Tuesday 26 January 2010

Brothers DVD out 23 March and Jordan Mechner on how cool it was to see Jake Gyllenhaal in costume

For all those people who despair that they may never be able to see Brothers on a big screen, thanks to a weird distribution strategy in some countries, the good news is that the DVD and Blu-ray already has a release date and it's not long away at all - 23 March. For those outside the US, time to ensure you have a multiregion player, if you haven't already (region doesn't matter for Blu-Ray).


'The DVD and Blu-ray disc contain numerous bonus materials that include two featurettes plus a director commentary'. Shame that there's no actors' commentary, but I know what will make up for that - several deleted showering scenes, a deleted love scene between Tommy and Grace and the 'Let's Teach Jake to Ice Skate' blooper real.


Jordan Mechner talks more Prince of Persia

We have more this week from the Prince of Persia junket held a few days ago. Here is another 20-minute interview with PoP creator Jordan Mechner (in which questions were given over the phone and read out to him). Jordan mostly covers the challenges of turning a game into a movie, how the Sands of Time game had all the ingredients to make a good film, and his involvement in the game, the movie and in the future of the franchise.



And in another interview from that day with Jordan: 'Q: In your mind, what are some of the key defining moments of Sands of Time? JMJ That would be the action scenes. Action remains a key part of the Prince of Persia series so we put in lots of amazing fighting stunts that the Prince can do in the game into the film, but at the same time (we) grounded it in realism. We wanted the movie to be ­totally believable and authentic; this is also why we shot so many scenes on location in Morocco and several other similar spots. The action sequences are simply ­stunning and I find it hard to believe that these are being done by real people.'


'Q: Can you think of any memorable moments during the filming of the movie? JM: One of the coolest moments for me was seeing Jake Gyllenhaal in costume as the prince — he looks so much like the character I created for the game. Then one time, Jake handed me the Dagger of Time after the cameras stopped rolling, and although it was just a prop, I ­imagined that it really could stop, reverse and slow down time like it can in the game. I felt like wielding the dagger to see if it would really work (laughs).'


Want to stand out by that red carpet?

It doesn't take a deep understanding of the sands of time to know that the Prince of Persia is getting nearer. Now may be the time you want to plan ahead for your outfit for opening day. I have some suggestions for you and yours. I'm looking forward to seeing which ones my PoP viewing companions will pick...






For more formal evening attire, may I suggest this?


I think it's probably safer to borrow one of these...


And finally...

Maggie and Peter were among the many stars who attended Radiohead's Haiti fundraising concert on Sunday night on Hollywood. How the boys have come on since I used to see them play in small clubs and pubs in our hometown.


Includes pictures from IHJ and from links.

18 comments:

BBMISwear said...

We got camels!! (Well, kinda).

I like the costumes...not sure about wearing one in May but I know we'll see a lot of Prince Dastans out and about come Halloween. Around here, people love to dress up as characters from big movies of that year. The Halloween that Dark Knight came out was a tough one. :-(

I can't wait for Brothers on DVD...I've been having Tommy withdrawals already...LOL! Bonus Features! I love Bonus Features! (This has been discussed already though). :-)

Loved the full interview you posted yesterday WDW, once I finally got to sit down and read it. He is so damn funny sometimes!

Have a good day all.

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there BBMISwear :-) I think that when you and your entire family go out wearing the PoP garb for Halloween, you'll want a camel. I must see where you can borrow onf from :D

I'm glad you liked yesterday's interview - it's a corker!

paulh said...

I love that picture of Peter and Maggie. Maggie seems so glowing and so happy right now, probably because of the good public reaction to "Crazy heart."

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me know when the DVD was due out. I have not seen the movie and was hoping it was going to be released soon.

Thanks
sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Peter and Maggie have so so much going for them, it's wonderful to see them. And peter gets his Santa Babs award this week :)

My pleasure, Sweetpea :) I hope you can see the DVD.

I hope everyone's having a good day. I'm neck resting!

Anonymous said...

I suppose this movie will definatley make Jake a household name now. To me, he is one already, but quite a lot of my friends have no clue who he is.. (yet!)

I'm definatley excited for the build-up..having become a 'fan-girl' in late 2007 Rendition had already been released, so Brothers has been the first movie ive seen him in on the cinema.

I was just wondering what movie in your oppinion got the most advertising/interviews/promotion etc. I'm guessing it was BBM?

Silver

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Silver! It's great to learn a little about your Jake history - thanks :D I remember there was a lot for BBM around awards time but I remember the Zodiac days when there was so much. Cannes was incredible. As were all the TV interviews Jake did (OMG remembering Conan with the cashmere and goats blood suit) but all this is nothing compared to what PoP will be like. So exciting!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Jordan is emphasizing the action sequences and reassuring gamers that they've remained true to the original concepts! Earlier comments by Bruckheimer were talking about the "romance." Not something that demographic gets excited about.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I totally agree with you, Anon! Jordan Mechner is one thing PoP really has going for it. I love the games and it's essential that the film captures the movement of the game and it's sheer exhileration. The romance is good but PoP is all about a lot more than that. I'm feeling confident that the film will keep to the spirit of the game and the game prince. But with that extra movie magic! Can't wait!

Carol said...

Love the costumes. The kids around my area will definitely be wearing some of them come Halloween.

A friend text me this morning about the US release date for the Brothers DVD. I never thought it would be out that soon. I've gotten several people to go see the movie since it's been out here and they've had lots of positive things to say about it especially about Tommy:)

It's great to see Maggie and Peter out and about. She is looking fab at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Pop is looking so good - I love the action, but I'm looking forward to a the romance as well. I'm having a Stella Artois as I write this, in honor of Jake. Cheers! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! Good for you for getting people out to see Brothers. I'm surprised the DVD is out so soon but I'm pleased as it means more people will see it pretty soon. I downloaded the soundtrack yesterday - I'm enjoying it.

Hi Anon! PoP will have a bit of everything for all of us! Great, isn't it?! Enjoy your Stella, I had one of those tonight too, cheers!

get real said...

Loving all the PoP news, especially Jordan Mechner's comments on Jake. :)


Hee, all the action figures, costumes, etc, etc!! :D


Thanks for all the Jake updates, pics, Brothers DVD (!!!) etc. All great stuff.

I have to read the full interview from yesterday too.

Nice to see Maggie and Peter out and about in LA. Would be great to see Jake with them at some point.

winterbird said...

It's weird to think of the Brothers DVD when I still want to see Tommy on a big screen! But then... who would say no to bringing Tommy home? :P

I've decided my favourite Tommy moment is the little non-wink he gave to Grace when she came down and saw Tommy painting the wall in her kitchen with her daughter. awww...

We need a Tommy-in-the-shower poster!

Morning!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Hi Get Real! It'd be so great to see Jake out with Maggie and Peter. I'm hoping they'll all be in Santa Barbara for Peter's presentation. That would be wonderful.

Morning Winterbird! OMG a Tommy in the shower poster would be... necessary :D It's amazing how fast some films come out on DVD. My favourite Tommy scene is the decorating one too but I rather like the moment when Tommy takes a phonecall lying on the bed :P

Hope everyone has a good day!

Anonymous said...

My favorite Tommy moments are all of them. The shower scene was gorgeous. I've got to watch again (I've already seen it twice!). He says so much with his facial expressions. PoP is now only a few months away.

All I can say is, my word is spediant. :)

BBMISwear said...

All this 'favorite Tommy scene' talk is escalating my withdrawals! And I can't just hop on a plane and head to the UK to see it again! *tries to patiently wait for March 23rd*

My favorite Tommy scene is sitting by the fire with Grace telling her about his meeting with the woman at the bank...you can see how much this character is trying to change and grow and how sweet he is. And talking about U2 and the look right before the kiss *THUD* I love the shower and the skating and...oh, forget it. I just plain love Tommy and now must wait 54 more days to see him again (not that I'm counting or anything)!

All of them attending SBFF would be great, WDW, but that's 2 1/2 weeks away...who knows where everyone will be committed to be at that point (except Peter of course). But if they are all there what a wonderful photo opp it will be (if there were smart enough people there to take some pictures)!

Have a good day. Hope your neck is better today WDW.

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Anon! OMG the shower scene - oh yes. I do think that all of Jake's scenes were the best bits. Although to be fair to Tobey his story wasn't exactly a laugh a minute... But Jake was adorable! Yes, roll on PoP!

Hi BBMISwear :-) Ooh how I wish you could hop on that plane... I'm missing Jake, that's for sure, although I'm sure he's enjoying leading a relatively private life again. I'd thought that Santa Babs was in January but it's not til the 12 Feb! But I hope that Jake, Peter and Maggie will be seen together for that. But I'd like to see him before then for sure! Sigh...

I love that scene in Brothers - so powerful and his face when he realises what he's done.

Thanks! It's getting better :)