Tuesday 28 October 2008

Jake Gyllenhaal and action movies - 'It's the little boy in me that wants to play around!'

Now that Jake Gyllenhaal's back in London, he's hopefully getting a bit of rest to recover from the kind of airmiles cabin staff accrue before getting back down to work - swashbuckling, battling on horseback, running along walls, fighting snake-wielding sand monsters, and leaping naked into luxuriant baths with his feisty princess. So as not to disturb Jake's much-needed rest, I thought I'd take a look at a couple of interviews Jake did during the publicity for his last summer blockbuster.


I got hold of the above magazine today and from the interview in it, it's pretty clear why Jake would want to be in such a big movie as The Day After Tomorrow. Even apart from the highly sensible motive of simply getting one's name out there ('In my experience there have been directors who wanted to work with me but who couldn't get their films financed with me on board. Business-wise, a film like this does help one's career'), there are other reasons.


'I've always wanted to be in an action movie. It's probably part of being a guy. It's the little boy in me that wants to play around! As mature as I'd like to pretend that I am, I also have to admit I am not, and be true to that side. Doing this movie was a case of it being okay to have fun once in a while.' And it really must be cool to have friends phone you from around the world after they've seen posters for your movie everywhere.


Click on the pictures below to read more of the interview, to learn whose books Jake would burn for real, his horseriding experiences and fears, and his earthquake survival techniques and memories. Good to hear with all the flying that Jake's been doing lately that 'I'm okay with turbulence, though it is a little scary. If I had to experience the sort of turbulence that's in the movie I'd probably be pretty freaked out.' And again we get confirmation that Jake was linked to the rather odd project Me and My Monster, which has yet to get underway.



In another interview from the same time (recorded at ym.com but with a link now gone), Jake said: 'I have a silly side, too... But I want to play really meaty characters, and for someone my age those parts are always sad, really disturbed kids, which says a lot.' It's this mix - of the silly and the serious - which has led to such a range of roles. Jake also says that he entertained himself during the long hours of filming TDAT with crossword puzzles ('They're challenging and fun at the same time').


Finally, because Jake is back in England, which cannot help but make me happy, here is a section of a BBC Radio 1 report from The Day After Tomorrow premiere in London, during which guests were sprinkled with white stuff: '"It's not snow, it's soap. It sizzles! It's amazing!" he [Jake] joked. Jake also loved the attention from his UK fans as he told us: "I like the English fans - that was the best part. There were so many people, it's so nice. Everyone was so sweet and cool and enthusiastic - it makes you excited to see the movie for the fourth time! I did almost make out with a 55 year old woman, but that was erm, that was awkward!' Not for the woman, I suspect...



Includes pictures from IHJ, scans by WDW.

16 comments:

Ruby said...

I just came in to groan at the 'Icy Dead People' headline!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Rubes - I thought the 'Icy Dead People' headline was a nice touch :D (I did do a double take...). I hope you're having a good evening!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

PS I hear that Peter might be on Conan O'Brien tonight - be great if someone could check that out for us (and YouTube it maybe?....)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I just checked and Peter will be on Conan but I have no way of getting an upload to YouTube. :/ Anyone else able to do it? Sorry. :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

No worries, Get Real :D Thanks for confirming that he is on.

Monica said...

Good night, Wet Dark!
About the post earlier ... thank you for all links. The interview with Peter and Jake is great!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica - I'm so glad you enjoyed the Peter and Jake video :D Have a good night!

Zodiac said...

Matilda Ledger is three today... Happy birthday, little girl:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey there Zodiac :D I've been thinking about Matilda today and it makes me realise now how long go BBM was and that Matilda will always remind me of it. I'm sure she's had a very happy day :D

Monica said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATILDA LEDGER

:)

Anonymous said...

Great article about TDAT - funny that Jake would burn John Grisham novels. ;) Also, interesting that he was supposed to be working on a film with Neil Jordan, I wonder whatever became of that?

And Happy Birthday to Matilda Ledger. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everybody :D What a day. I had to chisel my car out of a block of ice this morning. I do apologise to Jake for our weather if he ended up scraping a car windscreen this morning :D It snowed here last night.

Hi Monica :D

It is funny, Anon, imagining Jake banishing Grisham to the bonfire! I take it we won't be seeing Jake in a film adaptation any time soon...

Have a good day :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the TDAT article, WDW!!! I was smiling at the answer to the question about horseriding! Jake is surely having his fill of it with this movie, PoP.

Carol said...

Thanks for the TDAT article WDW.

I'd be interested to know what happened regarding that Neil Jordan movie. Neil always has interesting characters and twists in his movies. I hope we see Jake in one of them someday.

I also have to add my Happy Birthday wishes to Matilda Ledger:)

paulh said...

I can imagine throwing "Bonfire of the Vanities" into the bonfire. ;-)

I find myself wondering if Heath Ledger and Maggie Gyllenhaal chatted about their daughters while they were filming "The Dark Knight."

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to be home!

Thanks Anon :D Jake may never want to look at a horse again after this film!

Hi Carol :D Me and My Monster sounds such a peculiar project - with a boy raising a monster. Today, there's no cast attached. It makes one wonder what happened. I suspect Brokeback is what happened to change it and Jake then chose to move away from 'teenage/young adult' roles.

Hey there Paul - I bet they did :) Ooh I loved the Bonfire of the Vanities book, hated the film... I'd happily see the Da Vinci Code on the fire that keeps Jake warm.

Hope everyone's having a ood evening :D