Wednesday 27 February 2013

A catch up with Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman in Atlanta and more on Prisoners

Oscars come, Oscars go and it was not to be in 2013. While Jake Gyllenhaal (and myself, come to think of it) gave the awards a miss, no doubt he was watching, cheering on his Prisoners co-star, the Well-Voiced Hugh Jackman, and cheering along with the rest of us as Anne Hathaway and Ang Lee won their Academy Awards. Many congratulations to Anne and Ang - Brokeback Mountain's representatives did very well indeed.


A few years ago it was very different and back in 2008, I headed over to LA to share in a little bit of the Oscar excitement, doing my best to gatecrash the biggest party of the year, The Night Before Party, at the the Beverly Hills Hotel. I won't forget it as long as I live. Here's the link for those who haven't seen it. More of that Oscars roadtrip is here.  Happy days!


Jake is, of course, hard at work making Prisoners in Georgia. You can find some more information and photos from the set here. Just a couple of days after singing on stage in LA, Hugh Jackman was back on set with Jake.


There is plenty of information here on the film itself and the team behind it. There are big names, not least cinematographer Roger Deakins. There is also more on the story and Detective Loki's part in it.

'How far would you go to protect your child? Keller Dover (Jackman) is facing every parent’s worst nightmare. His six-year-old daughter, Anna, is missing, together with her young friend, Joy, and as minutes turn to hours, panic sets in. The only lead is a dilapidated RV that had earlier been parked on their street. Heading the investigation, Detective Loki (Gyllenhaal) arrests its driver, Alex Jones (Paul Dano), but a lack of evidence forces the only suspect’s release.

Knowing his child’s life is at stake, the frantic Dover decides he has no choice but to take matters into his own hands. The desperate father will do whatever it takes to find the girls, but in doing so, he may lose himself, begging the question: When do you cross the line between seeking justice and becoming a vigilante?'


Thanks are due to IHJ for some new old photos of Jake, which do so much to us keep us going at these relatively quiet days. Rendition Jake is always a welcome bonus!

5 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! And a big welcome to newcomer Sherlie who posted in the last post's comments today.

I hope you're having a good week! Great to seen some pics of Jake and Hugh on set. I want more!

Have a good evening :)

tpe said...

Just to let you know, WDW: I have never again watched the Oscars after the 2006 fiasco. Nonetheless, I am happy for Ang Lee and Anne. Well deserved, IMO.

BBMISwear said...

Wonderful post!! I remember so well your Oscar/L.A. adventures, Kate - and although you didn't get to see Jake you had some very entertaining stories to tell indeed!

I loved looking back at some of those "Jake type places" in L.A. that you went to (and just by chance I went to some of those same places a few months after you during my visit to L.A. and I remember finding out afterward how we had missed each other by only a few months and being so mad - if we had only known each other better we could have coordinated our trips to do it together - damn). We will have to try to make that work out someday! :-)

I have to say when I clicked on WDW today and the first thing I saw was that top picture my heart skipped a few beats - how I love that photo of them in Venice, and that whole time period. Makes one feel happy and sad at the same time, ya know? *sigh*

On a lighter topic...I love that we're (slowly) getting more Prisoners news. I know this is a small detail that no one other than Massachusetts natives will care about but I am SO glad they changed the setting of the film from Brockton, MA to Coyners, PA (a made up town but since they already had things that said Coyners I guess it was easier - ha ha)! It was really bugging me they were referring to this city in Mass as a rural town - now their made up town can be as rural as they want. The only bummer - no New England accent for Jake. Oh well. Maybe another time (?!)

I was just thinking the other day, as you mentioned here, it's so nice that Stephanie is posting lots of new/old pictures of Jake during this time that we don't get to see many new ones - that won't last too long though - yay!

And also a welcome to Sherlie from me...it makes me smile when people discover Jake many years into his career...great discovery! You'll definitely have lots of fun catching up on the tons and tons of items about Jake that have surfaced for all to enjoy over the years - and Kate is right - this site right here is an archive of priceless articles, videos and stories - enjoy!!

Again, great post WDW - so nice to catch up on things with my morning tea - see you next time!

:-)

mermon said...

@Sherlie Yulvianti - welcome here! Your crush on Jake is similar to mine! One Jake's movie moved me to the other world. May,2010 - it was Prince Of Persia. I started to search for anything I could find about him. I wonder what was the movie that made you fall for Jake? Share with us.
I read your story about preOscars party 2008. You may say you did what you could to meet Jake, but it was not meant to be. But you were at the same hotel with Jake! And you had a chance to follow some Jake's favorite places.Very funny posts!
Finally we have the pictures from Prisoners set! Yoohoo! Jake has a new hairdo? Less hair?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you, Tpe, and I totally understand. That was not a good day. But it's good to see Anne and Ang get all the awards going.

Thanks so much, BBMISwear! :-) It was such a fantastic time and I doubt I'll ever forget it. I felt like an undercover agent, trying to sneak in, and failing so badly! But it was so exciting.

That picture in Venice is a very special one. Wonderful to have an excuse to post it.

So there has been a switch?! I was wondering about that. That makes more sense. And less annoying! They've gotta do right by Massachusetts! haha!

Thanks so much, Mermon and BBMISwear, for kind greetings to newcomers :)

Have a good evening everyone! So pleased it's Friday tomorrow.