Saturday 6 October 2012

Jake Gyllenhaal and David Ayer on making End of Watch and a WDW London Interlude

End of Watch continues to gather buzz. Next week it is shown at the London International Film Festival - I'll be there which makes me really rather happy - and the interest mounts. This week director David Ayer has been talking to Los Angeles Magazine about his road to End of Watch as well as what it meant to his stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena. It wasn't necessarily pretty.


'To make LAPD officers of Gyllenhaal and his costar Michael Peña, Ayer put them through five months of punishment. Several days a week Gyllenhaal reported to an Echo Park dojo run by a friend of Ayer’s. “Dave said, ‘I really need you to know what it’s like getting the crap kicked out of you and how to beat the crap out of somebody,’ ” Gyllenhaal says. “And in the beginning it just started with getting the shit beaten out of me by 14- to 20-year-old kids literally every morning. Towards the end I definitely got some good kicks and punches in on those boys.”'


'Instead of the couple of nighttime ride-alongs that have become obligatory research for cop movies, the actors spent weeks in L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, LAPD, and Inglewood police squad cars. Over yogurt and granola at a Silver Lake café, Ayer describes how during Gyllenhaal’s first time out, he saw a gunshot victim die on the street. “Jake called me up that night and he was like, ‘That shit changed me,’  ” says Ayer, who is 42. His head shaved, he wears cargo shorts and a plaid button-down shirt whose loose fit only manages to make his shoulders look more massive. “I’m like, ‘Good, that’s exactly what I was hoping.’ It was horrible, and I know it isn’t going to sound right, but my hopes were that in this process he would encounter some truth and some reality about what’s really going on in L.A.”'

There is much more here. Thanks to IHJ for the pics!

Last night (6 October), Jake was on hand in NYC to help Proof co-star Gwyneth Paltrow celebrate the big 4-0.

WDW Greenwich Interlude

Today was a beautiful Autumnal day and so we took off to Greenwich in London on the motorbike. Greenwich is a beautiful place - a World Heritage Site which is also the home of the prime meridian (where time equals zero), the Cutty Sark, the  Christopher Wren Old Naval College, the Maritime Museum, the river in all its glory as well as 2012's Olympics equestrian events. Stunning, historic architecture can be found side by side with beautiful old pubs, shops and markets, not to mention the odd morris dancers. You might also spot some Tower of London and Tower Bridge in the photos below.











On the ride home, we stopped in the middle of the gorgeous Oxfordshire countryside to have a drink in a beautiful old pub. Once named the Admiral Nelson, it was renamed Lord Nelson when the man himself was elevated to a peerage all those years ago. The nautical theme continues.


My review of Looper is now up at MovieBrit!

16 comments:

mermon said...

Judging by your pics, Kate, famous Greenwich looks like a very pretty, interesting place! Thank you for sharing.
The interview with David Ayer is just excellent! I would never tell seeing that calm, slowly talking man, that he had such a complicated life, since his childhood through difficult growing up years. He really opened up here. He had a lot of luck in his life and met right people to help him, but had also his writing talent that gave him a chance in new life. I wonder if he told his story to Michael&Jake. Such a different life from the one Jake had. That interview made me want to see his other movies. Thank you Kate for posting it!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Mermon! I saw the trailer for End of Watch on the big screen today - looked so good! I'll be seeing it next week at LFF and it can't come soon enough. Greenwich is beautiful! I hadn't been before but will go again.

I hope you all had a good weekend! You must all be very busy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate is jake attending London ff?

Ciara

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Ciara! I don't think so, unfortunately. I think the play will keep him too busy :(

Anonymous said...

Aw no way was going to fly over if he was there :(

BBMISwear said...

Lovely post WDW! I love that there are still these wonderful EoW articles popping up (to add to the collection of articles I'm still in the process of reading). Will we ever fully catch up?! I don't know but it sure is fun trying!!

I enjoyed your interlude - such a blue, blue sky on your travels - and I so want to join you for a drink in that old pub!! I cannot wait for you to see EoW - how terrific you get to see it earlier than it's UK release!

Going back to the last post and the chat about Boston accents I saw an Anon's comment listing 3 good movies to hear the Boston accent - Good Will Hunting, The Departed and The Town - excellent Boston related suggestions Anon!

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday...I've had a busy weekend but am ready to kick back with a few EoW press videos I haven't seen yet (note to Kate: red wine has been poured)! :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much BBMISwear :-) I would love to have a glass of wine with you in these lovely pubs.

My review of Looper is now up at MovieBrit

I hope you all had a good day!

student accommodation jesmond said...

Wet Dark and Wild is really very nice post here.Thanks for wonderful writing.

vending companies said...

This is a great inspiring article. I am really grateful to you for providing me with such useful information. Thanks a lot. Keep blogging.

in home drug test said...

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing

didgeridoo said...

This is a very informative article.I was looking for these things and here I found it. I am doing a project and this information is very useful me.

Medical Tourism in Mexico said...

Just wonderful posting! I really loved reading through through it, you'll be a great author.I'll assure to bookmark your website and may return later around. If only to encourage you to definitely certainly continue your great writing.

arborist report sydney said...

Your blog is brilliant! Generally when I visit blogs, I just come across shit, but this time I was really surprised when I got your blog containing good information. Thanks mate and keep this effort up.

Mac Wipe Software said...

He's looking like a great personality. Fantastic blog! I genuinely adore how it is simple on my eye in inclusion to the details are properly written.

personal startpage said...

Well I am quite sure that it would not be new for you but your blog s fantastic! I am sure that many guys would have told you before but I thought to let you know myself and boost your confidence.

échantillons gratuits pour bébé said...

well informative post you share here Thanks admin for your kind interest with us . You are one of my bookmarks . Kindly keep updating.