Thursday 20 January 2011

More interviews with Duncan Jones: Jake Gyllenhaal is 'ridiclously handsome' and a 'bit nutty'

Hot on the heels of the weekend's interview with Duncan Jones (see yesterday's post), today we have a couple more, following on from a visit to the Source Code editing bay by a number of movie sites. They were not only able to chat with Duncan Jones (who displayed his typical openness and generosity), but see ten minutes of Source Code itself. Collidor has posted a video of the interview, which you can see below, as well as a link allowing you to download it as an audio. There is also a new photo from the cramped, train set of Duncan Jones with his two stars, Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan.


You can read all the interview there, but I've pulled out a couple of snippets, including this praise from Duncan for Jake: 'Jake was a huge draw to me because I’m a big fan of his. I think he’s a terrific actor. Also ridiculously handsome in a very hetero way, but he’s a good looking guy, and he’s a leading man, you know. He’s a leading guy and I wanted to sort of work with him. I thought it would be really exciting.'

And on comparisons with Groundhog Day: 'Although there is more comedy in this than you might expect. There’s more humor in it. [laughs] But there’s also Jake, who is a funny guy. If you ask him to sort of let loose and be himself, he is a bit nutty in a really fun way. So rather than let the film get too dark, which was always a concern when we were, again, looking at the script, I wanted to make sure that we could bring the levity to it. Because I think it helps drama. I think drama is more effective when there’s levity there as well. You get that dichotomy.'



'And I think in this film what we wanted to do was my moments of visual…well, my visual ideas where I wanted to fit them into the film, they had to feel right for telling the story. And I think the stunts that we have or the special effects that we have all serve the purpose of getting you into Colter Stevens, who’s our lead character, into his head and his experience of what’s going on in the film. I think if you look at Inception, Inception’s a good example of where as amazing as the stunts in the special effects are, when you’re actually watching the film, they make sense. They’re appropriate to what’s going on during the film. And I think that’s where I was trying to steer us, although Inception hadn’t come out when we were making it. So…[laughs]'

Plus some good news for Jake: 'You know, I wasn’t able to take the number of takes that maybe a Fincher or someone would want to do.'


'The shooting schedule was not hugely much longer than Moon. So I mean it was not as much time as…I hope in the future I’ll get more days to shoot, but there was something we were having to fit into. I think at the time Jake was doing the press for Prince of Persia, so we had to fit in within his availability and getting him out in order to do the Prince of Persia press. So there was not much room to extend beyond that.'


'And with Jake it was sort of similar [to working with Sam Rockwell on Moon]. When we met and I got on so well with him…and I know that he was really interested in working with some different kinds of directors. I mean he had just come off of Prince of Persia. I think it was a very different experience than what he had on Source Code. And I think the two of us kind of bonded and knew that we could have a lot of fun. I could kind of open things up to him to allow him to experiment and to try things that maybe he wouldn’t get to try on other films. I think that relationship between us was really built on trust and the fact that we wanted to work together.'


It's fascinating listening to Duncan talk about his love of Twitter and his appreciation there for everyone there who has built up a tweeting relationship with him. So for a test audience for Source Code: 'I was hoping that I could just invite people from Twitter. That would be fine. I could do that. [laughs] I could fill up a…' Yes, please!

These are just teeny snippets from a wonderful long interview - do read it all here.


Another interview from the edit visit was published by Coming Soon today. There is, I'm pleased to say, more about Jake: 'In this case, I had a meeting with Jake [Gyllenhaal] about six months to a year before all this started. He had loved "Moon" and was interested in working with me and brought "Source Code" to me. He had it sent to me and I found it really fascinating. I loved the idea of working with him and it kind of just took off from there. As far as that as a theme, it's certainly nothing conscious. It's just something that I think, deep down, intrigues me and was there when I started making the film. But I guess there is a return to the unreliability of who people think they are.'


Jake adnd Duncan worked together on introducing some levity into the plot: 'That was one of the things that Jake and I were talking about right from the beginning. This could either go very dark or we could try to elevate it and bring some humor into it as much as possible. Jake's performance throughout this is very interesting. When we sort of realized that there was a humor to this whole event that we could bring into it. I get it. Some people don't really think of "Moon" as being that humorous, but I do. I actually find quite a lot of humor in that film. I think in this one as well, there's a lot of humor that comes out, sometimes at inappropriate times. That makes it even funnier to me.'

Read the rest here.


And finally...

I'm packing my bucket and spade this evening as I get ready for a few days' holiday in Wales. Castles, sea, hills, rivers, real ale and secondhand bookshops - all await. I'll do my best to post when I can and you can expect some off piste pictures. The trip will include a visit to my favourite castles, in fact one of my favourite places, Carreg Cennan. Please pray for sun!


Pictures from links and IHJ.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love how Duncan is reaching out to fans/twitter and letting us know how it was for him working with Jake.

I can only hope they might work together down the road (I only wish other directors would reach out to us fans and let us know what is going on during shooting and what it was like)

btw, there is a union station where I live, so I can pretend Jake is coming to the one here

Gretchen said...

ridiculously handsome in a very hetero way

ummm....wow unnecessary.just say the guy is handsome and be done with it.i mean, what's that even supposed to mean?because it sounds like some new way of saying "no homo." i don't get it, his dad is David Bowie!
/disappointed
ugh i just hate it when people or rather guys make remarks like that.

there's a Source Code poster at collider.com, is that the official poster?i couldn't see any mention about it.(though that barely looks like Jake :/ )

have a nice trip WDW! :]

Claire said...

Have a fab time in Wales, I love North Wales, especially Conway/Bangor way.

I'm snowed under with essays for uni so haven't posted for a while - although I try and read the blog to get my daily 'fix'...

I thought Moon was excellent so am looking forward to SC.

Thanks WDW for the brilliant and interesting blogs as always. Pictures always go down a treat too, just wish the face hair would come off totally, it seems to be slowly getting back to levels last seen last summer!!

XX Claire

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I love that to, 20:12! I love how Duncan involves movie fans. He's responded to me a few times and I know I love it!

Hi Gretchen - I'm afraid to say that this is an example of Brit humour just not coming across through words on a page. That's not what Duncan is saying.

That's another fan poster, I quite like it :)

Thanks Claire! And glad you get some time to read. We're heading for south Wales and Pembrokeshire - gorgeous! Oh yes, sasquatch appears to be making a comeback...

mermon said...

Hi!
What our Jake does to directors of his movies is incredible. They like him, almost as we do :)
Duncan Jones is very sympathetic, he's quite unusual guy. Likes to tweet, likes to talk, those interviews are very long and interesting.
He mentioned that Jake would like to make a sequel - DJ - "I know Jake would be thrilled to do sequels. But I think it works very well as a single film. Whether we go off and do something else, that's the future."
So, waiting for another sequel? Maybe that's what Jake waits for. Movie releasing is soon, if viewers and critics' reaction will be according to Summit's, Duncan's and of course Jake's expectations - then maybe they will start to talk about continuation.

"ridiculously handsome in a very hetero way" - @Gretchen - I actually liked that line straight away. I understood it that way, that even guy like Duncan can not miss Jake's beauty, but he didn't want to leave any wrong impression, so to make it clear about his own sexuality he said about Jake's hetero way of being good looking. I just can't find anything upsetting here.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mermon! Such long and interesting interviews - again! The publicity for Source Code is going to be great and I can't wait to see DJ and Jake interviewed together. And Duncan's generosity through interviews, tweets etc. Remarkable. And I cannot wait for this one.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the post, WDW. Have a nice trip. I love castles too and can't wait to see your pics

sweetpea

Gretchen said...

excuse my ESL then, what is he saying WDW?

mermon:
....yeah i understood it the same way.that's why i said it's unnecessary.i don't feel the need to mention i'm straight when i say i think some woman is gorgeous.i wouldn't and i believe many people wouldn't think he wants to jump Jake's bones or that he's gay if he just said Jake is handsome.

but WDW says he doesn't mean it like that so what do i know.i'm the last person to be overly sensitive but maybe today's my day.lol

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks, Sweetpea :)

Oh, I don't know, Gretchen, I just didn't read it as offensive.

Night all.

paulh said...

I just got back from seeing "Green Hornet." As I go through the cast list, I'm find some great Jake links. Seth Rogen, of course, was in "Donnie Darko," but there's also David Harbour who looked so familiar that I was racking my brain about where I had seen him. Turns out he was Randall in Brokeback Mountain." Tom Wilkinson makes six or seven movies a year, but so far none that have included Jake.

I hope Jake gets connected to some more new movies soon. After "Source Code" comes out, there won't be anything specific to look forward to...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! I saw Green Hornet the other day - I wasn't too keen... (wrote on it at MB). I didn't spot David Harbour! Which was he?

And yep, we need more movies Jake! Three would do for starters...

Anonymous said...

I agree Gretchen, that comment bugged me especially coming from the son of such an open minded musician.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping Jake would do "Mute" with Duncan Jones. I'm throwing it out there in the universe.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! And I'm glad to say it's beautiful out there :)

Have a lovely Friday and weekend!

paulh said...

Hi, WDW

David Harbour played the evil District Attorney in "Green Hornet." I personally think Chudnovsky, the crime boss, had the most fun making the movie.

I've just realized another Jake link in "Country Strong," though he doesn't appear on screen. Tobey Maguire (who was in "Brothers") is a producer.

mermon said...

Hi!
I think, we didn't have that short interview here - "What's Next For Jake Gyllenhaal" - What Jake thinks about Justin Bieber and Robert Pattinson, and what next for him?
Josh Horowitz interview

Serene Hill said...

HI WDW...
Seems like Source Code publicity is starting more or less... Would love to see the movie's official poster...
On the previous post, I love the pic on the previous post, I just simply love the one with Jake wearing that sweater, so adorable even with so much beard :p. And I like the pic where Jake's holding Michelle Monaghan's hand, and the first pic on the previous post..
Have a nice holiday WDW, the castle pic is really beautiful, I always wish that someday I would be able to go visit places like that, and I'm looking forward for more beautiful pics to come...
Thanks for the posts WDW!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Thanks for the info. I can see it must have been him now. He looked so different.

Thanks for the link, Mermon :)

Hi Serene! Glad you enjoyed the posts :D

In Hay on Wye tonight - a beautiful place. More bookshops than you can shake a cat at. Very cold!

BBMISwear said...

Wow...so much new SC stuff...loving all of it!

Your vacation sounds wonderful WDW...have fun! Just more shoveling here - UGH!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! Made it to the seaside in Pembrokeshire. Cold but very beautiful. I think I'm eating too much...

Hi BBMISwear!

paulh said...

I hope you enjoy your vacation, WDW. I second what BBMISwear said about the shoveling. It's killing my elbow. Today my car got stuck in the snow. I want to escape! Lots of other people do, too, as the traffic congestion is terrible.

Another big storm next Tuesday into Wednesday! The next three nights will be extremely cold.
Time to build an igloo.

If Jake were, he'd soon forget about wanting to swim in icewater with walruses....

mermon said...

Good Morning!
I watched LAOD at last! Two times already. And I liked it. A lot :)
I think it's well done, well acted. They could have add more popular songs from 90', but some of OST - was pretty good.
Jamie is sweet, together with Maggie - great couple, even brother - not so bad, though sometimes he deserved a kick in the rear. I think, it shouldn't be R-rated. Absolutely.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi paul! Sorry to hear about the shovelling. I'm no good at it. I'm having a lovely time, thanks!

So glad to hear you've seen it, Mermon. Thanks for telling us what you thought.

Have a great day! More castles and seside :)

BBMISwear said...

I hope we get to see some pictures once you get back WDW!

Isn't this horrible, Paul? negative 4 tonight, more snow mid-week and the weather reporter said we should expect a 'snow storm' every 3-5 days for the rest of the winter. UGH!!!!

Well, I guess I'll be staying in a lot and catching up on pictures, articles, videos, etc. I have saved to my computer...not a bad way to warm up!

Until next time...

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BBMISwear :-) So sorry to hear about the snow and cold.

Had a wonderful day today by the sea with the most stunning castles and scenery. Back home tomorrow!

sass said...

TY...

mermon said...

2011 Razzie Nominees

Fortunately - no Prince of Persia or LAOD nominations. A lot for Eclipse movie and Twilight stars.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the hair style of Jake Gyllenhaal. It seems he ran away from prison or psychiatric hospital.

Anonymous said...

"I don't like the hair style of Jake Gyllenhaal. It seems he ran away from prison or psychiatric hospital."

Hi Anon,

Are you referring to Jake's usual hairstyle, or something from a specific movie? If you mean his hair cut from Source Code, that's pretty standard military style and appropriate for his character who is a military officer. Otherwise, I guess you must be noticing something that is familiar to you from either prison or a mental institution. Since I'm not familiar with those types of places, I wouldn't know.
Susan