Sunday 18 November 2007

Jake's lovely and amazing, and Paramount's shoddy Zodiac games

I saw Lovely and Amazing for - I'm ashamed to say - the very first time on this wet and dark Sunday afternoon and I rather enjoyed meeting Jake's Jordan. Apparently this was the film that made a certain young actress Kirsten Dunst sit up and take notice: "I saw this film Jake was in, Lovely and Amazing, and I was like, 'He is so hot! He's gorgeous.' I think I told her [Maggie, of course], 'I have a crush on your brother'."


Director Nicola Holofcener, in all her publicity interviews for Lovely and Amazing, never had enough good words to say about the young Jake. 'Jeanne McCarthy, the casting director, brought in Jake Gyllenhaal - she has great taste and really understood the script. He came in with this big pouf of hair and his big blue eyes and I was sold. He was sexy but awkward - the perfect combination for the role of Jordan. He had to be young and gawky enough so that we feel the affair is weird and uncomfortable, yet he had to be just manly enough so it would believable' (source).


In an interview recorded on the set of the film, Nicola said '"Jeanne McCarthy was the casting director, she introduced me to Jake Gyllenhaal, I didn't know who he was," says Holofcener. Gyllenhaal turns in a pitch-perfect performance as Jordan, a coworker of Catherine Keener's much older Michelle in the film. Again I dig myself deeper into the trench of a flatterer, telling her how great Gyllenhaal was in the film. "Wasn't he? But it's funny," says Holofcener, "I felt the same way, like once I met him I couldn't picture anybody else in the role." "Right, because who else can pull off the kind of geeky young kid but –" "- be sexy enough. Not very many people. It was just between him and a few others and I was so crazy for him, I was so afraid it wouldn't work out. You know, when you're negotiating the contract and stuff, it's up in the air." Luckily for Holofcener, things worked out with Gyllenhaal, as well as first choices Brenda Blethyn, Emily Mortimer, and Catherine Keener, for whom the part of Michelle was written.'


When interviewed by fellow Lovely actress Emily Blunt, Jake's older woman Catherine Keener said of Jake: I had a blast with him. People have asked was it weird because he was so much younger. I guess I was so in the mindset of Michelle and the story and she is so immature it seemed sort of an appropriate guy for her [laughter]. It wasn't freakish at all to me. And so therefore if it's going to be a guy who's only seventeen why not Jake Gyllenhaal ! It was fantastic! He's adorable, fun, enthusiastic. We were laughing all the time. It was three o'clock in the morning the first night we're working and we are kissing in the back of the car, freezing it was just silly. It wasn't like one of those standard uncomfortable love scenes were you feel weird enough. We had no time, no money and no time. He's so gifted and a really nice guy. Everybody was. This movie was really a great time everyone was unbelievable.'


At around this time, the young and exciting actor was featured in an article in the Guardian. In it, Jake discussed the differences between his two quite similar roles (at least on the surface) in Lovely and Amazing and The Good Girl: 'Although they both have affairs with older women, the two characters are completely different. The guy in Lovely & Amazing is just a sweet kid who isn't aware of what he's getting into. The guy in The Good Girl has a dire need to be loved and is clearly disturbed. But it was the complicated relationships that I responded to. The way relationships are usually painted in films is bullshit. In my experience relationships are really complicated, especially when you're young: you're just flailing around and hurting each other. I haven't yet found a relationship in a movie that is true to that.'


Paramount gave up on Zodiac

I came across an old, very interesting interview with David Fincher in which he discussed the reasons for that long delay that we all had to endure between the original opening date of Zodiac and its final release. It seemed to last forever. Now that we have seen the film and can appreciate its intricacy, detail and length, the delay is less surprising but it appears Paramount had not been happy with the length of the version initially delivered but Fincher would not back down. As a result, Paramount decided to not bother promoting the film for the Oscars but we got a better film.


'But according to some accounts, distributor Paramount balked at releasing the even longer version delivered by Fincher, who contractually had final cut, and, asked him to make changes. When he declined, they elected not to mount an Oscar campaign and release the film in March, traditionally a time when movie attendance is low and the studios unload films they consider to be lacking in commercial potential. Fincher, who admits to “doing my best to avoid those kind of political games and all the speculation that goes with it,” is somewhat coy with the subject, saying he is “really all not that certain what was going through those guys’ heads.”


“Truth is, I really didn’t have the film in the shape I wanted it in December anyway,” he says. “I don’t know what their thinking is, but I assume they have research and experts in this field... After all,” Fincher adds with obvious sarcasm, “these are the guys who were working `Nacho Libre.’”.

Includes pictures from IHJ.

18 comments:

Cherita said...

I'm so glad you finally saw Lovely and Amazing! It's one of those movies I never would have seen if not for Jake, and one that I'm so grateful was brought to my attention by him. I love the unflinching, unsympathetic traits of Holofcener's characters which to me make them endearing. And of course, there's Jake's Jordan. ;) No else one in the world could have made that role work, in my opinion, for all the reasons Nicole and others gave. Did you watch the extra features, where she talks about how when Jake walked into the room, all of them started giggling uncontrollably? Even then, he had that unnameable quality that's drawn us all here.

I think in honor of your post, I'm going to put on L&A now. Then it's some commentary!Jake from DD, BB and MM, his alliterative series, to get me warmed up for what will surely be a different, more mature commentary on the Zodiac DC. Cheers!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Cherita - that is so great that you're going to watc h it now - that makes me feel good :D Thanks! Unfortunately the disc I have has no extras so it looks like I'll have to search out another version. I loved the music and I loved the story of these women. It was so good Mr WDW is taking it away with him for working away this week so he can watch it again! Yet again, Jake demonstrates he can pick em.

Love the 'alliterative series' - very funny. Reminds me of when Jake was on Conan back in the Spring and he was introduced as the double vowelled Gyllenhaal. Roll on January 8th!

Anonymous said...

WDW, I was just going to try to cadge Lovely off you but I see St WDW has it so that's just fine ...

Lookit, new 'puter! *

sass said...

Hi WDW,
I'm also glad you saw Lovely and Amazing. I absolutely loved every minute of it. Like with Donnie Darko, I have to stop watching the movie, and pay attention to the extra features.

David Fincher can do no wrong in my opinion. My family has seen all his movies, and we own quite a few of them, with the exception Panic Room, my least favorite.

Fincher's Nacho Libre comment has everyone in my living room cracking up. Thanks for the laughs:)

I'm glad to finally have my Zodiac questions cleared up by you and the article at last.
I couldn't believe the studio didn't push this movie, but just dropped it into theaters like so much garbage.

My next assignment, thanks to you is to watch the extra features from DD and L&A as soon as possible.
xoxo
s

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Anouska - you got your PC!!! Hooray! Great stuff :) St WDW may well forget Lovely, if he does, I'll bring it to lunch *

Hi Sass - I was just furious when I read that Paramount just gave up on this, one of the best films of the year - thee best in my opinion and that's not just boas speaking. It explains a lot about why the film came out when it did. You're right, they treated it like garbage. Good for David though, for sticking by his guns and producing the film he wanted. The studio should have had faith in him.

I have to get hold of a Lovely edition with extras :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks hon *

Cherita said...

I don't want to mislead you that the L&A extras are any great shakes. All they are is a collection of interview cuts with Nicole, Catherine, Emily and Dermot. Jake's name is mentioned only twice. But I always appreciate background about a movie and a filmmaker I've just enjoyed, so it's worthwhile anyway.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Cherita - I still want to see the extras for te reasons you mention :)

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! I liked LAA too, but I've only seen it the once, when it was on telly a few months ago. I must try to find the tape andwatch it again cos I don't remember much about it. I do remember enjoying it though, to the point that when Jake first appeared I was almost shocked to see him cos I'd forgotten why I was watching it in the first place! I remembered pretty sharpish though! He looks mouthwateringly hot and the fact I was the same age at the time as Catherine Keeler's character kinda gave me hope, not to mention made me feel a bit less like a perv than I might have done;D

Not impressed with Paramount's antics, but can't say I'm surprised either. It reminds me of that saying about politics being showbusiness for ugly people - I guess that works in reverse too.

Anonymous said...

wow... i wouldn't have thought... that you haven't seen lovely & amazing before :P

Haha... i love Fincher, the Nacho Libre jibe is totally hilarious. And it's so funny that he finally got a director's cut out and it's only 7 minutes longer. i bet he still has that 3-hour long monster somewhere (hopefully will see the light of day in a couple of years).

everytime i talk about zodiac with friends, i can't keep my anger at how bad the marketing has been for it (in US, at least... being an ex-marketer myself).

i quite liked Lovely & Amazing even before I became a jake friend, but of course i bought DVD back because of jake :P Holofcener seems to make more respectable "chick flicks". i think she also made "Friends with Money" with jen. Aniston, which is quite good as well.

Anonymous said...

Jake was something special in Lovely and Amazing, for sure. Interesting that was where Kirsten first saw him. I feel bad that Zodiac didn't get the attention it deserved, thanks for the insight into the politics. Great column as usual. B.

Anonymous said...

"...if it's going to be a guy who's only 17, why not Jake Gyllenhaal!..." LOLOL!!!! OMG. I wonder how many women were actually saying that! Never mind.

Anonymous said...

I think I like David Fincher. That Nacho Libre comment! With just the right touch, just the right amount of promotion, Zodiac would be getting Oscar buzz. But without Paramount backing, or is it Warner, there won't be much of a publcity campaign...not even for the DVD.
People love to take shots at an actor and say, "Well, his last two movies didn't do well at the box office." But sometimes this political crap sabotages a film before they even finish shooting, and has nothing whatsoever to do with an actor's star power.I am still in a huge sulk about the way Rendition was treated and how short a time it spent in local theaters! I would love to hear the backstory (and you know there must be one) about what happened regarding publicity for it and what kind of discussions were held regarding the marketing, developing a trailer, etc. I don't expect much from AMPAS,but maybe the Golden Globes or the Independent Spirit Awards, or BAFTA will give it some recognition. I don't really "need" that to happen, but I would sure like it a lot!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everybody :) Thanks for the comments overnight. I've had an absolutely diabolical start to my day thanks to my car breaking down. A big thank you to TL for cheering me up *)

Talking of whom... hi TL, hope you're feeling much better now. I know exactly what you mean by feeling shocked when Jake turned up in the film. I'd been so wrapped up in it too, but what a great jolt to the system!

Hey Winterbird - the Nacho Libre comment was funny - the more I hear about David Fincher the more I like and respect him. And to think I blamed him for the delays and now I realise that because of him we got the film he wanted. So all blame belongs with the studio and distributors. To think they would give up on a film even before it's released! And a quality film like Zodiac!

Morning LG - thanks for the comment :) I did like the idea of Kirsten watching L&A and falling for Jake. Totally understandable and how lucky for her, she got the boy!

Hi Bobbyanna - this Zodiac mess is a real eye-opener and shown me that there's a lot more going on than I ever realised. It's easy to blame the director for something but now I see, as you say, that the politics can attempt to kill a film even before it's finished. How depressing that must be for someone like Fincher who puts so much into his films - and I daresay the actors don't like it much. It would be great if Zodiac got some award some where, simply to stick a finger up at Paramount.

agent_krycek said...

The Zodiac stuff is very interesting, and thank you Mr Fincher, you stuck to your guns and produced an amazing film, fingers crossed Hollywood acknowledges it come Oscar season this time.

Must watch L&A again soon, Jake's Jordan is so adorable, and, as an older woman, I can say, well, you just would, wouldn't you, it'd be rude not to ;)

Anonymous said...

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/11/16/gallery-and-poll-who-are-the-hottest-men-alive/

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Agent K - definitely! Good to see Jake/Jordan appreciating the finer points of a cute older woman :D

Thanks for the link Anon :D

paulh said...

Don't get me started about Paramount's treatment of "Zodiac"!

$^%&^

Nevertheless, I have not given up hope that it'll get at least two nominations. If Robert Downey doesn't get an acting nomination, Hollywood will be visited by plagues of locusts and frogs, sent by a vengeful God! (And not in the Nathanael West sense, either ;-) )

As for "Lovely and Amazing," I will tell you that I saw the movie on my VCR, but the VCR died halfway through, so I missed all the scenes that Jake was in. :-(