Sunday 30 March 2014

Jake Gyllenhaal catch up - Everest and Enemy

Enemy is now showing to some good reviews across parts of the world, although it's been accompanied by some less good news for Everest. It's release ate has been postponed from February to September 2015. While it will give us the novel experience of a 3D Jake Gyllenhaal, it will be a shame to have to wait an extra seven months. There are more details here. The other Everest news is that it now has two more cast members - Robin Wright and Sam Worthington. This means that Everest will now feature my most favourite actor and my least favourite! This might mean that I have to watch it with one eye closed. More on the casting here.



Talking of Enemy, there is an interview here with its actress Sarah Gadon, which I haven't read as it has spoilers. In this interview with Denis Villeneuve, the director tells us it's perfectly all right to be confused by Enemy. It also contains a great bit from Denis about working with Jake:

'I was looking for an actor, I was looking for a strong actor, English actor — Anglophone, I mean, an English-speaking actor — I was looking for somebody profound, somebody that would have the strength, the ability, the creativity [to take on the role]. And I had seen him in Donnie Darko. I knew that he was playful, willing to do strange things. I knew that he was a strong actor because of Brokeback Mountain. He blew me away how strong he was, I think that is one of the most beautiful performances of the decade, what he did in that film. So difficult and so precise. I love Jake in Jarhead… every time I had seen him on the screen, I was fascinated. I was starting the casting, I learned that he was available, so I took a chance. I just took a chance. I wrote him a big, long letter, sending him the script. And he invited me to drink a glass of wine with him in New York, and we drank the whole bottle, and it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. I think what interested Jake in the project was not so much the story, but the process. What we will try to do with this movie.'


There is another clip from Enemy here.

I am off to Italy for a week tomorrow so I'll catch up with you properly when I'm back! Have a good week!

8 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! I hope you've had/are having a good weekend. See you in a few days!

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll enjoy these sunny days in Italy! Thanks for the great job, as usual! Kisses, Carlotta

Anonymous said...

"Everest" delay is good thing--later in year release shows studio's confidence film can perform in more competitive fall marketplace, and puts closer to award season contention.

Carol said...

Have a lovely holiday Kate. Enjoy. xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Kate and enjoy Italy! Btw did anyone see the pics of Jake leaving Heathrow, hiding his face? How strange. Wonder what was up with that, I've never seen him do that before. Hope alls ok. Separately, sad that he's departed London, since I'm going to be there next week. There goes any hope of running into him in Covent Garden.

- malavika

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Kate. I'm sorry about the delay of "Everest" :-( Enjoy your holidays in Italy, Kate. I'm looking forward for your interlude (as always).
Christina

Anonymous said...

Oh, not sure about 3D makes me feel sick!

Anonymous said...

Jake has bad eyes, so he doesn't like the flashes in his face from camera. I have same problem and always blink - all photos of me I have my eyes closed :-) That is why his head is covered, plus he's sick of paps chasing him. I wish they'd leave him be. Of course if sites didn't buy the photos the paps would not bother...