Sunday 6 June 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal talks PoP, Phineas and Ferb and... oh yes, he sings from Flashdance

*** Brothers is out on DVD in the UK today (7 June)! ***
One could be forgiven for thinking things would be calming down in Gyllendom but that is not the case. And while I sit here watching one of the movies that inspired Jake Gyllenhaal, the Goonies (the bats are definitely fake, by the way), time to present more videos and interviews. More from Jake's appearance on Radio Disney has appeared and in this 'Take with Jake' Jake reveals his favourite Disney show: Phineas and Ferb. So much for the Hanna Montana rumours... (which, I've just been assured by a reliable source, are not rumours at all but true! Maybe Jake was covering his tracks...) Thanks to IHJ for catching this!



In this interview with Cineplex, Jake describes what it was like getiing into all that leather and strapping... 'It was really cool actually. You know, the costume is like a uniform, it gives you a sense of where you are. It took about 40 minutes every day to put the costume on, from like the boots to the... leather arm straps and all the red sash, you know the red sash took a lot of wrapping and stuff. [laughs] I mean I love the character, I love playing the character, and you know, it's fun dressing up like that.'


Th accent: "When I finally got it, which was, uh a few months down the line, which I had done a lot of work to get to - it felt great. I mean, I remember sitting there with the actors for the first day I really felt like I nailed it, because at the beginning of the rehearsal period, Mike Newell, who was our director, would say to me: [adopts grandiose British accent] 'Don't worry my boy, just say the accent. Be confident!' So I'd walk in and be like you know, doing this horrible accent...I think the first time I did it, Ben Kingsley like puked into a trash can... Alfred Molina [who plays Sheik Amar in the film] was like calling his agent, 'Can, uh...is there any way you can get me out of this?' [laughs]'

'But when I finally did get it, I remember all the actors who were primarily British, all kind of treating me differently. You know, it was like when you're in Canada, and you say to them, 'I like hockey' and then everybody treats you differently... You walk in and you're like, 'I'm not, I'm not sure if I like hockey.' everyone is like 'Hmm', not gonna interact [well together] and then you're like, 'No, I like hockey,' and then they're like, they're like...'All right, come on in!'"'


'"I think at this point, it's just a massive, huge, fun film for families and kids and I don't think I'd recommend kids going to see Sex and the City 2 [laughs]. But, you know, maybe for some people...? I made the movie because I was thinking about, you know, how I would feel as a kid when I would see a movie like this. And I think that's what I'm hoping for for kids and for families to go see it and the rest is up to everyone else." More here and you can also watch some of the video there, too.


Many thanks to Linda for sending me links to these two wonderful features from Mexico. In the first, there is another chance to enjoy Jake's musical vocal chords - this time they have a go at Maniac from Flashdance. Oh yes, you heard right. There are also some behind the scenes clips of moments that didn't make it into the final Prince of Persia - including the famous Clothes Line scene. Jake briefly tries his hand at Spanish (I realise that is a confused metaphor...).




In this French interview, Jake talks about injuries on set: 'I was running 15 miles a day to not be too out of breath when I was doing my stunts. The idea wasn't to be a bodybuilder but to be able to withstand the action without hurting myself. But, hey, I still dislocated my shoulder and I couldn't hang on or make large movements for a while. But nothing too serious.' And his birthday plans: 'I'll just invite tons of celebs to feel important.'

In this spectacular looking video, from the Prince of Persia LA premiere, the actors, including Jake, pay tribute to Jerry Bruckheimer.


At last, the episode of The Hour from canadian TV has made it to the internet. It's not embeddable, but you can watch it all here. Jake's on about the 27 minute park but, if you skip to that, you'd miss Christopher Plummer.


And finally...

As you know, I'm a big fan of Duncan Jones. I loved Moon and was very excited to hear that Jake would be such a big part of Duncan's second movie - Source Code will be a treat, I am sure of it. To give everyone some flavour of what Duncan is like, I thought I'd post a link to this.

Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP

31 comments:

Unknown said...

hey wdw,
hope your having a good weekend?
thanks for posting all the new items, im just about to check them out but i just had a thought and wanted your take.
i just switched on the tv and noticed that soccer aid is on and my immediate first thought was that we have gotta get Jake to do it next year....im sure he would too. can you imagine him in his cute little shorts running up and down for an hour and half all sweaty and hot!!that would be the best thing ever.(and all for a good cause ofcourse)

cant wait for brothers tomorrow. i plan on seeing pop for the 5th time tomorrow then getting home and watching brothers. double jake....blissss.

Linda said...

first comment? yay!
hahaha
every interview is just so much fun!
i'd never get tired of this!
Jake is just amazing :)
and I'm still in shock with that sweet voice, seriously he also should make a record and go in tour
!
it'd be definitely a hit! haha
I guess the spanish interview is kind of confusing for you guys, isn't it?
is not that hard :)
I'm glad at least Jake knows my country exist! hahaha

have a nice sunday and a very cool week!:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sabina! I am, thank you. Hope you are too :D I saw that Soccer AId was on - I would certainly love to see Jake run around for 90 minutes - wow! - and yes in a good cause. And much better than some of them they've put in the field tonight!

Double Jake?! Sounds great to me :D

Hi Linda! Thanks so much for the links - I think it's so cool that Jake's done interviews for Mexico and so many other countries - a truly global release. And this was such a good one! Beautiful voice :D

I hope you're all having a lovely Sunday :D

Anonymous said...

Hey wdw, I just wanna say I really appreciate what you have been doing here - you re doing a terrific job. And I m not saying this just because I am a fan of JG as well, but mainly because it s obvious to me how much hard work is behind all of this, so thumbs up and again - thank you, we all appreciate it.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you so much 20:29 :) I really appreciate that - it's great to get some feedback and the kind words make the hard work and the hours worth while. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting those new videos WDW :D

PoP is doing very well now :) well..IMO. Especially over-seas. I feel bad, everyone is saying they've seen it 3 times plus! I've only been once :P But i'm doing my best to reccomend it to everyone and anyone!

Silver

PS Thanks for the video of Duncan Jones! He's so sweet..and talented! I'm excited for Source Code and Mute :) I'll always have a soft spot for him after he was so kind to respond to one of my tweets :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Silver - posting at the same time :D Only once?! You'd better get down to that cinema straight away! :DD I'm recommending it to everyone too and it's doing really well internationally. It's been out for 3 weekends here now and when I saw it today the cinema was full.

I'm so fond of Duncan Jones. I feel really lucky with Jake - my favourite actor working with some of my favourite directors. I love David Fincher so much and so Zodiac was a thrill and Duncan Jones now as well!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

While I was thinking about it - as IMDb has updated its picture of Jake at long last...

Gemma is No 2 on the StarMeter, Jake is No. 4 and PoP is no 2 on the MovieMeter (behind Lost) - Good days!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Just got these figures for PoP from sass:

Total Lifetime Grosses Domestic: $59,452,000 27.5% + Foreign: $156,400,000 72.5% = Worldwide:$215,852,000

Bloody good, eh?!! :D

Carol said...

Thanks for the new clips WDW. I'm going out for a few drinks tonight as we have a bank hol tomorrow. I will be looking forward to watching them tomorrow as the ideal hangover cure:)

I was thinking the very same thing as Sabina watching Socceraid. I so want Jake to do it next time.

Glad to hear that imdb finally updated it's picture of Jake.

Just wondering how PoP is doing at the US box office this weekend. I finally saw SATC 2 this weekend and I nearly cried it was so awful.

Carol said...

Looks like you just answered my question WDW!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! Have a great evening and a lovely day off tomorrow. I know I don't like SATC but I'm sorry it was that bad :( I'm glad I answered your question - great news!

Carol said...

I'm really thrilled that PoP is doing well. I've been recommending it to everyone too. All the people I know who have gone really liked it.

Will be heading to see it again myself tomorrow. Can't wait:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Me too, Carol! Enjoy it again tomorrow - the ore I see it, the more I enjoy it. I want Jake to make a wide range of movies and this one fills a perfect niche :D

Unknown said...

just watched 'the hour' interview.
thanks so much for posting it wdw. you cant but help fall in love with jake, he just comes across as such a genuinely nice guy and totally sincere. he enjoys what he does and all the interviews and press juckets dont seem like a chore to him (outwardly anyway). he never looks bored or tiresome... a true professional. credit must go to his upbringing cos he seems so grounded and humble and totally in check with reality. not like other actors who when you here them talk, you feel there superority and know that they are different from us mere mortals.
jake gives us such an 'approachble' vibe that hes aware of everything and not living in a bubble like the rest of hollywood. (dont think im making much sense).....just wanted to say that i enjoyed the interview.
have a great night everyone, i am going to begin a jake-a-thon and watch all his dvd's....starting with donnie darko...i love him in this.

good night

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sabina :) That is a good interview - and there have been so many through this PoP bonanza. And Jake has won over so many people in poP and in his interviews because he is so approachable, entertaining and full of heart. He doesn't need to give much away - that's not necessary - but he relates to people. He is very special.

When Jake squeezed my arm and thanked me, looking me straight in the eye, for liking his movies, it didn't feel throwaway, it felt sincere. It's a gift he has - it comes over in movies and interviews and makes him unique. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been doing this blog for three years plus and counting.

I wonder if Jake will be at the NBA finals in LA tonight?! I bet he will :D

I must mention that WDW has had more visitors today than on any other day in its history - and so for any new readers popping by - welcome!

Unknown said...

that is such great news. congratulations on your success wdw. i cant emphasise what such a fantastic job you do for all of us jake fans. speaking for myself, you are the first blog i check out now cos you are always uptodate with the latest news, i dont need to look elsewhere for my jake fix. so a huge THANKYOU for making my life easier and giving me my jake fix instantaneously .
im sure he will be at the finals. i wonder if he will show at the mtv movie awards as well.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you so much, Sabina :D That's lovely to hear!

I wonder if Jake can do both... I haven't seen him on a list for the MTV awards but who knows?! I think the NBA game is more likely though - let's hope we see him :)

sheba said...

Yay for Prince of Persia. Yay for Jake and my new 'getting really fond of' actress Gemma. Thank you for all the updates and my chest is puffed up like a peacock knowing that PoP is doing so well at the BO overseas. It may not be an important factor to Jake as to why he choses these roles but Prince Dastan is someone that many of us have fallen in love with and we need to see him again in another adventure. That will only happen if the BO is very good.

I went to the cinema again (9th time) and it was so full, people had to use the seats at the very front :DD

Jake is so lucky to have a formidable group of fans that have spread the word about this wonderful fantasy adventure though if it wasn't good no amount of recommendations from us would have made it as popular as it is now.

I can't wait for LaOD. Imagine Jake and Anne are both Disney Royalty. Anne in Princess Diaries and Jake as Prince Dastan. What a beautiful royal couple they would make.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Yay indeed Sheba - on every count! I don't know how anyone can resist Dastan - I want to see more! I've never had trouble seeing Jake's films over and over, supporting them in the theatres but it's such a huge huge pleasure with PoP and yeay for Gemma! She's a fine match for Dastan.

Jake and Anne - perfect :D

Sheba said...

Oh, and congratulations WDW for so many visitors to your most excelent Blog on it's most excellent adventure. This whole experience has been simply wonderful and almost surreal and I am so glad we've been able to share this with each other all over the world.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sheba! I'm enjoying the ride :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone :) And, if you're in the UK, Brothers is out today!

Have a good one.

Monica said...

Lots of information, great information! I need some time to see everything!
I loved the interview in Spanish!

POP is number one in Brazil. Many people are enjoying the movie!
I have to say I did not like the performance of Gemma. For me it was the same expression all the time.
But even with that and other problems, the movie was fun!

TD said...

Hi WDW, it must be ESP because I woke up wondering about the Brothers DVD - and there was your reminder! I'm off to order it next...

I've been internetless all wkend, so it was a wonderful and emotional time reading the recent posts - inc about Heath - today. Thank you so much for posting that interview. I must say, though the interview was incredible, I do think the interviewer was ultimately rather self-serving. But why am I surprised by this !? ;D
Thank you again
TD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

H there everyone! Busy day here - not good...

I'm so glad you liked the interviews, Monica! There are some real goodies here. Maybe the second time you see PoP you'll enjoy Gemma more. She's really grown on me. I thought she was rather sweet at the end :D

Hi TD! Glad I could give you a Brothers reminder. I was looking at it on the shelves at lunchtime. I have a US copy so I don't need another (and they look the same) but I wanted to push them off the shelves!

Enjoy the catch up. I liked that ShortList interview you're referring to as he triggered a response. I suppose all good interviews have to be self-serving in a way - you have to know what you want to get out of it. interesting. Glad you're back from being netless!

Carol said...

Just came from seeing PoP again. It is definitely the best hangover cure I've had in awhile:)

Good crowd of kids at the movie. It was a rainy bank hol so that helped:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! What a perfect cure for a hangover and what a perfect way to spend a wet holiday :D No doubt the sun'll come out again when you're back at work... Hope you've enjoyed the holiday weekend :D

Carol said...

I've enjoyed the holiday a bit too well I'm afraid:) No doubt the sun will shine tomorrow!!

Congrats on all the people visiting your site WDW. That's a great achievement. Thanks so much for giving us all our daily Jake fix.

Anonymous said...

I saw a TV Spot for Brothers today (on E4). I didn't see any trailers for when it was on the cinema. Brothers is going to be on available Sky BoxOffice sometime this week too.
I hope it does well in DVD sales :)

Silver

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That sounds good, Carol! And thanks *)

Hi Silver! Ooh really! I've never seen any publicity over here for Brothers. But I hope the DVD does well, the theatrical release never stood a chance.