Thursday 8 May 2008

Jake Gyllenhaal in Action - a report from Nailed's State House

Thanks so much to WDW reader Lisa, who not only got the chance to spend time with Nicole and other Jake fans in Columbia, South Carolina, on Monday, she also got to see Jake Gyllenhaal himself. But more than that and luckily for us, Lisa's daughter is one of the 'squaws' and is filming today inside the State House - a report on that will follow. In the meantime, here is Lisa's account of her visit to the Nailed set and the wonderful hours spent watching Jake in action. You will enjoy this, it's a great account - here we have Jake hugs, blue eyes, the constant battle by Jake to give the brollywielders the slip - and some Jake stripping, yep, Jake stripping. Over to Lisa...


'Yes, it's true. I drove the two hours to Columbia yesterday [Monday], and hung out at the State House, and watched the filming of Nailed. I had arranged to meet two fellow Gyllenhaalics there (hi, Barbara! hi, Nicole!) to see what we could see at the State House. We were very lucky. What they filmed yesterday was an outdoor sequence taking place on the back steps of the State House. So we got to see a lot of Jake in action.'


'They began shortly after 9, which was great for me as I didn't get there till around 9. The grounds of the State House are rather park-like, sorta like the US Capitol but not as grand. As I walked up from the street, the very first thing I saw was a HORDE of little girls, all dressed in these bright blue girl-scoutish uniforms. They were standing in a loose formation and were WAY more well-behaved and calm than one would expect of a gaggle of girls. I'd say there were 80-100 of them.'


'At this point I was on the phone with Barbara trying to find her and Nicole. I said to Barbara, "I see some woman on the steps with an orange dress on." That turned out to be Jessica Biel. As I walked up, Barbara said, "Jake's on the steps too." And there he was. This was some distance from where we were standing, but there was no mistaking him. I could tell from his posture; he just has a distinct way of standing with his head forward that maybe some of y'all have noticed too. He was in a dress shirt and tie. Of course he's playing a Congressman so he was naturally going to be dressed up. They began filming shortly thereafter. It'd take me all day to describe everything in a narrative, so here are just some random memories:'


1. The scene.

'They filmed one solitary scene all day long. It was Jake, with Jessica on his arm, starting up the steps, with the troop of girls and their leaders following behind. Also in the group was James Marsden and Tracy Morgan and some other "name" actors whose names we couldn't recall. Anyhow, they started up the steps and then reporters would come and yell questions to Jake, who spoke as he walked. Then at one point Jessica would reach out and pull the hair on the back of Jake's head and he would holler out. And then they would keep going on up to the doors of the State House, then they'd yell "cut" and go back and do it, or a variation of it, all over again. This went on ALL DAY. (Well, I had to leave at lunchtime, but B and N say that's the only scene they did in the afternoon too.)'


2. Jake viewing.

'Well, he was glorious. I made it my business to follow him, at an angle and at what I hope was a respectful distance, all day. When they took a break and he went to his trailer, we'd head over that way. When he moved over to a break area they had on a kind of terrace on the steps, we'd wander over there. Of course one could not get that close while they were actually working. I think the closest I got was as he returned from a very short break; I think I may have been 15-20 feet away. He looked in my direction though not directly at me. His eyes are THAT blue. On breaks, he would not tarry. He'd hurry right over to his trailer.'


3. Jake working.

'Jake seemed to be the jolliest, most animated of the main actors. He would chat with the crew and his co-stars between takes. At one point he was getting hugs from some of the little girls in blue, which was absolutely precious. He chatted with Marsden a time or two, and a little bit with Jessica. But though Jake seemed chatty and friendly, he was also 100% professional. They'd yell "rolling" and he'd snap to. He seems so comfortable in front of the camera. Well, they all did. I guess that's why they're stars.'


4. The other stars.

'It took us ages to figure out that that was really James Marsden, who plays Jessica's original love interest in the movie (before she gets the nail in her head). He was in full Indiana State Trooper gear, and had a mustache. He also seemed very at ease. He smiled and waved at Nicole later on. In the scene, he gets to shout out "Booyah!" and he did it a million times that day, just great every time. Jessica Biel walked not 6 feet from us at one point. She was wearing this bright tomato-colored dress and some shoes that I personally thought were an unfortunate choice, but hey, I'm not the wardrobe person. She is pretty, and obviously works out; she was totally working that sleeveless dress with her well-toned arms. She was not as chatty as Jake, but she seemed totally professional.'


5. Tracy Morgan.

'He is apparently playing one of the den leaders of that gaggle of girls. He had on a bright blue jogging suit the same color as their uniforms. I think he has the best agent in the bunch. Here's why: EVERY single time they yelled "cut!" within 10 seconds one of the crew were there with a folding chair for Tracy to sit on. I am thinking that the first clause of his contract had to say that he got a chair within 10 seconds, or the film company would be in breach. No one else--not Jake, not Jessica, no one--was off their feet that much. Or maybe Tracy just wasn't feeling well or had a foot injury.'


6. The vibe.

'It was a beautiful day in Columbia. By the time I left it was about 80-83 degrees. We were able to stand in the shade most of the time, and there was the occasional breeze. There are various state office buildings on the State House grounds, and people would come out to watch the filming for a bit, then go back in to work (mental note: write my state senator about the breaks these people take on the taxpayers' dime). The University of SC surrounds the State House, so lots of students finishing up exams would drift by.'


7. The crew.

'These people work hard. There must have been 200 crew people with radios. They all seemed to have a very important purpose and to fill a very important role. We were standing near a young blonde woman who was doing a great job of keeping people from wandering into the shot. I particularly respected the guy with a megaphone who seemed to be in charge of the girls. He'd say, "Don't run, ladies!" when you just knew he wanted to scream, "STOP!!" Jake's assistant was an Asian woman who was always hovering around. The crew were always on the move, bringing water and gatorade and muffins and fruit to the kids, and iced coffee and god knows what else to the grownups. I think it looks like a fun job. It can't be very different from what I do all day anyhow.'


8. The umbrellas.

'I would not have believed this if I had not seen it myself. As I said, it was a beautiful day in Columbia. It was a pleasant temperature early on, but as it got warmer, all the crew people started walking around with golf umbrellas with which to protect the stars from the sun. Every single crew person seemed to have one. When they yelled "cut!" someone would be over Jessica with a 'brella, and someone would be over Tracy with one. Jake kept wandering away from his! If a star headed to the trailers, there would be someone accompanying them with a 'brella. It was bizarre.'


9. The girls in blue.

'Three cheers for those kids. They were all extras, but they were true pros. Barbara got there at 8 a.m., and she said the girls were already there and dressed when she arrived. They stood in the sun waiting for direction, and when someone said "rolling" they were ready to go. They followed Jake and Jessica walking three abreast, with each row of three holding hands. When they yelled "cut" the girls would turn around and go back and wait patiently. Sometimes some of them would walk over to the bathrooms and miss a take, but they'd get right back in formation for the next one. One adorable little girl fell and skinned both knees. There was a "medic" who looks like he'd wandered over from a Deadhead convention; and he very kindly fixed her up. The moms were all sitting way back out of the shot.'


10. JAKE STRIPS!

'If you've read this far, you deserve this important visual. When there was a break of more than a few minutes, Jake would usually remove his suit jacket. Then for about an hour before lunch, they started rehearsing shooting the same scene but from a different angle. Jake started out these rehearsals fully dressed. Then after a few times, off came the jacket. A few more times, and the tie got loosened. A few more times, and tie got untied altogether and was just hanging around his neck like a stole. Then the dress shirt got untucked. THEN the dress shirt got UNBUTTONED!!! and by the time they broke for lunch, the shirt was off; and Jake headed for his trailer in his sweaty undershirt. We were eager for him to get out of the dress slacks too, but no. Anyhow, it was kind of cool. He never seemed to complain; he just kept taking things off to get comfortable.' [WDW: Note to future directors: ensure at all times Jake feels comfortable but hot.]


'Had I been able to stay, I'd have got an autograph. But it was enough to be close to him and to get to watch him work. I don't know if I'll get to go back. I'm STILL waiting to see if they call my kids. But if I don't get to see him ever again in person, at least I'll have these memories.'

Thanks so much to you, Lisa, for sharing this with us, and I can't wait to hear how you and your lucky girl got on today.


The Gyllengaards in NYC

So good to see pictures of this family together: Peter, Maggie and Ramona out in New York City this week. Unfortunately, this does mean that the UK has lost Peter, but hopefully not for too long.


Jake back in LA?

A sighting puts Jake (and Reese) back in Los Angeles - or Santa Monica to be precise - and he was in shopping mode, 'buying jeans and sweaters at Club Monaco'.


Includes pictures from IHJ, FITSnews and links.

38 comments:

Nicole said...

yay!! Lisa did a great job with that report!! I really enjoyed meeting her and I wish she could have stayed longer for an autograph!! I love the last pic of Jake with his shirt off..I thought Jake was filming here yesterday..I hope Lisa and her daughter are having fun today!! can't wait to hear her story!!

Anonymous said...

Dayum I missed the Football(ers) chat last night. Thierry and Freddie are SO 2006. It's Cesc and only Cesc Fabregas for me these days.

Anyway...Jake! Cool post, thanks for all the info. Why wont he film in the UK so we can share the experience? I'm not sure about Nailed it sounds kinda weird to me not sure if it's gonna work as a film, sounds like something critics might hate, but all this insight gives me more hope and of course I'll go see it!

*waves to all old friends*

*clarifies friends are not old, but that they are people LJF has know for an age!*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Nicole! Lisa's given us a brillians account here, just loved it. I've only seen one 'sighting' of Jake in LA yesterday so who knows. I can't wait to hear how they got on today :D

Hey LJF :D You missed all the football chatter and you are the queen of football in my book.... but you're back now! Well, if PoP goes ahead, Jake will be filming in the UK and we can all get to know Shepperton Studios very well :D I certainly hope you will go and see Naied - the more I hear about it, the more I fancy it to be honest - a really good cast too.

Thanks for reaffirming that we're (well not all of us) old and waves back! So good to see you. Hope to see you properly again soon too.

Anonymous said...

What a delightful report! Thanks WDW and thank you, Lisa. You know, I'm curious. With all the great reports from the set, I don't think anyone has yet mentioned seeing David O. Russell in action...meaning in directorial mode. After all the reports about him, I'm curious to know if anyone saw him interacting with any of the actors...

Anonymous said...

From IMDB dated Wednesday, may 7th:

"They were on Blossom shooting a scene with Catherine Kenner and Paul Rubens
AKA (PeeWee Herman)
The house had been rolled with toliet paper"

No mention of Jake, James or Jessica.

I assume that Lisa was describing the shooting form Monday, and when she said yestrday, she was talking about Monday (she wrote her report on Tuesday), unless they filmed the hair-pulling scene over!!

Thansk for the report Lisa!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Bobbyanna :D I know it's intriguing about Russell but so far, except for the 'Caan episode' it looks like quite a merry set. Which is great for Jake.

Hi Anon :D Yes it was Monday - it says so in the opening paragraph, that was the day when Lisa and Nicole were there together - you're right, the 'yesterday' is part of Lisa's account which she wrote the next day. I didn't want to change a thing from Lisa's account as it was so good! What wouldn't I have given to have been there too :)

The filming today may only be involving Jessica (Lisa's daugter should be filming a scene indoors with Jess) - Lisa doesn't expect it to involve Jake, but we'll see :D Thanks for commenting :)

*good girl* said...

WoooW!!! What a great report! Thank you thank you thank you! So many details, it was precious!
Omg I'd love sooo much to see Jake on set, it must be hypnotizing @_@ :P

Thank you again, hoping to read more and more from you, great reporters ;)

*Waves to LJF from a newbie ;)*

Nicole said...

we weren't really sure what David O. Russell looked like but I think we spotted him on Monday..i'm sure he's the one that kept telling them to do the scene over and over..and like Lisa said most of the time Jake was filming he was wearing the pants, white shirt, and jacket and then in another take he would take off his jacket but it was for the same scene..and then jake would undo his tie..and so forth

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Good Girl! Didn't Lisa do well?! - an amazing report! Just brought all the little details out. Hopefully, we'll get another report very soon :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh Nicole - that is one tantalising picture of Jake, shedding one little pice of clothing at a time... I think I need a glass of wine.... gulp :P

Monica said...

Olá, wet dark!
Girls of luck!
My dream is to see this man closely. I just wanted to see it.
Each time I see a photo of Jake I am happy.
Imagian see it up close? Listen to the voice?
congratulations, girls!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ola Monica :D It's so good to be able to share in these experiences, but don't give up hope of seeing Jake yourself :) I've travelled all over the place to see him but the first time was only an hour from my home - you just never know :D But this report made me feel happy too :) When I see Nailed, Im going to think of Jake but also of Nicole and Kisa and all of this.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!

Thank you soooo much for your great report, Lisa! Your report of chatting, hugging and stripping Jake made me happy! :)
LOL, I wonder if Jake is having a kind of David Fincher deja vu when they keep filming the same scene over and over again...

And belated congratulations for Nicole to seeing Jake again - and getting an autograph! What did he write on it "Thanks for your patience"? :D
And thank you for the videos, especially for the Gyllenwalk video! LOL, reminded me a bit of the way the marionettes of the beloved Augsburger Puppenkiste walk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmqzPr4sFZg
They start walking at about 1 minute...

An extra "Hi!" to LJF - long time no see! :)

twistedlogic said...

Brilliant post, thank you both, WDW and Lisa! That was a brilliant report, the next best thing to being there. Thanks again, Lisa - hope you had an equally good day today, can't wait to read all about it:) I have to confess to turning several shades of green reading about Jake's stripper routine - imagine seeing that live and in person *drool* The Deadhead medic would have been called into action if I'd been there!

Speaking of topless Jake, where is the last pic from, is it new? I don't remember seeing it before and it's not like me to forget a topless Jake pic ;)

Love the Gyllengaard pic:) I hope Peter comes back soon and brings the family with him. I probably still won't bump into him/them, but it would be nice to know there's a chance.

Hey LJF! Cesc is lovely, isn't he? but I'm old enough to be his mother (if I'd been a gymslip mum, I hasten to add!)so I don't really think of him in that way. Btw, Anouska, you already have Cashley "30 roubles of silver"Cole so you can't have Thierry as well;) As for the CL, at the end of the night either Cashley or Cristiano Ronaldo will be crying into their Lucozade bottle, so it's a no-lose situation for me:D

Nicole said...

yup he wrote Nicole thanks for your patience!..thats shows that he noticed me! I love to relive that moment over and over when he said my name..gives me chills :)

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hi WDW,evening folks :-) Isn't Lisa just a star??!! I'm so proud of my cyber-sister from South Caroline and have everything crossed for her and Lisa Junior today!

It would seem that young Miss Ramona has inherited all the loveliness of both her parents,what a lovely little chutchy-face! :-)

Oh and isn't it a pity Jake couldn't find an empty changing room and had to get his kit off in the middle of the shop? Just dreadful ;-) :-P

Monica said...

New photos of Jake in set of Nailed:

http://www.fitsnews.com/2008/05/08/we-finally-got-jessica-biel-pics/


Proof that Jake is not in Los Angeles!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Uli! Good to see you :D This report made me grin too! Ahhh, the Gyllenwalk, something to be treasured and savoured...

Hi TL :D Yep, we'd have needed the scary medic, all right! How sensible though that the movie should have a medic on hand when Jake is taking his shirt off. That last pic is from ages ago, 2004, possibly earlier, when Jake was trying on jumpers in a shop. I think it's totally admirable that Jake didn't bother with a changing room - shows a deep concern for his fanbase... I hope Peter comes back soon too :( I miss him.

Hi Nicole! Just relive it - my Jake memories are with me all the time and I keep each of them safe :D

Hi Monica :D Thanks for the link!

About to watch I'm Not There :}

twistedlogic said...

Thanks for letting me know about that pic in the shop, WDW :) I have to say, I'm shocked that it's been knocking about the internet for four f***ing years (I can never just say "four years" anymore) and I've never come across it! Thank you so much for posting, I would never have seen it otherwise. And yes, it's very considerate of Jake not to use the changing rooms;) Or maybe the shop assisstants just told him the changing rooms were closed cos of a gas leak or something so he had no choice but to try the tops on in the middle of the store. Not that I would ever be that devious if I worked in a clothes shop and Jake was there trying stuff on...:D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Very inconvenient for Jake, TL, that whenever he needs a changing room, there's some kind of technical trouble that means he just has to strip off where he is. But, like a trooper, he carries on :D

Git INT on and it makes my heart feel warm :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

^^^ Of course I meant 'got' not 'git' but I'm not really thinking with my brain right now, not with this film on...

Anonymous said...

What a really nice report from Lisa - congratulations to her, and Nicole!

LJF, I remember you switching to Cesc, now :)

Hmmm TL, Roubles? Cashley? :D :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, another wonderful awesomely detailed report! Thank you Lisa! Put a big smile on my face to read things like that from fans. Makes me love Jake even more to hear he was hugging the little girls who play the Girl Scouts and chatting with his co-stars. He seems to be such an adorable and sweet guy. Doesn't surprise me that Jake didn't really want the umbrella and that it is part of a PA's job for all the actors. All the flack Jake has gotten about things makes these set reports really appreciated. These reports are real and not made up bs to create drama. And Jake taking off his clothes...THUD! ;p

Lovely to see the Gyllengaard's! Ramona is adorable. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Just finished watching I'm Not There so distinctly watery and mushy right now :/ but an amazing film, as good as I remember it but harder now.

Hey Anouska - you talking footie again? I'll just nod in the right places ;) This is a great report from Lisa :D

Hi Get Real :D It definintely puts it in perspective when you hear reports from the set from witnesses rather than some of these idiotic sites, naming no names (ahem... Fits...). Jake is clearly working hard and being professional, just as he has been in all his other roles. But all this hugging and undressing :P And we said all that about the umbrellas from the beginning - it's par for the course, but some sites just had to make a meal out of it.

I really love to see the Gyllengaards too - Ramona is beautiful - not surprising considering that pedigree :D

Night all, it's been emotional so thanks for being there, and I'll catch up with you in the morning :D

BirdGirl said...

Great report Lisa. Jake stripping down is a fantastic visual. Mmmm sweaty under shirt. Thank you sooo much.

Love seeing the family Sarsgaard together. Ramona is such a doll.

Good night all.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone :D Finished off last night's Heath viewing some BBM and feel all the better for it.

Morning Bird Girl :D The image of a hot and sweaty Jake stripping down is one to be savoured and dwelt upon... :)

Have a great Friday everyone!

Xenia said...

Morning WDW, morning everyone,

OMG! Like Jake would say 'What an embarassment of riches'...:D
How many wonderful sightings...Thank you ladies, you will make us get the habit!;)
And of course thank you Lisa, this was a great report, very much appreciated in these days of silly speculations...your brilliant account reminds us that Jake is just doing his job, and he's doing it well!:)

Have a great day you all! :)

Anonymous said...

Just looked in and whoa! Great report from Lisa, just transported me straight to South Carolina. It's good to have a report that shows Jake is interacting with the rest of the cast and that Tracey Morgan is 'doing his thang'. I can imagine them all having a blast. We also all know why Jake hurried away during breaks :X Verry good to see, well done.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detailed report! Nice job, Lisa and WDW :)

So much to digest here... at least it's Friday and I have plenty of time in my time :)

The painting of Heath won the People's choice in Australia, well deserved and it's such a haunting piece.

Good day everyone.

Anonymous said...

G'day lil darlins! Thanks so much Lisa and Nicole for your LYRICAL reporting - -

there's another photo of Jake stripping in plain sight while shopping, in a diff'rent venue, but this one is absolutely - poetic?

Anonymous said...

Jake.

Club Monaco pic.


Melt.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone - don't know about you but I'm melting (actually anon I see from your comment that you are too!) - when will the UK ever get air conditioning...?

Good to see you all!

Hi Xenia :D Definitely an embarrassment of riches, but never enough :)

Hey Sheba - it does almost feel like being there, doesn't it? It sounds like quite a cast. I do find the whole thing intriguing, all these girls for instance, what are they up to?

Hey Winterbird - Friday at last :D Thanks for the news about the portrait. I must say that I just don't care for it myself but I'm glad it won.

Morning Pia :D You can never have enough pics of Jake stripping in public places - one a week, please Jake...

Hi anon - that's not in Club Monaco but it is a great shot. Couldn't resist it :D Definitely melting

paulh said...

I loved this post! This site has become the premier site for one-stop Jaking.

The pictures and descriptions of those 80-100 girl scouts are precious! Every time I see them, I morph in Maurice Chevalier.

Each time I see a little girl
Of 5 or 6 or 7,
I can't resist a joyous urge
To smile and think,

Thank heaven for little girls,
For little girls get bigger every day.
Thank heaven for little girls.
They grow in the most delightful way....

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Paul! I'm so glad you liked the post - and the site :DD Made my day.

See you soon, off home now :)

Anonymous said...

oh... i forgot to mention this:

[WDW: Note to future directors: ensure at all times Jake feels comfortable but hot.]

Best advice or what? :P
it's hot in UK here today as well.. but I don't want to complain.

I am beginning to think maybe the umbrella thing is part of an insurance requirement thing... you know, just in case, one of the stars get heat-stroke under such weather and sue the production company or something. it could happen... i mean the lawsuit!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird :D Flippin hot - if Jake were here he'd be losing layers and I'd wanna be there to see it.

I agree about the brollies. I feel bad now that when I saw Peter on set, he didn't have one ;D

Robyn said...

i live in columbia, sc and sadly i never got the chance to see jake while he was here.
thanks for the report and pictures!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Robyn - Good to see you :D I'm sorry you didn't get to see Jake. I hope another time you do :) Thanks for commenting.