Tuesday 23 March 2010

Brothers DVD out today! And a first verdict on PoP - we have love chemistry, wiggling ostriches, fridge magnets

It's 23 March and that can mean only one thing: Jake Gyllenhaal has the perfect gift for his Source Code co-star Michelle Monaghan who celebrates her birthday today - the Brothers DVD, now in your shops! Or, if you're not in America, available to order from a bunch of places. If you prefer to wait for the R2 version, that is out on 7 June. However, it's worth pointing out you may be in the cinema on that day...


To mark the occasion, I Heart Jake and Lionsgate Home Entertainment are running a competition in which two people - from anywhere on the planet with a multi-region player - can each win a Brothers DVD. Visit IHJ for details and good luck.

As for The Other Film, we've had some more details from the top secret ShoWest screening of Prince of Persia in Vegas last week. It's very spoilery and so I will quote very little but you can read the full account at IGN and it's a goodie.


Here's a non-spoilery description of one scene: 'The scene is overrun with special effects -- high-flying acrobatics off walls, swordplay of all kinds, cinematic bow & arrow near-misses, fires, explosions and more. It's fairly epic and well-choreographed. It's clear from the start that the movie comes from Disney and director Mike Newell (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), not Uwe Boll.'


The love interest: 'Dastan believes Tamina is a pampered princess who has never suffered a day in her life and she thinks he's a corrupted brute who lacks proper morales. Their on-screen chemistry works. Indeed, the admittedly predictable hate-turn-love story is just as interesting as some of the awe-inspiring special effects scenes because the chemistry is so tangible.'


Ostrich racing: 'Comic relief is supplied by the always-reliable Alfred Molina [see below] (Spider-Man 2), who plays a money-hungry tradesman whose first love is ostrich-racing. And yeah, you even get to see some dudes riding atop wiggling ostriches as they race awkwardly over dirt roads.'


Verdict: 'The action is big. The effects bigger. And the storyline just interesting enough to keep you watching. Gyllenhaal -- probably not anybody's first choice for the Prince of Persia; although, to be fair, he's a hard character to cast -- serves the role just fine. And Arterton has sex appeal to spare. This movie will surely be compared to Pirates of the Caribbean series and it shares much in common. Perhaps the only thing missing is the equivalent of Captain Jack Sparrow -- Johnny Depp's ludicrous, but unforgettable antihero. By comparison, Dastan and Tamina are straighter and side-players like Kingsley and Molina unremarkable. But the movie is well-produced and sparkling with polish from beginning to end, and we doubt any potential shortcomings will stop moviegoers from seeing it and doing their part in adding another notch to Bruckheimer's already-considerable blockbuster belt.'


Actually, referring to the verdict above, Jake Gyllenhaal was somebody's first choice for the role - Mike Newell's. (And also mine, but I don't think I pull as much weight with Jerry Bruckheimer.)

In other Prince of Persia news, we have fridge magnets - oh yes we do...


Wanted to finish today with a lovely picture from last weekend when NYC wallowed in a taster of spring.


Includes pictures from links and here and the coolest website in the world. Thanks to Monica for additional ostriches. Happy birthday Michelle!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

The love interest: 'Dastan believes Tamina is a pampered princess who has never suffered a day in her life and she thinks he's a corrupted brute who lacks proper morales.

Should be interesting! I love the sands too. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi 18:19! Sounds great to me too!! Don't want any kind of proper morals getting in the way here... I love the sands :)

TD said...

Proper morals? ovout, ovout! (that's my word!:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TD! I love the descriptions of Dastan and Tamina :D It looks like their relatiopnship is at the heart of this film and it's what I want to see most. That and lots of leaping...

Anonymous said...

wonderful pics. Where can you get those kitchen magnets?

Like any movie there are always going to be those who LOVE IT and those who are going to tear it apart. I don't listen to critics. If I want to see a movie I just GO. many a critic has been VERY WRONG. and I want to get a proper introduction to the prince

thanks WDW

sweetpea

Anonymous said...

"the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, an action-adventure that makes Pirates of the Caribbean look lethargic"

Hmm..is this a good thing though?

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/107/1079109p1.html

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sweetpea, the fridge magnets are from lego, just follow the link.

Err Anon - that's the feature and link in the post?! Also that quote isn't in the IGN article that I can see? But yeah, I'd say that's a good thing - better than the opposite!

Watching Sherlock and eating chocolate :D

Anonymous said...

Does Ramona look like Peter or what?!

gyllenhaalisgr8 said...

I have never so looked forward to a movie before. My Jakey is the reason. :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi 20:31! Oh she so does! I see something of Maggie in her smile but she just reminds me so much of Peter. And doesn't she look like she wants to dance? :D

Hey there E! What a lovely comment - I've got to say that I agree with you, with LAOD and Source Code just millimetres behind :D After Brothers and Rendition, wonderful as they were, I am very ready for the three we have coming :D (And maybe four - Nailed?)

gyllenhaalisgr8 said...

I was anonymous until I logged in. I am Elizabeth from gyllenhaalisgr8. :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Elizabeth! I am so glad that you posted and that you're not anonymous anymore! Welcome :D

And I love your facebook group :D Do keep posting with your name, it's so nice to get to know people here :)

Monica said...

I'm jealous! Brothers is in theaters in several cities in Brazil, but not in my city!

Ramona is a beautiful girl and Maggie is a great mother.thanks!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! I'm sorry it's not showing near you. I know it's the same in parts of Europe. I hope you can get hold of the DVD.

Thank you for the ostriches *)

Carol said...

Went into the shop this evening after an absolutely horrific day at work and first thing I saw was the new Empire and my Brothers DVD arrived also so all's right with the world again:)

I love those fridge magnets!!! I am really looking forward to PoP now and it is all down to Jake. I doubt I would even be paying attention to this movie if somebody else was starring. I can't wait to see himself and Gemma together. I think she is so much fun and the chemistry between them looks good from what we've seen so far:)

It always makes me smile to see Maggie and Ramona. I agree WDW she really reminds me of Peter everytime I see her too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Carol! That is good news indeed :D My sticker book is in the post - I'm hoping I'll get it tomorrow (much more exciting than today's car tax disc :D). I'm so excited at seeing Jake and Gemma together, I really am. And it's not too long now! I love to see them too :D I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad day. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is better *)

Gyllenhaalics said...

In the film, he will participate in an ostrich race without a shirt?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello Jake :D I would have thought you would know (chuckle!) but I'm afraid to say that I fear the ostrich racing may be something that Lego Jake does more than Real Jake. But Jake did say that he had to get into the compound with them. Some maybe? I can hope!

Anonymous said...

Sorry WDW i posted the wrong link. :S There was just a small comment on this website.

http://www.moviecitynews.com/columnists/dretzka/2010/100322.html

My names Em by the way, i post here quite often under anon, but aswell give myself a name ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Em! This makes me so happy - seriously! Thank you for giving a name and please do use this name next time you post (please post again :D). I can't tell you how nice it is to get comments from people that I can identify, and not just anonymous anons.

Now when you post, I'll remember who you are :D

Thanks for the new link!

paulh said...

Alfred Molina wasn't just in "Spiderman 2." He was also in "An Education."

I think I let this site slip by me for the last few days. So many other things to focus on.

The river invaded the trailer park last week, then gradually withdrew from it, and now the rain is coming hard again. If we just get the one day of rain, we should be okay...

I am looking forward to some good Jake Gylenhaal movies this Spring and Summer. For come reason, I had no desire to see "Rendition" and "Brothers" more than once. I notice, though, that our library copy of "Rendition" goes out a lot. I don't know about "Zodiac," though I watched that several times and even bought the soundtrack. Say what you will about David Fincher, but his movies are fascinating and compelling. Anything but boring.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Paul, I really hope this rain eases off with you. I experienced something similar a couple of years ago and I live on a ground floor flat. It's horrible.

I'm looking forward to Jake's new movies too :) I have to agree that Brothers and, to a lesser degree, Rendition are Jake's films that I will probably watch again the least. There's this weird thing with Jake's films - I love him in some movies more than I love the movies themselves, and that is true of both of these.

But Zodiac remains my favourite film even though I prefer Jake in BBM! I love David Fincher - his films are incredible and amazing.

I can't wait for PoP - I think I'm going to enjoy every mopment of Jake's screen time!

gyllenhaalisgr8 said...

gyllenhaalisgr8 is E (Elizabeth), not Em, in case there is a confusion.

theater manager when WDW go sees POP said...

I think I'm going to enjoy every mopment of Jake's screen time!

Cleanup on row 15!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all!

Back at work but feeling yuck :(

Hope everyone has a good day!