk to me...can't they see I'm busy?! LOL!! The opening got my attention right away...animated...yep, I used that word countless times when trying to describe what Jake was like when I met him. Animated for sure! And expressive. And funny. And charming. And gorgeous. And...oh...never mind. I just wanted to say that I agree that he is certainly very animated!!

My head is spinning with all the PoP stuff already coming our way! Seeing the UK Amazon link made me check out the US Amazon link and there is so much stuff to buy (I signed up for alert notices for when all is available so I can look at it all closer then). I was laughing at myself when I saw that some of the books are for readers aged 9-12. I'm buying books for readers 9-12?! I can't even say they're for my son as he's out of this reading bracket now!! Well the timing is great...Happy Mother's Day to me...ha ha!

As Uli said...back to work...but all this stuff is too much fun it's hard to focus! :-(

Back later to gawk some more. Thanks WDW for all the updates (and the adorable picture of Maggie and Ramona)!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey BBMISwear :-) Ooh love to hear you talk about what Jake was like when you met him - from what I've heard, Jake here definitely matches. I love the animation :D And the thinking out loud.

Fortunately, Mr WDW is used to me buying so many odd Jake things, he'll hardly bat an eyelid and no doubt will find bits and pieces for me! There's so much! And I want it all... Gulp. Catch you later :D

Anonymous said...

Ramona is getting so big - I can see both her parents in her. Maggie is fast becoming my favorite actress and one-to-watch fashion-wise. I loved her GG gown. I adored her in Crazy Heart and I want those turquoise earrings she was wearing.

In fairness to Jake, it must be hard being bombarded with questions all the time. I think he does very well - Lord only knows what I'd say if it were me. I love that he does yoga!

winterbird said...

Because I hate hearing actors talk about politics!

Jake is my man! I SO agree with him on this. I am so sick of actors talking (sh*t) like politics, trying to sound smart and worldly but actually more like an idiot! Also love the Twilight quip... Jake can be a riot if someone give him a good journalist :)

3D poster!!! I need to get another PoP poster!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all!

Hi Anon :D I loved Maggie's GG dress - she stood out. Just beautiful. I love how Jake deals with these questions, I think he enjoys it and plays with the interviewer. I love his flirty fun interviews :D

Morning Winterbird! Loved the Twilight thing. Again and again I must say that I want to see Nailed! I want to see Jake in a comedy!

Have a good day everyone :D

Anonymous said...

ME want 3D pop up BOOK!!!! But why must it be in pounds? :( I guess I would just have to wait til something like this comes out in US dollars... *sigh*

Oh and thank you very much for posting sites to purchase the action figures!!!

Unknown said...

Là một cửa hàng thương hiệu – an toàn. có nhiều năm kinh nghiệm trong các lĩnh vực tổn phí. Đa Minh Tân luôn đặt “Lời ích người sử dụng khi vay tiền lên hàng đầu”. Sau khoáng đãng năm phát triễn nghiên cứu giúp. thừa nhận diện được sự phiền phức cùng cách thức rượm rà khi vay tiền ngay hiện tại. bắt buộc Đa Minh Tân nêu ra phương pháp new mê say có khuynh hướng bắt đầu Vay tiền mặt – sở hữu tiền cấp tốc trong ngày.

1. phương thức vay đơn thuần nhất lúc này
nên làm giấy tờ ko nên giám định không ngăn nắp. bởi tài xế hoặc Hộ khẩu sẽ vay được tiền.
2. Thời gian giải ngân tiền mặt nhanh nhất hiện thời
ký thông qua đại dương sơ trong 15 – 30 phút. Giải ngân tiền bên sau 1/2 tiếng – cho 2h giả dụ khiến bản thảo trước 21H tối. chúng tôi cam kết giải quyết trong ngày. Ko để tồn sang hôm sau.
3. Vay toền online miễn sao chúng ta có mạng internet
mọi lúc các địa điểm. cẩn thận website. ảnh viện đang cùng với chuyên viên tham vấn nhiều năm kinh nghiệm trợ giúp chúng ta. chúng ta không luôn phải đi xa mong chờ. Chỉ nhu yếu nhấc máy cùng Gọi. sẽ vay được tiền.
4. chẳng phải tài sản đảm bảo, không phải minh chứng các khoản thu nhập
Chỉ tất yêu phương thức mộc mạc cũng như trên. chúng tôi không phải ai bảo lãnh khoản vay cho bạn. quan trọng vô cùng yên tâm chưa làm cho phiền tổ ấm bạn.

vay tien nhanh, vay tiền nhanh, vay tiền online, vay tien online, vay tien, vay tiền, vay tien, vay tín chấp, vay tin chap, vay tiền nhanh nhất, vay tien nhanh online, vay tiền nhanh online, vay tiền online nhanh, vvay tien online nhanh,
vay tien nhanh nhat,