Tuesday 9 October 2007

Jake in space (continued); Gavin screens Rendition in LA tonight

The story of Jake going to the moon seems to have caught the imagination of the movie net world, and the wider press, and appears to have the same air of distinct possibility about it as Brothers did. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is great news. The prospect of two forthcoming films (at least) in quick succession can only be a good thing and I would have thought that Brothers and the Moon Film will provide something for all Jake's fans.


After a few hours of coming to terms with the idea of Jake floating in zero gravity, I've had a look at the people associated with this unnamed Dreamworks project. The director - Doug Liman - is possibly best known as the producer of Matt Damon's highly successful and well regarded Bourne films. More dubiously, he is the director and producer of a forthcoming revival of Knight Rider - blimey. Liman was the director of Mr & Mrs Smith and associate producer of one of my favourites, Kissing Jessica Stein.

Liman was the original co-writer of the script for the Moon film along with John Hamburg who, curiously, penned an entirely different species of movie, which includes Meet the Fockers and Meet the Parents - although he also wrote Zoolander. So kudos for that one. But perhaps the two styles didn't gel after all because Mark Bowden has been called in to rewrite the script. Bowden was responsible for the original book on which Black Hawk Down was based. It is also interesting that one of the producers, Alli Shearmur, was involved with the production of Zodiac.


Having originated in Variety, the story is now everywhere and, even the Guardian has leapt onto this potential role for Jake. Other accounts can be found in, for example, Cinematical and IGN. It's always good to see Jake getting this much interest and, coinciding with the release of, and publicity for, Rendition as well as the news about Brothers, this is a busy and extremely exciting time.

Gavin to visit UCLA tonight for Rendition

For those of you in LA, there's a chance to see Rendition tonight, in the company of Gavin Hood, on the campus of UCLA (Gavin studied at UCLA Extension after leaving South Africa). The screening will be followed by a question and answer session with Gavin, actor Yigal Naor, UCLA Burkle Center Director, Professor Kal Raustiala, and author of Spying Blind: The CIA, the FBI, and the Origins of 9/11, Professor Amy Zegart.


The event is free and you don't need a ticket - it's just first-come first-served. Location: Humanities Building, Room A51, Los Angeles, CA 90095. The movie is on from 4 to 6pm and the discussion from 6 to 7pm.


And finally...

... I had a reminder today that a certain film is shortly to be released. I had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch with Twisted Logic today and, as if by fate, she found this on the streets of London and managed to find a gap in the traffic to take this photo (Thanks for a great time TL!). I had to go and have a look myself - roll on the 19th. How great is it to hae Jake's face looming large and beautiful over the streets of London!


Edited to add: Incidentally, I saw Ryan Philippe filming this evening in London and he made me miss my train - They wouldn't let me walk down the street and it was such a looooong take (Fincher eat your heart out).

Includes pictures from IHJ.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

O gosh Amy Zegart and Gavin Hood in conversation at ucla.

you can hear Amy Zegart speak on terrorism on UTUBE - three sections, well worth watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-rc04t_d8M

wonder if there will be report of
this discussion. I hope so!

Jake on London billboard! its like out of a movie - (forgive terrible syntax but Jake ain't no picnic when it comes to syntax, either. .)
WDW dancing in the rain, with background of billboard, I can see it now. . . or Jake comes down from Billboard, does a Fred Astaire number - or. . . or. . .

the timing of this film is excellent - ! - so it seems to me.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Positively Pia - It sounds like such an interesting evening at UCLA. I'm fascinated hearing Gavin talk about the subject and about his career and training in South Africa. I spent a brief time in the country and I'm still very interested in it and I hadn't thought before the LA press conference of the mortivation that had given Gavin for Rendition.

Absolutely fabulous to see Jake on the billboard in London. It was so wet but Jake changed all that. We couldn't be more ready for this film - I've booked the day off - I'm ready to go!

I saw Ryan Philippe filming (as I added to the post) but that was as nothing compared to seeing Jake on the billboard.

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW! Thanks so much for lunch today:) I couldn't believe it when I saw the poster! I think an "OMG!" or two might have left my mouth ;) So glad I did see it and that you got to as well;) It's not quite the Calvin Klein billboards I think we discussed here at one time, but it'll do well enough for now;) I didn't notice the gap in the traffic, there was plenty going by at the time as I recall! they probably all stopped to stare at the crazy woman standing in the pouring rain taking a picture of a billboard, of all the million things there are to take pictures of in London!

I think this "Moon Film" might be right up TL jr's street too, she loves all that stuff. Not sure how I feel about watching a Jake movie with her though - my reaction will probably make her die of embarrassment!

Just have to add, the first pic in this post is one of my all time faves:) The faraway look in the dreamy eyes, the soft silky hair just begging to be played with, the lip biting, the chest hair!, and very acceptable level of beardness;) Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

O Twisted Logic you were dancing in the rain, too! wish you two had been together and that we had a VIDEO!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Twisted Logic - hope it din't take you long to dry out! And thanks for lunch too :D Great photo by the way in very difficult circumstances.

Most of Jake's recent films have had quite high ratings - BBM, Zodiac and Rendition are all 15 certificate (in UK). Jarhead too probably. I wonder what Brothers and the Moon film will be?

[We have to come up with a name for this Moon thing.....can't keep calling it that]

That's one of my absolute favourite pictures too, I thought it id just the job of showing an aspirational explorer of space :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia - I fear I wasn't looking at my best for a video - it was the sort of rain where it comes at you from all directions, Forrest Gump style. But we were together :)

Anonymous said...

Lol Pia! If we'd been able to video it, it wouldn't have been so much dancing in the rain as trying to jump out of the way of ignorant prats who think it's funny to drive straight through puddles when innocent Jake fans just happen to be standing right by the kerb looking up at His Gorgeousness! But it was great to see, especially in such wonderful company:)

As for the Moon Film rating, with it being Dreamworks it might have a fairly young rating?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

innocent Jake fans - speak for yourself ;)

I kind of like Jake's films to be rated 15 or R as it means they have angst (and maybe other types of behaviour...).

Anonymous said...

Well, that driver wasn't to know whether we're innocent or not! we do still have the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty in this country don't we?;)
Unless he's been earwigging on our conversation;D

I agree about the ratings for Jake's films - the higher the better as far as I'm concerned!

Anonymous said...

Rendition screening at UCLA - wow, I wish I wasn't 3000 miles away, I'd love that. Sounds like such an interesting Q&A discussion. Please come to Boston too! ;) I'll listen to Amy Zegart on UTUBE, Pia. I hope there's a report on the discussion at UCLA as well.

How great to see a Rendition billboard in London, TL and WDW!

I'm glad to hear about all of Jake's upcoming projects. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW..I saw the news about Jake's new project on Variety...I read it everyday...so I knew you would have something on the website..plus yummy pictures of Jake. And.."YAY"..I was right. And that huge billboard advertising Rendition is fabulous...once in awhile they will have an ad like that on a billboard on a road I travel...but not lately..darn!!I can just imagine what a treat it must be for those Londoners who get to pass by that billboard on a daily basis. I am simply thrilled about Jake's new project. I love sci -fi..and whilst this new endeavor has not yet been billed as such..I am looking forward to the futuristic bent it might have. Thanks a million for this posting...Michele

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! Wonder is that Rendition poster near the location where Ryan is shooting his scenes? (Ouch!) I'm overjoyed at the news Jake has lined up two films now. I'm hoping for three or four...or five total!

Anonymous said...

Wonder is that Rendition poster near the location where Ryan is shooting his scenes? (Ouch!)

???

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone :) Had a terrible start to the day so good to see you all.

Back later - Jake, you'd better pack your brolly for London.

Anonymous said...

A film about lunar colonisation and private space travel?

Am I the only one hoping that Jake is taking the role of Wallace in the live-action remake of 'A Grand Day Out'?

sass said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sass said...

WDW, As always, you have tons of fantastic Jake news. The London Rendition billboard poster is a million times bigger than any I've seen here in NYC, but I haven't looked on Time Square:) I think I'll go there this weekend with my camera, ready to snap a photo at a moments notice:)
Pia, thank you so much for the youtube Amy Zegart videos. I'll download them later today and enjoy them tonight:)
This much Jake news in the press makes me giddy with excitement.
sass
edit to remove a word:)

Anonymous said...

An editorial in today's aalon.com by Sen Edward Kennedy re: torture -

http://salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/10/10/kennedy_on_torture/

Being as, sass says, giddy, also, about the bigger than life Jake on billboards and the shows coming up next week, Im also wondering how Jake's going to handle the increasing attention upon the "rendition" issue - is Naomi sending him fifteen e-mails a day?
I feel like sending him fifteen e-mails a day.

Guess I need to take my meds, although I dont take meds. Too early in the day for Shiraz. Must get to work.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone :) I'm intrigued to know how it went at UCLA last night.

I went to have a look at the billboard again at lunchtime because the sun was out - Jake was looking lovely. If anyone sees a good billboard or a poster in an interesting spot, please take a pic and send it to me! So have a good look Sass!

Hey bmg Am I the only one hoping that Jake is taking the role of Wallace in the live-action remake of 'A Grand Day Out'? - I have only one thing to say to that - Wensleydale anyone?

Pia - it's difficult to know how Jake's own interrogation will go on the shoes but I doubt there'll be too much that's controversial. We need to put him on a different kind of show for that. Have a good day at work, mine's nearly over now, thank heavens and then after a long drive there's a bottle of CA Merlot with my name on it :)

Anonymous said...

Alert!!! That time and date posted about the Biography channel is incorrect. Biography Channel.com posted only one showing of Jake Sunday October 14th @ 8AM. Get your DVR or Vcr ready.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - thanks for the alert - much appreciated. I'm going to leave the time up for the moment because it's still listed in my paper for tomorrow at the times shown - so just in case.... :)

Anonymous said...

When you get a minute .. please check your PM's at IHJ. It's important. =)I need ya! =P

- Stephanie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Stephanie! I just PMd you and emailed you :) I sent you some pics.

Anonymous said...

I knew I remembered something else Jake-related about Frank Gardner. He wrote one of those "week in the life of" columns once in the London Standard magazine, and mentioned seeing Jarhead with his wife; said how much he liked it and how realistic it all was.