Saturday 17 November 2007

Share a take with Jake and 'what drew me to a rabbit-centered movie'

If you live near Sante Fe, New Mexico, and you're reading this, then you shouldn't be. You should be joining the crowds of men, women and children to audition for a paid part in Brothers. This isn't a David Fincher film, so you won't have the enviable task of repeating a scene with Jake 60 times, but maybe you could share a take with Jake.


The details: 'The film "Brothers", starring Natalie Portman, Tobey Maguire, and Jake Gyllenhaal is having an open casting call for extras Saturday, Nov. 17, 2007 from 1 p.m. - 6 p.m. at the Holiday Inn in Santa Fe, 4048 Cerrillos Rd. Producers are looking for hundreds of men, women and children, all ages and types, to work as paid extras in the film. The movie is directed by Jim Sheridan ("Get Rich or Die Tryin'", "In America", "In the Name of the Father", "The Boxer").'


That's what drew me to a rabbit-centered movie

As previously mentioned, Donnie Darko is featured on UK TV tonight (BBC2, 9.30pm) and, to mark the occasion of having Jake on British mainstream television (it doesn't happen everyday), I've been doing some looking around... In 2001, when Jake was at the Sundance Festival, he participated in an online chat along with Donnie Darko director Richard Kelly. The interview was hosted by the Washington Post's Sharon Waxman and took place early in the morning. Although the transcript says that the answer came from Richard, reading the context shows that it was instead probably Jake who admitted to participating in the interview while wearing his pajamas.

As with every Jake interview, Jake spoils us and it is hard to restrict one's favourite quotes, so here are just a few. 'Since I was a little kid I always wanted to act, and because of family friends such as Billy Crystal, I started acting in small parts in movies like "City Slickers" in 5th grade. I was the cow... That's what drew me to a rabbit-centered movie like Donnie Darko.'


Richard: You're the one with the dark last name Donnie.
Jake: You created him.
Richard: You dyed your hair black, dude.
Jake: I just showed up and read the lines. Maybe that day I showed up with my hair dyed black, you were really freaking out, but you were calm about the whole thing -'Could we make this just a little lighter, please?"...
Sharon: Why freak out because you dyed your hair?
Jake: Because it's Donnie Darko, not Donnie Dark-hairo. I'm not a cartoon character.

'With material like this you have to take a jump, maybe even a dive, into what looks like a very rocky bottom, but when or if it succeeds, it is extremely fulfilling, perhaps even more fulfilling because of the mystery of it all. And that regardless of price, or time, or name value and all that, is what independent filmmaking is all about. So I would say this is a truly independent film, without having to be called 'arthouse.''


'I had a few comments from people... a wonderful comment from a girl right after the first showing of the film at the Eccles Theater. She said her brother was manic-depressive, and some of my actions in the film and goings on my character talks about, really touched her in a way similar to her brother's experience. On the other side, a guy in the bathroom came up and said, 'Wow man, you play a really nice psycho.' Which seems like an oxymoron, but I guess it's possible. There are people who come up and say, 'I don't get this, or that, but I was really moved.' There's a point in the movie where you have to let your mind go, and abandon what you want to happen, and have faith that what you're feeling is right. And whatever you're feeling it's the right one. That's what a successful film should do.'


'I'm a huge fan [of David Lynch]. The scene in 'Lost Highway' where the man with no eyebrows has a cellphone... what's interesting about David Lynch especially, which is very similar to style in which Richard works - the somewhat conventional, mainstream style of camera-work that Spielberg incorporates, Richard incorporated into a totally unconventional and strange world, that is the world of Donnie Darko. So what you get is this very interesting juxtaposition of character and story, and it's very similar to what many directors including Lynch are trying to do, with making 'Lost Highway' and then 'The Straight Story.''


'It may be idealistic given the cynicism.... but it's just the truth. Nothing can beat talent. It really can't. Look at what Robert Downey Jr.'s going through; he still has support of the film community, because there's talent, and he's truthful in every performances he gives.'

Jake: We went through a hair thing with Donnie Darko and it ended up dark brown. I dyed it pitch black, blue-black for my next movie, "The Bubble Boy" (I totally recommend it). I just love dying my hair. Like Guy Pearce in "Memento" - he has beach blonde hair.
Richard: The depth of this discussion is what Sundance is all about.
Jake: You don't understand the plight of an actor. You have to change people's opinions of you, and if it means dying your hair - that's the independent spirit.
Sharon: You don't get the Hollywood and Vine discussion without a little hair talk.


'I don't normally plug so much, but if you get a chance to see this movie, see it again and again and again. Even being involved in it, in almost every scene, it's an amazing thing to watch. You'll constantly be surprised. It's a f--'in awesome journey.'

To get you more in the mood for a Donnie Darko evening, wherever you live, here are a couple of videos. In the first, Jake is interviewed by Channel One about his efforts to believe what Donnie saw, wanting Donnie to appear 'seemingly sane'. In the second, Jake thanks the cast and crew for their 28-day experience and gives them a little dance.


And finally

Gratuitously, I have to post this Esquire picture again. I am unable not to.


Includes pictures from IHJ and Esquire.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW...I am back from my long holiday...and have been catching up on my Jake reading...of course..that means reading my favorite site...which is this one!! SIGH..I wish I were in New Mexico right now. I was so disappointed when I found out that Rendition was doing very little filming in my area...I was going to take off work and try out for an extra...OH well..perhaps Jake will do another political movie that will bring him to the D.C. area or to Charm City!! I am glad you are giving us more and more about Donnie Darko...every time I watch that movie, I see something new...and this statement is so true about this movie. "There's a point in the movie where you have to let your mind go, and abandon what you want to happen, and have faith that what you're feeling is right. And whatever you're feeling it's the right one. That's what a successful film should do.'" You do have to "let go" to watch DD and enjoy it. As always, my dear..thanks for keeping me on top of all things Jake...hugs Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

hey Michele! Big hugs back! Great to see you - I hope you had a good holiday.

I wish I were in New Mexico too... I do like to think that some fans will get the chance to be involved in the film. But yes, there are going to be plenty of other films.

I'm having such a good evening watching DDarko - everytime I see this film - which is often - it hits me that Jake's acting defies description. He is superb in this incredible film. I found Jake with Donnie Darko and, loving BBM and Zodiac as I do, I still think DDarko is a crowning achievement (of course I have mega hopes for the Moon Project ;)).

So good to see you again, Michele *)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info about the Donnie Darko interview, it's one of my favorite movies.

And the Esquire Gap photo is truly a ting of beauty. I've posted it 4 times already on the forum I hang out on. One of the best pictures he's ever taken, IMO.

Thank you Kate.:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi LG! I could look at that Gap photo all day every day right now. I agree, definitely one of the best I've seen of Jake. Absolutely stunning :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'll travel down to New Mexico... ONLY if it is guaranteed that I get a certain role, that being his first stop after being released from jail. Hey, I light candles and draw bubble baths better than Meryl Streep!

Cherita said...

Thanks for the goodies, WDW! The Channel One interview was new to me. As obsessed as I am, I generally don't look back for old stuff on my own, because I could spend days of my life at a time doing so and go completely nuts. That's why I love coming here and finding them a bit at a time, in context. :D

I watched DD last weekend, and today it was Moonlight Mile, and after both, I was left with the same feeling: I want Jake to do that again. Carry a movie, be the true lead, have everything on his shoulders and pull it off like only he can. I don't know enough about the moon project yet to say whether it fits the bill, but hopefully something will, very soon. Ensembles are great, but I'm greedy. I want to see Jake stretch out and make another character so real and vivid and deep. Someone, please, write a script that can put Jake front and center.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Greetings I Wish - You and me both ;) The bubble bath is a nice touch :D

Thanks Cherita - fortunately I have quite an archive after all this time which is good as I don't want you to go nuts :)

DDarko had quite an effect on me tonight, I don't know why, I've seen it many times. but it did. Maybe it's because the more you see it the deeper it gets. So I need an antidote - and that's Wet Sam in TDAT!

I know what you mean about wanting to see Jake as the heart and soul of a movie. That's one of the reasons why I'm hopeful about the moon project but we'll know soon enough. I suppose there's plenty of time.

Anonymous said...

The last pic is scandal! He is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

(Sigh!) The GAP picture is just...delicious. I remember when the Interview cover came out and his eyes seemed to follow you. LOL!!! I get that same vibe with this picture from Esquire. The camera sure does love Jake!

Donnie Darko is an incredible experience. I hate to sound weird, but there are certain times...especially in the Fall,...when Donnie is "present"...I mean, he's really on my mind.And it isn't just Jake.It's the movie. It's the other characters in the movie,the family, his friends, the kids at school, his teachers, the entire experience. There isn't any other film that has that effect on me...and I LOVE movies!There is something really rare and unusual about Donnie Darko and it couldn't have achieved that without Jake. He is absolutely perfect.What's more amazing is he owns every role he plays. Swoff, Jack, Homer, Holden Wurther,Robert Graysmith, Douglas Freeman,..even Harold Dobbs. And Pilot. I love Pilot.

agent_krycek said...

Watched DD again last night, even though, like you WDW I've seen it numerous times. This time I really 'watched' Jake's performance, it's tremendous, so many layers to it, and how did he get his grin, which is a thing of utter beauty, to be so downright creepy.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning/afternoon everyone! Late today due to the Jakathon movie session last night. It'd be a perfect day for it again today as the weather here is appalling, definitely reminding me of TDAT.

Thanks for commenting Anon - that's a special picture. I'm almost ready to replace my laptop desktop (a Toronto pic) and this could be it.

Hi Bobbyanna - everything about DDarko hooks me - I love the music, the 80s atmosphere, the location, the characters and that fantastic photography and editing. I agree that, unlike any other film, there's not an element of DDarko that doesn't contribute to a perfect whole. My second choice for that would be Zodiac.

You're very generous including Hal in that list :D

Hey Agent K When Donnie's on the screen there's nowhere else to look. I absolutely love this: how did he get his grin, which is a thing of utter beauty, to be so downright creepy. - that's so true. Jake combines beauty and creepiness perfectly - such an expressive face.

I have Lovely and Amazing to watch this afternoon and - admission - I have never seen it before!

Anonymous said...

LOL! You'll enjoy Lovely and Amazing. Even though it isn't Jake's movie, he certainly manages to make himself memorable.For some strange reason, I keep connecting L&A with GG. Maybe I read it somewhere, but somehow, I got the notion that Jake got the part in GG after they saw him in L&A. Not sure why I think that, tho.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bobbyanna! Hope you have a good Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, first off I have to brave the torrential rain to get in some treats to settle down with for the movie. It's gonna be cosy :D

sass said...

HI WDW,

I'm having a good Sunday morning, once again discovering Jake morsels of delight here with you.

I own both versions of DD and have watched both too many times to recount. However, now I know I have to tear myself away from the movies, and watch some of the extras, *grin *especially since I've seen how great they are here on your forum:)
Bye for now...I'll come back later today to read, savor and enjoy this delicious post. Have a very Happy Sunday.
xoxoxo
sass

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sass - the extras are wonderful! And of course on the original we have the Jake commentary. Have a great Sunday :D

Anonymous said...

Good thing you got immunized to Jake after Cannes, WDW - latest Esquire pictues knocked me for a loop: Ive been in bed with s strange virus or something all weekend watching Geo Smiley -

Im briefly on my feet to take liquids and crackers. And to chime in with Donnie Darko appreciation. Loved all the comments by Jake, Richard and Richard's buddy Kevin Smith. Loved the scipt, too - one of those pictures I memorize the dialogue.

Whooops! back to bathroom and George Smiley.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Pia - I'm so sorry you're sick - look after yourself *) I think my immunisation must be working now because Rome was the first time I've managed to see Jake without being ill afterwards! That Esquire pic is incredible... Take care.