Wednesday 18 April 2012

Jake Gyllenhaal talks about why growing food and why he loves London so much (something to do with sprouts)

This Friday, Jake Gyllenhaal is presenting some of the scholarships at the LA Conservation Corps ceremony in LA. This weekend, though, an event takes place which may well influence what Jake is up to for the few days after that.Obviously I am purely speculating but I don't think it's beyond the realms of all possibility that Jake may attend this weekend's nuptials of good friends Carey Mulligan and Marcus Mumford in the English countryside.

As is my wont, this is the perfect excuse to go off tangent and post links to a couple of audio interviews Jake did for Edible Schoolyard a year ago which relate to the conservation and food growing theme and, in the second audio clip, to Jake's love of Britain and London:


'Consciously, or unconsciously, I love that country, and particularly love London itself. I just find it to be - now the food is extraordinary to be there - and I just love the people there. Most of my friends are British strangely too and I find them to be loyal, intelligent and caring people, not unlike most people around the world, but in particular I just love that town. And I love I think most of all their idea of supporting potential. Particularly in the arts. They see somebody that they see in the spirit of growing. When they see a sprout that they think might be a nice plant, they fertilise it and they support it... it doesn't have to be a full-grown plant, amazing from the outset, it's all about supporting potential and I really respect that about that culture and them and I felt greatly supported by them in so many ways. London was the first city that really supported Donnie Darko, a movie that I did. I feel a great love for them.'

Remember this video of Mumford and Sons performing in a small room of people including Jake and Carey?



This post includes a new picture from IHJ from 5 April of Jake and Maggie in NYC. Of course, Peter may well have been the one to introduce Jake and Carey following their appearance together in An Education and then on stage in NYC in the Seagull. Thanks to BBMISwear for the link.

3 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning all! I hope you have a good Thursday :) feeling slightly more human today...

Susan said...

Hi Kate! Upon hearing that Carey Mulligan and Marcus Mumford are getting hitched, my first thought was also to wonder if Mr. Gyllenhaal might find his way to the celebration. It would be nice for them if he did.

Love your tangent! It's always nice to hear that lovely voice. Thanks, Kate.

BBMISwear said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better even if it's only a little bit - ugh, you got a bad one.

I thought of Jake maybe attending the wedding, too, except for the horrible timing - talk about going in the wrong direction to get from NYC to London (via L.A. - yuk)! But one thing that doesn't seem to bother Jake is flying all over the place and making very quick trips from here to there and back again so I guess we will see. One thing I love about him being in L.A. is the pictures that always seem to surface when he's there.

Good stuff leading up to the great stuff to come in May!

Thanks for the update! :-)