Sunday 3 January 2010

MMX - Otherwise to be known as The Year of Jake Gyllenhaal

After my end of the year look back at the decade of great movies that Jake Gyllenhaal gave to us wrapped in a big red bow, I thought I'd cheer myself up at the prospect of returning to work (through snow and ice) by having a think about what goodies we have in store for us in 2010. My chocolate supplies are gravely depleted after yesterday's post and so I am relying on Jake alone to provide the Anti-Work Antidote.


Brothers may be leaving the American theatre screens (possibly because Avatar needs them all) but it has yet to arrive on this side of the pond. After what seems like an interminable wait, even to me who's seen it, Brothers is almost here. And nothing clears away those winter blues like a new Jake movie. Before that we have the promise, on 13 January, of Jake Gyllenhaal flexing his ping pong muscles. Should one stand back for safety reasons or just be brave and stand a few feet away within optimum eye-fluttering range? No doubt Jake is practising as we speak.


March will see Jake renewing his old acquaintance with Montreal and hopefully many sightings and photographs will ensue. May the baristas of Starbucks be put on high alert and each issued with a camera and cable.


I used to love May as the month in which the leaves return to the trees and all things luxuriate in the rebirth of green. Not this year - this year I'm leaping headlong into the desert world of sand, silks, oases, fountains, ostriches, minarets and long hair with beads in it. In May we meet Prince Dastan accompanied, one hopes, by lego, books, accessories, red carpets, TV interviews and a whole lot of fun, not to mention an English accent. Who needs a World Cup when you have the Prince of Persia to watch for a good month? England will no doubt win and I won't even notice.


May is also Cannes month and that may mean the rebirth of Nailed. Let us hope that the distributors are sharpening their chequebooks and pens as we speak and may they grant us a DVD release at least. Nailed may get a piggyback ride from a certain Persian prince. We'll get Brothers out on DVD around this time too. With extras, lots of deleted shower scenes. And deleted bonking. I didn't say that, someone else said that.


During the summer Jake will embark on his next project. Hopefully, Doug Liman will at last get his way and take Jake to the moon to colonise it. Fingers crossed for this one.


In November the year is crowned when, at last, we may get a glimpse of the famous merkin and we can move into the theatres for the near nakedness of Jake and Anne Hathaway. Pittsburgh enjoyed having Jake in its midst but not nearly as much as we will enjoy the fruits. I'm thinking this film could have a good soundtrack too. It will certainly be fun.


Christmas will be upon us before we know it after a full year of Jake and, along with the lego ostrich race set and books, we will also unwrap a 2 disc special edition DVD of the Prince of Persia, complete with commentaries, making of videos, postcards and a whole load of Jake. And maybe a little Gemma too.


I'm also counting on at least a little spandex at regular intervals throughout 2010. Is that ok, Jake?


Includes pictures from IHJ.

8 comments:

Carol said...

Thanks for providing the anti-work dote this evening WDW. I was back for a few days last week but it is still torture facing back into it tomorrow:(

2010 is going to be a busy year. Can't wait for Brothers to be released here.

I finally saw Avatar today but more importantly I saw the first proper Prince of Persia display at my local cinema. It was hidden behind a ticketing machine so I almost missed it. I was really pleased to see it as I hadn't been expecting it to appear yet. Unfortunately I couldn't take a pic of it as I didn't have my camera to hand.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! Oh the Return to Work Blues... :( Thank heavens for Jake. A big change this year from the Jake prospects of 2009. How exciting to see the display! I was really hoping to see the trailr in front of Sherlocck Holmes as they had Clash of the Titans and Robin Hood but no. But the countdown is on.

Have a good evening everyone :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! First day back and it's so icey and freezing out there that it's a whiteout...

Good luck to everyone on this back to work day :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post, WDW!!!
2010 indeed looks like full of promises, Gyllen-wise :)
And I want to see those deleted shower scenes from Brothers too, when it's out on DVD!!
(never enough deleted scenes, on Jake movie DVDs, never enough *sigh*)

Hugs
Paola

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Paola :D And yes, never enough deleted shower scenes - gulp. Duncan Jones please take note!

Anonymous said...

So 2010 will be the year of Jake

POP, Brothers on DVD, LAOD and POP on DVD at Xmas! WOW

thanks for all the info

sweetpea

Anonymous said...

Where did you find out about when the DVD for brothers and POP would be released? I can't find that info. And it is a sure thing that Doug Liman's movie will be shot in the summer? (I wonder where the will be filmed)

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It's pure speculation and just what is likely with the DVDs, Sweetpea :) And as I say in the post it's wishful thinking and crossed fingers for Liman's Moon. The DVDs are more sure.