Friday 12 October 2007

Jake on Jonathan Ross - initial impressions

I think this was an uncomfortable interview - possibly because Jonathan kicked it off by focusing on Brokeback Mountain which, clearly, Jonathan considers an important film, but Jake didn't need to see that scene where they left the mountain again - he said he's seen it 'a million times'. Jake was clearly disappointed to have been introduced with that clip again - he referred to it again later on.


The Four Poofs and a Piano wore Jake t-shirts as expected and sand Jake the Peg (?) - the old Rolf Harris song about the character called Jake with three legs.

Jonathan asked Jake how he could reconcile his flying with caring for the evironment, and so Jake persistently said through the interview that he swam across the ocean. Jonathan said that having seen Jake's stomach muscles at the beginning of Rendition he wasn't surprised. Jake at this point said he had to leave so he could swim back...


A clip was shown of Jake shoulder popping as a boy in City Slickers and the audience all went 'Aaaahhhh!' and Jake said he remembered shooting the scene in the classroom as if it were yesterday.

Jake said that he'd known Meryl, Reese and Alan for a long time, even though he didn't act with them in the film. Jonathan said that his job was made easier by loving the film - good to hear. Jake spoke eloquently, if briefly, about the practice of rendition. There was a great clip too from the film and Jake discussed how he and Meryl had filmed the phonecall - he was on the line for her - while he had a recording of Meryl. A great scene though.


When asked what Jake would have been if not an actor, instead of saying a professional swimmer, Jake said he would have been a farmer.

Finally, Jonathan asked Jake if he were single, for the ladies and for the band. Jake replied 'On behalf of the ladies I am, on behalf of the band I'm not - but I love the shirts!'

Oh yes, Jake's still in the Green Room having to listen to Jordan and Peter - as am I - sigh. Actually judging by Jake's expression and clapping in the Green Room, he's enjoying it!

Pictures from IHJ.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot understand why Ross is rated as a chatshow host. He talks over his guests - as he did with Jake - and tends to make himself the focus of the interview. This was meant to be about a new film, not about Brokeback (brilliant as it is) or City Slickers. I hope Jake is having a word with his agent...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I agree anon - I'm a fan of Jonathan Ross but I was disappointed that queestions were mainly about past projects - JR asked Jordan and Peter some interesting questions. It would've been good if Jake could have been challenged a little. He responds so well to off the wall questions. Best not to bore him from the outset.

Anonymous said...

Where's the video?

Ruby said...

Good summary, WDW. I think Jake was surprised that they showed a clip of BBM. But Jonathan did show respect to the movie and complimented Heath too. More Rendition talk was needed though.

And Katie and Peter started out ok, but I thought they became embarassing towards the end there, with the comments about the Beckhams.

Anonymous said...

hey, that was a GREAT SUMMARY WDW!!! Thank you so much for that, I am waiting for the vid to show up at good-old-dependable IHJake. ((((WDW))))

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Ruby. To be honest I found the whole Jordan and Peter thing cringeworthy.

JR's deep respect and fondness for BBM really shone out - it could be a pain I suppose but Jake has to get used to this. I loved how Jake talks about Mooccan food and how he had the same meal almost every day - a tangine?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon! Thank you! I am assured that a video will be along shortly - it was too long and so is being split into two parts.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

I wasn't disappointed with Jake in the slightest tonight but I was with Jonathan Ross. I thought Jake made the best of a very bad job by JR,who was way off the top of his game, and so far up his own backside he was wearing himself as a wig.

From the minute he asked Jake,waiting in the Green Room,whether he'd played Arthur or Martha in BBM, I just knew it was going to be one of those nights and from the look on Jake's face at that "joke",I think he knew it too.

Some of Jake's laughter and applause in the
Green Room when Katie and Peter were lowering the tone so successfully later on,to me seemed more out of embarrassment and disbelief at what someone had just dared to say on national TV. He certainly looked pretty gob-smacked at Katie P's foul-mouthed dismissal of Victoria Beckham,which felt somewhat uncalled for to me.

Jake seemed to really appreciate Jules Holland though,who was genuinely entertaining and affable and undeniably famous for a genuine talent and not for getting his silicone-enhanced boobs out for the lads.

Have to admit I said to my husband as soon as the BBM extract was played "Oh for God's sake,not this clip again!" and it would seem that Jake agreed with me. The one triumph of the evening was that my other half was willing to admit that Jake seems a really nice bloke. That's quite a compliment about his "love rival"(like,I should be that lucky ;-) ).

It was lovely to hear Jake mention Heath - loved the joke about the eroticism of Heath,as Ennis,watching him as Jack,popping his shoulder, and to hear him say of Mr.Ledger "He's great"(present tense).

I doubt that Jake would consider that particular interview worth coming all this way for. Let's hope that JR can redeem himself by conducting a much better one to be featured on "Film 2007" next Tuesday. I really hope such an interview is scheduled/in the can and not that there'll just be a review of the film,although that should be glowing according to Ross's comments tonight.

I must thank the poster(I'll go back to check who it was in a mo) who put out the heads up on the previous post tonight that "Rendition" was to be discussed on the BBC 10 o'clock news. It was only a brief item,with a tiny snippet of a comment from Jake and some great clips from the film,but I was chuffed to be able to record it. Jake talking about a film project on the BBC's flagship news programme - that just shows the stir he and the film are drumming up in advance of its release.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Jake will find his interview with Frank Gardner far more interesting,topical,intelligent and compelling. Can't wait for that!

Well that's my initial,typically long-winded take. Eager to see what everyone else thinks!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Nadine what a great commentthanks - and I agree that Jake gave all he could. I'm rewatching it now and I appreciate it mch more the second time round. I could have done without all of the Jordan and Peter crap - that's for sure.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch it back,WDW, and savour just Jake.
Night night,folks,sweet dreams Jake :-)

Anonymous said...

Night, Nadine, WDW and all -

Thanks for the great assessments, guys, I can't wait to see for myself. Jake did look great getting in to Heathrow too. It still sounds like an interesting interview (can't wait to see!), but I agree, I think the one coming up with Frank Gardner will be really good. I didn't know Mr. Garder's background, so thanks for that information, and I'm looking forward to seeing the interview, if possible! I remember Jools Holland from Squeeze, whom I loved. :)