Tuesday 24 August 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal Flip cameraman, and Jake's 'incredible desire to do comedies'

We've been given our last glimpse of Jake Gyllenhaal in Colorado from race day. Not only was Jake there to comfort the suffering and wounded in the Aid Station, he was also there at the beginning to wave people off with his Flip. Running blogger Brendon Fuller who has kept us well informed throughout while still managing to run in the killer event himself reminisces: 'Actor Jake Gyllenhaal was standing in front of me on the start line with his Flip camera shooting some video. Another crew was over further with some big lights. I gave Jake the head nod…what’s up. He responded.' One has to wonder if this other crew was connected with Jake, meaning some serious pre-movie research.


The obvious thing to note from this observation is that Jake must have been so impressed by my handling of my own Flip at the Prince of Persia premiere in London that he rushed out to buy his own.

Jake's fondness for photography is well known and he has been captured on camera several times while taking his own photos. He has also commented on how he videoed Swofford and Robert Graysmith in preparation for his portrayal of them on film and Jake appeared to have a mobile film studio in the boot of his car. Jake's 21st birthday present from his mother was an old Polaroid camera. I did a full post on this some time ago and you can read it here.


From Donnie to Dastan

In another Prince of Persia interview, which I'm only now getting around to posting, Jake spoke about how it shouldn't be a surprise to audiences and critics that he took on Dastan - Donnie Darko should have been a clue. Ten years ago 'maybe I would have assumed that it wasn't unreasonable [to play Dastan]. After all, back then we'd made Donnie Darko, a very promising movie that everyone had seen and had loved.'


Was it a curse or a blessing that Jake had been commected with more dramatic films? 'No, I associate so many wonderful experiences with Donnie Darko that I would never say that the film is a curse for me. If I should complain, it would be at a higher level, then it would be a complaint to the producers... Because often they don't have imagination. They would often blindly hire me for dramatic films, without asking me what I'd like to do instead.'


Had Jake been waiting all this time for Prince of Persia? 'Not specifically for that. But for something that reminded me of this little eight-year Jake, who saw himself as being Indiana Jones and who even then dreamed of acting in such a film.'


So Jake didn't have any concerns at being hired for a blockbuster? 'Not at all! This was the fulfillment of a child's dream. I could let off steam, I was on a giant playground for months, with great people around me to play with, like Gemma Arterton, Sir Ben Kingsley. So why should I hesitate?'


Because Mike Leigh and Lars von Trier might have seen Jake at the beginning of the decade and now said that he does too many commercial films? 'I don't think that masters in their field would every say such a thing. If they have a desire to work with you then it shouldn't matter what you've done recently. I once had a phase in my twenties when I took everything to do with my job too seriously. That was anything but healthy. No, I don't feel that this wild ride will mess up my future.'


'This is a film for all eight year olds in the world who still haven't forgotten how to dream!' And for the older ones, and the girls in particular? 'I had exactly six months to prepare myself for the role. What we see on the screen, is exactly what's possible if you torture your body for six months. But, when it comes to the outside; yes, I'm in good shape. But it disappears again. It's this form of vanity, that we all have, and noone can explain it. Do I find it good,what I look like now? Of course! Do I forget about who I am deep in my heart? No way!'


And on the media's headlines 'Jake is hot!' 'I make sure that this wave doesn't carry me along and I laugh about all the things people come up and say to me about myself. The most important thing in this industry is to keep a certain distance. And I've trained myself long and hard to keep this distance.'


What could happen in the next few years? 'I have an incredible desire to do comedies... Now I've done a wacky comedy starring Anne Hathaway. Then there are other offers in that direction. And maybe at some time Mike Leigh and I could make a good comedy together. That would be great!' More here (and all faults here are mine not Jake's).


Includes pictures from IHJ.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like I am first. The camera loves him, we love him with a camera. And I hope he does do more comedies.

the last link took me to a German site.

sweetpea

Tiffany said...

I love how he has such a good sense of who he is. He hasn't gotten lost in Hollywood. I wish there were more people like Jake in the world. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Me too, Sweetpea :) It's a German interview.

Hi there Tiffany!I love that too - he's not lost at all, he sees his way through. I love that. And that's one of the many reasons why we follow him :D

Anonymous said...

Hello WDW and everyone

Thanks for the German translation WDW! I like how Jake talks about keeping a certain distance. Jake doesn't take himself too seriously. Seeing those pap videos, a star would need that thick skin to survive in Hollywood.

The photography comments were interesting. Laughing at he snap of Jake taking Kirsten's photo with fans, I'm thinking the fans didn't know who Jake was. I looked at your July 2009 post, where Ang Lee said Jake had angles he didn't want to photograph. I think you can see these in Jarhead, there are some shots of Jake that are a little unusual, even exaggerated a little, whereas in BBM Jake looked, just, well, beautiful.:)

Sigh!:)Thanks again for your post WDW.

Cheers

Tui

Marzena said...

It's so good - before going to bed - find something to read about Jake! Thank you WDW. :)
I like the old article about photographing Jake and Heath. I didn't realised that Jake could be difficult to photograph.?. He has so many beautiful pictures! Like this one from BBM on the truck. Lovely.

I like very much that part about Prince of Persia. I have seen that movie again two days ago. This movie is very important to me, it made me enter "the Jake's world".

This is very interesting interview. It's quite deep. I like that part:"Do I forget about who I am deep in my heart? No way!" Keep it that way, Jake! :)

And look at that huge valise on one of the pictures! It looks funny with those red tapes on it. What's inside?

mermon said...

mermon - Marzena - I used my real name. :)
After reading Anonymous post I understood better the difficulty of photographing Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Tui! I'm so glad you read that post - it's great to be able to kink to these old posts as they're not only new to some readers but also the themes are still so relevant. This statement of Ang's, that Jake isn't always easy to photograph fascinates me. Partly I think it's because Jake's beauty is complicated and deanding. It goes way beyond skin depth.

Hey Meromon! You have a beautiful name :) I am very glad that PoP brought you into Jake's world. And always good to think about Jack Twist sitting on that truck. Jake doesn't forget who he is.

The trunk is funny! All those interview suits. Mind you, when he came over to England for the Jonathan Ross Show for Rendition he brought a huge trunk and he was here just one day!

I really enjoyed picking the pictures for this post :D

LadyEkster said...

*big grin at the Flip camera comment*

Lovely interview! Thanks very much for the translation, WDW. German may be closer to Dutch than English but I definitely prefer the latter. ;)

I like the wave metaphor of the looks and hotness, he has such a great way of expressing himself.
And it's a very good thing he has this incredible desire for comedies. Let's see if his desire can match ours for seeing him in more romcoms!

I saw a couple of tweets this evening placing Jake in Alabama, wonder what he's up to...

(by the way: 'aftifier' is my word?? *lol*)

mermon said...

WDW said :"Partly I think it's because Jake's beauty is complicated and deanding. It goes way beyond skin depth."
You're absolutely right! There is many handsome guys, but Jake is only one!
He's a bit shy and confident at the same time, he's charming, warm, with great deep personality, with sense of humore. He respects people and pays attention to them (like to the guy on the highway).
Jake's face and body - but vain, focused only on himself, cold, empty shell - it would be somebody else.

I like him in many kind of movies. He's great in dramas, in romantic comedies, comedies, action movies, soldiers movies. Whatever he touches it is success. I want him to make movies that make him happy. And for myself - I like him in movies when he loves somebody and he's loved. I wouldn't want to see him as a bad guy.

Monica said...

Thank you for the interview!
Mike Leigh? Great choice!

Anonymous said...

First, WDW thanks so much for your amazing efforts to keep serving us our daily dose of Jake. I really love your writing style! You always make me laugh ;-)

Absolutely cannot imagine a "bad" angle on Jake? (Tss, he is a teensy weensy vain.)
And... am I the only one who thinks he looks very attractive with or without facial hair?

A little off topic now:

http://www.luxist.com/2010/08/22/max-weinberg-in-the-hollywood-hills-estate-of-the-day/
Above link has some beautiful pictures of the former Gyllenhaal home in the Hollywood Hills.

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/index/id/292#watchonline
This link leads to a very interesting discussion program regarding "The Science of Sexual Attraction". Some interesting facts on "beard or no beard" etc. ;-)

Might serve as some inspiration for a future post perhaps?

cheers,
lemniscate

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

Hi Lady Ekster! I'm definitely not going to complain if he does more romantic dramas and comedies. Alabama eh?! I wonder what he's doing ther e- my first thought was that I wodered what sporting event was taking place. What is he up to?!! Doesn't Jake realise he should be letting us know, with diagrams and detailed footnotes?

Totally agree, Mermon :D I like Jake in the movies where he's loved and loving too. I do like those movies like Zodiac and Jarhead too where he stands out as a character on his own - kind of like the right person at the wrong place and at the wrong time. Such interesting roles. But a big love affair movie - I could take a bunch of those.

I actually quite fancy seeing Jake as a baddie but I would hate for him to get typecast - I'd like to see Nailed so much as I think for a lot of that he's a shocker!

And how about a historical drama - I could certainly cope with more of Jake in a costume as good as the PoP one :D

My pleasure, Monica! And he is.

Hi there Lemniscate! Thanks very much for commenting and I'm glad I give you a laugh - that's good to know! When it comes to potential bad angles for Jake I'm biased and I can't see them. Like with the face fuzz. I think sometimes the beard mut work like the cap for Jake - protection so he can get on with things, such as researching a movie.

Thanks for the links! Loving the idea of the beards and sexual attraction. You have given me aan idea :D

Have a great day everyone and to the WDW readers in Alabama - keep those eyes peeled! Get your Flip out!