Friday 26 March 2010

Kung fu expert Jake Gyllenhaal talks PoP stunts and goofs, and some hints from SC Stunt Day

Are you up to anything exciting today? I know Jake Gyllenhaal is... Director Duncan Jones has just tweeted that Jake's spending the day jumping out of a moving train for Stunt Day on the Source Code set in Montreal. Puts my trip out to the shop to buy a Cadburys Flake Easter Egg into perspective. One must also hope that when Jake is jumping out of a moving train, he has a comfy landing...


We know that Jake enjoys all this high action stuff, not least because he says so in a new interview out today to publicise Prince of Persia. 'I wanted to do everything' he says. We also learn that his armour had to be adapted to make way for those spectacular shoulder and arm muscles. This was during the filming of a famous PoP game move - the Climbing Up the Wall on Arrows move.


'“I look pretty cool doing that,” says the soft-spoken Californian actor when interviewed in Santa Monica. “But what you don’t know is the behind-the-scenes goofs. My arm and shoulder muscles were so big that the chest plate I wore prevented me from reaching up to grab the arrows,” he says. “There were many funny takes of me doing that and in the end, they literally had to cut wider arm holes in the chest plate,” he says with a laugh.'


Time to insert a plea to Disney to please include these behind-the-scenes goofs on their five-disc Prince of Persia Director's Gyllenhaalic Special DVD.


'“I’ve always loved watching action-adventure films and dreamt of being one of those characters as a kid. You know, like Indiana Jones and the cool, swashbuckling Errol Flynn flicks,” he says. “When I read Prince, I saw a clear role for me. This guy is wry, gets to do lots of fun stuff and best of all, is ‘bad’ and funny,” says the 29-year-old actor, who was once considered for the roles of Spiderman and Batman. Gyllenhaal now has his own action figure line. “Yeah, it’s crazy,” he says, with a laugh. “It’s interesting to note that although the film is inspired by the popular video game of the 1980s, the platform game itself was inspired by action films like Raiders Of The Lost Ark.”'


'Looking casual in a pair of black jeans, sneakers and a Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop T-shirt [sound familiar?], the six-footer looks fit as a fiddle. “I’m a physical person by nature, I love being active,” says Gyllenhaal, who is an avid cyclist and kung fu exponent. For the film he learned parkour, which sees the environment as a jungle gym obstacle course. It was founded by David Belle. “The role was incredibly acrobatic,” says Gyllenhaal... “There is a scene where my character runs along a wall, which seems impossible, but Belle made it happen. It’s one of my favourite scenes from the film,” says Gyllenhaal of the film which was shot in Morocco and at Pinewood Studios in Britain.' [I wonder if Jake means this scene below]


'He says he does many of the stunts himself, including a 10.6-metre jump with wire work. “I wanted to do everything,” he says. “Why sign up for a film like this if you’re not game for some real action?”' Source.

Absolutely. But Kung Fu??? And all this time we thought he was doing yoga...

I think it won't hurt to repeat this:



And finally...

Several tweets also put Jake at Montreal's Velvet club last night - sounds like a cool place.


Pictures with thanks from IHJ.

27 comments:

get real said...

Love being so sppiled with Gyllennews!! :D :D :D

And again...SWOON....at Jake's answer to the second Facebook question.

PoP is really gearing up, LAOD news is fantastic and SC goodies are wonderful!

I know I am not adding much to the discussion but I had to comment. :p

Also, Maggie and Ramona are adorable. It was like summer in NYC last weekend. And her and Emma Thompson are very sweet at their Lodon premiere.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! Glad to see you. I know that video is.... well, I have no words :D Your weather looked great last week. It's warmer here too now but we're getting big thunder round me. Have a good weekend!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

New MovieBrit post for anyone interested on I Love You Phillip Morris - and Ewan McGregor - or do I?

Anonymous said...

I love actors who like to get their hands dirty. I bet this is the most fun Jake has had on a shoot (kinda like what Heath said when he did TDK)

5 disc DVD with Specials huh WDW? from your lips to the PTB's ears. I hope we get to see all the outtakes, bloopers, etc from POP.

He's gone from jumping all over persia to jumping off trains, not a bad gig if you can get it. Hey I'd be glad to break Jake's fall :D

I'll hold the mattress he can land on.

sweetpea

Anonymous said...

Exciting times!

From yesterday's post - the pigs are adorable. Maggie looks so glam. I'll have to check out your I Love You, Phillip Morris review, WDW! I certainly love Ewan's attitude about making this film. :)

Bertie

paulh said...

Maybe Jake does a blended version of yoga and kung fu. ;-) In any event, this just strengthens my point that Jake is very well equipped to handle just about anything that comes along.

I can tell that there will be some very happy moments in movie theaters this Spring and Summer. :-)

Anonymous said...

how can see the pictures from twitter ? Only register, I suppose ? Wonderfull Jake and wonderfull blogg too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I bet he had a lot of fun, Sweetpea :)

Hey there Bertie! I loved the pigs too - I'm looking forward to seeing this film soon. And I see Ewan McGregor is in it too :D Good to see you at MB :) I fear I'm very opinionated there... ahem...

Hi Paul! Maybe Jake should start a new class - I'd certainly sign up. Two months to go... (not that I'm counting) :D

Thanks 19:58! There aren't any pictures from twitter I'm afraid. You don't need an account there to search but you do need one to look at some things. But no pictures sadly :)

Security said...

I'll hold the mattress he can land on.

Ha. Hold it and drag it away with Jake entrapped on it you mean. We got your number sister.

CNN.COM BREAKING NEWS said...

Source Code filming today was postponed due to a massive screaming match between members of the special effects stunt unit which escalated to a physical confrontation on the set and an emergency moratorium by the Stunt Union. Apparently the Source Code stunt team had decided ahead of time that the best way to break the fall of actor Jake Gyllenhaal was for one stunt person to be stationed on the mattress on which he was landing. However, the heated controversy involved whether the stunt person should be positioned on their back with their legs up in the air and spread so as to catch and hold him, or if assuming a hands-and-knees position, thereby causing Mr. Gyllenhaal to land on the stunt person's back, would cushion the fall better. This argument regarding the differing techniques is so huge that it has the potential to reverberate throughout Hollywood. We will keep you updated on this vital breaking news story as soon as a decision by the Stunt Union has been made.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Like that... :D Even though for a minute I thought we had another Nailed situation! Glad to hear that the stunt team know what's what :D

Is it ever going to stop raining? eh?

sheba said...

That doesn't sound like real news to me. This could be very facetious >:o(

Not impressed!

BTW my word is focyaur

Monica said...

This interview is so great. So good to know how Jake had fun during the filming of POP.

Kung fu expert? Would love to have some kung fu lessons with Jake.

Anonymous said...

LOL about your word Sheba.

Monica said...

Maggie was so beautiful! thanks.

I loved the quote from Jim Sheridan about Jake to become a director. I thought this possibility once.
Not only as director, but as a screenwriter too.

Your text about Phillip Morris contains spoiler?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all!

Hi Sheba :) It's not a real news report just someone playing with the mattress comment. Good word!

Hey Monica! I'm glad you liked the posts. I would love to see Jake do Kung Fu! Desperately :D maggie looked beautiful.

Off out for brekkie. Have a good day everyone!

Atticus said...

So let's talk about my gorgeous rump.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Atti :D

Hey Monica, sorry that I neglected to answer your question. The Phillip Morris thing is as little spoilery as I could make it. There is one thing in it but I saw that as part of the advertising for it. I hope you can see the film - it's well worth it :D

I hope everyone's having a good day - I wish it would brighten up a bit...

ooh, my word is garlik.

Anonymous said...

Wanted to mention how gorgeous Jake's shoulder blade and top of shoulder is in that third pic - *swoons*.

Bertie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bertie! I know, that pic seemed the perfect illustration of Jake's magnificent shoulder muscles! *swoon*

freetraveller said...

Another great post, WDW. Thank you :)
It seems that Jake's muscles for PoP got even bigger than for Jarhead, methinks... :)

He's so sweet and adorable answering question#2 in that Facebook video, especially the bit "it was so big... and so fun"...

*swoon*

Hope you're feeling better today, WDW :)

Cheers
Paola

Monica said...

thanks, wet dark!
I read later about Phillipe Morris and my Ewan McGregor!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone! Sorry for not being around - been off but back now for a lazy Jaking afternoon :D And the clocks have gone forward so that's muddled me...

Hi Paola! Thanks, I'm much better now :D Jake looks so gorgeous in the video - he just looked even more perfect than normal on that day. Wonderful. I wonder how many more there'll be.

Hey Monica! I know how much you love your Ewan :D

Have a very nice Sunday, everyone :)

paulh said...

I saw "How to train your dragon" last night. I haven't found any Jake links yet, but I found a link to the "Prince of Persia" video game: Robin Atkin Downes, who provides the voice for "Ack," did the voice for the "Prince of Persia: warrior within" video game in 2004. The movie is a lot of fun!

The night before that, I saw "Secret of Kells," which had no Jakes links at all, sadly. It's beautiful to look at, though, just as Jake is. ;-)

The night before that, I saw "Diary of a wimpy kid." despite the huge cast and the vast experience (in American movies) of the actors, I found no Jake links. However, there was one link to Heath Ledger: Peter New, who played a paramedic in "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus."

[Note: I would have thought that the huge cast of young men in "Jarhead" would have ensured Jake links in almost every movie that comes out, but this has not happened.)

:-(

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you have read these WDW but i just came across them and they're brilliant!

So excited fot this movie now! :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758752/usercomments

"This is absolutely, hands down the best role Jake Gyllenhal has ever played." :D

Silver

unrecognizable icon said...

paulh linking any movie actor to Jake (or anyone else) is easy. Try Beth Grant who was in Donnie Darko and who has been in almost every movie and TV show with almost everybody!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Your comment reminded me it was time I did a Jarhead post :D Thanks for telling us about the movies. I'm hoping to see Nanny McPhee this weekend - quite a big Jake connection there... :D

Hi Silver! Thanks for the link - put some bits and pieces in the new post - great to read all this!

She does seem to keep popping up, Unrecognisable Icon!