Sunday 27 November 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal introduces the New Eyes for the Needy auction - video

Back on 31 March this year, Jake Gyllenhaal launched the silent auction for New Eyes for the Needy in NYC. This is one of the charities closest to his heart as we've seen over the last few years. The good news is that New Eyes for the Needy has now released a video of the event, in which Jake talks about why the charity is such a good one to support and and why it means so much to him personally.



As a fellow specs wearer I can empathise with these words of Jake's from the auction: 'When I wake up all I see are colors and fuzzy things because my eyesight is so bad. I can’t imagine what it would be like if I didn’t have the resources to be able to see clearly'. A downside of this morning fuzziness is that it can take a while finding your glasses in the morning. Actually, that's more a downside of my untidiness but even so... it's good to hear Jake knows what it's like.

New Eyes for the Needy have also revamped their website, including their rather lovely new homepage. Many thanks to BBMISwear for the heads up!


It's been quite a while since we had new photos of Jake, especially publicity photos. I'm therefore very grateful to IHJ for a few new old photoshoot pictures from earlier in Jake's decade of movies. I particularly like these two:





13 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! I hope everyone in the US has enjoyed their long holiday weekend - and everyone else their short one...

Great to have some new video of Jake (looking and sounding lovely) even though it's a few months old.

mermon said...

March 31 - that's my birthday!

Jake is so sweet for caring about the others. But that is for sure big influence of his family, of the way he was raised.
I didn't realise his sight is so bad.
He said "he reserved wearing glasses only for when he “has to look smart.” So lately he was in mood/need to look smart, cause it was quite few pictures with him in glasses.
Young Jake sitting at the table - very cute. Is it TDAT time?

Bertie said...

Very lovely. Jake just reminded me, a have a few pairs of glasses that I should donate! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the last two posts, WDW. I was finally able to see that Thanksgiving movie too and had a blast.

And now there is a new video of Jake. Lovely!

My guess is that Jake will stay in NYC for the holidays now too. Which means, unless he'll start working again, we won't see much of him until 2012.

mayumintolor said...

Oh! It's really nice to know that Jake's been supporting good organizations like a "New eyes for the Needy" and "Edible Schoolyard".

My eyesight is bad too, so I'm glad that maybe I have a same feelings with Jake!!
and Thanks for lovely pics. :)

Belatedly, I'm grateful to @lillyroseNjake for telling about Thanksgiving. I could understand it more than before. :)

Have a nice day everyone!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Monday - boo! - and a frosty one to boot.

Hi Mermon! That's funny about wearing glasses to look smart. maybe he's had a change of self-image? Interesting.

Ooh, Bertie! Is that you?! So so good to see you and I hope things are well with you x

Glad you got to see it, Mrs JG :D Yep, I fear we're in for a long Jake Drought... :(

Morning Mayumintolor! It is good that even when Jake isn't working on movies he's still working away for his charities :)

Have a good day everyone!

Darling Bluebell said...

Lovely video. Thanks for the find! How could one resist when he says "Donate now" using those baby-blues and that smile...

Just a thought: does he still have such bad eyesight today? If so, why wouldn't he get his eyes lasered? He'd have access to the very best doctors on the planet, I'm sure... Or maybe he simply chooses not to. It'd be interesting to know more about that.

Have a good evening, everyone. First working day of the week done with, hurray.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Lady Ekster! Maybe he's like me and extreeeeeemly squeamish when it comes to eye things.

Congratulations to Anne Hathaway on her engagement and it looks like we may have confirmation from Maggie and Peter soon!

Anonymous said...

It looks like Ramona is going to have a baby brother or sister, Maggie is pregnant

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2011/11/28/maggie-gyllenhaal-pregnant-with-second-child/#comments

Uncle Jake is going to have another niece or a nephew to play with

Sweetpea

Margot said...

Maggie is pregnant! CONGRATS to them :)

Carol said...

Congrats to Maggie, Peter and Anne Hathaway:)

mayumintolor said...

Wow!! Maggie is pregnant!? That's wonderful!!
Congratulations! Maggie and Peter!
and Congratulations on Anne's engagement! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! And congratulations indeed to Maggie and Peter as the news has been confirmed by reps :D

Morning Sweetpea, Margot, Carol, Mayumintolor!

have a good day everyone :)