Friday 22 October 2010

'Fear is the killer of creativity' - Jake Gyllenhaal on Love and Other Drugs. And the LAOD Macarena...

After this morning's Emergency Post, it's now time for the Debriefing. So, as Captain Picard would say 'Into my Ready Room, Number One'... Where was I? Oh yes, Jake Gyllenhaal is clearly doing his bit for the Q&A. Fortunately we can tell them apart by beard length. Last night, Anne Hathaway took a break from talking about getting naked with Jake, leaving it to Jake and Ed Zwick. Jake's explanation for Annie's absence: “Annie wanted to say that she really wanted to be here but had a previous engagement she couldn’t get out of,” stated Jake Gyllenhaal regarding his notably absent costar Anne Hathaway. “She actually doesn’t care about you [guys]”.



More disturbing is the confirmation that Love and Other Drugs does indeed feature the Macarena. Rumours of this ripped through the fandom during the filming, as extras blogged and tweeted about watching Jake perform this forbidden 'dance'. You can read a full account of this from a post here dating to last October. The post also features an incredibly useful and still relevant demo video of the Macarena, which I advise you to watch and then forget.


Back to the account: '“I never thought there’d be a time I’d use the Macarena,” admitted the film’s director. “The 90s were an odd moment in time, the mid 90s as well, it wasn’t our finest moment,” lamented Ed. He continued, “We were a little hesitant to [use music] too much,” stating that a lot of movies nowadays rely on the music to do the job of the actors. The trick is finding a balance between the two because as Zwick stated, “we had music in movies long before we had talking,” so it goes hand in hand with filmmaking.'


'“I grew up watching [Zwick’s] work,” said Jake... '“I’m the type of actor that needs to put it into motion. I can’t just sit in a room by myself. I need to be able to fuck it up.” He went as far as sitting in on auditions, while the rest of the film was being casted, and going over the scenes with the different actors. The hard work paid off, the actor gives a moving performance which he credits all to Zwick. “Jake is being modest…I didn’t make him do that stuff, it was him. I just gave him the tools to bring it out,” said Zwick.'


Nudity: '“Fear is the killer of creativity,” said Gyllenhaal regarding mentally blocking out the fact that audiences will be seeing their naked bodies. “You have to block that out otherwise you’ll never get anything done,” he said... “We decided last night that we’re not calling this film a romantic comedy,” said Gyllenhaal. “We’re gonna call it an emotional comedy because that’s what it is, it’s life.”' Source.


Similar discussions came up at the previous Q&A at NYU. I know that there was difficulty for some with the sound from the videos and so I've put together some extracts.

Anne: 'In the first movie we shared a life together without sharing a life together... it's a shorter amount of time that we spent together as our characters in Brokeback Mountain but we go a LOT further and we grow into love for each other. Although! I've come to realise that if you put me in a room with Jake Gyllenhaal in a room and you film it my bra has a natural eject button!'



Jake: 'On a serious note I think we inherently as a result of having been even literally naked together - or at least Annie was - in the first movie we did, we were comfortable with each other and it led us into this.' But Ed says he 'went after them independently and it was just a happy accident that they shared that particular experience'.


Jake on jigging scripts again: 'I've worked with so many people where you give an idea and the idea is immediately shot down either in some weird passive aggressive way or in an aggressive way, we're so used to that as actors... it was amazing to watch Oliver Platt and Hank Azaria very timidly ask Ed... 'I was just wondering if...' this is like Hank Azaria... 'if there's a period, if you put a period at the...' And I was like 'Take it out! Take it out!'. 'Oh, in that case, I was just wondering there's a line where I don't like..' He said 'Take it out, if it doesn't work for you take it out, what do you think? What line would work for you?' And he's like...'Well I was thinking about this'... and he said 'That's great! That's great!...' And he was like 'Really?' and all the actors just like eased up. There was a sense of - whether it was a manipulation - all great directors can be wonderful manipulators.'

Anne: 'We want names!'


Jake: 'Whatever it was it worked. That is the wonder of working with someone who has I think, again I think we may be being humble, he's being humble, when I think of the lead actors he's worked with, it was like, I feel like I'm in absurd company. Denzel Washington, Leonardo DiCaprio and Daniel Craig, leib Schreiber and... it's an incredibl... So when you work with someone like that you think there's an immediate intimidation factor and his intimidation comes to anyone who doesn't genuinely love the creative process. I've experienced that even in my auditions. I auditioned with almost every actor who came in and I saw when an actor wasn't prepared or an actor felt like he wasn't that interested, Ed wasn't ok with that. It was very important to be gracious and kind to the creative process because it's something that he loves so much and when you love it it's like absolutely the best process.'


Jake: 'I think pace really helps me as an actor... 'there's less time to do much of anything except trust your instincts.' Jake talks about even at a Q&A, Ed would say 'Where's Jake?!' and it was like being back on set and 'he would shock me into my instincts because I can... I can really, I can really get into my brain and it's not an awesome place sometimes. Sorry to everybody... Annie has so many ideas and he paid so much service to each one of the ideas in a very serious way and with me it was like 'Go, go,go, move, move'.'


Anne talks about arriving on set a month after everyone else and although it was uncomfortable in hindsight it was the right thing to do. Some times her character would have felt like she was hanging on by a thread and so being shocked into it wouldn't have worked.

Many thanks to IHJ for so many fabulous pictures!

19 comments:

Alejandra said...

Thanks so much for the transcripts, WDW! They're so valuable to non native (English) speakers -and there's a fair amount of us here. And I'm glad I actually got most of what was said right -except for the "can really get into my brain and it's not an awesome place sometimes. Sorry to everybody...". So funny.

And I loooved that quote... "Fear is the killer of creativity". He is such a wonderful source of inspiration. So full of wisdom and sweetness, I am grateful he exists and that so many of us can learn from his being here among us. Love you, Jake!!

With all this inspiration, I feel I have a lot of things to do now, today. But I'll also find the time to stare at the beautiful pics from last night (and all the others from this week)... just because... they're as good for the soul as (his) words are. ;-)

Sasha said...

hahah what a Gyllenspeak is there in ... luving it.

I actually understood his brain IS an awesome place ... ROFL - I blame the bad quality


THX dear WDW for transcripting :D

Darling Bluebell said...

Yeeeeah the Macarena! *rofl* I won't be able to resist doing the dancemoves in the cinema, that's gonna be fun. :-D

I'm telling you, that button is calling me... And it will be calling anyone who sees it to go see the movie. Smart move Jake!

I like the idea of an 'emotional comedy'. Sounds good!

Thanks a lot for the transcripts of the Q&A with Anne. I have to say, when his quotes are transcribed it shows that Jake's feeling for syntax can be quite odd! *lol*

Anonymous said...

If I may be allowed to nitpick just a little: "So, as Captain Picard would say 'Into my Radio Room, Number One'..."
It's actually Captain Picard's Ready Room. If anyone cares...

Sorry, I've been a hardcore Trekker somewhat longer than I've been a Gyllenhaalic. :D
But I'm relishing the Gyllenhaalism now! And loving all the wonderful images and snippets from the Q&As. I can't wait for Jake to start making the rounds of the talk shows and the morning shows to promote LAOD!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for clearing things up for me with the videos. I couldn't clearly hear what they were saying.

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Alejandra! I hope they're ok, there were a few bits I couldn't get exactly. Jake talks so fast and he's so animated - wonderful! Love your comment xx

I love the awesome place comment, Sasha!

Hey lady Ekster! Macarena - I've been quietly happy as there's been no mention of it. But now I have to deal with it *gulps*. yep, odd syntax for sure.

Thanks so much, Trekker! I feel so bad for getting that wrong s I've been a Trekker for years. I just thought he said that but in a funny way. I am lousy with nautical terms! So I've corrected the post :) And yes, roll on the shows!

Thanks Sweetpea :)

BBMISwear said...

WDW, you are so great to do that transcript for those who's first language is not English and for those who could not hear the Q&A's clearly. Seriously, this must be a huge help to so many and you are (as usual) surely helping with Jake's fan base - I think he owes you a big thank you! As for me, I've understood them fine all along but that might be because I've watched them 4 or 5 times now and with the volume up full blast!! Hey, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. Now, where are those lovely people that went to last night's Q&A? We need videos people! :-)

And a note to and about gyllenhaalisgr8's video she posted in the last post - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5hekJM6ieU - what a great mix of photos and song!! I can't imagine how much fun you are going to have when you have screencaps of the whole movie after what you did with just the trailer - there are some incredibly AMAZING shots in this movie. Seriously.

Oh, and we have something else in common, gyllenhaalisgr8, as Jon Bon Jovi was one of my favs in the 80's (I have some pretty cool backstage pictures of him and the band from those days - some good memories there - hee hee)!

Okay, sorry for the ramble - just loved the whole Jake/Bon Jovi/LAOD/Bad Medicine tie in!

And you had me laughing with your Macarena comments, WDW - I've got some memories of that too but not as good as the Bon Jovi ones!! :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks BBMISwear! :-) Loving the Bon Jovi talk. When I think of him it reminds me of that battle years ago between his fans and Jake's! A lot of fun :D Wasn't that for Hello?

I love Gyllenhaalisgr8's vids! Here's a clickable link

Abby14 said...

Good lord that white tee looks amazing on him. Kinda odd something so simple looks so good on him lol

Wet Dark and Wild said...

He looks wonderful in it Abby!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Does anyone know where Jake will be tomorrow? I have an opportunity to go to NYC -- must keep my eyes peeled for a chance encounter...
Susan

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Have a lovely day in NYC, Susan! Keep your eyes open :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Maggie is great on the awful Graham Norton Show (he mispronounced the surname when mentioning Jake) but she is so charming.

She said that their father used to embarrass them when they were kids by doing yoga in shop carparks. And when Maggie told her parents that they should do some surprising, they were so dull and bourgeoise, Stephen through a cake in her face :D

gyllenhaalisgr8 said...

That cute little Jake! He can rock a white tee AND black & blue hunting plaid! Could he be any more beautiful?

http://on.fb.me/alEE8l

paulh said...

I'm not even sure what the Macarena was (or is?). All I remember is the Meringue, which was featured in "My Blue Heaven" (1990).

I thought Jake was hysterically funny when he talked about his brain not being an "awesome place." Ann's suggestions were all taken seriously, while Jake's would be greeted with "Go, go, move, move!"

It would have been fun if someone had been standing around with a camera when Stephen threw the cake in Maggie's face. Hey, it worked for Laurel and Hardy and the Three Stooges. :-) People get carried away, and they do things that seem funny when you see them at a later time.

mermon said...

Good Morning everybody!
WDW thank you so much for that post. Finally I could understand what Jake's said.
I like those quotes about his brain - not so awesome place, sometimes. And the others.
About Macarena. It was crazy time when people danced it. I was working on the cruise ship then and after work in the crew bar after few drinks we were dancing that together. A lot of fun. Good memories.
I'm very happy they use songs from 90'. I like movies with good songs. I like "Beautiful Girl". I have it on my phone now . When I walk listening to it, it always reminds me of Jake. Because of the trailer of course. I can't wait for the others songs as well.
Have a good weekend!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone!

That's a nope, Gyllenhaalisgr8 :D

Hi Paul! It is funny - and you'r very lucky you don't know what the Macarena is... It was also fun when Maggie was talking about Peter dancing with Madonna at the Oscars. I got it all on DVD so I'll try and put bits online next week.

That sounds like a really fun time, Mermon! I love that song. I haven't got it yet so I must.

New post as the MTV vids are online. Great start to the weekend!

Anonymous said...

Now Jake Gyllenhaal is wearing much better. The whrite blouse is simple but well-adjusted and the beard is better trimmed.
Just missing a little more sleep and rest better, for not having sleepy appearency for the camera!

lemniscate said...

G'day Folks,

So much to catch up on after the weekend... Djeezes! WDW, how do you keep doin' it? ;-)

Hmm... I never had a Macarena moment when it was "the thing". But I hear you haven't lived unless you've tried it, so better late than never. Whoopa! ;-)

@mermon - "beautiful girl"... Oh, I was a huge INXS fan! Saw them live a couple of times. Michael Hutchence was an incredible performer... So sensuous. The Jim Morrison of our generation. Why are incredible people usually so bloody complicated and all too often their own worst enemy? Uh...
I'm reminded of a flicker of illumination in the dimmest brain of the True Blood gang:
"Never thought I was really smart enough to get depressed. But here I am..." ~ Jason Stackhouse
Yes, it would seem there is such a thing as "thinking too much, too deep". The human brain is a wondrous thing, but it has many dark corners and hidden shafts... Beyond, there be dragons!
Healthy food for a healthy body. Healthy thoughts for a healthy mind.
Sometimes, fear is good.