Thursday 11 October 2007

Jake fits in lunch and a premiere - and talks Rendition (with the occasional b**p)

And so it begins... There is so much to report on tonight, I think you should sit back, kick your shoes off, open a bottle of something, open a box of something (preferably with soft centres), take some deep breaths and try and keep up with busy Jake. Let's being with...


10 October 2007 - Lunch

The 10 October kicked off for Jake with lunch at favourite Joan's on Third with a good friend (how I wish we had valet parking round here). It looks like the meal was too good to leave unfinished, so Jake left with a bag of extras and was in the mood for an infamous Gyllenhug, amid smiles.





10 October - LA Premiere

That evening, out of the blue - a la Zodiac LA premiere - a premiere for Rendition was held in LA at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences theater. No crowds, no fans, just press, cast and guests. The kind of event that makes me extol the virtues of the film festival to the high heavens. Movie fans are a crucial part of a film's success but it's a sorry state of affairs to see them take absolute bottom place in a studio's list of priorities (a stark contrast to London's celebration of Jamie Foxx and The Kingdom last week). But on the plus side, there were some fabulous photos from the premiere and from the party in Beverly Hills afterwards. It was also good to see the wonderful Meryl Streep in attendance.






Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep was at the premiere in LA last night and she took the time to talk about her long acquaintance with the young Jake Gyllenhaal: "He was a friend of my son (Henry) in grammar school and would come over to my house to play. I remember … his sister, Maggie, was having a '20s speakeasy party, and the boys were bartenders." The thought of Jake serving drinks from a bar... mine's a double.


Two Sides of a Story

Thanks to Stephanie at IHJ, all of us can now see last night's HBO special Two Sides of a Story: The Making of Rendition. It is spoilery in one sense, it spends some time talking about the filming of one explosive scene which dictates much of what else happens in Rendition. So if you don't want to see it just yet, remember to watch it after 19 October or when the film reaches your shores. It shows that the film was all about presenting a balanced story. In the words of screenwriter, the Lovely Kelley Sane, 'if you want security, this is the cost.' Gavin Hood praises Jake for creating a character that is detached while still maintaining a contact with the audience.


Gavin describes filming in Morocco as 'cinematically a dream' and the film shows his transformation of a town centre in this 'fictional North African country.' Meryl discusses the complexity of her role and expresses sympathy for those who are drawn to be public servants. Her character is 'standing in for America.' Reese Witherspoon reflects that she was so drawn to her role - that of an American living as part of a Muslim family - that she was the first to sign on for Rendition.


Cinemax press conference videos

In these two video links (thanks Jantoinette!), you can see Jake, Gavin, Peter and Reese discuss Rendition for Cinemax. It includes parts of the infamous pie chart scene but these are not spoilery. They are well worth watching for Jake's correction of Gavin for calling his character a CIA officer and not an analyst (this is in the first clip). Also in the first clip Gavin praises Jake for his good work, to which Peter pipes up saying Jake did 'a really f*****g good job.' Jake responds with 'Thank you very f*****g much.' Do yourselves a favour and watch the clip! Part 2 is here.


Yet again, Jake heaps praise on the shoulders of Matt Damon for his role in The Good Shepherd - 'I think that's a great performance.' He also says - showing that perfect comic timing again - he stole from Richard Burton and The Spy Who Came in From The Cold.


Pictures from IHJ - there are plenty more there! Source for picture of Meryl.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

must...watch...vids...right...away...



I am squirming in my seat and watching the clock in the bottom right of my monitor right now, but I have an hour of work left to go through before I can get home to see them... :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Fourplay! I know what it's like - I had such a long day waiting to see the photos and videos. You'll love them! Tell me what you think when you see them! :D

Anonymous said...

Downloading stuff right now. kicked off my heels haha and opened a bottle of Shiraz as per your directions, WDW - I worship at yr feet for offering goodies to this hungry, hungry hippo. . .

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pleased Pia! I'm on the Californian Dancing Bull Zinfandel myself - it goes perfectly withe Jake. It's typical - I finish this post and in the time it took me to write it (about 3 hours) I have enough for another! What is a WDW to do....

Anonymous said...

Wow, finally able to get back online and once again, WDW you shower us with TONS of goodies!

Great interviews and great pics from the premiere! Can't wait for all the interviews that are coming up.

I also loved the story Meryl said about Jake, Maggie and her son. Wish we had seen pictures of Jake and Meryl talking at the premiere.

Anonymous said...

WDW, thank you for all these goodies!! I've got the HBO thing safely tucked away but I watched the Cinemax video - brilliant! the way Jake says "actually, he's an analyst" is exactly like how I told the woman from JR "Actually, it's pronounced Jill-en-hall" lol! :D Loved that little exchange between Jake and Peter!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

HiGet Real - Good to see you again! There is just so much going on right now - I'm having to restrain myself from multiple posts!

Twisted Logic - it's a great video isn't it - and how I love to hear Jake curse - I know, I know but I can't help it! It's the way he does it with that expression on his face...

sass said...

I savor this site like ice cream and beer, and I'm going to grab a cold one while I read. I haven't finished reading yet; but I just had to stop a minute and let you know, how much I'm enjoying my wonderful gift-filled evening with you:)
sass

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Sass - thank you for that wonderful comment. You've made my night :) And I love to be associated with beer and icecream (but, speaking as a Brit - and bear in mind Jake is shortly on Blighty Shores - can that be a LUKEWARM beer?)

sass said...

Warm beer for you, but of course my dear:)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the swearing WDW! The things Jake does to us...And isn't Gavin Hood lovely too? :)

I can't stop wondering how close Jake is to us right now - he's getting closer, that's for sure ;)

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmwwwaaahh!! In case you're wondering,WDW,that was a smacking great kiss for all the hard work you've put in to bring us this fabulous post tonight(and its many excellent predecessors)!!

I'm downloading the HBO special as we speak but may save it to ease the withdrawals after I've seen "Rendition" at last. Not long to go now :-D

It would seem from the article in which Meryl is quoted talking about Jake as a boy (awww,cute,bar-tending at his big sis's party!)that Jake is cultivating the beard for his part in "Brothers",although that could be just a presumption on the part of whoever wrote the article. Should that be true we are obviously stuck with the beard for some time yet...although,despite being a devotee of the clean-shaven Gyllen-chin,I really think the beard is beginning to grow on me (do you think it's my hormones?) No,what I mean is,Jake looks so stunning in the Cinemax clips,he's about the only man I know who can have a beard and still knock my socks off (and not just my socks ;-) !)

There's a picture of him somewhere (I'm sure WDW will be able to find it,if ever she has the time)where he is playing basketball,wearing a blue t-shirt and sporting a beard. He is looking upward,taking aim at the basket,but concentrating solely on his face,the intent expression,the intense eyes and the beautiful bearded bone-structure he looked eerily and ethereally Christ-like and I just caught a glimpse of that aura again tonight in these clips.

His language,however,is less than holy here,but God,I love it when he talks dirty! The exchange with Peter,who is also a real cutie, was really funny and I'm not surprised Peter was so much in awe of Meryl Streep who is just a goddess. The various clips I've seen of her in "Rendition" all belong in a master-class for any budding thespian.

Oh crikey,look at the time,just 24 hours to go. This time tomorrow night,folks,we'll all be wetting ourselves with excitement,fingers poised on the record button. Jake,you've made me a born-again teenager and I love it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful stuff! I thot the HBO piece was great. And links to convo. I love to hear Jake say "fuck" - glad to know Im not the only one! He's earthy and he's real.

And yes, TL, I love Gavin Hood, also - his passionate sensibilty!

As with Jake-in-Cannes, I consider you guys who are Close and Closer our Representatives and even though across the pond, I feel Close and Closer myself: it's thrilling!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sass!

Twisted Logic - Gavin is wonderful - he's calm, collected and passionate all at the same time and I love to see those hugs between Gavin and Jake.

And yes - Jake's getting closer :D But so briefly...

Hey Nadine! Thanks for that big kiss! Yep, the beard is for Brothers - see post tomorrow night - and I coud get used to it. To be honest, it seems irrelevant as my appreciation for Jake is based much moe than on looks. I know those basketball pics - I must try and find one for tomorrow's post just for you! I love the cursing too - shame on me!

Yes, less than 24 hours to go...

Hi Passionately Pia - youre not the only one at all - I love to hear Jake being real.

Jake's visit here will be so, so brief. A big case of so near so far. But it really is absolutely thrillig and when I'm in London tomorrow I know where my thoughts will be :)

Anonymous said...

Happen to be watching Access Hollywood, where they showed a quick clip of the Rendition premiere in LA. The interviewer did happen to mention that Jake's beard is for a role! So, chances are were all thinking the same thing, for Brothers.

Great post today WDW, thanks. Hope to be back later this evening to talk more.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Jantoinette! Good to see you. Yes, I saw that and I was going to put it with the rest of tonight's post but I'll put it up tomorrow so we can have the full beard debate then as we wait for JR!

Anonymous said...

Great thread WDW - I'm going to wait on the Cinemax special; and just enjoy the clips and premiere photos. How nice to hear Gavin's voice, and I enjoyed hearing how Jake prepared for the role - and Gavin saying what a difficult job Jake had to convey what his character was feeling to the audience without being able to show them - but we know he excels at that from seein him in Brokeback and Zodiac. And yes, I also love when a man talks real. ;) Can't have any Shiraz tonight as I have to work tomorrow, but definitely on the weekend!

Well, I am beyond excited about this movie by now, and having so much sympathy for Reese's character everytime I see her clip, and I've always loved Meryl Streep, and enjoyed hearing Peter's and Reese's thoughts on their roles and working with her. One week to go, and no sooner do we catch our breath and it will be time for Brothers to start filming. I absolutely love the facial hair. I've already made plans to see Rendition at least twice! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant to say the HBO special, and Cinemax clips. I'll catch up on all of the spoilery info after I've seen Rendition. Can't wait for next week and all of the Jake appearances - as the of the Ramones said, I wanna be sedated! ;)

Anonymous said...

BTW if Jake's beard is for Brothers, a coupla of you guys owe me a pint, I think. . .

Iggy said...

Thank you for the links to the videos. I loved them especially the first one...Jake is to die for in it..

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina! So glad you liked the clips. The cinemax clips are so great - a different kind of mood and I loved the Jake and Peter banter and cursin.

Just a week to go - I have the day off and plan to wallow in it and catch up on the exciting week.

Hi Positively Pia - love to buy you a pint anytime *)

Welcome Rosiet! Thanks for commenting, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks :D