Wednesday 22 December 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway on British TV and radio and behind the scenes with Zwick and his co-writers

Jake Gyllenhaal has been on British TV a couple of times in recent days although unfortunately both interviews were indecently short. On the upside, the interview for ITV2 at the Christmas Movies yesterday was very funny and revealed Jake's playground code for sending love messages on his pager as a child in the 1990s. If he was unlucky, he'd get 666 back and it doesn't take a genius to work out that was not good.



I posted the interview from Daybreak a couple of days ago, but I'm glad to say that I've been battling with a hammer and sticky back plastic to overcome some technical issues. I've now got a posh version for you.



There is another rather cosy interview with Jake and Anne by the BBC at the end of this link.

Jake and Anne were interviewed for the BBC Radio Show Steve Wright in the Afternoon last week. If you're in Britain you can listen to it here, around the 2 hour and 32 minute mark. Otherwise, here is something of what Jake had to say (but with no prizes to Wright for not having researched how to pronounce Jake's surname):


'Our relationship from Brokeback Mountain together, we were pretty bonded as a result of working together on the movie, the movie coming out and the response to the movie, it bonded all of us in that cast. Plus Annie and I were already cinematically devirginised in that film anyway, with each other. We'd had a sex scene.' Annie: 'So we'd crossed that bridge.' Jake: We'd had sex on film already and so that was over with! I would say that really broke the ice so to speak. When it came down to doing it in this, we were old hands at that... We knew each other very [pause] well.'


To approach Love and Other Drugs from another angle, this feature at Scriptmag presents a fascinating conversation with the Ed Zwick and his fellow writers, Marshall Herskovitz and Charles Randolph. This includes an interesting discussion of the trailer and the marketing for the film as well as the tendency to slot movies into a convenient niche and Love Other Drugs' links to Parkinson's Disease. Thanks to Conojito for the heads up!

You can read my account of the London press conference of Love and Other Drugs over at Bleeding Cool and my review of the film at MovieBrit.

Includes cap of a very non-Love and Other Drugsy scene from IHJ.

13 comments:

paulh said...

The movies are falling on the theaters like snowflakes in a blizzard. So many to see! Yesterday, I saw "Black Swan." The day before that, it was "How do you know?" Today it will be "Little Fockers" or "Tron Legacy." Tomorrow it will be whichever one I didn't see today. I can't even think about "Yogi Bear" or "The Fighter." Don't know if any local theaters are showing "The King's Speech." Brad Cooper is said to be realizing his dramatic potantial in "Limitless." This is a huge overload, and I can't even imaginen how I would see "Love and other Drugs" again before it leaves the theaters.

This is a great time of year in many ways, but the forces of darkness seem to be in charge of movie release schedules during December.

"The Black Swan" is extremely well made, and I hope Natalie Portman gets her well-deserved Oscar, but why do filmmakers have to make a movie about ballet into something Kronenberger and Hitchcock m ight have collaborated on? The poor besieged heroine lies in her bathtub, and the next thing you know, drops of blood are falling into the water? Yuk! She walks down a corridor to a colleague's dressing room, and sees a cadaver with ugly stitches on her legs? What is this world coming to? :-(

Sadly, the one light movie I saw ("How do you know?") wasted the talents of its actors (Jake-link Reese Witherspoon among them) with a screenplay that must have been written by mutant mokeys from outer space. Give typewriters to an infinite number of monkeys, and they will write "How do you Know?" long before they get to "Hamlet"!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Loved that comment, thank you! You're very lucky. Over here the majority of the films you mention aren't out yet and it's a dismal show in the theatres. It's extremely frustrating. I can't wait to see Black Swan. I'll be giving How do you Know, Little Fockers and Yogi Bear a huger than huge berth but there are lots of other films I'm looking forward to.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see Anne & Jake in new interviews this week :)

I am sad that they are all so short though :(

Thanks so much for being on top of all of this, WDW. Jake & Anne seem happy, I hope they are enjoying the holidays.

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW! The clips and snippets of interviews are still fascinating. I especially liked what Anne said about the idea that conservative parts of the American public would be "put off" by the nudity in LAOD. That is an assumption made by many decision-makers in the entertainment industry that isn't nearly as true as it used to be. Hopefully LAOD will do very well and start a trend for more intelligent and realistic romantic/emotional comedies - unlike garbage such as How Do You Know.

Susan

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Anon :) I wish they were longer too and live.

Hey Susan! That would indeed me great. It's interesting how the film is certificated 15 here. That will give it a wider audience. There is indeed a lot of rubbish coming out at the moment. Thank heavens for LAOD on the horizon!

Anonymous said...

Were the new interviews posted today actually from this week or were they recorded earlier and just came out on the net/TV this week?

--Margot

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Margot! I think they were all recorded in or around 11 November in London. The embargo only lifted on 20 December. I wish they were live and that we'd had a UK premiere but never mind :)

Linda said...

awesome! I think I'll miss Anne & Jake together when the promo ends lol
so glad LAOD is getting closer :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Linda!

Without this week off is more exhausting than work. Another day of Christmas jobs. Have a good day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

PS for all Brits remember Jake is on BBCRadio 6 on Nemone at 1pm today!

Serene Hill said...

HI WDW...
I read your review for LAOD at MovieBrit, you're so right about the biased thing, me too have a really high expectation for LAOD, for I really like this kind of character and I'm really excited that Jake do it. Hope I would see it soon, it will finally come to you around next week, right? Hope Jake will go there :D
The interviews are really nice, and Jake's using pager when he was a kid!! It's really funny when he talk about it(143 will definetely be my Love code from now on ;p), and how come Anne and the interviewer didn't know about it..haha..
And I would like to see some interview from after Jake's 30th birthday, cause it seems like all the interview are from before the birthday, right?
Well, Thanks for the posts, WDW!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Serene Hill! I loved that with the code! Seems strange to think of kids with pagers but I suppose these days kids have all got phones! I'm looking forward to the post-30 interviews too :D

New post :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! Have a great Christmas Eve. Time to hit the road...