Wednesday 11 January 2012

Jake Gyllenhaal has a new manager, the Golden Globes, Brokeback Vote, and not a rotten tomato

It's the New Year and you know what that means. Time to turf out the old and ring in the year. For me that means new slippers but for Jake Gyllenhaal it's all about new management. Deadline reports that Jake has now signed up to work with Patrick Whitesell of WME. I'm sure we all wish them both every success for 2012 - may the year be full of seductive scripts and irresistible directors.


The last post was typically published about ten minutes before the announcement of Jake as a presenter at Sunday's Golden Globes. This is great news, not least because we will see Jake in a tux and maybe even without excessive hair weight, but also because we can see Jake in the public eye, presenting himself to us all. Other presenters include Jake's friends Natalie Portman, Robert Downey Jr and Adam Levine. Sounds like a good night!


Talking of awards, the DGA has nominated Jake's father Stephen in the TV movies and miniseries category for Girl Fight. The winners of those awards will be announced on 28 January.

Brokeback Mountain is still in third place in the Focus Features best film poll so VOTE VOTE VOTE!!! And then vote again.


Source Code might have been left out of the gongs so far, for reasons unfathomable, but audiences and critics loved it. One could argue that their opinion matters more than any academy. Rotten Tomatoes has listed its Golden Tomatoes Awards for 2011 and at No 8 is Source Code with 91% of love.


Meanwhile, while Jake prepares for the Globes, ironing off the suit and polishing the shoes and tweaking the nasal hair, twitter sightings continue, with a spotting last night of Jake having dinner with Austin Nichols - sushi? - in LA. Here's hoping we may see them cycling together soon.


As this post has an awards theme in places, it's very apt that IHJ has published old/new photos of Jake and Selma Blair at the 2002 Movieline Young Hollywood Awards. Ten years ago - how time flies.

Thanks to IHJ for the pics. Thanks to BBMISwear for the twitter link!

My review of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is now up at MovieBrit.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's Selma Blair from Highway with Jake in these pictures you posted.

mermon said...

It was so quiet in Jake's world and suddenly so much goes on!
I think it's exciting Jake has new manager. New man, new connections, new possibilities, new great scripts and films maybe?
Another exciting news about Jake presenting at GG in such a great company! I just wish and hope it will be possible to watch somehow. Please give some link if it will be any.
BBM is still on 3 place. Getting very slowly more points. Not much one's can do, we may vote only once, at least I'm not able to vote again.
Great photos from IHJ. Isn't it Selma Blair with Jake? Must be some after Highway time.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks 20:44! I knew that... ahem... I have always got the names of Selma and Salma muddled up since the year dot.

Hi Mermon! The GG isn't shown here either so I certainly will post a link as soon as I find one. I was able to vote again so do try.

I hope everyone's having a good evening!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

My review of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is now up at MovieBrit

Susan said...

New year - a perfect time for some strategic changes. The link to the Deadline article includes some very interesting comments about Jake, his career, and who his current "competition" seems to be.

Am I the only person on this planet who really enjoyed Prince of Persia? I blame it's relative failure at the box office on poor marketing and other bad choices by Bruckheimer, like one of the commenters on the Deadline article. As a light-weight, family friendly, romp in the desert fairy tale, I thought it was fantastic. Better than at least half of the Pirates of the Caribbean features.
The point is that it seems Jake hasn't been getting the kind of roles he deserves and with new management that will hopefully change.

BBMISwear said...

Lots of "news" floating around out there about Jake these days, huh? I hope this is the start of a new trend for 2012: More Jake news! Agents, award shows, beard discussions now will hopefully turn into movie news next. *practicing patience*

I'm looking forward to Sunday's Globes Show but still disappointed about the lack of love for Source Code. *sigh*

Thanks for all the updates WDW!

:-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Another busy day... hyperventilating...

Hi there Susan! It does feel like we might be at a turning point of an important stage in Jake's career. You're not alone with Prince of Persia. I loved it but Jake does need to make more films and get them line up. I do sometimes wonder if the range of Jake's work is actually a hindrance at the moment. Perhaps this is the time for Jake to focus on the type of film he wants to make.

Hi BBMISwear :-) I hope we see something of the Globes. I do love the Globes, such a lot of fun, but even better if Jake were there nominated. Oh well, it will happen!

I hope you're all having a good evening. I an really really looking forward to the weekend.

Daniela said...

"I loved the retrospective, something tells me that 2012 will be year, for us and jake
Happy New Year to all, good health and peace and joy! : D"

I wrote this post in a 2011 retrospective
With this news in January (and especially GG WME) are getting well, haha

Anonymous said...

Daniela stop jinxing Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Friday at last :D

Morning Daniela! The year is starting off very well! So may it continue :D

I feel like I should grab a black cat or climb over a ladder, 1:20!

Have a good day everyone!

Daniela said...

Anon 1:20 did not understand what you meant, jinxing?

Paula C. said...

Daniela, jinxing means someone who brings bad luck.

I did not understand how that's related to you, you said exactly the opposite,I know you and you are sweet and only want the best for Jake

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Daniela - it's not a comment getting at you or saying that you're a jinx. It's just a common superstition that if you express a wish and then say it's coming true, you might jinx it. It's like saying something's never happened and then you touch wood to make sure it still won't. It's a language thing so don't mind the comment :) it certainly doesn't mean you wish Jake harm!

Paula C. said...

UV, the things I learn here! I thought it was some kind of mean comment, now I know it's just an expression.

Paula C. said...

Sorry,I've changed your name KATE.
It's to many Jake blogs for me to handle:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

*sulks* ;)