Friday 6 June 2008

Baddie Ben - and living up to Jake

It was bound to be the role for him, but now Variety has confirmed that Ben Kingsley is to play the part of the evil Vizier 'Nizam, who plots to kill his brother King Shahrman and blame it on Prince Dastan so he can take the throne.' One trusts that Nizam's dastardly plot comes to a sticky end, but not until Prince Dastan has proven his credentials as a scimitar-wielding, princess-wooing, minaret-leaping hero with sky-blue eyes and an unwaxed chest.


Meanwhile, it looks like Nailed is ploughing on. According to posters on IMDb, today there is filming going on at the State House in Columbia, while yesterday there was film action at the 'corner of Ott and Duncan.'


Jake was better

We've been talking about the progression of Jake Gyllenhaal's career until now, when he is in a position where younger actors are beginning to view him as a role model. Jake is (has been and will be), of course, major competition for actors of his age, such as Kieran Culkin, who was another of the actors with promise who took to the London stage with This Is Our Youth. His experience was not the same as Jake's.


'Culkin, for his part, wanted to be told where he was going wrong. He was desperate to be directed, corrected and affirmed. When he came to London as part of the third imported cast in Kenneth Lonergan's hit play, This Is Our Youth, he was completely thrown when the director went back to New York when it opened and left them alone.'


'Lonergan was going to come, but couldn't. There was nobody to talk him through it. He was convinced they were no good until the last couple of weeks, and absolutely sure he was never as good as Jake Gyllenhaal, who played the same part in the first cast, because he would ask people who had seen both versions and they'd say it straight out: yep, Jake was better. "They didn't feel they needed to lie," he says. "But I would ask, so I had it coming."'


'He also found the process of performance so exhausting that by the time they were a few weeks into the run, he would get out of bed when he needed to go to the theatre and go home to bed as soon as he was finished. He was sleeping incredible hours. "And when I got home, he says, "I slept for, like, a week."'


'Perhaps because of This Is Our Youth, he and Jake Gyllenhaal are often lumped together in magazine articles that dub them the new Holden Caulfields, the current incarnations of that hardy perennial, the disaffected boy at large in a skewed world. Steers has acknowledged Salinger's anti-hero as an inspiration for Igby, so this is probably inevitable. It also seemed pretty cool at first, Culkin says. But now that he's read the same argument about 20 times, it really doesn't seem cool at all. "The whole Holden Caulfield thing is totally overdone," he says wearily.'


Includes pictures from IHJ and Jakegyllenhaal.org.

9 comments:

sheba said...

Hi WDW. Thanks for the Nailed update - Nailed lives :DDD

I love Ben Kingsley. He's an intense actor - definitely in the calibre of Anthony Hopkins. I saw Ben in Sexy Beast and was blown away by his performance. PoP, I predict, will raise Disney's profile up after so many mediocre movies. I hope they give it time to get it right.

I'm so happy for Jake and the choices of projects before him. the really interesting and good ones are now coming his way with filmmakers actively seeking to work with him. Whatever he did to achieve this status he's done it extremely well.

paulh said...

Kieran Culkin is two years younger than Jake, but he's made a fair number of movies. I liked his work in "Igby goes down," in which one reviewer said he was the most talented of the Culkin kids.

Stage work is quite different from TV and film work. Lucille Ball, who was no sluch as an actress, found that leaving "I Love Lucy" for a starring role in "Wildcat" on broadway was physically too demanding for her. So, she went back to television and did occasional films, and was fine.

Ben Kingsley will do fine in "Prince of persia."

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good evening! I've been wined and dined this evening - very nice :D

Hi Sheba! Nailed lives but sometimes it's gulping for air. I give it better than 50:50 :D It's a very exciting time ahead.

Evening Paul - those Culkins are an interesting family. I was thinking about stagework today - because I was talking to people about drama (and this motivated the post) - how hard theatre must be for a film actor. Jake did himself proud. Ben Kingsley could be very good in POP - it just doesn't want to feel like he could do it in his sleep.

Anonymous said...

Poor Kieran... certainly he doesn't need to hear that, it's hard to live up to a Jake Gyllenhaal legacy :P

Actually I always think Kieran is a good young actor, he's brilliant in "Igby Goes Down".

But it's true that theatre is the real test for any actors.

Thanks for the Nailed and PoP news. I hope some good news will finally come to Nailed's way.

twistedlogic said...

a scimitar-wielding, princess-wooing, minaret-leaping hero with sky-blue eyes and an unwaxed chest.

Is that last bit officially confirmed now then? ;D

I feel for Kieron Culkin too :( Jake is a tough act to follow. It's kinda scary to think I remember Kieron Culkin from the first Home Alone movie! It makes me feel so old:(

sheba said...

^ That's probably wishful thinking on WDW's part TL.... would be nice though ;D.

I love that face Jake's making while dancing with Anna Paquin. Come to think of it I've seen him do that before ... and speak with a forced almost British accent when he praised Holmes Osbourne when he interrupted his interview (being stupid and adorable) on DD.

What a lifetime away that was. Someone on the previous post remarked that the earnest and sincere Gyllenhaal that had a lot to say to as many people that would listen is now gone and will probably now only say them through his work. It's sad in a way that he's had to become so guarded but rightly so. However, the man that now stands in his place is just as dymanic but more enigmatic.

Someone else said that they feel motherly or sisterly towards him yet may wanna make out with him (which is definately a little creepy). I think that's the juxstaposition I find myself in with Jake. Not so much the making out part but I am very attracted to him and I admire him so much and yet I really don't know him.

Aah, I digress... I keep doing this to justify my intense like of this beautiful man (inside and out). At least here.. I know I'm not alone ;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! What an absolutely fabulous day too - hot and sunny. A day for a long scenic walk and icecreams. Sorry I wasn't around last night - I get very little time on the internet on Friday nights - it's movie night in the WDW housegold.

Hi Winterbird - I know - poor Kieran. Theatre must be terrifying for youngsters as it's scarey for everyone. And Jake is exceptional and not an act to follow. Some of these criics are painfully honest for such young ears.

Hey TL! I thought I'd throw that in there - if we say it enough then the suggestion will unconsciously seep into the minds of the Disney execs and Jake's chest will be preserved au naturel.

Morning Sheba :D I love Jake's funny faces and voices. Makes me wonder what he's like in the pub when he's had a few - bet he's entertaining and a laugh!

It is very interesting having watched Jake grow and develop, not just physically, but in all the other ways. It's been quite a privilege really. That enigmatic quality is irresistible. The knowing and the not knowing. Anyway, you are most definitely not alone, Sheba!

Have a wonderful day everyone. It's a glorious day :D

Anonymous said...

Makes me wonder what he's like in the pub when he's had a few - bet he's entertaining and a laugh!

Me too, WDW, the true test of a person, I think. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi y'all! Hundred degrees in Columbia South Carolina througnout the weekend - hope all the umbrella carriers are taking care of our people.

About the same here, good morning sunshine, you're gettin' too hot to handle.

Yes. Life of Jake. His many faces. Can't take my eyes off a him. An "intense like" :D :D - ! ! ! -

Saturday is task day, see y'all later.