Saturday 19 May 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal shines on Cannes - Part 2

I am surrounded by a flood of articles, photographs, videos, audio interviews and press cuttings - all about Jake Gyllenhaal's triumph at Cannes. Trying to unravel it all and bring myself back down to earth may take a while. The 'official' version will follow but, for the moment, here are some of the images that tell the story from my own point of view as one of the many spectators at this special place, on Jake's day. The photographs are, wth the exception of one (the good one), by me and so I apologise for those!

In Cannes, while walking round the harbour, amid all the festival marquees and hospitality centres, I didn't realise how close by Jake was...



At the red carpet itself, we got into position early, watching the crew get everything ready and also the viewers of the 3pm Zodiac playing on the red carpet. This shows how lucky we were in our position by the side of the steps.


Eventually, around 6pm, the press and media got into position, the surrounding trees were filled with viewers, as was every balcony and rooftop within sight, and the glamorous guests began to arrive. We were situated at the front, in an area completely unobscured because it was the entrance for the jury members to make their way into the theatre. Finally, around 6.55pm, Juliet Binoche and everyone else from French cinema and TV - as well as Toni Collette with a new blonde hairstyle and a very stern expression - were in their seats and the big screen revealed that the Zodiac crew had arrived (without Robert Downey Jr) and Jake was here. At this time we could only see what the screen showed us as the flat area of the carpet was obscured by the press and TV.


At last, Jake and the Zodiac crew - including a stunning Chloe Sevigny - were in front of us. I took a couple of pictures which are blurred because seeing Jake with your own eyes and holding a camera steady are not compatible activities. It might be my imagination, but David Fincher could be looking at me.



We were shown film of Jake and the crew entering the theatre to an ovation (see photo below) and, as the press and media packed their things away, we were treated to photographs on the big screen from the earlier press conference in Antibes. The guy with the no 23 on his shirt is standing where I had been sitting, standing, leaning for hours.



Photographs by WDW and JustJared.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"... seeing Jake with your own eyes and holding a camera steady are not compatible activities."

I can so relate! Wonderful experience -- thanks so much for sharing. Although I have met Jake's Dad, Stephen, I doubt I will ever be that close to Jake himself.

Anonymous said...

WDW that is close! The pictures give a very real feel of just what you went through. Eagerly awaiting more reports

Anonymous said...

Excellent coverage, WDW. Makes us poor unfortunate ones ALMOST feel like we were there.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks very much! I can't believe it was just too days away and jake really was close.

I wish you could have been with me.

Anonymous said...

Hate to sound just like him, but this is just Amaaazing! LOL!!! I am SO happy for you, WDW. And your first hand account is very well done. I'm just delighted you were there and that it worked out well.
Fincher does sem to be looking directly at you. Jake certainly "knew" you were there!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bobbyanna. I was really pleased to see David Fincher but I found it hard to focus on him - for some reason ;D - and now looking at this pic he really does seem to be looking at me! I'm never going to forget being at the end of the Gyllenfingerpoint - that's for sure.