Sunday 25 May 2008

Jake on becoming an action star: 'I'd never want to do anything if I looked at it like that'

This holiday weekend Indiana Jones is the film to see. Four years ago, over Memorial Weekend, another blockbuster was released to great public anticipation, largely due, perhaps, to some impressive CGI. Many filmgoers may well have left the theatre with Jake Gyllenhaal on the brain - I know I did.



When The Day After Tomorrow opened in London: 'The premiere was met with a climate change demonstration, plus a one-man protest on the roof of the Odeon cinema by a man dressed in a Superman costume. Writer and director Roland Emmerich, who also made Independence Day and Godzilla, said he would not be making any more disaster movies. "I know this will be my last disaster movie," he said.' Until 2008 and 2012, that is.


A few days earlier in NYC: 'If you sit on the steps of The Museum of Natural History to catch some sun on Tuesday, and notice how spanking clean everything looks, thank the producers of The Day After Tomorrow. At the premiere of the global warming/ice age-themed film, machines spewed soap bubbles all over Central Park West, soaking attendees and baffling passersby. Ruining their shoes on the sopping white towel of a carpet along with stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Dennis Quaid were Kirsten Dunst, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Saarsgard, Al Franken, Ja Rule, Chelsea Clinton and Ian Klaus, and Susan Sarandon, whose daughter Eva Amurri held hands with an unidentified handsome date. We can’t imagine the environmental effects of the dry white gook coating the front of the museum and surrounding trees. We asked a staffer what exactly it was. “Oh, you know. White stuff.”'


After the premiere, there was quite a party: 'After the screening in the museum's Le Frak theater, about 1,000 guests moved to a party in the Milstein Hall of Ocean Life. The party itself was toned down compared to the large-scale arrival event. Restaurant Associates' catering included passed hors d'oeuvres and a buffet with pesto ravioli and a cubed watermelon and goat cheese salad. Pretty decor including white lilies and roses recalled the snowy demise of thousands of Manhattanites in the film—a quiet bit of irony amid the festive party with dance music and martinis.'


You can read an interesting account of what it was like to attend the NYC premiere here.

As for the 'white stuff' that stood in for snow during the filming of TDAT, Jake told Entertainment Weekly, 'Whenever I sneezed, it looked like a mixture of...well, never mind. It was disgusting for months after.' Incidentally, I did enjoy this article's account of the wolf scene: 'On the massive Montreal set, star Gyllenhaal, late of such very non-actiony films as ''Donnie Darko'' and ''The Good Girl,'' gets his cheeks pinked and bangs frosted, then begins an odd chase scene around the freighter, as he flees from...nothing -- the wolves will be added later. After a few takes, Emmerich remarks to his young actor that he's terribly fleet of foot. Gyllenhaal grins beneath frosty eyebrows and replies in perfect movie trailerese, ''Faster's better: Bigger...faster...funnier!''


'The film's cast and crew, for their part, seem pleased (and slightly puzzled) with ''DAT'''s environmental side effect. ''I can't believe a movie has to be the warning,'' Gyllenhaal says. ''I mean, fly into Los Angeles one day and look at the smog.'' ...and Gyllenhaal is remarkably unruffled at the possibility of becoming America's next action star: ''I'd never want to do anything if I looked at it like that -- I'd be like, F -- - it, I'll just stay home,'' he says. ''I'm really tired of people taking big summer movies too seriously, you know? We should all have a little fun.''


Jake and Reese out in LA and Brentwood over the holiday weekend

Because it is a holiday weekend after all, it's not been surprising to have had torrential rain all day, almost up to TDAT proportions - well, not quite. And it turns out it's not only raining in England. There is holiday weather in LA too. With grateful thanks to IHJ, we have new photographs of Jake and Reese out in LA this weekend, not only once but twice! The second set were taken outside Katsuya restaurant in Brentwood. Thanks, Stephanie.







Pictures from IHJ and links.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw TDAT in a cinema and must put my hand up and admit that Jake made no impression on me whatsoever. Nor did anybody else. I think that's the problem with disaster films: the CGI effects are the stars.

Anonymous said...

TDAT is a typical disaster movie.If it was the first movie with Jake that I saw I certainly wouldn't be very impressed.He was very cute but that'S about it.

P.S.Reese is giddy with love;) I've never seen her like that before.

Anonymous said...

Reese's kids have strangely dispappeared from the pictures lately:)*scratches head*

They both look very,very happy, though. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates WDW!

Anon, I've seen Reese giddy before she got together with Jake too.
He seems to be spending all his spare time with her.
I miss the pics with him and other people, like his friends...

Best wishes,

Sandy

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Narcissa - I know disaster movies aren't for everyone and most of them aren't for me either. I knew Jake from DDarko but just loved him in TDAT - always loved Wet Sam :D

Hi Anon - The new pictures are lovely :) To me, TDAT is a typical disaster movie in all ways but one - it has Jake in it :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sandy :D I do like the new pics and I know Jake is busy and so doesn't have much spare time, but I always love to see him out with Maggie, Chris and Peter. Hopefully, everyone will be together in one place again soon! Thanks for commenting :D

Nicole said...

Hey WDW! Reese and Jake look soo cute together..I love the pictures with her in the hat and black dress. I loved TDAT..for some reason I love disaster movies and of course Jake looked really good in it :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I also miss his pictures with other people but I do understand why he spends every moment with her. It's always like that during the first couple of years. You just can't get enough of the other person. This relationship is still quite new. But,of course, I'll be delighted if I see them in 10 years holding on to the shopping bags, kids' strollers and lunch boxes and still gazing at each other with love. I got carried away, I guess. We'll see:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi anon :)

Hey Nicole :D Glad to hear I'm not the only appreciator of Wet Action Jake! I do like Reese's hat.

Zodiac said...

I gave my TDAT to friend to watch last week. Actually, she wanted to watch a feature about the global warming only but ended up watching the whole movie:)She liked it but I did't gush about Jake to her, she wouldn't understand.She's never had a celebrity crush:)

I want a red cardigan. I just realized I've never had a red cardigan. Can you believe that? And I'm a brunette, I would look even better in it than Reese:)Damn you, Witherspoon, now I have to go shopping:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Zodiac, these celebrity crushes or passions can creep on on you unawares :D You think you're immune and then Bam! Jake Gyllenhaal comes along. So maybe your friend will fall as well :) Hope you get the DVD back - lending Jake DVDs out can be dangerous - people don't wanna give 'em back!

Anonymous said...

I think Jake works wonders on women. Reese looks really relaxed and playful recently. Even Dunst looked tolerable when she was with him.

*good girl* said...

Hi everyone, finally taking a break from un-packing my things since I've just moved with my mom: never moved before, pretty tough.. especially not having the internet access for several days, causing serious jake-withdrawal symptom...BUT ...right tonight they're airing TDAT here!(the only Jake-movie, with Moonlight Mile, that they seem to be able to air here...) so as I start reading your great post WDW, there he goes Jakey-Sam having his glass of milk while the phone is ringing and he's not answering ;)
So, off to un-packing again, which I know will end up with watching the movie in admiration ;D
'night everyone :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi anon - No argument with Jake working wonders but please be polite about Kirsten.

Hi Good Girl - yeay, TDAT on TV - that's the one on TV here the most as well. I love that scene with the drinking the milk :D Good luck with the move - it's never easy. Hope you get some time to put your feet up to the movie :D

sheba said...

Hope y'all are having a great wet but fun weekend - we all deserve it, right?

Jake makes a really good point about summer block busters - they have their place and their role. It's just really sad when small, important independant movies are swallowed up in the hoopla of PR and marketing of big films and never get seen.

I'm sure Indy is the film to watch and I'm sure it's gonna be great but tonight (if I may share) I resisted Indy's charms and watched instead a simply unexpectedly wonderful film called Charley Bartlet. I would recommend it to all ages over 14 to go experience it. My heart goes out to those young people who are trying to find themselves. Watching it I could imagine a young JG in the role and how he would have provided so much heart and spirit to the role - though the lead character was so appealing too.

I have no real fondness for TDAT other than Jake's antics on set and fun interviews afterwards. Thank goodness he didn't finish his description ;DD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Sheba :D I hope you're having a lovely weekend. Been a day of Indian Jones and Pimms. Thanks for the tip for Charley Bartlet - it's interesting you could see Jake in it.

sheba said...

Did I say that Robet Downey Jnr is in it? Of course he was superb :DD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh, now you're talking, Sheba :D

twistedlogic said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't give Jake a second thought in TDAT.There was a time when I really hated it and I wished Jake had never been involved in it, but I must admit I've come to appreciate aspects of it now(though probably for all the wrong reasons!)

Jake is looking mighty fine and hot in the new pics, and most importantly, I spy chest hair:D I'm still holding on to the hope he won't have to wax his chest for POP but in case he does I'm grateful to Jake for flaunting it while he's still got it;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL :D Hope you're having a good weekend. I'm glad you've come to appreciate the 'finer points' of TDAT! I thought about you when I saw that the chest hair is on display. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one too.

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW!Well,you did promise me chest hair pics the other day,but I thought you just meant old ones, I didn't realise you'd commissioned Jake to pose for new ones just for me:D It wasn't quite what I had in mind,but hey, I'll take what I can get...beggars can't be choosers and all that;D

Forgot to say earlier, good luck with the moving, GoodGirl. Moving house is one of the most stressful things ever, so I feel for you. Hope you're settled in soon:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL :D Oops I owe you a post! It was considerate of Jake to help out in the meantime :)

twistedlogic said...

Ok,WDW, I'll hold you to that now I have it in writing ;) Maybe in the meantime Jake will stop teasing and take his shirt off, or at least undo a few more buttons. I know, this chest hair obsession is getting out of hand.Maybe it will be a good thing if it goes for POP, cold turkey might work. I can't bear to think about it!
Time to hit the hay now. Nite everyone xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Night TL - hope you have some good dreams :D

paulh said...

Hi, Sheba.

I loved "Charlie Bartlett," too. I don't think it was overshadowed much by other films. It has a couple of jake connections: Robert downey Jr, who was in "Zodiac" with Jake, plays the school principal. Hope Davis, who was in "Proof" with Jake, plays Mrs. Barlett, Charlie's mother. But Anton Yelchin, who plays Charlie, is simply the most impressive actor for his age that I have ever seen.

JoeAnn said...

LOL, before TDAT I could not have told the difference between Jake Gyllenhaal, Elija Wood and Toby Maguire to save my life. All I knew is that they were young actors getting lots of buzz that I made a habit to ignore. After TDAT I still couldn't identify them but I distinctly remember remarking that the kid who played Sam had a very sweet face and made the requisite teen-storyline palatable.

Oh, how times have changed.

sheba said...

Morning all - Happy Holiday Monday - Yaaaaaay!!

Hiya Paul. So glad it's been well received over there. When I went to see Charlie Bartlet, the queues for Indy was huge and I went into the screen for CB there were literally 5 people who saw the screening. I bet by next week it will be gone :o(

I noticed all the links to Jake - I think that's why I was able to see a young Jake playing that part. Not to take anything away from Anton - he was fantastic. He played it with so much heart and was not cheesy at all (incidently, I loved his 'British accent'). Wasn't Hope great - very flaky. ...And of course, RDJ played the part very restrained at first and I tell you I cried, laughed out loud and gasped. Its always good when a film unexpectely reaches out and touches you.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone and a happy holiday to one and all. We have torrential rain and strong gales here so I think I'm staying put :D

Sheba and Paul - thanks so much for the info on Charlie Bartlett. I've had a look and it's not on at any of the theatres round here so I'll have to wait for the DVD. An unfortunate side effect of Indy and Iron Man, both good films, is that they swallow up all of the screens over the holiday weekend, not leaving room for much else. The rest is all kiddie stuff.

Hey JoeAnn :D It is amazing really that you can come across Jake in a big film like TDAT and then go and see BBM (in my case because of the scenery and that goodlooking lad out of TDAT) and get hooked so competely :D I would never have rewatched TDAT if it hadn't ben for Jake, but because of him I don't tire of it.

Hopefully, WDW won't get blown away today... time to baton down the hatches.

Four Feathers with Heath is on UK terrestrial TV tonight at 9pm. Can anyone tell me what it's like? I used to love the original and so never wanted to see a remake but that was before BBM.