Saturday 1 November 2008

You too can eat and exercise yourself to buffness the Jake Gyllenhaal way

Jake Gyllenhaal's personal Prince of Persia trainer has been talking about his job of transforming Jake into a medieval fighting machine. Ex-Royal Marine Simon Waterson tells us '“There's an increasing fusion between the worlds of fitness and film. Most actors are athletes nowadays. Their fitness is a big factor in whether they get cast or not... Jake has to look like a warrior capable of sword-fighting, not like he's been hitting the gym. He is working out twice, sometimes three times a day, six days a week, for three to four months on top of stunt rehearsals before filming begins.”'


And now, you too, can eat and excercise with Jake Gyllenhaal, because here is Jake's 'daily regimen' (you might want to sit down...).


'5.30am Pre-workout snack: half a banana, some nuts and an espresso.

6am An hour-and-a-half cardio outdoors workout while wearing a 20lb flak jacket to simulate the weight of armour. Interval training - 10min uphill sprint, followed by abs exercises, eg, sit-ups, at the top of the hill. Repeat sequence five times, then a 10min run, followed by stretching exercises.

7.30am An egg-white omelette, a small protein shake and an isotonic drink to replenish salts lost during training.


Lunch Baked potato with tuna and salad.

6-7pm An hour of resistance training using cables to simulate sword fights, pull-ups, press-ups, abs exercises using weights; finish with stretching.

7-8pm: An hour-long deep tissue massage

Dinner: Soup and a protein shake

Snacks/supplements Two litres of water, protein bars, dark chocolate, supplements rich in omega-3, 6 and 9. No foods containing refined sugar, occasional glass of wine allowed.'


There are a few elements of this I could cope with: dark chocolate, (occasional) glass of wine and a nightly massage - although I fear this is the type of massage that makes one squeal - but running up hills wearing flak jackets? Soup for dinner? I had no idea one was able to eat at 5.30am, or that bananas came in halves. It's no wonder we're not seeing much of Jake in the UK; on his day of rest he's probably lying in a darkened room with a damp cloth on his head and a full schedule of daytime TV in front of him and the remote control just in reach. After Prince of Persia finishes filming, Jake may be ready for Zodiac 2.


But before we mount a rescue, it's worth remembering Jake has done it before, although admittedly long enough ago that it might have become hazy. Back at the tailend of 2004 and the first months of 2005, Jake was in full action mode for his role as a modern warrior - in Jarhead. The subject of his training popped up with great frequency in the interviews publicising the film, not surprisingly. British journalist Lesley O'Toole asked Jake how he got so buff: 'I got bitten by a spider - just call me Spiderman. OK, I'd regularly run five miles, swim for 20 minutes, cucle for 35 miles, then take a break, eat and lift weights.'


Peter Sarsgaard reported in a magazine: '[Jake's] regimen was 500 pushups a day... Mine was more like five sets of 100 cigarettes a day'. And Peter elaborated in Entertainment Weekly: 'He went nuts... I know actors say, I got in shape for a role. But he was working out twice a day sometimes, with a trainer who was like a Nazi' (wonder if his name was Simon...).


Peter was hired only a week before rehearsals began and so didn't have a hope of getting into Jake's shape: 'I figured there was no way I was gonna look like Jake.. Then I started talking to one of our technical advisers. he was a sniper and he was a smoker. He saod, 'In the end the only thing that matters is this,' and he mimed pulling a trigger: Marines look all different ways. I just had to get myself in the headspace of it, of what it means to pull that trigger.'


Sam Mendes had been impressed with how buff Jake had looked on stage in London in This Is Our Youth (so, too, had a producer of The Day After Tomorrow). Sam told Empire: 'I was surprised when I saw him on stage in London. he was much bigger physically than I expected and had much more presence.'


Jake elaborated on his Jarhead training for Steppin' Out magazine: 'I worked out for months before. I had a trainer. I did this circuit where I would do a run and then I would have a bathing suit on and jump in the pool and do laps for like an hour. And then I would get out of the pool and have my biking shoes and get on a bike. And then we would lift.' There really is something to say for playing a political cartoonist...


And this new stunning trailer for the Prince of Persia game gives us just an inkling of what Jake has prepared himself for and what we may expect. I think it's gonna be worth it.



Includes pictures from IHJ.

25 comments:

Zodiac said...

OK, "an hour-long deep tissue massage"? Whose job is this? This person should make a secret video while massaging him and post it on YouTube. The internet will explode, esp with Jake letting out an occasional moan.

I appreciate Jake's efforts to get into shape but I still like him lean not buffed. Can't help it.

I'd also like to mention that the first picture posted (I've never seen it although I know the whole set) is interesting for two reasons:) First, what is this woman doing exactly? Second:it's one of the very few times when I see Jake next to a tall woman.I am tall myself. All these Hollywood women are so tiny, I'm tired of it. He's said he likes short women because they can "throw a punch" or something. Well,let me tell you Jakey: tall women can throw anything anywhere plus they have the legs. They look great in boots, short skirts and high heels and you don't have to bend in half to kiss them. Speaking from experience here. Sometimes they also have to help tiny old ladies or tiny pregnant women to take things of the supremarket shelves. Also speaking from experience. Wikipedia says that "epidemiological studies have also demonstrated a positive correlation between height and intelligence"(yes, I've checked that:) Anyway,you've missed on THE legs but it's your choice, baby:)

Look where my post got me *scratches her head*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

OMG Zodiac, you are amazing! And you made me spit out my glass of red through laughing - thanks a bunch... you owe me...

Deep tissue massages make you moan - I had one once, I yelled. Jake has one every night? Je'll be back and blue and will need us to kiss him better :D

I love that first picture! That woman appears to be testing the Jakeness - it's like, 'I know you're buff, I know you're hot, but I'm just checkin' and gives him a prod. Jake doesn't seem to mind, so maybe this is acceptable behaviour.

Ah, so you're a talley :D I don't think Jake has a problem with tall women - although as someone with slight height issues, I'll take the middle ground. Also tall men might enjoy the lifting to kiss them experience.

Is your neck of the woods overrun by tiny pregnant ladies or tiny old ladies? Or do you just keep stumbling across them?

I'll have to settle for giving Jake those hour-long massages and chopping that banana in two :D

I feel bad for Jake, though. It's freezing here and so dark. I wouldn't fancy running up that hill at 5.30am every morning. And in a flak jacket too. I think we might have to break him out of there... Who's for digging a tunnel?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

PS A YouTube video of the hourlong massage would be appreciated and savoured...

Monica said...

Good night, wet dark!

Jake, my love, I am so proud of you!: D

Zodiac, you are amazing! I love the idea of the video! hehehehe

Zodiac said...

WDW, I'm glad I've made you laugh:)

"Is your neck of the woods overrun by tiny pregnant ladies or tiny old ladies? Or do you just keep stumbling across them?"

I've had my share of "can you reach this for me?" in my life. To put it clear: I'm not an NBA player. I'm 176 cm tall. Still, most women in my everyday life are shorter than me.

"Lifting to kiss them experience"? Aha, that's what it's all about. You're right.Jake actually does it, even with one arm.

http://www.iheartjakemedia.com/displayimage.php?album=1220&pos=9

I want to emphasize that my previous post was a joke and I had no intention whatsoever to offend anyone.

I actully think that tough conditions will do good to Jake, who's used to 5-star hotels, Hollywood mansions and, generally, living in the lap of luxury. No tunnels for him. I say,let him take it all in his manly way, grit his teeth and go through it. Sometimes I regret army is not obligatory nowadays, too many men I see everyday are lacking oxygen in a severe way when they finally manage to get on the bus they've been running to catch.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Monica :D I'm worn out just thinking about Jake having to get up for 5.30 am. That's not my best hour...

Hey Zodiac! I have a bit of a problem in supermarkets as they insist on putting my favourite wine on the top shelf and then I have to find a hapless tall person to help me out - being tall is an asset in shopping.

Jake may struggle picking me up wiht one arm but I'm willing to give it a go...

I do like men with a bit of stamina too - maybe PoP training should be compulsory! But I bet Jake will be glad of the rest and will welcome some luxury again - I'll quite happily feed him grapes until he recovers :D

Zodiac said...

WDW, if we ever go shopping together I'll take down anything you want off any of the top shelves:)

Good night.

Monica said...

To put it clear: I'm not an NBA player. I'm 176 cm tall. Still, most women in my everyday life are shorter than me.

I = 161 cm :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Night, Zodiac, and I hope I get to take you up on that :)

Hi Monica! - I'm not much taller than that. But it shouldn't matter with Jake around :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, Zodiac, I also like Jake lean, not pumped up!

Is he getting enuff protein? I HOPE HOPE HOPE he is not taking steroids.

Im five foor eight and a half, Maggie is five nine. Reason why IU love her clothes. I am admittedly shortsighted haha when it comes to shorter people. although Ive had two bfs who were shorter than myself and I lov'd them because they seemed to try harder haha -

However, Jake au natural, just finely excercized, is about perfect, in my view and experience.

His routine seems arduous beyond belief. I sure hope it's worth the seven mil!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia :D I reckon Jake must think it worth it and I am looking forward to seeing the results. All you tall people :D And Mr WDW is way taller than me and likes to pat me on the head :( Maybe when Jake's doing his Unnamed Moon Project he'll have to lose some of the bulk so he doesn't take up too much room on the spaceship.

I fear that this regime means Jake is not taking advantage of good winter cooking in the pubs over here :( I want to waft a rhubarb crumble and custard under his nose.

Hope you'rehaving a good evening!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God Zodiac, you crack me up! I'm so with you in all this feeling. I'm not as tall as you (unfortunately), but I'm 170 cm tall and I don't get this "bending/lifting to kiss" thing. My husband is as tall as Jake, I look short beside him if I'm not in high heels (which is almost impossible) and kissing is pretty comfortable! Can someone tell Jake he should worry about his spine? LOL!

As for the diet and all his work, I'm pretty proud of our boy, but I'm there for the tunnel! :)

Nighty night

Monica (the other)

Anonymous said...

plus...
"I appreciate Jake's efforts to get into shape but I still like him lean not buffed. Can't help it. "

Your words my words, Zodiac!

Monica (the other)

Uli said...

Good morning! Okay, I am starting with Jake's diet and regimen TODAY! (NOT!!!!) Jesus, poor baby! LOL!

Great idea about the video of Jake getting that massage, Zodiac! I especially like the idea of the occasional moan... ;D

And I agree with obviously almost everybody else here - I also like him rather lean... Sometimes when I see pics of the time when he was filming Zodiac I can't believe how thin he was at that time! He doesn't have to be THAT thin again, but at the moment it is bordering on too much - although interesting enough when he is dressed in everyday clothes it doesn't even show that much... But on the set pics from some time ago it was a bit too much for me.

LOL about the height discussion... With me Jake could have a little bit of the "lifting to kiss" experience... It would have just to be me to do the lifting (1,85 m - okay, I am not that much taller than Jake...). I might need the assistance of a fork lift or something, though...

I hope you have a nice day and the weather is not that bad whereever you all are... Here it is overcast but at least not raining - or snowing... So that's at least something! :)

Uli said...

Late, I know, but I finally watched Peter's videos from a few days back!!! Hehe, he was great on Conan!
LOL at the different categories of beards... The Hi-there-I-make-model-planes-on-the-weekends beard...

And what so funny is, when Conan first asks about Maggie maybe playing ping-pong all the time it kind of sounds as if this would be something weird... But when it turns out its only Peter - it seems like that's totally normal...
Mmmmh, do we have to go to Brooklyn to see Peter playing ping-pong shirtless? Or maybe Jake could visit them and use the ping-pong robot? Then I would come for a visit for sure...

And butt hole????? LMAO!

And when he is imitating John Malkovich his slightly crazy sounding voice comes out pretty clearly...

Yeah, thank you Stephanie for capping this and thank you WDW for giving us the link!!!!

In the video where he is signing autographs - at one point he says his name! WTF? Did the woman at about 20 seconds ask who he is?? (like thinking "I'll just ask everybody to sign, but maybe it is a good idea to find out who the people are"...) LOL!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Running late this morning because - a) I began the day by sprinting up a hill, doing situps at the top, lifting rocks and then running 20 miles - or b) I was too lazy to get out of bed.

Hi there Monica! Chuckle! I'm definitely at a disadvantage as I can't wear heels and only wear Nike so Mr WDW has got used to looking at the top of my head. When I saw Jake in Toronto, I was very definitely at shoulder/chest height - sigh :)

I'm proud of Jake too - and I can't wait to get a peek at this armour! Hopefully it doesn't cover too much... Have a good day!

Good morning Uli! Now you are a tallie - that I can vouch for - which means, rather considerately of you, Jake would get no back sprain... And Jake's regimen is just horrible! He should not be out there running up hills in thick ice and frost in the dark. Shudder...

Jake seemed so skinny by comparison in Zodiac. I definitely prefer him bulkier than that. In Rendition he just looked gorgeous and I think he will in Brothers too. But I'm not complaining about bulky PoP Jake as he's working hard for it - and it means there's more to cuddle :D

I loved the Peter interview! The pingpong discussion was bizarre! And I loved the idea that people think Maggie is a world class player as they see balls repeatedly flying past Peter's head. That basement sounds like a great place for a den. I bet Jake's given the two-headed robot a go (ahirtless?). Conan does like to stroke/smell the Gyllengaard facefuzz - lucky Conan.

Hope you're having a good day! I'm off to see Bond this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,

Just enjoying the fact that we had to change our clocks back this weekend. Loving the extra hour right now. And thankfully we are having beautiful weather too.

I am exhausted just reading Jake's fitness/nutritional routine! But I give him huge credit for going through it for the role. Once I read it a lot of how Jake looked made a lot more sense in terms of what he was doing/being trained to get there.

Hope everypeeps are having a good Sunday. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I am envious of all you tally's because I am a shorty. :p

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Get Real! Glad you're getting some good weather to go with the extra hour. It's just yuck, yuck and more yuck here. And my car's flooding again...

But, on the other hand, I got to see Bond today - me and half of the county - and it was great! It was good to see Gemma on the big screen too and I'm looking forward to the next time. But whenever I saw Daniel running around, I was thinking Daniel's doing that as he's been trained by Jake's trainer too so Jake'll be great!

I think the regime does explain a lot and I won't complain if Jake looks miserable and worn out in the next set of pics... He probably never wants to see another protein shake again.

Hope you're having a good day, fellow shorty :D

Anonymous said...

WDW, shoulder/chest height is the perfect place to be! (double sigh)

;)

Monica (the other)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! It really was the most perfect place to be :) (I have to sigh again.... sigh)

Zodiac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zodiac said...

"Jake may struggle picking me up wiht one arm but I'm willing to give it a go..."

Don't think so. I think he's strong enough now not only to pick you up with one arm but also to carry you with one arm for a considerable period of time.


*imagines WDW being carried away into the wildedrness by a strong, silent, bare-chested,Tarzan-like Jake, blue eyes ablaze*

Carol said...

Hi everyone

Just reading that regime is exhausting!!

I saw Bond aswell today. It was great to see Gemma in it. Thought it was a bit different from other Bond movies but good nonetheless.

Have a good evening :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

'imagines WDW being carried away into the wildedrness by a strong, silent, bare-chested,Tarzan-like Jake, blue eyes ablaze'

Zodiac, stick with that thought and frame it!!! I feel quite faint all of a sudden...

Hey Carol! I agree, I thought the Bond movie was very unbondy but I enjoyed it very much, more than the last one. I had a lot of time for Olga.