Thursday 25 September 2008

Hollywood's Disney Day! Jake Gyllenhaal shown 'running around, fighting, doing some jumps' and there's time travel...

There are people in the world who have this week seen raw footage from the Prince of Persia and have seen video of Jake Gyllenhaal discussing his role. Yesterday was the Walt Disney Showcase at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, during which we learnt that Disney are making enough movies during the next few years to circle the earth eight times over in DVDs.


But never mind, because, in addition to another Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and another National Treasure movie, and another Tron movie (this is a good thing!), a movie starring Johnny Depp as The Lone Ranger, we are being tempted into the cinemas with Jake Gyllenhaal as the Prince of Persia - and, you know what? they have me.


While we wait for more accounts of what was seen and heard by the lucky few, this is what we've heard so far today: One site said 'It looked really cool!' (although they had yet to make their mind up about Jake...) Here is what another said: 'It was a montage, basically, with narration of what the film was about cut together w/ interviews w/ Bruckheimer, Jake and a couple other cast members. It showed him running around, fighting, doing some jumps, showed some very rough animatics and storyboarded together shots, some details about the villains trying to get the Dagger. A cool villain with a purple cloak whose arms turned to snakes and he thrust them into the ground. They went after someone looking like TREMORS. Jake looked good with his painted 300 abs I'm sure. Looks promising though thus far.'


While ignoring the 'painted' abs comment, there are several things to note here about the project. Firstly, this film is receiving so much attention now, we can expect to be bombarded with tasters during the coming year or so and we should be prepared for so many DVD extras we won't know what to do with them, especially if Jake has been filmed talking about his role already. Secondly, Jake is 'running around, fighting, doing some jumps'. I ask for little more in life than that.


This site said: 'We got an early look at Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, which featured a ripped Jake Gyllenhaal as the lead. It seems the movie will stick fairly close to the plot of the video games, and time travel will play a significant role.' Time Travel? I need to know more.


Yesterday, we included a look at Ben Cooke, Jake and Daniel Craig's stunt double. It seems Jake is not the only one with a double in Prince of Persia - Ben Kingsley has one too. Here is an anecdote from the travel diary of a Peace Corps traveller in Morocco: [In Ouarzazate] 'I tried taking my friend to see the Taourirt Kasbah, an old mud fort near the center of town, but we very nearly walked into Sir Ben Kingsley's stunt double as they shot what looked like a funeral procession in a small strip in front of the Kasbah. The movie is called "Prince of Persia," and filming the probably 2 second shot of the back of Kingsley's character riding down near a "village" with mourners wailing and a black carriage following was more fun than it should have been. We thought it was Sir Ben himself, and looked rather foolish, but had fun trying to take pictures as my little security friend pointed out people who had cameras out and then his friend, nicknamed "The Beef" walked over threateningly at them and pretended like he was going to tear them limb to limb.'


'A tour bus pulled through and stopped right in front of the Kasbah (we sat on stadium-like steps across the street) and they all had cameras and were taking pictures, so we cheered them on, clapping and screaming; other spectators around us first were confused, then joined in. I made friends with the little baby security man, who spoke Tashelheit, but he told me he couldn't run any notes to the other side of the street. I'd have invited them to Tamazitinu, but, eh… a lost opportunity. I guess I won't be making tagine for Sir Ben or Jake Gyllenhaal any time soon. Or their stunt doubles.'


It is my own experience, that you should always beware 'The Beef' on film sets and red carpets. So ears open and eyes to the ground (or is that the other way around?) to see what we can find out about Disney Day in Hollywood.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

18 comments:

sheba said...

Thanks for your investigatory skills in bringing us this fab news WDW.

Yeah, I saw the article today about Johnny signing up for POTC4 and viewings of future feature Disney/Bruckheimer ventures and I wondered if they showed PoP - now I know. Who are these people that got teasers and tasters. Why don't they be representative and give us guys and gals a chance to view HRH in his glory - no fair!

Jake running, jumping and fighting... sounds like a normal Jake day :DD Why do they not belive that those abs are real? That irks me. If they highlight the definition that's ok, but he had to have them in the first place *rolls eyes*.

I really have no doubt at all that Jake will be great in this role. He seems to be giving it all the attention to detail he gave to Zodiac in terms of the process.

This is good news.... he's justified in his absence from us to make this role the best it can be... I can now wait a little longer for you to reappear, my prince ;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba! It's so good to get all we can get :D It would be so good if fans such as us could get these peeps and glimpses. I would love to know what they saw. And film of Jake talking too. But it does make me hope that we will see a great deal before the final release.

The abs are real!! We know how Jake can do this when a role calls for it.

That's interesting, comparing Jake's approach to PoP to his approach to Zodiac. I agree.

It's good news!

Anonymous said...

The most beautiful man in the world needs no enhancement - how dare they even suggest such a thing! ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there, Anon! I take comfort knowing some people don't know Jake as we do - we know how he can (and has) buff up for a role :D No enhancement necessary!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree! Jarhead, anyone? Any more buff than that is too much, he's perfection. ;)

Anonymous said...

from the PoP photos Jake is more pumped up than in Jarhead. Jarhead's about as far as I'll go. 30 abs - well, whatever.

I admit i am not as gung ho as the rest of you guys about this gig. Ang commented that Jake was hard to photograph - I dunno about letting him loose altogether with horse and whatever weapons ancient persians liked to utlize -

and Ive never liked the idea of lil plastic Jakes at MacDonalds.

Jake complained about being "a colour" on Fincher's palatte -

Wonder what it feels like to be {completed) by stuntmen and CGI technology in PoP - wish I could be a fly on the wall!

thanks for keepin' us up to date WDW!

Anonymous said...

"the idea of lil plastic Jakes at McDonalds" LOL!!!

OMG, they ARE going to put him into Happy Meals, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

hey Zodiac haha happiest meal I can envision! (not really. Im seriously opposed to plastic Jake.)

Anonymous said...

Jake is in good shape but yeah those abs are painted on for sure. Look at the shirtless on set pics of him..,compare the light-dark areas (it helps if you squint) and you'll see the wavy lines and shadows. The body makeup is nothing for him to be ashamed of or you be shocked at. Its esp typical in shooting that kind of movie where the body is exaggerated like in 300.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for the PoP info. WDW.

Already there is Jake, Bruckheimer, and others in DVD extras?! I'm excited! Love it when we can hear from the actors (and all of the others that make the film come alive) right out of their mouths about their experiences while filming! Even though we miss seeing Jake, we know that he is working hard, as usual, to give his best to his work. And that is definately one of the many things we respect and love about him...SIGH...

...Oh yeah, Jake works hard on his diet and exercise to be the buff Prince that is wondering this world to please us all...Too theactrical, ehh? I think he works very hard for his work, and is much appreciated by many of us!!

Also, WoW, and a big thanks for this post of the B&W photos of Jake:) I've always thought Jake looked exceptionally great in B&W pics:D The 1st, Whew!!, Was I a bad girl? was what I thought I was being. I think it was Sheba at one time, bringing out the "naughty side"!:D LOVE IT!! Who am I kidding, thank you WDW, for the beautiful pics of our much adored Jake!:)) Yes, we think perfection!

G'night Jake peeps!

viv

*good girl* said...

"and Ive never liked the idea of lil plastic Jakes at McDonalds"

:D I agree :P ...I mean if I have to have a plastic Jake, at least it's got to be full size... ok I'll stop here before it gets nasty..before *I* get nasty...

Thank you WDW for this great post! It's so great to know more and more about Jake's movies...what is weird is that we already know and have so much about PoP, and nearly have no news about Brothers instead :) but no complain, always good to hear about Jake!

A friend of a girl from IHJ will be part of the PoP cast: I've read that this lucky guy is starting shooting next week in London and he's definitely going to act close to Jake...maybe we'll have some more reports from the set :D fingers crossed ;)

Have a lovely day everyone :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! And the fog is clearing to blue skies (and I have the day off, even better...). Thanks for all the comments :D

Hi Anon 23:04! I was watching the Jarhead special edition extras again last week - I do love that bit where Jake has his hair cut. But what a body :D

Morning Pia! I do believe that Jake is probably having some fun on this one - although I suppose once it moves to all the blue/green screen stuff it must get a little weird. Jake did have a double for some bits in Brokeback, it must be odd, as you saying being 'completed' by doubles and CGI. I like how you put that :D

Hi there Terrified Zodiac! Maybe we'll find lil Jakes in cereal packets?!

Hi No surprise :D I have examined those pics rather closely - ahem - I kind of think the marks are from where the body armour was but it's difficult to say. I need to see the finished product and subject it to intense and close scrutiny :)

Hey Viv! That's my consolation too - Jake's busy, hopefully having some fun working too, to produce something that'll be a lot of fun. I'm counting on there being a lot of extras and it's good to hear that the filming process itself is probably being filmed.

I'm glad you liked the b&w pics - I was in the mood for them. Jake looks stunning :D

Morning Good Girl! I saw that about the friend. Let's hope we hear something :D A full size Jake? I'll take ten :D

Have a great day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Nice picture choice there, WDW... thanks :)

I'm like Pia on this... not exactly gung-ho about PoP (or his buff chest), but of course, any news about Jake is news worthy :P

I am not surprised about the painted chest comment, I think PoP will come out like "300", that's the major trend of movies based on graphic novels and video games. And actually I "liked" 300 myself (as much as I could like about that genre), so I am waiting for Jake to wave those swords with a painted chest on big screen.

Xenia said...

Thanks WDW for all these precious info on PoP. I can tell the gigantic Disney's Machine is warming up...:)

I agree with you Pia about lil plastic Jakes but...if there will ever be one out there I'm gonna make it mine! I'm sooo weak...;)

And Sonia dear, we have to keep an eye on that girl's friend. I wanna know everything!

Bye to all! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Winterbird :D I really liked 300; I thought some of the imagery and set pieces were incredible and evocative - just put me right there in an ancient world of myth and superstition.

As for PoP, I'm thinking IMAX here :DD

Hi Xenia! It makes a change to have a film which will have publicity associayd with it all the way. It's gonna be fun :D have a good day!

Xenia said...

Sorry to spam, WDW, but...have you already seen these Videos?

(Thanks Kendra/Jake Weird :*)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia! Spam away :D Those are great! I'll put em up with thanks to Jake Weird!

paulh said...

Painted abs?

I have no doubt that if the Disney people put out a request to paint Jake's abs, there would be takers. ;-)