Wednesday 30 April 2008

Jake and Reese to save the world in Roland's next blockbuster?

Another week, another rumour... This time a Vancouver site suggests that Jake Gyllenhaal and Reese Witherspoon are to star in Roland Emmerich's next guaranteed blockbuster disaster movie 2012, which is due out in little more than a year, on 19 July 2009.


'One of Hollywood's hottest couples may soon be headed our way. Rumour has it, none other than Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal will be here to star in an epic new flick called 2012. It centres around a group of people who face natural disasters, such as typhoons and volcanoes, that coincide with the end of the Mayan calendar in 2012. Filming is expected to get underway in Los Angeles and in Vancouver in late June. 2012 will hit theatres next year.'


I'm a bigger fan of summer blockbusters than perhaps I should be, but even I took a start at this one, hoping that this is merely just another rumour. Neither Jake nor Reese appear to me to be the kind of actors who would appear in such a film (plot according to IMDb: 'With the Mayan calender ending in 2012, a large group of people face natural disasters like volcanoes, typhoons, and glaciers'), even though Jake's name does have a tendency to pop up in Roland's interviews. Roland was, of course, the director of The Day After Tomorrow. During the publicity for 10,000 BC, Roland mentioned that he needed to have unknown actors, no longer could Jake Gyllenhaal be seen running after a mammoth (a shame, in some ways, I thought). In another recent interview, Roland said that he and Jake were still good friends.


The Day After Tomorrow gave Jake a chance to talk about global environmental issues. The destruction of the world in 2012 - due to the alignment of the planets or whatever other reason - may be less easy to explain. However, I doubt even Jake has the ability to film both Prince of Persia and 2012 in June. Time will tell and we'll know soon enough.

I'd be in London

Talking of The Day After Tomorrow, here is a brief interview with Jake, from the London premiere of the film: 'He and Dunst are keeping a low profile in the British capital, though Gyllenhaal does marvel at the offbeat kind of attention they attract. "We don't even get photographed at pubs," he told reporters. "We get snapped at the coffee shop. Maybe they think we're smuggling something in our coffee cups, because we do nothing that interesting." Although Day After Tomorrow director Roland Emmerich assured the press that the film's dark premise about vicious global warming should not be over-interpreted, it still seemed fitting to ask Gyllenhaal what he'd do if he had one more day left on Earth. Gyllenhaal said he would spend the day with his family, or else "I'd be in London, doing press."'


Here's a picture of Jake arriving in London, just for encouragement, and it needn't be the last day on earth - any old day would do... I would also point out that, in London pubs, people are too concerned with trying to get a round in and the price of a pint to get their cameras out. Coffee shops operate at a slower and more gentle pace, allowing more snapping opportunities.


Another project still on the cards...

Doug Liman, the director of what, for some time, appeared to be Jake's next project, The Unnamed Moon Project, has just been subjected to a Q&A at a screening of Jumper. As this blogger recounts: 'I went to a screening of Jumper at The Symphony Space in their downstairs Thalia Theater. Doug Liman, the director, spoke before the screening and shared he is currently working on two projects: the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame and a moon mission flick with Jake Gyllenhaal. He's also planning a third project, Knight Rider, and described this eventual remake as being made purely to entertain in this era of insanity. He stated, "It's like chicken soup, something that this particular audience will understand."'


One wonders if Doug has too many irons in the fire. Chicken soup?

Pictures from IHJ.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love Jake and Reese to do another film together but I don't think this is it.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - I definitely agree with you - I'm sure this film will stay just a rumour :D I can't imagine either Jake or Reese doing such a movie... I am crossing some fingers here ;)

sheba said...

Agreed, now is not the time for them IMHO. I hope they choose a very well developed project.

Roland is a visionary however, his movies tend to be a little corny. TDAT is my least favorite moveie of all Jake's movies.

Well, we know he'll never do a movie about obsession again (which he's so very good at). He'd be interested in playing a drug addict (Half Nelson) and he'd make a great presidential contender (thanks to JakeWatch's Jake in '08vigorous campaign).

He needs to do The Prince of Persia movie. The PS2 game is growing on me. I'm not good at it but watching my older son on it he's amazing. The Prince even sounds a little like Jake. Now, if Reece wanted a part in that movie...... well.....anyway I'm crossing everything hoping that this happends.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba! I'm with you on Prince of Persia. I love that game - I used to play it years ago and badly and I'm enjoying the PS2 adaptations. This 2012 sounds wrong on so many counts and, as such, I'm trusting it's 'one of those rumours'!

I really enjoyed TDAT and I quite enjoyed 10,000 BC but I want more for Jake than 2012. If Jake and Reese want to do a movie together, this is not the one, in my opinion. Prince of Persia would be far better!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the news! you know what I like? Jake's name next to "London" :P

there are good coffee house in london, I'd recommend PAUL in convent garden... they have some good french pastries too.

but come on Jake... one "TDAT" is enough, please go back being tortured by Fincher or being "ignored" by Ang Lee... lol.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird! Oh how I love to hear Jake talk about London :D Jake could go to a London pub and the worst that could happen is that people would want to buy him a pint! Some great coffee houses in Covent Garden, I'd agree - but the bars in Soho...

Please, please, please, Jake, make another movie with Fincher... I realise I'm biased, but come on, Jake!

BirdGirl said...

I seriously doubt Jake and Reese would be involved in such a project together. Esp Reese. It isn't her kind of project at all.

I am with you on the Fincher front WDW. Nothing could make this girl happier. I will say it again...

Zodiac is Fincher's masterpiece.

Mr. BG disagrees of course. Being a guy and all he loves Fight Club. Silly, silly boy.

paulh said...

"there are good coffee house in london, I'd recommend PAUL in convent garden... they have some good french pastries too." [Winterbird]

I've heard of Covent Garden, but not Convent Garden. ??? And is there really a coffee house named after me? ;-)

I don't know if Jake and Reese need to do a disaster movie (in some ways, "Rendition" was aboxoffice disaster :-)), but I'd like to see them do a screwball comedy together.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bird Girl :D Agreed - It doesn't sound like either of them.

Oh don't get me started on Fincher - I love Zodiac and I would love to have Jake explore his relationship with director Fincher further. Just look what results it produced. I can feel a post coming on!

I find the relationships that Jake has had with his directors to be one of the most fascinating aspects of my interest in Jake. Jake and Roland have shared political interests, but Jake's professional synergy with Fincher is well worth exploring in another movie.

Interesting how you give Mr BG's opinion :D I was talking about this with Mr WDW (working away from home at the moment) this evening and his response was 'Chill - it won't happen' - I should listen to him more!

Hey Paul! Oh, there are so many coffee houses in Covent Garden - in fact some of the earliest in the world originated round there. It's an amazing place - and the pubs are fab too! Plus, that's the first place in which I saw Jake so can't be bad :D Jake does not need to do another disaster movie.

Ruby said...

funnily enough, I used to drink in a pub called The Coffee House in Beak Street, Soho.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Rubes - there's a pub called The Coffee House? Surely not... Is it still there?

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

This Canadian rumour smacks to me of an over-zealous PR initiative from someone at CAA...at least I hope that's what it is!

While emphasising that this is just my opinion and everyone's entitled to their own, God save us from a meaningless overblown "blockbuster" and the Prince of Persia and bring on the Moon Project!

Anonymous said...

Well I must admit Im waiting for Broadway Joe. :)

Nicole said...

Guess what everyone?? I have heard a lot of rumors that Justin Timberlake was spotted here in Columbia!!!!! omg just the thought of him being here is just making me go nuts..but i heard he was spotted 2 days ago so I don't know whats real and whats not..but wow..

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hi Pia. :-)
I like the idea of the Joe Namath biopic too.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Nadine :D Yep, bring on the Moon Project! (Although I do quite like the idea of a shirtless Prince of Persia movie filmed at Shepperton...)

Hi Pia! Still no update on Joe Namath - that's been a few months now. Makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes. And what goes on behind the scenes to slow things up.

Ooh Nicole - you know me and you know I love JT! I suppose thats not a surprise with Jessica on the scene but double the reason to keep your eyes peeled! Let us know if you see any trailers anywhere :D

Zodiac said...

Reese and Jacob should do a thriller together. But they should't play a couple because real life couples rarely have chemistry on screen.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Sorry,WDW,I forgot that filming at Shepperton and Pinewood gave an extra frisson to the Persia project for those who might set up a pup-tent outside the studios ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac :D I really think this sounds completely like the wrong project, but there's little sign this is any more true than any other rumours. A thriller could be good.

Hey Nadine - the London Factor is an essential factor of the PoP project!!

Nicole said...

someone just posted on imdb that they think filming will be at the statehouse on Monday..hopefully thats true because we heard that they are done filming there..

Monica said...

Olá, Wet Dark!

I believe that Jake and Reese are not crazy!

I hate Blockbuster!
I remember assist that The Island because of Ewan and I regretted!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Nicole - Ooh, I hope that's true! Are you going to be able to have a look around?

Hey Monica, I did enjoy Ewan's The Island movie but I definitely prefer to think of Jake making unusual and challenging movies (or movies where he takes his shirt off - I realise that I'm conflictd... :D) I think what I want are good movies.

Nicole said...

if I hear something else about filming at the statehouse monday then I will probably go..gas isn't cheap so if you hear anything let me know!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Don't worry, Nicole, I'm keeping all my ears open and anything I hear will go up here instantly - if Jake's about, I want you to see him!

(I can hardly afford to look at my car at the moment, let alone fill it up with diesel ... It's well over $10 a gallon here now - you've set me off I'm afraid!)

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I totally agree with you WDW..this film.."2012" really sounds like a loser movie..trite and overdone...I pray it is just a rumor. I think Jake and Reese would have a lot of success in a romantic comedy..just my opinion. I am thrilled that the moon movie is still on the radar. I am a huge science fiction fan and would love to see our Jake in a movie of that genre just made for the bit screen. Thanks so much for that last pic of Jake..it took my breath away..such a gorgeous boy..

Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Michele! I agree that this film just sounds bad and not one I want Jake associated with. But we've heard rumours before (regularly!) and will do again. I'm a scifi nut myself and so I want the moon movie too!

I find the whole Doug Liman Moon thing confusing. I thought this project was further ahead than it obviously is. I wonder if Nicole's pregnancy has had an impact on things as she's going to be in the Valerie film.

Anonymous said...

I am with you guys. I don't want Jake or Reese to do this film. Sounds really bad. I think and hope this is a silly rumor. I would rather see him do the Moon film and if Jake and Reese do a film it be a much better one than this.

Hope things are going well on the Nailed set! Good luck Nicole on trying to see them on Monday. I know gas is horribly expensive. We understand. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! It does make me feel better, the more of us that agree this must just be a silly rumour. Lots of fingers crossed for the Moon Project. I want to see Jske in Space - is that such an unreasonable thing to ask??

And lots of good luck to our girl on the ground in SC, Nicole :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone - and it's actually stopped raining here after two days :D Hope you all have a good day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Forgot to say...

Happy May Day!!!

paulh said...

Wednesday was my 60th birthday, and I celebrated still being alive.

I don't really see much point in having Jake and Reese do a disaster movie--unless it's about an avalanche that strands the two of them in a cozy ski lodge while they wait for rescuers to get to them.

Mostly, I want to see them be a song and dance team in a musical romantic comedy. Jake could be Gaylord Ravenal, and Reese could be Magnolia in a remake of "Show Boat."

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Many congratulations for yesterday, Paul! I hope you had a lovely day :)