Friday 23 September 2011

As the satellite draws closer, some new stills from October Sky - plus Maggie's milk tache

Update: I think it missed us...

One would have thought that the chances of being hit by a satellite falling from space to earth are rather slight - in fact, it is 14,000 times more likely that you'll be struck by lightning. However, this is tempered somewhat by the 1 in 3,200 likelihood that the satellite will hit some unlucky soul (odds here). But, having seen Donnie Darko, I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up in the morning to find a big bit of space jetsam sitting on my doormat, winking at me. And so, as the satellite hurtles towards us, with impeccable and hopefully not portentous timing, IHJ has posted some new old publicity stills from Jake Gyllenhaal's most spacey adventure to date, October Sky. Here are just a few of the many.




Of course, it doesn't hurt to reflect that Jake has starred in another film about the end of life as we know it - The Day After Tomorrow - while in Source Code there was the very real possibility of oblivion for another American city and for Jake's character Colter.


This probably isn't a good night to rewatch Donnie Darko with its foretelling of the end of the world.

So, with eyes upwards, I wish you all a safe good night.



But first...

Maggie Gyllenhaal has added her name and picture to the milk campaign although, as one likes with the Gyllenhaals, there is a twist. Maggie advertises the more sophisticated latte rather than just milk. Although, looking at the picture, I think she's shoved a carton of ice cream in her face. Recompense for making the young Jake lap milk from a saucer at dinner parties?



I'm delighted to inform Maggie that I too have milk in my fridge, at least I think it's milk. It's not easy to tell due to the big lumps in it.

My review of Drive.

9 comments:

mermon said...

Hi!
I like the clip with Maggie and milk! That's funny. I'm not a milk lover myself, but I use it sometimes. I wonder if those campaigns cause bigger sale and consumption of milk. :)

Great pictures from October Sky - what a pleasure to watch them. Jake was so cute then. Thank you, Kate.

Have a good weekend every one!

mermon said...

I've read that satellite suppose to fall on a north of Italy. I hope people are safe there.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Mermon! Ooh, interesting - they've narrowed it down where it's aiming then?

I loved the video - I'm no milk fan either but I do like a latte :) These are lovely pics. Wonderful to be reminded of October Sky :)

mermon said...

Good Morning!
So, probably the pieces of satellite fell down in western Canada. In the morning, European time. They were predicting earlier, it will flow above Europe, it shows how those things can't be precisely predicted.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Mermon! Phew - sounds like it landed away from people... Fascinating story though - I do love anything spacey.

Sounds like Jake is (or at least was) in NY from some sightings :D

Have a great day everyone!

Susan said...

Hi Kate, loved the post.

Let's see, a 1 in 3,200 chance of being hit by that satellite; odds of being hit by lightning are somewhere between 1 in 5,000 or 1 in 1,000,000; odds of running into Jake on the street - 1 in a billion, unless you are in either NYC or LA (which I am *sob* not).

Odds of me finding time to watch a Jake movie or two this weekend - a sure bet!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Susan! Apparently, the odds were 1 in 3,200 of anyone being hit. It was about 1 in 21 trillion of it being you (I'm very glad to say!). The chances of seeing Jake on the street are far more remote, as you say. *sigh*

Which ones are you going to see?

My review of Drive - a toughie...

Anonymous said...

Oktober Sky was the film that I loved!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Me too, 18:57!

Hope you've all had a good Sunday! I've been wearing myself out... New post!