Wednesday 1 September 2010

Political intrigue - The Tale of Farragut North, Jake Gyllenhaal, George Clooney and the right time

While I wait for the Duncan Jones Q&A videos to upload, a process that is taking so long that I may witness civilisations rise and fall, mountains peak and crumble, and seas form and evaporate, before I get the message that the videos have processed, I thought I'd take a look at a story that reappeared in the movie news today. Farragut North. This is a project to which Jake Gyllenhaal was once closed tied and we have followed it through the years here, since June 2007, when we had reports of Jake reading for the play and the promise of an Autumn for Jake spent on a stage, on or off Broadway. But, as we've come to know so well, just because Jake appears interested in a project, that doesn't mean it's meant to be.


In 2007, Jake was associated with readings for two stage productions, Farragut North and a musical. Farragut North even appeared to have a theatre booked (Second Stage). As the story and rumours progressed, it was thought that 2008 would be the perfect time for Jake to appear in this political play - it would coincide with the US election. Originally set for off Broadway, the prospect of Mike Nichols as director pushed the production on to Broadway. But, when Mike pulled out towards the end of 2007 and Jake was firmly linked with Brothers it appeared that Farragut North would be permanently on hold.


Before the idea disappeared all together, theatres optimistically promised that Jake's play had simply been delayed for a year, to the fall of 2008.


Now, of course, George Clooney has taken over the reigns of a film - not stage - version with Leo DiCaprio a co-producer and writer. The project still hasn't been without its troubles. Potential cast continue to fall by the wayside due to the pressures of other projects, including Leo himself and also Brad Pitt. Now it looks as if Chris Pine may be up for the 'Jake Role' as the play/film continues to want to be made.


Like David Fincher's Torso and Doug Liman's Unnamed Moon Project, Farragut North is one of those projects that persisted for a long time but, unlike the other two, it had the promise of Jake Gyllenhaal on a stage at the end of it. Imagine that. Jake has repeatedly spoken of how he wants to do more theatre, after his award-winning success in London in This Is Our Youth, and he has witnessed the more recent stage success of his sister and brother in law. Perhaps it's a matter of waiting for that 'right' project, which Farragut North wasn't, just as the Romeo and Juliet London production Jake talked of also came to nought.


Jake has always been associated with political causes, from ACLU with his parents to encouraging young people to vote and fighting for the Democratic cause with Kerry in 2004. Many an ex-student in America has a memory of Jake taking to the political stage. Years later, Jake made his most explicitly vocal political film to date - Rendition - while, at the same time, curiously arguing that actors should not be politicans. In these days, Jake seems to have rediscovered his political voice but with more comfort - using his celebrity and influence to front the more universal cause of charity. The latest, of course, is Stand Up 2 Cancer (just look at Jake's hats). The telethon airs on 10 September. In addition to this, Jake has been vocal in support for New Eyes for the Needy, youth charities, education and urban regeneration.


Farragut North and other projects may fade away, only to be reborn, possibly, with a whole new cast and direction, but I always like to think that the seed stays planted in Jake and you never know how things will turn out.


The Duncan Jones Q&A should follow tomorrow...

Includes pictures from IHJ.

11 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lateness of the post - been having serious YouTube issues!!! Anyone got a hammer?

mermon said...

Hi! WDW - we understand. :)
WDW - did you or anyone here had a chance to see "This Is Our Youth" with Jake in London? I wonder how he was playing that. I found few youtube fragments of it, but with somebody else playing.

Alejandra said...

I once uploaded a video to YT. And yes, it took forever although it was a 3 minute long thing. And they took the sound off because of rights issues. So I deleted it, obviously...

Now the pics in this post are all so gorgeous, they distracted me. I'm going to have to read again. But from what I managed to get, I want Jake in every project he can handle. :-)

LadyEkster said...

*hammer is on the way* ;-)

Interesting post! I would love to see Jake on stage, in a musical would be even better.

It always intrigues me how movie/theatre projects are developed from scratch. We rarely get a glimpse of the events that lead up to the making or letting go of a project. Do you for example remember the troubles that Pirates 2 and 3 faced? No script, unbearable time pressure etc.? I was so happy when the Pirates 2 dvd included an extensive documentary on that difficult process - a rare glimpse behind curtains. :) I would love for more dvds to have that.

Carol said...

Totally understandable reaction WDW. I feel like that most of the time about Facebook when it gobbles up my comments:)

On Farragut North, if I'm not mistaken I think that Chris Pine might have played the "Jake" role on stage in LA sometime last Summer, after the Star Trek promotion. I stand corrected on that but I think I read it somewhere at the time.

Love the pics in your post tonight.

I await with anticipation the Duncan clips:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Mermon :) It's been quite a frustrating evening. I didn't see it unfortunately although I do remember when it was on - one of those lost oportunities!

Hi Alejandra! I love these pictures - 2004 was a classic year :D

Thanks Lade Ekster! The process behind bringing movies/plays etc to fruition fascinates me. Before my interest in Jake - pre 2004 - it never crossed my mind but it's something now that I really enjoy - following these projects - to success or not. Always interesting. Farragut North has been quite a tale! I think Jake would have liked to have done it. I seem to recall from Ted and Lisa's adventure that some of it was due to misunderstandings. Fascinating stuff :) And more productive to ponder that than bloody YouTube!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol! I vaguely remember that about Chris Pine - he has been connected with it for a while. I must have a look. Another interesting actor.

It's taken hours so far - about 6. I'm hoping tomorrow they'll all work :D There's no Jake in them so no earthquakes! So glad you liked the pics :D

Anonymous said...

Jake's timing is off it seems, I wish he would get out there and find his own projects. He's the product of two film makers. Its in him and Maggie.

On a side note, those torn pants worn by Big Foot aka Jake cost over 200.00 and they are supposed to look that way.

Anonymous said...

That first picture is priceless!!
Makes me wanna vote democrat and I'm not even American :D
And who's the lucky gal getting the piggyback ride? Oooh, jealous :P

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the Q&A with Duncan.

Well I was going to take pics at the train station if Farragut North had gone forward and Jake was in it (there is a train station in DC called Farragut North) But I won't be needing to go there now.

I would love to see Jake in a play. I hope that he is looking for a good project that will fit him.

I wish we knew what is next on his plate. Is he just teasing us by going to CO?

or talk about a Namath biopic?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - Jake has talked about projects he's involved with - such as a musical plus Damn Yankees and Joe Namath. And we don't know what he's involved with now - clearly something.

Er, yeah, it was a joke about the trousers. I didn't really think a bear had savaged them :D

Morning Lena! Lucky girl eh? jake is good at his word and will carry people to the polls - great way to get 100% turn out!

Thanks 5:27! I think that's how the play got its name. I really hope that we get some news about Colorado soon. In the meantime - great LAOD poster! Thanks Melsbells!