Saturday 2 October 2010

Sexy Stubble Day or Bring Your Bear to Work Day? Time will tell...

So! Is today Sexy Stubble Day or is it not? While we wait to hear about tonight's New Yorker chat in NYC (10pm EST), here is a short interlude post. Firstly, Jake Gyllenhaal has been seen today in the Big Apple and it was on another train. Duncan Jones certainly didn't put Jake off trains by blowing them up through Source Code. And for that the environment is no doubt grateful.


But on to more serious matters. Jake wasn't just seen on a subway train, he was also seen with a bear. 'I just saw Jake Gyllenhaal on the subway in NYC, bear and all. He looked at me and seemed afraid I'd say something. All good man, live your life.' So, bear...? Are we talking Grizzly, Polar, Black, Brown or Panda here? Something tells me, it's Grizzly. Hopefully not Polar. This post is going for a clean-shaven look in terms of photos - as a last-minute incentive.


Jake was also seen with Maggie yesterday. The bear wasn't mentioned so clearly it was behaving itself. Maggie was also seen out for a bite to eat this week with Sam Mendes, her past director and Jake and Peter's (plus a local boy round these parts). Sam does look like he may have heard this one before - maybe it was one of Jake's old jokes.


Tonight, with or without his bear, Jake will be talking with Ed Zwick and the New Yorker about Love and Other Drugs. After not having heard much at all from Ed on this movie, suddenly he can't hold back. We've been talking here about our favourite Jake movies and it appears that Ed has been giving them some thought too. Here are some words of his on his leading pair from Blast Magazine: '“You have to look at an actor’s body of work,” Zwick said. “I’ve been watching Annie’s work in the last couple of years. Increasingly, the braver she gets, the more she takes chances and the better her work. She’s clearly someone who is ambitious and serious and coming into the height of her power. I thought, well gee, nobody has seen how earthy and tough and funny Anne really is.”


'“And Jake, really when given the right script has been extraordinary. Some choices are less good than others I think, but when I got to know him, I saw something nobody else has seen, just how funny he is, and how charming and open and attractive in this way. Nobody has seen Jake be that seductive bad boy, and I said let’s show audiences parts of these actors they think they know but don’t.”'


Personally, I think this is something that David O'Russell saw in Jake too and we will also see this side of him in Nailed - hopefully.

Do keep your own top tens coming in the comments. I'm really enjoying reading them and I'm not the only one. Includes pictures from links, IHJ and a WDW scan.

28 comments:

Linda said...

hey WDW!
amazing post, it's always good to hear from Jake
specially when he's been gone for a long while
I just saw that comment on Facebook "what was he doing with a bear?" hahaha
can't stop laughing :D
anyway I vote for Sexy Stubble Day :)
have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

LOL at Jake and his bear! I told you he was turning into Grizzly Adams! :DD

If The Man Who Walked Between the Towers was eligible for our top 10, it would be my number 3. I looooove listening to Jake`s voice in that, it`s so soothing. :)

Jake as a funny, charming, seductive, sexy bad boy? Yes please! Thank you Ed!

Olympia

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Linda! You'd have thought a bear would get a lot of attention on the subway...

Yep, Olympia, it's definitely the Grizzly Bear option! I love Jake's voice in that too - beautiful.

I did a post on MovieBrit this evening too as in a writing mood :D

sasha said...

ROFLOLMAO ... with a bear... great!!!

Darling Bluebell said...

Love the clean-shaven pictures in the post. There's still enough time left Jake, please...! A 'seductive bad boy' with a sexy stubble, how can you resist giving us some of that.

Anyway, I suppose I will have breakfast tomorrow morning either in utter horror or in squee mode... Nothing better than the morning e-papers, coffee, and the absence of Jake's Bear(d).

mermon said...

Ed Zwick said - "I saw something nobody else has seen, just how funny he is, and how charming and open and attractive in this way. Nobody has seen Jake be that seductive bad boy"

Hahaha - I discovered Jake in Prince of Persia and that's the way he was there - funny, charming, open, attractive (in every way), seductive and much more. How come, nobody else has seen that :)
I wonder why Jake was afraid this woman would talk to him on the subway. I think he's used to people wanting to talk with him, every way he goes.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sasha :D

Hey Lady Ekster! Let's hoping we wake up to some pictures of Jake without his bear - but at this stage I'll take anything :D

Hi Mermon! I do agree - there was some of that Jake in PoP, in Jarhead, in Nailed (I'm sure) and in a little bit of so many of his other roles - can't wait to see it in LAOD :D

Anonymous said...

That could just be the perception of the person on the subway that he wasn't wanting to talk.
Am sure there are times tho when he isn't up to talking to everyone he sees.
It has to be difficult at times talking to people who know who he is, but he doesn't know who they are. Saying hi and a few things said is probably the most anyone should expect.
KC

mermon said...

I suppose he doesn't want to talk to any strangers. Can you imagine yourself walking streets, seeing, meeting people you don't know, who probably know a lot about you, your work, your family, your dog, even your love life and want to chat? Brrr! I wouldn't like that. That's why I think Jake is very brave walking in the subway, or taking train, where he can't escape in case of chasing. Maybe he didn't have any bad accidents/events, only the good ones.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I agree, KC, Jake's a pretty private person away from movie sets, red carpets and public events. He's just out there doing his own thing (with his bear :D)

I definitely wouldn't want strangers coming up to me in the street either, Mermon! I suppose it's something you get used to and Jake appears to handle it all with perfect grace :)

Anonymous said...

let's hope that Jake's BEAR is going to go into hibernation permanently.

We'll all find out tonight. I wonder if Maggie was talking to her former director (and Jake and Peter's)

I think Jake just wants to go about his day and not deal with strangers wanting to talk to him. He is only too glad for his time away from the limelight and paps. When he isn't working or promoting a movie he just wants to try to fly under the radar

sweetpea

mermon said...

What I meant that probably he was not afraid of her, he just didn't want to talk. With her or with anyone.

Jake Fan said...

He does have a young niece, if the bear is tangible then maybe it was for her. Or it could mean the state of Jake's beard. In today's slang men who are heavily bearded with facial hair are called "bears" and normally wear the lumberjack shirts which Jake does alot. But usually bears are also rather chubby and no offense Jake did look rather chubby in the latest photo of him.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea - that's a picture of Maggie having lunch with Sam so I'd imagine they would've been talking together! I do think Jake's just minding his business going on with his day.

Hi Mermon :)

That's a point, Jake Fan! Maybe he was actually carrying a bear :D But yep, a bear here would suggest the beard too. Maybe I should start calling Mr WDW a bear - he may prefer it to orangutan. I think big beards and lumberjack shirts are designed to make people look chubby :D

Anonymous said...

Hello WDW and everyone

I think Jake has added the plaid lumberjack shirt to his movie star disguise kit - big beard, glasses, sometimes a hat. He is indeed trying to slip under the radar, appearing with a different image to the clean shaven casual but stylish image he has when working.

If the beard was going to come off for the festival theatre Q and A it probably would have come off by now.:)

Cheers

Tui

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Tui! It's definitely part of the disguise kit (and it is at least better than those horrendous bird plaid shirts of a couple of years aho - ugh). There's still time to hope! Or at least if the Face Pet is still with him, maybe he'll explain if it's for a role? A gal can hope...

Shelly said...

I will be highly disappointed in Jake if he shows up to this event with that full beard. I guess it's fine to have it during his off time, but this is sort of PR for Jake and hopefully he shaves it off or at least trims it so it's presentable.

paulh said...

"Jake with his bear" muight have been intended as "Jake with his beard." Typos are not hard to do. I manage them all the time. :-/

Is Jake's beard rea; anyway? What if it's a fake beard that can be added or removed at will? Just sayin'.

Darling Bluebell said...

And we're counting down further...

Back home and I laughed out loud at these tweets:
'At Frannys w @debschwartz1. And Jake Gyllenhall. But he's not eating with us. Yet.'
And then a couple of minutes later...
'I am loving the fact that Jake Gyllenhall didn't get to skip the line. Go Frannys!'

Trying to get a VIP skip-the-line treatment again? Bad boy, Jake. Baaad, bad boy.
Let's hope he was in a hurry because The Great Shave finally took place... ;)

Leslie said...

This girl has tickets to tonight's event and is going to blog about it and attempt pics.

Jake Fan said...

Beard is still present, I'm convinced its for a role.

Hui said...

http://twitpic.com/2u6icr
I saw the pic ,too.......
I hate beard,but he is still beautiful in the pic((sigh)).
I hope it's for the new role, but I really want to know any news about his new project.

Anonymous said...

Wow, he does look great. I think I like him in every phase, from clean-shaven to full beard. :)

Carol said...

Just saw those pics too. He looks great here even with the beard. Hope we get to see some clips from it soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello WDW and everyone

Well Jake looks good in the festival photos - looks like the hair has been trimmed since the food day, but is still on the long side. Maybe the very full beard has been tidied a little too.

And apparently Jake really delivered the goods as an interview subject at the New Yorker Festival. :)

Almost squeeing...

Cheers

Tui

mermon said...

Good morning!
Did you see more pictures then that one? http://twitpic.com/2u6icr
You write about pictures, I see only one.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! New post will be up in a few minutes - there'll be more pics in it Mermon!

gyllenhaalisgr8 said...

I'm sorry but my heart can't handle much more of this facial hair fiasco! My Plea: http://bit.ly/cjrKyY