Wednesday 9 April 2014

Jake Gyllenhaal in conversation with Colm Toíbín and is there to be a Source Code 2?

I'm back! And with a nose suitably roasted by the southern Italian sun. I hope you've all had a good week. Things have been quiet in Gyllenism while I've been away but my eye was immediately caught by this news:

On 1 May at 7pm, Jake Gyllenhaal will be joining Booker nominated author Colm Toíbín as part of Columbia University's Year of James Baldwin celebrations. The event, which is free and open to all, takes place in NYC. You can find full details of where and how to attend here. Columbia University is, of course, Jake's old stomping ground and it's good to see him maintain the links despite his F for dinosaur studies. With my book review hat on, it's also great to hear of Jake discussing literature with Toíbín.


Talking of going back in time, there is news this week that Source Code 2 might be on the cards. The Tracking Board tells us: 'It’s recently been confirmed that Vendome Pictures and the Mark Gordon Company are producing SOURCE CODE 2, a sequel to the original film that starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan. The sequel has been highly anticipated, as many fans loved the first film, but felt it was rather open-ended. How many answers the sequel will provide is of course the question, and writer Ben Ripley is slated to return to the project.... There is still no word yet on whether Gyllenhaal or Monaghan will return in any capacity, but the original film’s somewhat open ending could lend to that possibility. With all the alternate time-lines and plot twists, anything could be augmented to allow them small roles.' There also appears to be no word on whether this would be something Duncan Jones would be interested in doing. But all sounds interesting.


Finally, The Boxing Drama seems to be taking off. There is news that Forest Whitaker may be about to sign up for Southpaw alongside Jake. Forest would play 'Titus "Tick" Willis, forced to retire from the ring after losing an eye and now working as a trainer of amateur fighters'. Jake is playing 'Billy “The Great” Hope, a left-handed prizefighter who wins a title but suffers a tragedy soon after and must put his life back together to earn the respect of young daughter'. Details here. Jake recently appeared in a roundtable with Forest (among others), following their appearance together in the Jamie Foxx video Blame It all those moons ago (in the days of The Hat).



This post comes with a warning that I may well be adding a WDW Italian Interlude to it later today!

15 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello everyone! Good to be back! I'll add some Interlude pics to this later today so be warned ;) I do wish I could go to that NYC event... Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, would love to a Source Code sequel but only if Jake had a leading role. Italy sounds lovely!
Amanda

Susan said...

Good to have you back, Kate. An Italian interlude sounds wonderful, I think I could use one.
Not sure about a sequel to Source Code. Of course I am all for any and every movie Jake wants to make, but history has shown that sequels can be difficult. If the script and direction are not just right (read: perfect) it will fall flat. I hope they get a whopper of a script that is so good Jake can't turn it down... but I'm not holding my breath.
Personally, I think I'd rather see more of Det. Loki, but that's another tricky one. The script must be something special to be worthy of Jake's talent no matter what the subject.
Ooops, is my Gyllenhaalism showing?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks, Amanda!

Thanks, Susan :) I'll add some pics later. And it is!!

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW I think you meant Forest Whittaker not Gorest :D

I am glad you had fun in Italy Try some aloe vera for the burns.

I am excited to hear there might be a Source Code 2 it would be wonderful if Jake and Michelle and Duncan could all be on board again.

Sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks for pointing out the typo, Sweetpea, I've corrected it. I'm not badly sunburned, it was a joke for the post. It would :)

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, Kate. I hope you had a wonderful time in Italy. Can't wait for your pics.
Christina

paulh said...

I can't see how there could be a sequel to "Source Code," which seemed to end with two people in the same body, but maybe that's because I didn't understand it properly.

I would *love* to see a sequel to "Prisoners!" I think Jake is capable of insisting on a strong script.

Sonja said...

I agree completely, Paul! I'd like to see Jake as Loki again, as long as he will also be directed by Denis!

I liked 'Source Code', but as good as Jake's performance was, I'm not too crazy about the film. Not into sci-fi all that much.

Yesterday, I re-watched 'Donnie Darko' again, the director's cut. I still don't understand it, but it's growing on me, I think. I bought the British 2-DVD-set on eBay recently and I have yet to watch the second DVD with all its features, but I'm looking forward to it!

BBMISwear said...

Welcome back Kate - I'm so looking forward to your picture from Italy!! I would love a Source Code sequel but it wouldn't be the same if Jake isn't in it so fingers crossed on that. Jake has been very busy these days with one project after another and lots of events in between - love it! Looking forward to more and more (I know, I'm greedy when it comes to Jake). :-)

paulh said...

I just got back from seeing "Rio 2," which has at least two Jake links: Jamie Fox and Anne Hathaway.

paulh said...

Apparently, a general rollout of "Enemies' in the USA is not in the cards. It's been shone at several film festivals, as well as Manhattan, but nowhere else.

Sonja said...

Are you sure? I think I saw a list of cities where it's playing.

It'll be in cinemas in many European cities pretty soon, so I can't imagine it's just Manhattan.

On the other hand, it'll be available on Amazon Instant Video tomorrow, April 22nd (US only). Why would they release it on Amazon, if it's still playing in cinemas? I'm confused.

paulh said...

I'm going by the release dates given at IMDB.com

There was a rollout on Internet, but a general US release was not listed.

Susan said...

Just my opinion but... I don't think Enemy was ever planned to be released to mainstream theaters in the U.S. It is definitely a European style art-house film, so the theaters where is has or is playing are the type that cater to classic and art-house movies. Multi-screen cineplexes will most likely never see it because most mainstream moviegoers in the U.S. don't like that type of movie.
On the other hand, if it does spectacularly well online, it might someday get a wider release in mainstream theaters. I've seen it once (in an art-house theater) on the big screen and now I'm looking for the disc.