Monday 29 March 2010

When the character fits - shaping Jake Gyllenhaal

Call it feminine intuition if you like, but I detect that Jake Gyllenhaal may have got rather muscular for Prince of Persia. It's become a talking point for PoP - for Brokeback Mountain the famous question was 'What's it like to kiss a guy?', for Brothers it was 'Have you ever been mistaken for Spider-man?' and now for Prince of Persia it's 'How did you get so buff?'. Going off on a tangent, I suppose the question for Zodiac was 'Would they have caught him if they'd had mobile phones?' and for Rendition 'Is torture ever a good thing?' For Source Code it could be 'Did you ever suffer from deja vu?' I can only imagine what it'll be for Love and Other Drugs.


So, to get back on track... Jake's five pounds of muscle have attracted some attention in the media, both as an object of delight and as a demonstration that you too can get huge muscles if you work out for five hours everyday and eat nothing but tuna. Jake's ability to build on the weight and then shed it as required - something he has done twice now - surely earns Jake the right to make a bestselling Christmas DVD. In the meantime, Jake must make do with being marvelled at as the Prince of Persia excitement grows.

Today Men's Fitness Magazine picked Jake as one of its 25 fittest 25 male celebrities. Previously, Empire has contrasted Jake the cartoonist with Jake the all-leaping videogame Prince. A trifle unfair perhaps, especially as David Fincher stood over Jake's arms with a tape measure to ensure that each lost every single one of the ten pounds that Jake wore so well in Jarhead:


Orange County Register asked: 'Where's buff Jake? JAKE GYLLENHAAL: Buff Jake's gone. Fincher told me I had to lose 10 pounds on each arm because I'm playing a cartoonist. OCR: How sad. GYLLENHAAL: Yeah, it was emasculating. I really enjoyed being buff. OCR: How do you get un-buff? GYLLENHAAL: Have two movies come out in less than a month, and you'll lose the weight out of sheer excitement and sitting in hotel rooms talking endlessly about them. OCR: And I imagine you stopped lifting? GYLLENHAAL: I stopped lifting weights and started running a lot.'


And to the question about what Indie Jake told his friends about why he had had done The Day After Tomorrow (as if thinness equals cerebral and muscly arms equals special effects): 'I told them that I think Robert De Niro is a genius in "Raging Bull," but I also think Will Smith is a genius in "Independence Day." Good acting is good acting; it doesn't matter what kind of a movie it is. A movie that makes a lot of money can be as rewarding as a movie that doesn't make any money.' More from this interview here.

IHJ has just posted some wonderful pictures from a Robert Graysmith character photoshoot for Zodiac and they do indeed highlight the contrast between this Jake and the aggressive and powerful Swoff and the dashing and leaping Prince who has to have extra arm room cut out of his armour.


One reason for Jake choosing to switch movie types to make Prince of Persia was that it gave him the chance to test new muscles and not just the one in his head: '"I'd come off a lot of films that were very character driven and I had exercised all those muscles, it was time to try something else. It's so much fun to just run around and fight. It's like what I always dreamed of doing when I thought about being an actor as a little kid. And then I made all these movies where I was like... I mean, I like all the stories I made, but I've always wanted to do this. It's a legitimate action movie!"'


'The 'Brokeback Mountain' star spent six months in the gym training for the part but said he wasn't just doing it to "look good". He told Empire magazine: "How did I get so big? In order to be a warrior fighting in all these scenes and to actually fight with these people and have legitimate fun in the movie, it required six months of pretty heavy training, as if I were fighting, as if I were running on walls, as if I were jumping up and down and grabbing things. I mean, it was really fun stuff."'

Jake has demonstrated that he is able to transform himself completely for a role, way beyond simply gaining/losing muscle and weight. The lean fitness of Douglas Freeman became the dominating power and bulk of Tommy Cahill, which, in turn, was strengthened and trained into Dastan. Despite Jake's claims that he would soon be fat and happy, there has been little sign of that, with Jake quickly becoming again the fit and slender Jake that we are familiar with and who will be seen on screen in Love and Other Drugs and Source Code. Damn Yankees, if that is next, may require another adaptation. But for Jake this is all part of the discipline of making a new character fit like a fine suit.


And finally...

Richard Coyle plays Jake's older brother Tus in Prince of Persia and HeyUGuys asked him about the film at the Jameson Empire Awards afterparty last night: 'Richard Coyle (The Libertine, Coupling) shared his sentiments telling us how happy he was at Ian McKellen’s win. We also had a chance to talk to him about his recent experience on The Prince of Persia. He confided that the contrast between the “tough, tough, desert shoot” and the “impressive final product” was “amazing”. He had only recently seen the finished film and was blown away by how good it was and “proud, very proud” of his work on the film.'

WDW Interlude

Totally offtopic, I went out for a constitutional today and ended up going back into the mists of time...




Doctor Parnassus is out on DVD in the UK today.

Pictures with thanks from IHJ, Empire and here and WDW.

20 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Apologies for the late posting, entirely due to Blogger being very bad indeed - it's still on the naughty step. I hope everyone's having a good Monday - countdown to the Easter break is on!

Carol said...

Stuck at work at the moment waiting on colleagues so thanks for brightening up my evening with some great pics WDW:)

The thought of my Dr Parnassus DVD waiting for me at home is keeping me going!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Carol - that is rotten you're still at work! :( I'm glad you have such a good thing waiting for you at home. And you're looking good! Great neew pic :)

Carol said...

It is rotten especially when it's unexpected like this evening:(

I love my new pic. I can't wait to get my hands on that GQ photoshoot when it comes out!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It's a fabulous pic :D I think though that this could be a different photoshoot as the hair is longer - a lot of goodies on the way :) I hope you get home very soon - as it's late!

Anonymous said...

I can't remember what interview this is from but it's in his imdb quotes: It's very important for me to be in movies that don't have a message. Messages tend to be a little preachy, and I don't think that's what movies are about. It's important for me to be in movies that have a human level, have a heart in them.

[Jake on TDAT]I love those kind of movies. It was fun. But I also think it was political. I see something political in every movie I do.

So he sees somthing political in every movie he does but doesn't want to be preachy. He still wants them to have heart. At first i thought these two statements contradicted eachother, but i think Jakes right, especially in Brothers, there is an ovbious political element but it is mainly a film based on human emotions.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I totally agree with you 22:17 :D In every story that deals with relationships or experiences there will be politics on one level or not. And often the political element can be realised without the preachiness Jake mentions. Life is political. Politics influences all our decisions.

I think the only contradiction for Jake with this is in some of his interviews for Rendition when, untypically for him I thought, he dwelt very much on the overt political message of the film and of his character's position in it. I think it would have been almost impossible to have done otherwise considering the subject. But nature as it is, there will always be contradictions.

As you say, in Brothers, the politics of the war was secondary to the family, even though war and separation obviously impacts on relationships.

Thanks for the very interesting comment :)

paulh said...

Those are beautiful pictures. The blue of Jake's shirt, and the gray of his sportcoat bring out something noble in his face. The hair is beautifully combed.

If Jake does "Damn Yankees," he will be playing a baseball player. The muscular physique will be back.

Monica said...

I can only imagine what it'll be for Love and Other Drugs.

Merkins!

Great post, wet dark. I love to read some old interviews of Jake.

Yesterday saw 500 days of Summer. Great movie.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Beautiful pictures, Paul, of one of my very favourite Jake characters :D Big thanks to IHJ for posting those, that's for sure. Oh yes, the muscles will be back for Damn Yankees if that happens.

Hi Monica! Yep, it could well be a question to do with merkins - or bare flesh! I'm so glad you liked the post :D I musrt see this film...

shoe89 said...

found this on twitter.com
Jake Gyllenhaal and Kirsten Dunst were spotted having supper at APDC Cabane a Sucre in MTL... check out the site for deets

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Shoe :D I think that's another report of the same sighting from a couple of weeks ago - we got muddled here due to the restaurants with similar names :D

BBMISwear said...

Great post WDW! I love Zodiac Jake...I've always thought that character is so damn cute!

It really is amazing the variety of characters, personalities, physiques, etc. we get from all of Jake's movies. I am so looking forward to the LAOD questions - whoowhee!!

Awwww, Dr. P on DVD...it will be here soon but not yet. I couldn't get myself to go see it in the theater...I tried but was too emotional every time I tried so decided at home would be best. *heavy sigh*

Great stuff coming at us daily and more great stuff to come...what a year it is turning out to be!!

:-)

BBMISwear said...

Oh...forgot to mention that I loved that you mentioned this, WDW, especially the part about "and who knows where in the future"!! WDW SAID: "I must go back to something BBMISwear said earlier here, about how Jake's words reflected her own feelings/drive in going for it, to meet Jake. I know that feeling - it took me to Toronto, Cannes and Rome and who knows where else in the future." It's a unique thing that happens when a certain something pushes you to do something that may not be the easiest, cheapest, most convenient thing to do...but then it all comes together and you know it was the right thing to do after all! I love that there will be more of these types of things in the future!

Okay...I'll really stop posting now! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks WDW, I have always thought one of Jake's most handsome roles was Robert Graysmith. :)

Anonymous said...

And where did you get the dinosaur footprint pics? :)

Anonymous said...

I know those pics are from Zodiac. But he looks like Jack Twist. CUTE!

Jake is always ready to do what he has to do for a part. I am looking forward to the muscles of the Prince

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning all!

Hi there BBMISwear :-) oh you know how I love Robert Graysmith - sigh...

Love what you say about everything coming together, even when it seems like there are so many hurdles in the way but then you know it was absolutely the right thing to do. Jake gives me that drive too - by the truckload :)

me too, Anon :D The dinosaur prints are outside the Natural history Museum in Oxford - they're casts of footprints from a whole bed of them that are in a quarry, just outside Oxford. I love dinosaurs (I know Jake didn't care for them at college but I hope he's over that now!)

He looks great Sweetpea :)

Have a good day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great posts of the last week, WDW. All the great reviews about LAOD make me want to see it even more. Seems like Jake got a lot of use for his merkin. :D

I saw How to Train your Dragon yesterday and I kept thinking Jake would have been a great voice for the main character; the boy was funny and a little quirky. I'd really like to see Jake do a voice in a good cartoon like that. It was a fun movie and the 3D was very well made.

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Olympia! I hope work's easing off a bit. Oh yes... never enough merkin... :D I really want to see that film - so many films I want to see at the moment and I feel like I'm missing all of them for one reason or another! I do agree about Jake's voice. He'd be great doing one of the voices for a film like this and I bet one of these days he will.

What a horrible day out there - I hope it's better for you all :)