Thursday 22 November 2007

Jake on why awards matter and the case for Rendition

Just a month ago, some of us were incredibly lucky and were able to be in Rome to support Rendition and have an amazing adventure (in what seemed like sub-zero temperatures). It's hard to believe now that it was just a few weeks ago that we got to see Jake walk down the red carpet, absolutely in command of his experience. It's always good to see new film emerge of Jake's walkabout. This video contains images from other stars' big nights in Rome, but it begins with Jake and includes a question about what his Bafta and Oscar nomination mean to him. The Baftas will always be incredibly special to me, and all because of one Jake Gyllenhaal and the events of February 11 2007, but Jake's comments have an irony to them now, knowing as we do that Paramount didn't put much store in Zodiac for awards and nor can New Line be bothered to promote Rendition for the gong season.


The interviewer asks Jake out of the blue what awards mean to him. After pulling a delightful face and reassuring the interviewer that it was an important question, Jake says: 'It's obviously an honour because of the people before you who've been nominated and have won and... you carry that with you when you're nominated and that's an honour. And then I also think it's important in terms of... just selling a movie. It's very important cos smaller movies don't get seen as much as bigger ones do if they're not recognised with awards, so that's a wonderful thing.'


There is also another video from the very serious looking press conference in Rome, in which both Jake and Reese answer questions about the motivations and choices of their characters. If you can't speak Italian, this will give you a good chance to brush up on the old lipreading skills. Thanks to a WDW reader for the link to this.


Why people should see Rendition by Kelley Sane

As we're talking about Rendition tonight, I thought you might be interested to read this fascinating, detailed interview with the fascinating and Gorgeous Kelley Sane, written by a reporter who was also in the Toronto theatre on that incredible, always memorable night of 7 September. The interviewer notes that this night seemed to launch Rendition into success, receiving as it did a standing ovation. The audiences were subsequently disappointing 'And screenwriter Kelley Sane, the architect of the whole thing, was left wondering what had happened. Last week, I caught up with Sane to discuss the origins of his career, the film, and the struggle to find an audience for a film that feels as if it has been rendered, if you will, from the public's attention (but in my opinion merits a second look)...'


I had no idea Kelley had been a photographer of the rich, famous and beautiful, but the interview also touches on Kelley's life as a student and tennis player in LA and presents an interesting portrait of how this writer writes. A discussion of Rendition's inspiration is followed by Kelley's assessment of why audiences have been so split:

'Well, you know, I’m not that surprised by that, you know? I understand, you now, everyone has their own opinion. And, you know, it’s a controversial subject. And, you know, the structure of the movie is a little controversial. And so I understand, you know, people having some issues with it. But, you know, at the same time, I’m not a Civics teacher. This is a piece of entertainment, first. You know, this is supposed to entertain, and if it informs and creates a debate, that’s great, but first I want to create something that’s entertaining. And so, you know, for some people who don’t like it, the best I can suggest is see it a second time, and I think that you’ll really appreciate it more the second time, because then some of the literal nuances of the story that person might be able to appreciate a little more. Because it’s a complex story and, you know, the characters are complex and, you know, sometimes, I think, you know, first-viewing, you know, you’re expecting, you know, The Kingdom, or you’re expecting, you know, something different, and you get, you know, what I consider to be a smart film, and you may not be on guard, and you may not be ready for that. So see it a second time. And if you see it a second time and you still don’t like it, then I’ll accept that, you know? But I just think it’s a complex film and it’s good to see it twice, I think.'


And on a more personal note: 'I hope it makes a lot of money. [laughs] I hope a lot of people see it. I want it to be successful, ‘cause I want to continue working in this genre and, you know, if the film is successful, then it will allow me to continue to work in this world. And so first of all I want to be successful, because I have other stories—other issue-driven stories—to talk about and, you know, if this one is successful, then it will allow me to do that.' I hope Kelley is able to do that.


And a Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it - and may you have a better time with your loved ones than this cheery lot.



Includes pictures from IHJ.

21 comments:

twistedlogic said...

Thanks for bringing us all these great links WDW! Jake sort of speaking Italian!! *faints* The other video started to give me a bit of a headache tbh,trying to listen to it in English but picking up the odd Italian word here and there! It sounds intersting though, so I'll have another look later:)

Loved the interview with The Gorgeous (and Multi Talented Kelley Sane) - very intersting and insightful and detailed, as you say. Even though he only mentioned Jake once;) I have to admit, it never ocurred to me that

*******SPOILER*******

Anwar might have been guilty and given the false names on purpose

*******END OF SPOILER******



Kelley is right about it needing two viewings to appreciate properly. I saw it twice, and I wish it could've been more.I can't wait for the DVD!!!!
Great interview, but I wish they'd cut out all the "you knows" - it's so annoying!!! Ok, I know I say "you know" all the time but at least I don't do it in print;)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the US, and elsewhere! And yeah, let's hope you have a better time than the Newsome-Twists!:D I do love that scene - go Jack!!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL - How are you doing? I like that - 'Jake sort of speaking Italian' - could do with way way more of that. You could watch the other one with the sound off - I did ;) It's a bit muddling. I'm so glad you liked the interview with GK (Gorgeous Kelley) - I loved it. I think on the 7th or 8th time I saw Rendition that spoiler thought did occur to me. I still don't know...

Definitely looking forward to the DVD! The Zodiac and Rendition DVDs are going to have to keep us going while Jake gets on with Brothers and The Moon for us.

Anonymous said...

Dinner was heavenly for me today! Happy Thanksgiving to you all who celebrate it, although I suppose you all across the Atlantic don't? That's okay--one doesn't need an occasion to stuff him/herself! Mine was much better than the one in the Twist household, yes it was!

I don't think I will be eating again until Sunday, actually lol.

Thanks much for the videos, as always!

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! I love the sound of ANYONE speaking Italian but when it's Jake...there are no words! We could definitely do with some more of that - how hard can it be for someone to come up with a script that involves Jake speaking Italian? ;) Unfortunately, poor as my Italian is, it's still better than my lip reading, so I don't think watching with the sound down will help, but thanks for the tip!

You're right about the DVDs,it's very thoughtful of Jake to make sure we have Zodiac and Rendition to keep us busy until Brothers and the Moon Film;) I wish at least one of them was out for Xmas though:(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Fourplay - Glad you had a good meal - just a normal day at work here in Blighty with just a cheese sandwich - sigh...

Hey TL - you never know - Rendition came out a lot faster than intended... I'm not giving up hope that Brothers will be out by the end of the year...

twistedlogic said...

I guess you're right WDW! To be fair, it's only been 5 weeks sonce Rendition came out and 3 weeks since I saw it last, but it seems like AGES ago:( Never enough Jake...

I would have thought Brothers will be out before the end of next year if they're starting filming later this month. I really can't wait fo that one, it sounds like a really good story. It'd better be worth Jake having that beard!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm fully confident (or self-deceiving) that Sheridan has had a change of heart with the beard and it won't last until the opening credits ;) If I say that enough maybe it'll come true TL?

twistedlogic said...

It can't hurt to try! But just to make this clear for Mr Sheridan, I take it you mean there would be a scene just before the opening credits, where we actually see Jake shaving the beard off(preferably naked!)? I'd hate to think I dreamt up that little scene for nothing;) And Jake shaving worked marvellously in BBM, so come on Jim Sheridan, get our JaKey to shave on screen and there could be an Oscar in it for you;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I hope those instructions are written down TL and in the post to New Mexico ready for the first day of shooting next week :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone :) I hope all those celebrating yesterday are good today and putting their feet up, or are you shopping? For those of us elsewhere, one more day of work to go :D

agent_krycek said...

Brothers opening scene.....

Jake get released from prison looking all beardy, scruffy and a wee bit badass, goes to cheap hotel (I'm channelling BBM here) has a loooooooong hot shower (channelling Moonlight Mile), steps out of the shower, ties a white, ill fitting, far too short, towel loosely round his waist (channelling my own fantasies here) and proceeds to the mirror, shaves slowly and then gazes soulfully into the mirror as he contemplates how he ended up there....

Do I win the job as script writer then ;-)

Speaking of Brothers, is it just me who's mightly tempted to get the original, just to see what lovely scenes we might be getting, plus a warning on how many hankies to take with me.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Great job Agent K - Not only the new manager of England FC but also Brothers scriptwriter :D I'm liking the channelling... Can I request that the motel is run down enough that it doesn't have doors or curtains on its showers?

I'm going to avoid the original Brothers as I want Jake's version to be a total surprise and also, quite possibly, a little bit different.

Good to see you! Our US cousins have abandoned us to do the washing up or go shopping :)

twistedlogic said...

Hey Agent Krycek - great minds think alike;) This writers strike needn't be a problem for Jake, we can all write his scripts here! Of course there's the small matter of my left wing principles to overcome,that might make it a bit tricky for me to become a scab, but the image of Jake in a towel would soon help me get over that!

Personally I'm not at all tempted to watch the original Brothers cos I like to avoid spoilers but if you do watch it, please let us know if it's a "plenty of tissues and no mascara" job. And if the tissues are to wipe away tears or stuff in one's mouth to avoid loud sighing/screaming when Jake appears in all his towel clad glory;)

chillinwitgyllen said...

Morning WDW, today is a shopping day for me.

Agent...too funny, you deserve the best writer award for Brothers.

Where oh where could Jakey be, oh where, oh where could he be?

Hope everyone has an awesome day.

Xenia said...

Thanks for the videos WDW, finally we got to see some...we were right there damnit...:)

Of course, since I AM Italian the press conference didn't bother me. ;)

@Twistedlogic : Jake speaking Italian would be a KILLER!:D

@Agent_krycek : I bought the original 'Brothers' and watched it! I wanted to have an idea of what direction this film could take and I did...very interesting...:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL - all these images in my head. You and Agent K would be perfect for Brothers or any other Jake movie - although I think Jake might detect a formula after a while!

Morning CWG Enjoy your shopping! Hope you had a good time yesterday :) It would make sense for Jake to pop over to London so that he could escape all the shopping crowds, no?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia - isn't it just brilliant and amazing thinking we were there!! Glad you enjoyed the videos and it is so good to see Jake having a go at speaking other languages. I loved it when he had a go at a kind of French when interviewed during theTour de France last year.

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW!I'm sure no-one on here is short of script ideas for Jake;) By formula I take it you mean intelligent,moving, thought-provoking drama, with some humourous moments chucked in to lighten the mood. Any nudity would of course be totally essential to the plot and not gratuitous in any way;D
And yes, the sound of Jake speaking French...*swoon* there's a thought- Jake's next film should involve him spending a summer travelling around Europe, speaking different languages (and removing his shirt) in every country.I haven't figured out the details yet, but it's a start;)

Enjoy your shopping day, CWG!

agent_krycek said...

Glad you all liked it, currently working on Jake, half naked, sweaty, in a field, grappling with a hoe (I'm talking farming impliments, wash your minds out immediately ;-) ) I know there's apparently no farm in the original Brothers, but I feel it's intregal to the plot :D

Lovely pieces of film again WDW, so nice to see some stuff I missed first time round - thank you

Anonymous said...

Sometime ago, on another blog, there was a regular poster who suggested it be put into Jake's contract that he have a shower in every film at least once. And that we, via the camera, could verify such an undertaking. I support any and all efforts for Jake to speak foreign languages while shirtless in awide range of countries and settings. I think this shows initiative on our part and imagination. I think it is a winning formula all wyas around! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Agent K I'm with you with the film motif. I know the film's probably not set on a farm, but it should be. Jake out there in the fields... The sun sets behind him... It's very hot and he's sweating profusely...

Hi Bobbyanna - hope you and your family had a good day yesterday :) I think we should win our award for our services to the film industry by uncovering the formula to the perfect movie (so long as it's starring Jake Gyllenhaal of course) :D